You can only transfer Pokemon to Sword and Shield if they exist in the Galar Dex.

Armagon

Watch from the timestamp to 28:02. 

Basically, we finally got to the point where there were too many Pokemon. And because of it, Game Freak put on a completed Infinity Gauntlet and Snapped away a bunch of Pokemon. So if your favorite Pokemon that you've been raising for more than a decade isn't in the Galar Dex, too bad. You can't transfer it. 

You know what else was Snapped away? My interest in this game. The Direct last week won me the fuck over but now i don't even care anymore. I'm done with mainline, give me another Mystery Dungeon.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After learning of the Legendary Pokémon's designs, I wanted no more to do with Sword and Shield until release but this information is just too significant to pass up.

#BringBackNationalDex is actually trending on Twitter and I even had a (relatively lengthy) piece to say about it.

Parts of it may seem a bit rambly but I'm just really passionate about the National Pokédex being an option to complete in the games.

Well, this was bound to happen eventually, I do think that odds are that they need to make all assets from scratch and over 700 sets of unique models and animations with only 3ds models to work with would be difficult to do while having the game come out in the switch's life cycle (not to mention the costs, I could easily see one mon costing around $10,000 when you combine modeling, texturing, particle effects, and animating, 3ds could get away with the sheer numbers because they were not working with high res assets, lower poly was necessary due to hardware), I agree that it is an unfortunate loss, but such is unsurprising I think. I expect them to have more in the next generation however, this could be the best way to get this done without bankrupting whoever is financing this or even worse, hitting that dreaded point where profitability is actually impossible, like selling 4 million copies is still a loss.

chill out

from their perspective, it makes complete sense and was something they were going to have to do eventually because they backed themselves into a corner by making so many pokemon. yes the timing is very odd given they just recently brought up pokemon home, which is supposed to hold everything you ever had, but the new game won't actually transfer everything. yes it's weird because their literal slogan has gone from "gotta catch 'em all!" to "gotta catch 'em all*"

however, most likely the majority of cut members will be legendaries and (possibly) starters to give the new pokemon the spotlight.

idk personally i have little issue with this, it's very difficult to find reasons to use specific pokemon when they've been powercrept, so if this is going to somewhat relieve that i'm happy.

however, idgaf about noctowl why is that staying lol

edit ^ yeah they have the right idea

Edited by Chocolate Kitty

I can see why they wanted to try it out, the Pokemon series has a huge issue of content pile up. The Switch was a poor decision though, since its easily the most powerful console for Pokemon yet and can easily fit 800+ mons. Not to mention that Let's Go already had the backlash for limiting Pokemon. I don't really mind it though.

I'm still getting Shield though. The wild areas look so cool, and for the first time we get an open world Pokemon adventure! Wohhoo!

46 minutes ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

however, most likely the majority of cut members will be legendaries and (possibly) starters to give the new pokemon the spotlight.

This tweet basically sums up why this is a bad thing

I know why they're doing it, i just think it's bullshit.

Has Game freak forgotten the word "Update?" Because their solution to the problem makes logical sense, but I fail to see why these pokemon can't be updated into the game months later. Is that not what happened with Sun and Moon? It took over two months in that case, and likely longer for this game.

Part of me wants to believe this information was presented incorrectly. That he simply mispoke and forgot to say "at launch" as he warned Pokemon Bank users. And it really doesn't matter how many or which pokemon specifically get the cut, because any amount is too high if this is truly permanent. Waiting a few months is fine, but waiting for Pokemon Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield, or for Pokemon Let's Go Togepi, or for Gen 4 remakes to get the rest is waiting for too long.

Okay, on the one hand I can get the pragmatic argument.

On the other hand, I think this was a mistake. Something like this cannot be used for the mainline games and have it stick. At that point you're burning out loads of people who've been interested for years. This just feels wrong to me. I could live with a spin-off having less. But this is a mainline Pokemon game and for them to make this move just feels wrong.

Wake me up if they say anything else, honestly the 3DS games kind of left me disappointed as a whole if you think about it and this kind of thing feels like the last straw of goodwill burnt.

Don’t worry. I’m sure that all 151 Kanto Pokemon will still be included 🙃

Ugh... this coupled with them scrapping mega evolutions and z moves in favor for the half baked idea that is dynamax has completely ruined all my hype for the game.

I hope this gets some serious backlash and Gamefreak rethinks their idea of not allowing every Pokémon to be transferable.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

5 hours ago, redlight said:

I guess this explains Let's Go's lack of Pokémon.

Pokémon at this point is running on nostalgia fuel

Honestly.

I garuantee every Kanto Pokemon will be avaliable and then it's a coin flip for other Gens.

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Ugh... this coupled with them scrapping mega evolutions and z moves in favor for the half baked idea that is dynamax has completely ruined all my hype for the game.

I didn't watch the whole gameplay, did they confirm this?

My hype for SnS has honestly been pretty low and this latest news kinda killed any interest I had in the game. I thought the reason they had spent ao much time doing high poly 3d models for the 3DS games was to future proof the series. But now, we have Masuda stating that from SnS forward, national dex is a thing of the past and you'll only have access to a certain region's pokemon. I guess it's going to be "gotta catch some of 'em" from now on. 

