Fire Emblem 4 Pairings?

Zihark11

So im finally playing FE4 for the first time and i absolutely love it so far and its great to see all the things i love about Fire Emblem and where it all began. I am currently on Chapter 3 and i know i should play my first playthrough blind but i always need to get every character so cant.

I also really wanna avoid getting Sub characters so who should i pair up with and how do you make your units Lovers? Reason im asking is im coming up to eldigans part and im worried im gonna have to kill somebody off because i dont see my guys surviving the cross knights (Not sure how people got characters promoted at this point)

Basically i dont wanna miss out on the real child characters. Any experts/Vets that could give me some pointers would be much appreciated. 

56 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

So im finally playing FE4 for the first time and i absolutely love it so far and its great to see all the things i love about Fire Emblem and where it all began. I am currently on Chapter 3 and i know i should play my first playthrough blind but i always need to get every character so cant.

I also really wanna avoid getting Sub characters so who should i pair up with and how do you make your units Lovers? Reason im asking is im coming up to eldigans part and im worried im gonna have to kill somebody off because i dont see my guys surviving the cross knights (Not sure how people got characters promoted at this point)

Basically i dont wanna miss out on the real child characters. Any experts/Vets that could give me some pointers would be much appreciated. 

Getting characters to love each other requires you to have them stand next to each other every turn. Certain pairing go by quicker like Ayra/Holyn for one, and doing talks between characters often gives lover points, usually 100, I think? Just pick what you like, really.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Getting characters to love each other requires you to have them stand next to each other every turn. Certain pairing go by quicker like Ayra/Holyn for one, and doing talks between characters often gives lover points, usually 100, I think? Just pick what you like, really.

huh that seems way simpler then i expected. That makes it a lot easier. Thanks!

Just now, Zihark11 said:

huh that seems way simpler then i expected. That makes it a lot easier. Thanks!

Sure, I think theres more to it, but that's the basics, really.

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

pair all the women with men, then you'll have all the children. that way you'll have all the legit childs, however you won't be able to get all the secret items. give or take, choice is yours.

it would also be wise to check the children's classes before deciding on pairings, because Holy Blood, skills and items inheritance play a huge part in 2nd generation.

some people prefer to pair up units for exclusive background stories, others for godlike units, and others again for an overall solid and balanced army.

in case you're curious about how some units will turn out to be, here's some data i took from my last run of Genealogy.

it's pretty much a detailed analysis of the best units i had by endgame chapters, but if you don't want to get spoiled and find out for yourself how they'll turn out to be, you may give it a look after you're done with your 1st playthrough:

Edited by Fenreir

3 hours ago, Fenreir said:

pair all the women with men, then you'll have all the children. that way you'll have all the legit childs, however you won't be able to get all the secret items. give or take, choice is yours.

it would also be wise to check the children's classes before deciding on pairings, because Holy Blood, skills and items inheritance play a huge part in 2nd generation.

some people prefer to pair up units for exclusive background stories, others for godlike units, and others again for an overall solid and balanced army.

in case you're curious about how some units will turn out to be, here's some data i took from my last run of Genealogy.

it's pretty much a detailed analysis of the best units i had by endgame chapters, but if you don't want to get spoiled and find out for yourself how they'll turn out to be, you may give it a look after you're done with your 1st playthrough:

Yeah im not to worried about how good they are i just wanted to make sure that i got all the real characters. My pair ups i started to go with were Azel/Aideen, Arya/Holyn, Lewyn/Silvia, Midir/Beowolf, Erin/Jamke, Finn/Lachesis. once i get briggid and tailtiu i plan on pairing Lex and Briggid and Noish with Tailtiu.

Since its my first playthrough im not to worried but any suggestions? @Fenreir

46 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

These are the pairings I recommend for your first play through

Aideen x Midir, Ayra x Lex/Holyn/Noish/Dew, Lachesis x Beowolf, Sylvia x Claude, Erinys x Lewyn, Brigid x Holyn/Lex, Tailitiu x Azel

Sweet this is a great reference to have thanks!

Not all the subs are bad 😕

Pair up all the ladies.  That's all there is to it.

