E3 Three Houses (Nintendo Direct) Info Thread

I feel like the "both sides of time are revealed to you" is Sothis referring to Byleth's rewind ability, at least I HOPE it is.

It'd be beyond disappointing if the whole point of the plot was to gradually retcon itself.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now I'm on the Three Houses hype train. Wasn't too keen on the anime school setting, but the post timeskip stuff really turned me around on this game. I would prefer if they go the Radiant Historia route for this, but I can find time to play this game four times over to get the happy end.

As for the romance, I think they would have to have different supports for the future and past since it would be weird otherwise. Anybody that thought the S-supports in Fates and Awakening could come out of nowhere, isn't going to like that one character suddenly confessing their love to you five years after you disappeared to who knows where. This would only really work if it is just a straight time skip with no time hopping shenanigans though. If we are time hopping then we are going to have to have supports locked until a certain point in time (like SOV), and/or then two sets of supports for it too work. Either that or just have none of them really deal with what is going on around them.

1 hour ago, Sire said:

The remake is probably the better choice due to the new features and such, but diehard fans may recommend the SNES version (which was never localized). I only played a bit of  the SNES version using a translation patch. I loved my time with it, but never got around to finishing the game. // I never touched the remake, so I can't really comment on it.

umu umu thanks for the tips^^

11 minutes ago, Mackc2 said:

I'm not hearing it, but Claude sounds a lot like Rean to me 

I am not hearing that lol. But i am hearing all kinds of Trails english VAs haha

maybe i am just imagining it because the game looks like CS but with an actual war

7 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

As for the romance, I think they would have to have different supports for the future and past since it would be weird otherwise. Anybody that thought the S-supports in Fates and Awakening could come out of nowhere, isn't going to like that one character suddenly confessing their love to you five years after you disappeared to who knows where. This would only really work if it is just a straight time skip with no time hopping shenanigans though. If we are time hopping then we are going to have to have supports locked until a certain point in time (like SOV), and/or then two sets of supports for it too work. Either that or just have none of them really deal with what is going on around them.

It wouldn't be too bad if the final S-support was for them to begin dating rather than marriage. The ending could easily be far off into the future and that's where marriage could be, since there's been no sign of potential child units as of yet. At least, I hope there won't be.

22 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

I'm not thinking that Time Travel to prevent the war is possible; that's too powerful and idealistic for my taste and even for Fire Emblem itself. I think that it would be more like going back in time to influence events so that maybe someone is more likely to ally with you in the future or has a skill they didn't have before. Mainly as a way to justify the academy being so prominent in the story even after the time skip occurs.

Ah gotcha. That might be more digestible. Like forging alliances to help you in the present by going back and planting the seeds in the past.

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Maybe but I think the focus on time seems to lean into a different theme. Based on all the info we know about the story so far with this trailer and the main theme. The main thematic through line of this story seems to revolve around the idea of “change” or the idea of “nothing lasts forever”. The song itself is constantly talking about “how time betrays” or “wishing to stay in the light and not wanting to face the darkness” which could hint at themes of “loss of innocence” as you grow and “graduate” to where you are forced to face all the darkness this constantly changing world has to offer.  Though that’s just my assessment  

Excellent points, I agree, which is why I hope the story doesn't shy away from showing exactly how cruel the world can be no matter how good characters' intentions might be.

15 minutes ago, TheDreamReturns said:

I feel like the "both sides of time are revealed to you" is Sothis referring to Byleth's rewind ability, at least I HOPE it is.

It'd be beyond disappointing if the whole point of the plot was to gradually retcon itself.

From the sound of it I'm guessing Bayleth gets two visions on what the future might be and needs to be with. Sothis expressing curiosity on what he would do suggests there's some choice to make. 

New article, link here. Confirms that the story is divided into the academy part and the five years later war, that the stories branch based on who you choose,  seems to imply that all the students will have post-time skip appearances (which was expected). Edelgard is empress, Claude is a leader, but Dimitri is still just a prince. Zero evidence of time travel.

2 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

It wouldn't be too bad if the final S-support was for them to begin dating rather than marriage. The ending could easily be far off into the future and that's where marriage could be, since there's been no sign of potential child units as of yet. At least, I hope there won't be.

