USGamer Three Houses Preview

Link here.

USGamer just posted an article about their hands-on experience with a demo of the game, confirms that the weapon triangle is gone, and there's some sort of Amiibo functionality. Also, there's apparently a global player percentage where you can see what other players have chosen to do with their time. It also talks about battling one of those monsters that we've seen before.

(Also says that there's a customizable avatar, but take that with a grain of salt).

EDIT: Other sites have confirmed that the avatar isn't customizable.

Edited by Calico

I'm guessing the customization is only the name, strengths and weaknesses, and maybe asset and flaw. I think lances being effective against cavalry is interesting though. I guess it explains why they have so few uses. Also, those Demon Beasts sound very cool. I've enjoyed the few actual boss-like enemies in the series, so if they're more common here I'll be happy.

19 minutes ago, Calico said:

Link here.

USGamer just posted an article about their hands-on experience with a demo of the game, confirms that the weapon triangle is gone, and there's some sort of Amiibo functionality. Also, there's apparently a global player percentage where you can see what other players have chosen to do with their time. It also talks about battling one of those monsters that we've seen before.

(Also says that there's a customizable avatar, but take that with a grain of salt).

Very Persona 5 here.

• Says "customizable avatar"... hmm, that's not something I can just ignore, but I also wonder what the editor's idea of "customizable" entails, because technically an avatar can be such if you can just change their name.  Mark the tactician can be considered a "customizable avatar" in the loosest of terms.
  • "It sounds similar to Fire Emblem Fates, but rather than different versions of a story, Three Houses is one path with three different branches."  What are the different connotations of these two words, "paths" and "branches"?  I understand we aren't getting three games, but... I dunno, I just don't think I really understand what people mean when they say it's "similar, but different" apart from it obviously not being split into three separate purchases.
  • Weapon triangle being gone... I think it was about time they tried to change the weapon triangle, to be totally honest.  It hardly meant anything for most of the games.  I mean, at first I clung to it as if it was a matter of life or death, but as I got more experience with the series, I started to regularly pit lance dudes against axe bois, and sword slashers against lancers.  Axes against swords, though, has almost always meant death, but that's more a testament to how much axes have sucked throughout the series.  Or maybe it's axe-users that suck?
  • Combat arts affect weapon durability.  I'll admit, I've never been particularly keen on weapon durability, but this is an interesting way of balancing combat arts without actually hurting the units themselves (as was the case in Echoes).
  • I can't wait to bring my single amiibo to the Amiibo Gazebo.  At least it's a FE amiibo, though, so I'm sure I'll get a substantial reward.  I plan to get some other amiibos at some point.
  • "There's even an option to skip all the instructing and school-life stuff, if you're so inclined."  I'm sorry, wat?  inb4 literally everyone complaining about the school setting skip everything.
  • "My personal favorite was a batch of gauntlet-wiedling hype men, whose Gambit—a special ability unique to each character's battalion—was to cheer on our forces, giving them further range to move."  How to tell if the article writer is a true FE fan: their favorite ability in a FE game involves increasing the MOV stat.
  • "He was huge, taking up four squares of the grid, and he had multiple lifebars, denoted by red crystals next to his regular life."  Not news that we got monsters that take up 2x2 spaces, but I don't believe we were aware of them having multiple lifebars.
  • "Even if some old fans don't like some of the directions it's taking," LMFAOOOO yet another way you can tell if someone's a true FE fan: they talk shit about other FE fans.

5 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:
  • "It sounds similar to Fire Emblem Fates, but rather than different versions of a story, Three Houses is one path with three different branches."  What are the different connotations of these two words, "paths" and "branches"?  I understand we aren't getting three games, but... I dunno, I just don't think I really understand what people mean when they say it's "similar, but different" apart from it obviously not being split into three separate purchases.

I think the intended meaning of that phrase was that unlike Fates (which is basically 3 completely different stories), Three Houses is one story with varying perspectives.

So, closer to Blazing Blade or Sacred Stones than Fates.

36 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

"It sounds similar to Fire Emblem Fates, but rather than different versions of a story, Three Houses is one path with three different branches."  What are the different connotations of these two words, "paths" and "branches"?  I understand we aren't getting three games, but... I dunno, I just don't think I really understand what people mean when they say it's "similar, but different" apart from it obviously not being split into three separate purchases.

I think this means that instead of having 3 separate stories like Fates, it’s the same story but you experience it through a different point a view depending on what house you pick.

Which I would be ecstatic about since that’s exactly what I said I was hoping for on a previous topic here about how the differing routes should be handled.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

26 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:
  • "There's even an option to skip all the instructing and school-life stuff, if you're so inclined."  I'm sorry, wat?  inb4 literally everyone complaining about the school setting skip everything.

Maybe this is just a reference to the Auto-Tutor option, which we've seen before? I mean, what manner of madman would skip out on the fishing?!?!

5 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Maybe this is just a reference to the Auto-Tutor option, which we've seen before? I mean, what manner of madman would skip out on the fishing?!?!

No, we've already known from Famitsu that we could skip ahead on the calendar, essentially allowing for the traditional Fire Emblem mission-to-mission structure.

Oh yeah, the author of the article also answered a question about the game on twitter. It was about  the size of the maps (apparently they feel pretty big for an average fe map, but it felt like he spent more time positioning his units than moving them into the next batch of enemies).

If someone with a twitter wants to politely ask him about the customizable avatar line, he might answer. 

Oh, so the breakers are combat arts. That's interesting, though also pretty weird. I get the feeling my theory about what skills one gets from professor levels is coming together as a result, but it's too early to tell.

Well okay then.