The pairs that the game pushes aren't bad pairs.  Lex or Chulainn x Ayra, Midir or Jamke x Aideen, Beowulf or Dew x Lachesis, Claude or Lewyn x Silvia, Lewyn x Fury, and Azel or Claude x Tailtiu.  The only character whose pushed pairings aren't all that great is Briggid, but I'd say she could go with Chulainn, Naoise, or Dew to help her daughter be not as terrible.  To make sure pairings happen, have both characters involved in any given pairing end their turns adjacent to each other as often as possible, and activate any conversations between them.

Also, put all weapons and items you want the children to get on the parents.  That's essentially how inheritance works, though children will only inherit weapons they can use (though they'll always inherit items no matter their usage).  Don't worry if some items don't get passed down; they always have counterparts in the 2nd Generation.  The only exceptions to this are the holy weapons you are able to acquire, for obvious reasons.  One hint I'll give you if you want the children to have stocked inventories is keep in mind what weapons the parents are able to use in their original classes, particularly in the mothers' cases.

44 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

Yeah im not to worried about how good they are i just wanted to make sure that i got all the real characters. My pair ups i started to go with were Azel/Aideen, Arya/Holyn, Lewyn/Silvia, Midir/Beowolf, Erin/Jamke, Finn/Lachesis. once i get briggid and tailtiu i plan on pairing Lex and Briggid and Noish with Tailtiu.

Since its my first playthrough im not to worried but any suggestions? @Fenreir

normally people pair up units with Pursuit with other units that do not have that skill, simply because doubling enemies is far more reliable than rng criticals, be them from passive Critical skill or 50 kills unlocked on a weapon.

the most useful pairings for a good run that also provide a bit of characters backstory are: Aideen x Midir, Ayra x Lex or Noish, Lachesis x Beowolf, Sylvia x Claude or Dew, Erinys x Lewyn, Brigid x Holyn, Tailitiu x Azel. that way almost everyone gets Pursuit.

then it also depends on the children you want to use the most. there's also some sword skills like Astra, Luna and Sol that can be passed down, but only few children can inherit them.

then you need to consider the children's class, and the stats they can get from their parents, be them with or without Holy Blood( Major Holy Blood makes a bit of difference in the long run ).

18 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Not all the subs are bad 😕

Pair up all the ladies.  That's all there is to it.

The pairs that the game pushes aren't bad pairs.  Lex or Chulainn x Ayra, Midir or Jamke x Aideen, Beowulf or Dew x Lachesis, Claude or Lewyn x Silvia, Lewyn x Fury, and Azel or Claude x Tailtiu.  The only character whose pushed pairings aren't all that great is Briggid, but I'd say she could go with Chulainn, Naoise, or Dew to help her daughter be not as terrible.  To make sure pairings happen, have both characters involved in any given pairing end their turns adjacent to each other as often as possible, and activate any conversations between them.

Also, put all weapons and items you want the children to get on the parents.  That's essentially how inheritance works, though children will only inherit weapons they can use (though they'll always inherit items no matter their usage).  Don't worry if some items don't get passed down; they always have counterparts in the 2nd Generation.  The only exceptions to this are the holy weapons you are able to acquire, for obvious reasons.  One hint I'll give you if you want the children to have stocked inventories is keep in mind what weapons the parents are able to use in their original classes, particularly in the mothers' cases.

Sweet this is really helpful thanks! a couple of my pairings are similar to this. I think ill get briggid and noish together. My biggest one im undecided on is who lewyn is better paired with, whether it be sylvia or Erin. i was thinking sylvia but the majority of people are saying Erin.  

17 hours ago, Fenreir said:

normally people pair up units with Pursuit with other units that do not have that skill, simply because doubling enemies is far more reliable than rng criticals, be them from passive Critical skill or 50 kills unlocked on a weapon.

the most useful pairings for a good run that also provide a bit of characters backstory are: Aideen x Midir, Ayra x Lex or Noish, Lachesis x Beowolf, Sylvia x Claude or Dew, Erinys x Lewyn, Brigid x Holyn, Tailitiu x Azel. that way almost everyone gets Pursuit.

then it also depends on the children you want to use the most. there's also some sword skills like Astra, Luna and Sol that can be passed down, but only few children can inherit them.

then you need to consider the children's class, and the stats they can get from their parents, be them with or without Holy Blood( Major Holy Blood makes a bit of difference in the long run ).

