breath of the wild sequel discussion/analysis/hopes/predictions thread

thecrimsonflash

since I didn't see a thread for this I'll start.

holy crap undead ganondorf. Also hoping for playable zelda, there may be a reason why her hair has been shortened here.

I was going to start this myself but I'm glad someone else did 🙂

So first, I am SO EXCITED! It looks like its using the same engine and models so it's likely that this game will be released far faster than other titles in the franchise which is a big plus for me because YES.

It looks like even if Zelda isn't playable that she'll at least be there with you through the game and helping out so that's wonderful and hey, if she's playable that's a huge dream of mine from Zelda accomplished!

Now! What on earth were they riding in the trailers? Those were obviously not horses. Malice is making a return I see, though that strange green energy was odd and looked an awful lot like necromancy which makes sense considering the MUMMY GANONDORF. There are people out there theorizing that Link might lose his arm in this game due to that scene in the trailer as well as some concept art from BotW where Link didn't have an arm. Also it looks to me like they might be under Hyrule castle or at least somewhere that's connected to it thanks to that last shot and it makes sense as Calamity Ganon rose from under the castle, but what got them to go down there in the first place? Are we going to be able to explore a restored or rebuilding Hyrule? So many questions and absolutely no answers! (Honestly so long as the story's good I'm a happy camper).

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Hyrule Castle rising from the earth...? Did Bowser build his castle directly under it and is carrying it into the sky? Link, you must save the Star Spirits!

Why haven't we gotten Paper Zelda yet? All the varied artstyles the franchise has gone through, but not paper.

And it's Star Sages silly!

I was like "holy crap WHAT" when I first saw this. Never expected a sequel, I expected the next Zelda to be a brand new game entirely and not related to BotW. But this is a very pleasant surprise!

There better be a good reason Zelda cut off all her beautiful hair, though. She looks horrible with short hair, just as most women do imo. She doesn't even look much like a princess anymore as she did previously. Princesses don't always have to look like princesses, but BotW Zelda did, even when she wore pants, and now she just doesn't.

Also, are we absolutely sure this villain is Ganondorf? I hope it isn't. I don't like him and he's dead and gone in BotW. Give us somebody new to fight like other sequels to Zelda games have. Also give us a new land to explore as those games did (MM had Termina, PH had a new section of sea and new islands, and LA had Koholint Island).

Edited by Anacybele

I was in a group call with some friends for watching the direct, when he mentioned one last announcement I just said "it's a new Zelda" and I was right...

I hope this patches up BotW's faults.  Better dungeon/puzzle design, inventory system fixes because as is it's kinda broken, etc.  BotW is a game of extremes where the stuff that's good is amazing and the stuff that's not so good are very consistently prevalent.

More runes would also be nice.

This is great to see! After the first one, I was pretty impressed.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I hope this patches up BotW's faults.  Better dungeon/puzzle design, inventory system fixes because as is it's kinda broken, etc.  BotW is a game of extremes where the stuff that's good is amazing and the stuff that's not so good are very consistently prevalent.

I agree with most of this. I'm not sure how they would address the puzzle issue to make it user-friendly as well. I mean, i'm honestly terrible at puzzles so i'm not sure a hardcore Zelda would be for me.

I really hope we end up with a playable Zelda this time around. There's some potential to work with. I believe she said her powers were gone again at the end of BOTW but she's still a big nerd. I could see her taking over the Sheikah slate or carry some other handy tech with her. 

24 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, are we absolutely sure this villain is Ganondorf? I hope it isn't. I don't like him and he's dead and gone in BotW. Give us somebody new to fight like other sequels to Zelda games have. Also give us a new land to explore as those games did (MM had Termina, PH had a new section of sea and new islands, and LA had Koholint Island).

Its about 90% certain its Ganondorf. Judging from the jewelry he's a Gerudo and he's got the red hairs we've already seen on Ganondorf before. 

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

Its about 90% certain its Ganondorf. Judging from the jewelry he's a Gerudo and he's got the red hairs we've already seen on Ganondorf before. 

