FE4 Novel Translation *Now 100% Complete!!*

duho1rg8lm331.pngaII9GMz70Ww2rJsTqSw0YtY0TCrwvI7t4W8xiCXOOWFRo6zl5HY6TrM_eYgYAY-9wqJdRleb8F69Bt4ChaWBz8XWg1hCEct-dhZgwyzqJFcdpA4V0wMC1cah1Wps2eMxqwM2i5mGimage

--------------------------------------

Link to translation on tumblr

Link to translation on Google Docs: Google Doc, Book 1 - Google Doc, Book 2 - Google Doc, Book 3Images and Art

EVEN IF YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAMES AND DO NOT WANT TO READ THIS ENTIRE THING: I still highly recommend reading from the prologue, to Chapter 3. These early parts address backstory that was not fully fleshed out in the games, including: 1) Loptous' meeting with Galle, 2) the story of the 12 Crusaders, 3) Arvis' childhood, and 4) the attack on Darna.

Follow me on tumblr, or twitter, for new translations the moment I finish them!

I also do FE game localization vs. Japanese translations and analysis posts, so follow if you are interested in those as well!

Links to FE5 novel translation, for those who haven't found it yet: Book 1 - Book 2 - Images and Art

Howdy, everyone! Now that I have finished my translation of one of the FE5 novels (aside from minor edits, like updating to fit the new Project Exile naming standards), and the results of my "which should I translate next" poll are out, I have started work on one of the FE4 novels! It claimed 1/4 of the votes, even with other FE4 book options on the poll! Whoa! We as a fandom are really into Jugdral right now!

8vesmz1vlm331.png

FE4 is my favorite video game of all time, and I could not be more excited to translate this novel and share this retelling of the story with you all. Be sure to follow me at the links above for immediate updates! Of course I'll post here as well, but I mostly use tumblr and the Google Docs/Folders, so those will get updated first.

***Final Update: This project is now COMPLETE!! 😄 Look forward to the FE8 novel translation, starting Jan 2021!!

Edited by LeifOfLeonsterTranslations
Project complete!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I remember someone posting a few of the illustrations a long time ago, as well as some translations of random chapters from the FE4 novels - but I don't think they ever did any translations for this novel in particular. Had no idea there were extra graphics in the novels like those "Genealogy of the Gods" charts or the colored illustrations either, so I'm happy you them as well!

Thank you so much for your work in translating this & the FE5 novel! I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:19 AM, Rosiero said:

I had no idea there was such a thing as FE novelizations!

Same here - this is exciting. I found Genealogy's story to be one of the best in the franchise (the first half, on its own, is the best), so it should be interesting to read a more in-depth take on it all. Thank you for your work!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 1 is now complete! Enjoy, everyone!

On 6/24/2019 at 9:19 AM, Rosiero said:

I had no idea there was such a thing as FE novelizations! I'll be following this. Thank you for all the hard work!

Also, wow, the illustrations are very pretty. I think I have a crush on Edain now.

I didn't know there were novelizations for the longest time either! Enjoy!

And if you think you have a crush on Edain now, just wait until she shows up in the actual text... I've read ahead quite a bit, and she gets introduced strong right off the bat.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, fortune said:

I think I remember someone posting a few of the illustrations a long time ago, as well as some translations of random chapters from the FE4 novels - but I don't think they ever did any translations for this novel in particular. Had no idea there were extra graphics in the novels like those "Genealogy of the Gods" charts or the colored illustrations either, so I'm happy you them as well!

Thank you so much for your work in translating this & the FE5 novel! I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest.

Yup, you're right - there's someone who translated a good chunk of the short stories. They look to be awesome translations, though I only skimmed them because I want to make my own translations some day. Jugdral is my love and I want to provide my own translation to all the FE novels I can, even if there's some overlap. Enjoy!

On 6/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gaia093 said:

Same here - this is exciting. I found Genealogy's story to be one of the best in the franchise (the first half, on its own, is the best), so it should be interesting to read a more in-depth take on it all. Thank you for your work!

There much in-depth goodness to be enjoyed, and even plenty of pre-game plot events detailed in full! I mean, the information is nothing new, but I think it's the first time these events have been provided in full storytelling detail and are quite a treat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just popping in to say I really appreciate your work on these.  I've had the pair of FE5 novels for a while and contemplated doing a brief summary translation of each chapter, but thank goodness I discovered your blog before getting too far along.  I'll have to peruse these later.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Book 1 is now complete! I'll be working on a couple of the FE4 short stories next, then return for book 2 in January.

On 10/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, DLNarshen said:

Just popping in to say I really appreciate your work on these.  I've had the pair of FE5 novels for a while and contemplated doing a brief summary translation of each chapter, but thank goodness I discovered your blog before getting too far along.  I'll have to peruse these later.   

Thank you so much, and perfect timing! Hope you enjoy the read. 🙂

On 10/28/2019 at 9:32 PM, stevenpaul256 said:

Wow this is great! I had never heard of these novelisations... Thank you, and I look forward to reading the rest of this!

I hadn't heard of them either for the longest time... Discovering them was one of the most magical moments of my life. Ha ha. Thanks and enjoy the read! 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

The first chapter of book 2 is now complete!

I'll be posting a part a week, with 1 week break between each chapter, until the book is completed in June.

Seliph's tale will begin in July. 🙂

Edited by LeifOfLeonsterTranslations

• 1 month later...

I was admittedly a little unsure about how I'd feel about the novels, but they've been so good up to what I've read. I'm definitely gonna catch up on them because they're so interesting, and I also love all the translator notes you leave!

On 4/17/2020 at 4:08 AM, Jugdral Defender said:

I was admittedly a little unsure about how I'd feel about the novels, but they've been so good up to what I've read. I'm definitely gonna catch up on them because they're so interesting, and I also love all the translator notes you leave!

Yeah, I've really enjoyed both the novels I've translated so far - FE4 and FE5 - as stories to read, and not just more FE content to share with the world. I've read some short reviews from Japanese readers that some of the other novels aren't as good. The big issue seems to be space... even 2-3 giant honking books aren't enough to fully do these stories justice, and a lot of fine details, like character development, gets cut. But I haven't read any of the other novels personally yet to confirm.

And I can be inconsistent with leaving translator notes, so just let me know if you think there's ever some things I could comment more on, or have other suggestions, or whatever. XD

Tbh yeah, I can see why it's a space issue but the original game also had space issues that got content cut, so I like seeing other takes from different media. With SNES limitations I feel like we lost a good few possibilities that are handled pretty well in other media. It's like seeing all the things you don't get in one media form put into another, and collectively, you get everything. Imo all the things you see in modern FE games are within the Jugdral universe even if it's all a little separated.

Will do if anything comes up that I think of along the way! 

I would love to help you in any way with this translation. I like translating stuff in my free time, and if I'm not too much of a bother, it would be nice if you would allow me to help in any way, checking for errors and the like. You don't even need to mention me at all in the credits, I just want to help because I think it would be fun.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, TokerJoker5000 said:

I would love to help you in any way with this translation. I like translating stuff in my free time, and if I'm not too much of a bother, it would be nice if you would allow me to help in any way, checking for errors and the like. You don't even need to mention me at all in the credits, I just want to help because I think it would be fun.

I'm sending you a message, if you're still interested!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...