I like these pairings. Holyn and arya i decided would be cool pair up so i think Briggid will go with Lex or Noish, Thoughts? the rest looks good to me!

I like these pairings. Holyn and arya i decided would be cool pair up so i think Briggid will go with Lex or Noish, Thoughts? the rest looks good to me!

Holyn x Ayra is mostly for dedicated swordfighter builds, since it's main feature is better stats gains due to Major Odo Blood. it's also the only pairing in game that provides some backstory about Holyn.

however, while providing solid stats, there's not much else to gain from it since Astra is already more than enough to kill an enemy, therefore Luna is kinda wasted here.

in terms of skills, Lex would be a better part for Brigid due to Ambush and Elite, and also because Critical from Noish becomes trivial once you unlock 50 kills on a weapon.

in terms of inheritance, Noish would be better due to some swords being available for Patty, while Lex can't provide any weapons due to being an axe user.

overall, i'd say if you want an early sniper and thief fighter, go with Lex. Patty should also be able to gain Pursuit after promotion, if i remember well.

My biggest one im undecided on is who lewyn is better paired with, whether it be sylvia or Erin. i was thinking sylvia but the majority of people are saying Erin.  

most people go for Erin due to Fee and Sety being available earlier in game(and also because with that build, Sety becomes a broken godlike unit as much as promoted Leaf), while Sylvia would usually be paired with either Claude for the Valkyrie staff, or Dew for overall better utility skills(Sol and Bargain).

then again, some people prefer to leave Sylvia alone in order to get some secret items in 2nd generation, that would be not obtainable otherwise.

Edited by Fenreir

9 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

Holyn x Ayra is mostly for dedicated swordfighter builds, since it's main feature is better stats gains due to Major Odo Blood. it's also the only pairing in game that provides some backstory about Holyn.

however, while providing solid stats, there's not much else to gain from it since Astra is already more than enough to kill an enemy, therefore Luna is kinda wasted here.

in terms of skills, Lex would be a better part for Brigid due to Ambush and Elite, and also because Critical from Noish becomes trivial once you unlock 50 kills on a weapon.

in terms of inheritance, Noish would be better due to some swords being available for Patty, while Lex can't provide any weapons due to being an axe user.

overall, i'd say if you want an early sniper and thief fighter, go with Lex. Patty should also be able to gain Pursuit after promotion, if i remember well.

most people go for Erin due to Fee and Sety being available earlier in game(and also because with that build, Sety becomes a broken godlike unit as much as promoted Leaf), while Sylvia would usually be paired with either Claude for the Valkyrie staff, or Dew for overall better utility skills(Sol and Bargain).

then again, some people prefer to leave Sylvia alone in order to get some secret items in 2nd generation, that would be not obtainable otherwise.

Sweet i love backstory. Luna for sure does seem wasted but i love story so that outweighs skills for me. Lex and Briggid it is! i always will prioritize characters over items/skills, i always wanna play the game with every character available recruited and alive at the end.

I never understood why the Swordskills were locked to Swordfighters for passdown.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

You know a lot more than me. My info was pretty basic compared to this, I would rely on this info, much better than mine, since i'm awful at fire emblem anyway.

I think most important things to know about on a first play-through is pairings and inheritance and in that order best pairings in my opinion for a 1st play-through are Ayra and Lex, Lachesis and Beowulf, Erin and Lewyn, and Brigid and Holyn.

Edited by Fates-Blade

5 minutes ago, Fates-Blade said:

I think most important things to know about on a first play-through is pairings and inheritance and in that order best pairings in my opinion for a 1st play-through are Ayra and Lex, Lachesis and Beowulf, Erin and Lewyn, and Brigid and Jamke.

I'm not really sure if I would call Jamke the best husband for Brigid on a first play through. I'd say the best husbands for Brigid on a first play through are Lex (if you don't pair him with Ayra) and Chulainn

5 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

I'm not really sure if I would call Jamke the best husband for Brigid on a first play through. I'd say the best husbands for Brigid on a first play through are Lex (if you don't pair him with Ayra) and Chulainn

I agree Holyn/Chulainn and Brigid are better.

Edited by Fates-Blade