If it is him, then laaaaame. 😕

• No stamina
  • No weapon durability
  • Better dungeons
  • Not having all the stuff being given to you at the beginning of the game
  • No garbage sidequests such as the nine hundred Korok seeds

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I really hope we end up with a playable Zelda this time around. There's some potential to work with. I believe she said her powers were gone again at the end of BOTW but she's still a big nerd. I could see her taking over the Sheikah slate or carry some other handy tech with her. 

if you want my opinion, I don't think playable zelda would need to bring anything new to the table gameplay wise, I mainly want it as an alt to link.

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There better be a good reason Zelda cut off all her beautiful hair, though. She looks horrible with short hair, just as most women do imo. She doesn't even look much like a princess anymore as she did previously. Princesses don't always have to look like princesses, but BotW Zelda did, even when she wore pants, and now she just doesn't.

I don't think she completely cut it off, it is braided in a few areas, but she did get it cut, personally my main problem with BoTW zelda is the lack of bangs, always bothered the crap out of me, it is even more apparent here.

my main fear at the moment is that there will not be any open air sections, I mean I doubt it will be the case, but that would be a real bummer if it was the case.

as for some possibilities, I remember co-op zelda being mentioned at some point post triforce heroes, that could certainly could justify playable zelda.

1000 yeses. Zelda rockin that short hair, really hope she's playable (dare I hope for two player? I dare). More Ganon is always good, I don't care what anyone else says

Has anyone reversed the music in the trailer? I'm gonna give that a shot and see if there's anything going on there

edit: the tune is just as unrecognizable in reverse, even though the instrumentation sounds more

Edited by Johann

I was in a call with some friends and I was like "SHUT THE FUCK UP" when the text revealed that a sequel was in development. 

I absolutely love short haired Zelda - it's refreshing new look for her, honestly and cutting your hair is symbolic in many cultures of leaving behind the past and starting anew. Since this is a direct sequel from the events of the first game, it could be Zelda's way of getting rid of her weaker self in order to welcome the growth of becoming stronger. 

Another thing that I was discussing with a friend is how I wonder how they'll change up the game that it will FEEL like a sequel because a bulk of the gameplay in Breath of the Wild had to do with exploration. The land of Hyrule would have to go through some sort of drastic change so if there is exploration involved, it should feel like you're going through a whole new adventure rather than it just feeling like you're just playing the first game all over again. 

1 minute ago, carefreejules said:

Another thing that I was discussing with a friend is how I wonder how they'll change up the game that it will FEEL like a sequel because a bulk of the gameplay in Breath of the Wild had to do with exploration. The land of Hyrule would have to go through some sort of drastic change so if there is exploration involved, it should feel like you're going through a whole new adventure rather than it just feeling like you're just playing the first game all over again. 

I wonder if the magical caves are gonna be the centerpoint of the exploration, BotW honestly didn't have much in the way of caves actually.  

Like, there can be magical ice caves, and lava caves, and ruins caves, etc.  

52 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It's definitely him, has the same Gerudo symbol cape as OoT, the forehead jewel in particular stands out, and it's even playing a few bars of his theme as he's waking up

6 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

I could see them also doing a little bit of Dark World-type stuff in there, if only in theme rather than a mirror copy of the BotW world. But yeah tunnels and caverns were few and far between last time, imagine if they had a giant interconnected cavern going underneath the entire game

1 minute ago, Johann said:

I could see them also doing a little bit of Dark World-type stuff in there, if only in theme rather than a mirror copy of the BotW world. But yeah tunnels and caverns were few and far between last time, imagine if they had a giant interconnected cavern going underneath the entire game

Oohhh that would be kind of creepy and cool! Perfect for a Halloween release because of the darker turn that this game seems to be going in. I just hope that it won't be too much cave exploration because that would wear me down really quickly akldhaksdja

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Playable Zelda pls

I want this, and I hope this will be a darker, more bizarre version of the BotW world. A Majora's Mask to BotW's OoT.