I still feel it would seem off even with time hopping unless they gate the supports a bit. Even if they just start dating it would seem kind of random to everyone except the time-skipping MC. Assuming that is what he is doing anyway. I actually thought of a way it could work if he isn't time hopping. The MC probably just moves to whatever country his student is from, and it is implied that they just feel in love over those five years. Anybody outside of the chosen house will not be able to support with the MC until they are recruited in the time skip. I kind of like the second option more to be honest. It feels more natural.

9 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Be careful. Fates showed no signs of child units until they were just dropped in.

1 minute ago, Calico said:

New article, link here. Confirms that the story is divided into the academy part and the five years later war, that the stories branch based on who you choose,  seems to imply that all the students will have post-time skip appearances (which was expected). Edelgard is empress, Claude is a leader, but Dimitri is still just a prince. Zero evidence of time travel.

I actually like the thought of no time hopping more than I thought I would originally. It can be a bit messy if not done correctly, and the idea of unlocking the good ending by playing all the others makes this game have quite a large amount of replay-ability. That aside, it is interesting how Dmitri is still a prince. So his father/mother must still be alive which makes me question their relationship with Dmitri, and makes me even more curious as too what happens to him.

Now onto judging the outfits:

- I have a very unpopular opinion on Edelgard's outfit. I like the pose and the outfit itself is badass, but it being so red ruins it in my opinion. I wish they had put more black/dark blue(I think is the color of her boots into her dress.

- Dmitri I love you, but why is your pose you suffering. I really wish they had just given him a sad expression with a different pose. It is too much in my opinion. He looks a lot hotter now, and I love his outfit though.

- Claude still looks perfect. He looks amazing, his pose is amazing, and his outfit is amazing. Nothing new here haha

33 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

I'm not thinking that Time Travel to prevent the war is possible; that's too powerful and idealistic for my taste and even for Fire Emblem itself.

Do you really think after Revelation's super happy ending in a world that was initially intended to have everyone be at each other's throats, and after Awakening had not just one, but two instances where time travel was employed to prevent tragedies, that time travel to prevent a war is too idealistic for this series?

I will say though, time travel to prevent things from happening isn't really good.  However, time travel to ready oneself (or an army) for a threat actually isn't terrible.  The latter is what Ocarina of Time did, and it was handled fairly well.  Granted, it was kinda just a reskin of A Link to the Past's light world/dark world system, but they never seemed to use it as a device to fix writing mistakes.  They resolved the bad timeline properly before deciding to have Link prevent everything from happening, and him preventing the bad stuff was mostly to grant him reprieve in the years that were stolen from him.

Basically, it shouldn't be used as a deus ex machina.  Or if it is used as such, make it interesting, like with Majora's Mask where the time travel was like wishing from a monkey's paw where Link pretty much just got stuck in a perpetual groundhog week until he ultimately stopped the moon from destroying Termina.  Or make it like other works where changing things only brings rise to new problems.

Anyway, it seems to me like time travel isn't really gonna be a factor in this game.  The only way to go is forward.  And, I mean... can you imagine how much of a mess it would be to juggle between the future and past versions of all your units?  Like, what if you wanted to make Bernadetta an armor knight, but future her became an archer instead?  Would she just completely change in the future if you opt to make her into an armor knight in the past?  The progression system would be completely messed up and nonsensical.  No, it only would make sense if there was no time travel involved.

8 hours ago, redlight said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He was said to have mental issuesdue to trauma.

And he looks much better like Thani said

He looks better? he looks like Thor from Thor Rangarok…

Also I hope that we get more units post timeskip… because if not we have a total of only 8 units per house... I know we will get a lot more post timeskip now.... if not I guess make every step carefully then. 

1 hour ago, SimplyUnknown said:

Is anyone else sorta getting Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time vibes? Because that's sort of how I'm feeling about this game. Like we play through to a certain point and then we get the chance to go back and alter the past which will affect the future, like with the Temple of Time. Don't get me wrong; I really am interested in this idea. I'm just a little concerned as to how it will be handled in-story. Time travel has a lot of potential, but can be pretty easy to mess up.

