Luigi's Mansion 3 Discussion Thread: Let's-a go, E3!

Anacybele

New trailer and stuff! New thread here too because my original one is too old now. My only gripe is that we STILL DON'T HAVE A FUCKING RELEASE DATE. This annoyed me so much. Didn't even tell us if it's coming in fall or winter or whatever. Like, really? They couldn't even tell us that much? I feel like I'm going to be waiting so long...

But this game looks awesome and so fun! It's looking to be the best in the series too! The story is that Luigi and his friends are taking a vacation in a nice hotel when things just turn real sour and Luigi has to save everyone. We see Mario and friends all trapped in paintings (of course). Luigi's got a big task on his hand this time!

Luigi has a new slam attack and suction attack, and his new Poltergust is called the Poltergust G-00. We also get more involvement from Gooigi in the gameplay. Scarescraper is back as well.

Here's some artwork and screens!

My favorite is the art of Luigi doing his new slam attack. So cool! I can't wait to spam this move, it looks so awesome. XD

Also, does Peach not pack light at all or what? lol That is a LOT of suitcases! Also an odd change after she only took ONE suitcase with her around the WORLD in Odyssey. lmao

Also, Treehouse is about to show gameplay and stuff!

Edited by Anacybele

Morty the Director was a great showcase. Lots of character in boss ghosts, and it's interesting you won't have to defeat them all, which is something even the original game couldn't claim. Goo-igi is also a game changing mechanic. Being able to do these co-op puzzles in single player adds to the gameplay variety. Kind of morbid though that Luigi is carrying around his goo clone on his back.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Morty the Director was a great showcase. Lots of character in boss ghosts, and it's interesting you won't have to defeat them all, which is something even the original game couldn't claim. Goo-igi is also a game changing mechanic. Being able to do these co-op puzzles in single player adds to the gameplay variety. Kind of morbid though that Luigi is carrying around his goo clone on his back.

Yeah and I find it funny that he shares his name with Morty the Ghost type gym leader from Pokemon. XD

Gooigi having more of a role is cool, yes! But how is Luigi carrying him around morbid? Sure it's a bit weird, but I don't find it morbid. Besides, I dunno how else he's gonna travel with Luigi unless he followed him everywhere and that wouldn't work since Gooigi has weaknesses to fire and water. He couldn't follow Luigi through water. And he's made of goo, and obviously people in real life can just carry goo inside something. 😛

My favourite thing is how this game seems to be trying to go for a "best of both worlds" approach, taking things from both of the series's previous entries and combining them to make something truly great. Take, for instance, the location. We get one big, semi-open world to explore (best of LM1), that seems to be divided in themed areas to add variety to the scenery (best of LM2). If they keep this mindset throughout the game, it's going to be amazing.

This isn't to say that this game has nothing new, though. The new combat mechanics really stood out to me. Slamming ghosts into the ground is surprisingly brutal, and I bet it's going to be a highly satisfying move to use. I'm hoping they'll up the difficulty a bit, have you be swarmed by ghosts, so using the phantoms themselves as weapons is encouraged a legit strategy - that'd be hilarious. And it's not just the enemies, the furniture isn't safe either! I wish they do like, say, Lego games and put a lot of stuff everywhere to break. That'd be so much fun.

Oh, I don't know about you, but I was NOT expecting vacuum farts to be a move - let alone the only way to jump! That feels like something out of a Wario game, not a Luigi game! But, you won't hear any complaints from me.

Goo-igi is interesting. Aside from having a ridiculous name, a second Luigi with noclip but a kryptonite of his own seems like it could make for some fun situations and puzzles. More than that, though, co-op campaign sounds almost too good to be true. Thanks, muck monster. Now the only problem is that people are going to fight over who gets to be the goo.

Scarescraper is back! I have some very fond memories of the online from way back when. It was my first (very limited, of course, but still) online experience ever, and boy was it ever fun. And even when playing alone, it was a really fun, arcade-ish gamemode. I look forward to reliving those days. This being Nintendo, though, we'd best keep our hopes low about the online side of it. Nintendon't understand online, after all. Please forgive me...

Let me talk a bit about the story. Yes, the story! I wouldn't really expect much of a story from most Mario games, but I dig the setting they're going for here. It's different. Instead of "The ghosts are there Luigi they got Mario, go get ghosts", like the last two games, it's "Oh shit the ghosts are HERE Luigi they got literally everyone but you, go get ghosts, oh and nobody can get out so you'll have to sort that out too". They've raised the stakes, somehow, and I like that, I really like that.

Finally, my thoughts on the visuals. It's pretty, really pretty, almost unbelievable how pretty it's turning out to be. It seems to be closer to LM2 than 1 aesthetically, which will likely disappoint some people, but I personally prefer it this way. In my opinion, LM2 has a lot more charm than LM1, and I don't think the loss in "spookiness" is really all that much of a pity. I'd just like it if they made things darker than they were in LM2. Justify that flashlight, please! You know that portion of LM2's final battle, where everything's pitch black and King Boo is pursuing you, and you need to reveal obstacles with your flashlight so you can keep running for your life? Give me more of that, please.

That's all, I think. I agree, lack of release date is a shame, but at least it seems like it's most definitely coming out this year, so there's that. Looking forward to more news about this game!

Here's hoping there'll be a physical instruction book, so I can go "if you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the inclosed instruction book!"

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Ooh, a little insight on some things about the game!

The hotel setting was chosen because it's an easy structure to work with, it seems. That makes sense. And haunted hotels have been done in stuff before, as I'd noted in the previous thread about Disney's Tower of Terror. I would've even called this game LM3: Tower of Terror myself as a reference since this game's hotel also looks like a tower. XD

Polterpup is my favorite ghost too! He's so cute! I watched the game's opening cutscene and he was all kinds of adorable with Luigi there too. I won't post it for anyone that doesn't want to see yet. I normally don't watch cutscenes before a game releases, but this time I just couldn't resist, mainly due to an actual release date still not being known.

Edited by Anacybele

You'd think Luigi would know better by now to get these mansions checked about first, since they always turn out to be haunted.  With the amount of coins he gets on his adventures, he can afford it.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

You'd think Luigi would know better by now to get these mansions checked about first, since they always turn out to be haunted.  With the amount of coins he gets on his adventures, he can afford it.

Well, in all fairness, that only could really apply to the first game and that's, well, Luigi's first experience with ghosts and a haunted building. The second game forced Luigi back into the ghost-hunting business when E. Gadd needed his help in Evershade Valley. He didn't really have a choice lol since E. Gadd literally pulled him through his TV screen via his Pixelator machine.

And now this game, the opening cutscene shows this hotel looking entirely harmless and fun. It was probably that way to start out with and then King Boo just came and intervened. Luigi couldn't have expected it or been prepared. 😛

Sorry for the double post, but I just found this interview that confirms a few new things!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-18-luigis-mansion-3-developers-talk-cut-ideas-labo-and-birdo

Collectable gems are indeed back like I suspected from the reveal trailer! Luigi can also buy the gold bones from the second game that help revive him when he gets beat as well as hints to find the aforementioned gems. There's implications that there's more Luigi can purchase too, perhaps upgrades for the Poltergust G-00? We did kinda have to do that in the second game as well.

• 4 weeks later...