"There's even an option to skip all the instructing and school-life stuff, if you're so inclined." But... I thought the school life was part of the fun ? Maybe it's something similar to Shadow Dragon and New Mystery: It's a prologue and you skip it... but like I said, it's half the fun to customize your units.

"Combat arts affect weapon durability." GOOD. On paper I mean.

No weapon triangle, why the hell not ? We'll see. Althought it seems like a waste after seeing all the weapons type that the game have.

He doesn't seem very good at giving the messages. Or it's on purpose, which I'm fine with. But I'm a bit cross seeing it.
Plus, he talk as if Fates was good. 😛

28 minutes ago, DuckPhoenix said:

Someone on twitter asked him.

I hope the treehouse show today will give us some more information. 

... How the bloody heck is that customizable if you can only choose the gender and the name ?
What is this, Peter Molineux ? 😛

2 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Well okay then.

"There's even an option to skip all the instructing and school-life stuff, if you're so inclined." But... I thought the school life was part of the fun ? Maybe it's something similar to Shadow Dragon and New Mystery: It's a prologue and you skip it... but like I said, it's half the fun to customize your units.

"Combat arts affect weapon durability." GOOD. On paper I mean.

No weapon triangle, why the hell not ? We'll see. Althought it seems like a waste after seeing all the weapons type that the game have.

He doesn't seem very good at giving the messages. Or it's on purpose, which I'm fine with. But I'm a bit cross seeing it.
Plus, he talk as if Fates was good. 😛

... How the bloody heck is that customizable if you can only choose the gender and the name ?

Honestly, it's nice they at least included an option to auto-tutor the students if the player wants. Not everyone is down with micromanaging everything so options are nice to have.

2 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Honestly, it's nice they at least included an option to auto-tutor the students if the player wants. Not everyone is down with micromanaging everything so options are nice to have.

Oh good point, I actualy haven't seen it that way. My bad. 😕

1 hour ago, B.Leu said:

no, no, no, it's actually incredibly deep customization, because they stripped all physical custom options byleth can now be literally whatever you want, do you want him to be a convicted child diddling politician trying to integrate back into normal society? boom, wish granted. do you want him to be a down on his luck tax attorney trying to get his kids back after losing literally everything in the divorce? I don't see why not. do you want him to be a traveling bard who sings only k-pop translated into german? that's the most normal thing I've heard all day. still can't be a healer though, no one wants to be the healer. do you want to be an argonian skooma addict who got caught into an imperial ambush on his way to skyrim for his next fix? this isn't the best game for that, but, yes you can!!!!!

Oh, wait, crap I actually need to contribute, I find it weird that this is the only site that seems to have anything like this.

So the weapon triangle doesn't exist, but breaker skills do, but they're combat arts. If they're arts then you can only use them on your turn.

14 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

no, no, no, it's actually incredibly deep customization, because they stripped all physical custom options byleth can now be literally whatever you want, do you want him to be a convicted child diddling politician trying to integrate back into normal society? boom, wish granted. do you want him to be a down on his luck tax attorney trying to get his kids back after losing literally everything in the divorce? I don't see why not. do you want him to be a traveling bard who sings only k-pop translated into german? that's the most normal thing I've heard all day. still can't be a healer though, no one wants to be the healer. do you want to be an argonian skooma addict who got caught into an imperial ambush on his way to skyrim for his next fix? this isn't the best game for that, but, yes you can!!!!!

Oh, wait, crap I actually need to contribute, I find it weird that this is the only site that seems to have anything like this.

So, if he's a shitty character, and I want him to be good, he can be that ? 😛

No but seriously, the guy seems to talk about technically that only Peter and his fans could do, how changing gender and name can be called legit customization ? Especially after Fates and Awakening, which are actually piss poor.

I know I make a big deal out of it, because It"s funny, because well,  this kind of Peter-shenenigans triggers me a tad to be honest. 😕

16 minutes ago, redlight said:

So the weapon triangle doesn't exist, but breaker skills do, but they're combat arts. If they're arts then you can only use them on your turn.

Well, Echoes did came up with passive combat arts that you have to activate in your turn, which is pretty interesting imo.

I think there was one that gave you Res.

1 minute ago, B.Leu said:

So, if he's a shitty character, and I want him to be good, he can be that ? 😛

No but seriously, the guy seems to talk about technically that only Peter and his fans could do, how changing gender and name can be called legit customization ? Especially after Fates and Awakening, which are actually piss poor.

I know I make a big deal out of it, because It"s funny, because well,  this kind of Peter-shenenigans triggers me a tad to be honest. 😕

I admit, it is funny how every game that included an avatar (not counting mark) has been getting progressively worse customization, new mystery had a ton of options, but there were no 3d models to deal with so I can give awakening the benefit of the doubt on that one, fates did not allow for shouta corrin or older step sister corrin which I thought hurt options, not to mention that corrin looks really bad at base, robin gets away with a lot more just by having a fairly neutral outfit (neutral meaning it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect anyone would be ok wearing it).

8 hours ago, B.Leu said:

I can't wait for Three Houses to give me an overtly black and white moral choice at the end and let me romance girls by making stupid gestures and throwing presents at them.  Or for the game to throw in an obligatory prison sequence that'll last, like, 10 years in-game so that it feels like I abandoned whatever family I had.

Maybe Byleth going blonde is an example of the high level of "customization" you can expect.  Just like Fable 2 with the dyeing system :P:

15 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I think the intended meaning of that phrase was that unlike Fates (which is basically 3 completely different stories), Three Houses is one story with varying perspectives.

So, closer to Blazing Blade or Sacred Stones than Fates.

A better comparison would be Tactics Ogre. It was one story with three branches (chaos / law / neutral routes).