Uhh, I think you should've mentioned Oracle of Ages instead of Ocarina of Time; your actions in the past actually did affect the future (or should I say present). I don't remember that happening that much, if at all, in Ocarina.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Uhh, I think you should've mentioned Oracle of Ages instead of Ocarina of Time; your actions in the past actually did affect the future (or should I say present). I don't remember that happening that much, if at all, in Ocarina.

*Coughs loudly* I think you mean Majora's mask... considering your going in and out of time at many points of the game... and time travelling is literally the main mechanic of the game.

2 minutes ago, Ronman5 said:

*Coughs loudly* I think you mean Majora's mask... considering your going in and out of time at many points of the game... and time travelling is literally the main mechanic of the game.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

No, I actually meant Ocarina of Time because it was a minor thing that affected one specific area; the Temple of Time. I was using this as a reference because it didn't really have too much of an effect on the story, which is what I'm hoping for in Three Houses.

2 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

No, I actually meant Ocarina of Time because it was a minor thing that affected one specific area; the Temple of Time. I was using this as a reference because it didn't really have too much of an effect on the story, which is what I'm hoping for in Three Houses.

Hmm I get it but I don't know how much time travelling we do... or maybe we look into the past which will be stuff like the story we pick (I.e how fates did its "pick your side" cutscene... by showing you the fateful decision first, then going back in time to the beginning of the game.

or another example P5 where the main character is retelling the entire story to Sae, basically the entire past section is a flash back sequence, and then it skips to present in the house of your choice, supporting the lord you choose in the past.

Another way ive seen is maybe it starts in the future, then you go back into the past to try and prevent the future outcome, or make it a much better outcome then is already given...

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Basically, it shouldn't be used as a deus ex machina.  Or if it is used as such, make it interesting, like with Majora's Mask where the time travel was like wishing from a monkey's paw where Link pretty much just got stuck in a perpetual groundhog week until he ultimately stopped the moon from destroying Termina.  Or make it like other works where changing things only brings rise to new problems.

so basically use time travel to help facilitate the main core driving themes of the narrative y'know like what every plot device and story beat should do. I will say though that awakening's use of time travel is actually really good cause it's used to help facilitate the story's overarching theme of "Overcoming the failures of the past". It makes enough sense with very little in the way of inconsistencies and such. It really does add a lot to the game's story if you ask me and the story would actually be worse off without it. But that's just my opinion

Hmm, I do not like time travel. I was under the assumption that the Mila's turn wheel would be like the Chariot Arcana from Tactic Ogre: that it would take a backseat to the main story. I believe IS is taking the Radiant Historia path which can turn out well if they use time travel in a clever creative way, or it can go horribly wrong. I'm disappointed in this trailer because it seems that politics will take a back seat to "the power of friendship" AGAIN. Why, can't IS learn from other tactical RPGs is beyond me. That being said, I still reserve judgement till I get my hands on the game in July. I am afraid that time travel will be used to "save Dimitri" from becoming a bad guy or some garbage like that. I want consequences for characters' actions for once.

Edelgard's new design is giving strong Game of Thrones Daenerys vibes if I may say so. Metal Gear Solid Punished Dimitri does intrigue me, but I hope his transition from goody-two-shoes to bloodthirsty general is handled with care. 

Edited by Leif

When I imagined what time travel would be like in 3H, I kind of imagined it like Virtue's Last Reward. It's been what, 5? 6 years? since I've played it, so forgive me if my memory is spotty, but here's how I remember it:

Basically, the game is a visual novel (more or less) with many many branching paths. This necessitated allowing the player to jump to different branching paths and choices, but could only be done after the player had completed at least one route. Think of it like jumping to chapter 6 in Fates. I doubt that 3H has "branching paths", but instead 3(or 4..?) routes based on whose house you choose. But what if you could jump to individual chapters after you complete them? It honestly could get super messy and convoluted, so it probably won't be the case. I know a lot of veteran FE fans are really into dealing with the consequences of your actions; if a unit dies, they stay dead. But I think it could be viable to allow players to jump back to older chapters to redo it all, to set up later chapters to be more in their favor.. or something. I'm not a game designer, haha.

