Favorite non-Disney animated movies?

Anacybele

Every studio Ghibli movie, but my top of those is When Marnie was there I shared a deep bond with my grandfather so I was crying so hard at the end of the movie but I loved it.  I also love Saiyuki requiem the motion picture and Black Butler book of Atlantic.

Secret of NIMH and Land Before Time are definitely a couple from my childhood.  All Dogs Go to Heaven is another that comes to mind.

Although, with the way things are going, everything's going to end up being a Disney movie eventually anyway.  Time for some trust busting.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Disney only aquired Pixar in 2006. While Pixar and Disney entered a collaborative partnership in 1991, Pixar was still its own entity who made the movies on their own (Disney mostly handled merchandise and distribution and supplied the resources; but never working on the movie itself), so Toy Story certainly counts.

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Yes, and it was made before Disney bought them, which you said was fine in your opening post.

The partnership still counts in this case since it still means Disney had some kind of hand in the making of Toy Story, even if they didn't directly develop it.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The partnership still counts in this case since it still means Disney had some kind of hand in the making of Toy Story, even if they didn't directly develop it.

Except said hand was never involved in actually making the move itself. It's like, for example, someone wanting to take credit for a written easy just because they lend the pen that wrote it. If they didn't wrote even a single word, you can't say the essay is theirs.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Except said hand was never involved in actually making the move itself. It's like, for example, someone wanting to take credit for a written easy just because they lend the pen that wrote it. If they didn't wrote even a single word, you can't say the essay is theirs.

Providing resources and all is still helping with it though, no matter how you slice it.

Maybe I should've said movies that Disney had ZERO involvement in, whether it's actual development, providing resources, doing marketing, or whatever.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Providing resources and all is still helping with it though, no matter how you slice it.

Maybe I should've said movies that Disney had ZERO involvement in, whether it's actual development, providing resources, doing marketing, or whatever.

I never stated otherwise. It's still not their movie, however. There are a few reasons Pixar and Disney were on bad terms in the early 2000's, after all.

An argument could be made that one can separate "Owned by Disney" and "Made by Disney". After all, the people that directly work at Disney and make the Disney Animated Canon wouldn't be the same people who work for the sub-divisions that make the movies of the franchises they own. Despite Disney aquiring Marvel, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is still being made by Marvel itself, not Disney. You can say they're Disney movies in that Disney is the chief owner; but not that they're Disney Movies in that it's Disney itself making them.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

Does Space Jam count? 

I would say no since it's partly and probably mostly live action. It was a great movie though.

Edited by Anacybele

Looking over this list, I realised just how many animated movies I still watch.

A lot of the ones I really like, like Into the Spiderverse, Fantastic Mr Fox, Your Name, Flushed Away, Kung-Fu Panda have already been mentioned. 

I'll put them on the list anyway:

Spiderverse: Gorgeous animation, a story that even after a few viewings still hits you in the feels, and while I'm not the biggest fan of the hip-hop/R&B genre they used, I thought the way they used each song was pretty good. Overall, definitely one of my favourite movies.

Fantastic Mr Fox: Been years since I've seen it, but I remember it being a super nostalgic part of my childhood. Speaking of nostalgia...

Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers: Does anybody even remember this? It was like my favourite movie as a kid. Then, about a year or so ago, I rewatched it. Probably the most I've ever cringed while watching a movie. Still putting it on here because nostalgia.

Your Name: I remember someone bringing it into my Japanese class so the class could watch it while individuals were doing their speaking tests. To this day, my favourite anime. 

Flushed Away: Same with Fantastic Mr Fox, haven't seen it in years, but putting it on here because of childhood sentimentality.

Kung-Fu Panda 2: While the first one was alright, recent viewings have convinced me that the second one was much better (We don't talk about the third one, which I'm pretty sure they just rushed into existence once they realised they'd left the Po's father subplot sitting there for years). Better villain, acted as a pretty good foil to Po's own inner struggles, and unlike some other movies (Clutch Powers) the humour hasn't aged to the point where I can no longer enjoy it.

Isle of Dogs: I could tell I really enjoyed this when I started picking apart the plot in my spare time. The few plot holes and stupid moments don't detract from the enjoyment I received watching the movie though. Just a generally really sweet story told with a charming animations style and from the perspective of some really good characters (never mind that I can't remember half their names)

8 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Does Space Jam count? 

Besides that the first two Ice Age movies

I was going to say that by that logic I was going to include Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but then I remembered that Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse are in it.

Still a great movie, though.

The Madagascar Series is a favorite of mine. As well as How to train your Dragon. A favorite horror movie of mine was Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. Man that movie scared the daylights out of me. Let's not forget Spongebob: Sponge out of Water.