2 minutes ago, carefreejules said:

Oohhh that would be kind of creepy and cool! Perfect for a Halloween release because of the darker turn that this game seems to be going in. I just hope that it won't be too much cave exploration because that would wear me down really quickly akldhaksdja

In my head, I'm picturing an experience where you're like "guess I'll check out this cave here" and then after going to the other side of it, you pop out in some completely different place in the overworld. I suppose it's not as big of a deal when you can just climb/sail/fly around nearly everything anyway, though thinking back to Zora's Domain being in perpetual rain making alternate entry points very difficult, most players would probably experience it like that. Alternatively, more vertical caves that make you wonder "how deep is this?"

This was my favourite thing revealed at E3. Seeing Mummy Ganondorf being used to make Malice was so cool, creepy and intriguing. 

My hopes for what'll be in this game:

• Zelda is a companion in this game; hopefully even playable at certain points like in Spirit Tracks. I can think of a few things Zelda could potentially do to assist the hero in interesting ways: using her magic to clear away Malice, climbing on Link's shoulders to reach objects high up on unclimbable walls, identifying objects and enemies (since she is a bookworm after all), etc. Phantom Zelda in Spirit Tracks was fantastic; I hope BOTW-2 doesn't miss out on the opportunity for another great Link and Zelda dynamic.
  • More limits on climbing and gliding as well as other means to ensure players have to be creative with how they get from point a to point b. 
  • No more weapon durability: how about a forge mechanic instead where you get materials and make weapons?
  • An expansion of the Tarrey Town sidequest: Link and Zelda can help rebuild different parts of Hyrule piece-by-piece by speaking with NPCs and completing sidequests. This hopefully would include rebuilding Castle Town and Lon Lon Ranch. 
  • Link remembers that he's left-handed. 
  • Dungeons. Now that the Divine Beasts are benign, hopefully we'll be able to return to temples and other dungeons. 
  • Mummy Ganondorf is one of the two rival main villains; the other main villain being the being responsible for the green energy and the magic hand holding Ganondorf's body. I hope there's a big mystery about who or what is responsible for using Ganondorf's body to make Malice. 
  • Armoured Enemies: Darknuts, Iron Knuckles, maybe even monster soldiers (like the kind in A Link Between Worlds). Armour added an interesting layer of challenge and variety to earlier 3D Zelda games, so I hope they return. It would be really cool to fight a Ball-&-Chain Soldier in a 3D Zelda game. 
  • No Wallmasters or Floormasters. I can see the potential for hand enemies with a gimmick, but these guys are just creepy and annoying, which is a shame, as I'm currently at the Forest Temple on my current Ocarina of Time playthrough. 
  • Some new gimmick that is thoroughly explored. I'm not sure what in particular, but as long as there's something to set it apart; Majora's Mask had the masks and 3-Day Cycle to differentiate it from Ocarina of Time, and Spirit Tracks had Phantom Zelda to distinguish it from Phantom Hourglass. 
  • A magic musical instrument.
Edited by vanguard333

This had me so MOIST. 

I never really played LoZ games growing up, all I know I played and completed were Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

Breath of the Wild was absolutely AMAZING! I loved every minute of it. I did more exploring than the main quest for the longest... and I KNOW BoTW is unlike older LoZ games. In fact my friend got BoTW and she doesn't really like it at all (she is a huge LoZ fan, mainly Link). I'm so hype about this! <3

I hope for more mounts you can keep! 

Edited by Bloom

26 minutes ago, Bloom said:

I hope for more mounts you can keep! 

That would be good, and it would go along nicely with my idea of rebuilding Lon Lon Ranch. One thing that would be really cool would be if the stables allowed for more than just horses. It was a little sad that Link could mount all kinds of creatures (the only thing he can't mount is Mipha), but he couldn't actually keep them. I'm not saying Link should be able to keep a bear in a stable, but a stag wouldn't be a bad idea.

The big fear is that those cutscenes were flashbacks. That said, i am hyped. Though Breath of the Wild isn't my favorite, i'd still very much play a sequel and this sequel is giving off Majora's Mask vibes, which is a very good thing. Short haired Zelda is also a blessing and i believe this is the first short haired Zelda we've gotten since the original. Hoping she's playable. 

I'm very curious to see how the world will be like. I doubt they'll make us re-explore the same Hyrule but with a few new areas. Monolith Soft is helping out again so hopefully that sweet Xenoblade world design philosophy pours over here.