I also honestly feel like time travel will be more story based, though. If there's even time travel to begin with.. Maybe there will be a moment across routes where Byleth gets to go back into the past or something.

I also really like the idea of it being Ocarina of Time style.. but that doesn't fit the kind of game Fire Emblem is. 

Most likely.. Sothis was just referring to the Turnwheel mechanic. We're probably blowing this way out of proportion.. but the way it was said in the trailer was just really interesting. 

34 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

so basically use time travel to help facilitate the main core driving themes of the narrative y'know like what every plot device and story beat should do. I will say though that awakening's use of time travel is actually really good cause it's used to help facilitate the story's overarching theme of "Overcoming the failures of the past". It makes enough sense with very little in the way of inconsistencies and such. It really does add a lot to the game's story if you ask me and the story would actually be worse off without it. But that's just my opinion

Never really implied Awakening's instances of it were bad.  I did say they were idealistic, but that was more to respond to this notion that FE being idealistic is a new thing, 'cuz it really isn't.

When I talk about bad usage of time travel, I'm thinking more when writers have written themselves into a corner and need time travel to make things progress, or when they use it simply as a deus ex machina.  I'd classify the fears surrounding it - the idea that "route four" would just be you going back in time to prevent everything bad from happening - as something of a deus ex machina unless the conflict was actually resolved properly in the other three story branches.  Or if it's like Revelation where you're presented with different possibilities and then they're just like, "okay, but now here's the good ending," and make you question why you'd even want the other endings.

I'm neutral towards the concept of time travel. To me, it's something that can be good or bad dependent solely on the execution.

I'd say Awakening had potential, but didn't use it to it's fullest extent. The whole time travel thing only serves as a gimmick to bring in Lucina, and it loses its relevance after that. Didn't help that the other children were thrown into optional Paralogues and thus had minimal impact on the story.

The press releases have been saying that the games are split into two parts, the pre-and post timeskip segments, with no mention of time travel. If traveling through time was a major part of the game I think they'd have mentioned it by now.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one's been really talking about how much Byleth's hair color clashes with his outfit:

008-white-byleth.jpg

Really light green doesn't go well together with black. Maybe Byleth will get a less clashing outfit post-timeskip? And if everyone's getting a new timeskip appearance, F!Byleth could get a better outfit too. Not sure how I feel about seeing the post-timeskip appearances of the other students (I think I'd rather just see them in the game and be surprised), but I want to see Byleth's timeskip appearance. Which hopefully isn't the same, but with light green hair.

I'm guessing the next batch of famitsu info will very likely be next week after all. It honestly makes sense the final 3 characters after this weeks batch is it to complete it. Will likely have details on the timeskip stuff(like some differences) and some other features not yet talked about.

Sorry but that scene with Byleth and his sword glowing and seeing a rewind of the 3 and Sothis's line definitely seems way too important I feel time will definitely have some impact here to some extent than only the rewind turn mechanic.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

19 minutes ago, Calico said:

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one's been really talking about how much Byleth's hair color clashes with his outfit:

Really light green doesn't go well together with black. Maybe Byleth will get a less clashing outfit post-timeskip? And if everyone's getting a new timeskip appearance, F!Byleth could get a better outfit too. Not sure how I feel about seeing the post-timeskip appearances of the other students (I think I'd rather just see them in the game and be surprised), but I want to see Byleth's timeskip appearance. Which hopefully isn't the same, but with light green hair.

I've been assuming this is post-time skip Byleth, since we've only seen light-haired Byleth alongside the other time skip designs.

And to be honest, Byleth's color palette has always been crap. The inclusion of lots of saturated colors in 3H's cast kinda makes me wanna barf. I don't think that really sets the tone for a FE game. Fates and Awakening had bright colors too, but at least the palettes actually, uh, worked. Byleth's design has been a mess in my mind from day 1.. but I really like his silhouette and all the individual pieces. There's not really anything good I can personally say about female Byleth's look. But you're right, the light-green hair kinda worsens Byleth's design.