This debacle on top of me really not liking Dynamaxing and the focus it seemingly has in-game and I don't even know if I'll pick this game up when it releases. From all the gimmicks they introduced to "spice up" the gameplay since gen 6, mega evolution I really liked. Z moves were pretty boring, but I at least like it better than "we'll make your pokemon ridiculously huge for 3 turns" that we're getting here.

Honestly it pissed me off at first, but the more I think on it the more it makes sense. Pokemon keeps adding content and it is important to know that why Pokemon is huge, Game Freak is actually a rather small company with not many people. Just recently they actually started hiring more people, likely for Sword/Shield.

It’s not possible to put more content without crunching, which is well...obviously bad.

26 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s not possible to put more content without crunching, which is well...obviously bad.

An alternative is not releasing a mainline pokemon game every single year. But I assume half-baked products make more profit than quality products released at a slower rate.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I garuantee every Kanto Pokemon will be avaliable and then it's a coin flip for other Gens.

makes sense, since they're already built for the previous game. It would be wasteful to exclude them. 

I'm sorely disappointed if this truly is the case. I mean...if it's simply an "at launch" sort of thing, sure. But otherwise, it just feels...wrong. It's certainly dampened my desire for the game.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

An alternative is not releasing a mainline pokemon game every single year. But I assume half-baked products make more profit than quality products released at a slower rate.

Thing is they already didn’t release a mainline Pokemon game in 2018 and they likely have a contract. 

2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Thing is they already didn’t release a mainline Pokemon game in 2018 and they likely have a contract. 

I think Let's Go actually counts as a mainline title, in spite of the changes. I personally consider it more of a spinoff.

Edited by Dai

59 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

According to the Pokemon Company, Let's Go is a mainline title. And I agree. These are their remakes moving forward.

Yeah I feel the same way. When I saw the trailer and saw how exploring the wild area looked I was really interested despite being really bummed out on Pokemon because of X/Y and USUM.

Now that I've heard about the Dex change? Yeah, forget it. They should've just delayed the game. FE and AC got delayed and yes, I know that those games aren't anywhere as big as Pokémon but if they really cared they could've released the game a few months later. Those few months aren't going to change the fact that Shield/Sword will easily sell millions like every Pokémon game before it.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I didn't watch the whole gameplay, did they confirm this?

They actually said that before they announced the whole you can only transfer certain Pokémon bs.

I don’t know if it’s like straight up confirmation but they mentioned at 16:52 that dynamax was a replacement for mega evolutions and z moves. So sounds to me if like they’re just doing away with that.

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Honestly it pissed me off at first, but the more I think on it the more it makes sense. Pokemon keeps adding content and it is important to know that why Pokemon is huge, Game Freak is actually a rather small company with not many people. Just recently they actually started hiring more people, likely for Sword/Shield.

That would be a valid excuse if they were actually making new models and animation for each pokemon but they’ve been reusing the same crap since X and Y. I mean, they made those models to be future proof and avoid predicaments like this in the first place. It’s just plain lazy that they’re not including all pokemon.

Also GF is far from a poor indie company. If they need more hands then they could simply higher more of them. Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise of all time after all.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

They actually said that before they announced the whole you can only transfer certain Pokémon bs.

I don’t know if it’s like straight up confirmation but they mentioned at 16:52 that dynamax was a replacement for mega evolutions and z moves. So sounds to me if like they’re just doing away with that.

That's upsetting. Z-Moves where whatever but Mega Evolution was the coolest shit and Dynamaxing doesn't even compare.

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Also GF is far from a poor indie company. If they need more hands then they could simply higher more of them. Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise of all time after all.

Do you know how companies even work? 

It's a myth that if the problem is "it's a lot of work that has to be done fast" you can just "add more people", because people need to be trained, you create more overhead in communicating, everything has to work together cohesively, etc.

There's diminishing returns for every person added and again the more people you hire the more overhead it creates. You need to spend more and more time communicating, making sure everyone understands, all stuff is cohesive and so on.

Edited by Water Mage

I think this was a dumb move. Yes, it's difficult to create models and animations and all for 800+ Pokemon. But that's why updates are a thing. Even if upon release not every Pokemon is available, you can add them later in updates. They could've at least told us this would happen. I still hope it does. Because as said before, every Pokemon is someone's favorite.

I will be sad if I cannot bring, say Buneary and Lopunny into my game. I love them. Or any extra shinies I got in Pokemon GO.

My thoughts on this whole debacle sums up to this: whatever. I mean, sure it might be a bummer that the whole cast can’t come back, but this doesn’t bother me personally. I’ve never really been a collector anyways and I think trimming the fat on the increasingly bloated pool of Pokémon might be for the better. In the past we had a bunch of lazy copy-pasting of the Pokédex until Gen 7 where they finally did unique entries for everyone involved and expanded the lore on them which was a huge big. It had the most personality I’ve seen for a long time. It came at the cost of a National Pokédex, but imo I didn’t care about that at all either.

A lot people actually overlook a part of the statement Musuda said, where he says the philosophy in GF is changing. “Gotta catch em all” is kinda a dated phrase at this point. It worked in the earlier games (1-3 if say) because of the cap being relatively low at the time and all you needed was a friend with the opposite version of yours to finish it up... as well as some luck with getting involved in event mons but that’s besides the point. We’re now not too far off to getting near 1,000 Pokémon, and unless you’ve been stockpiling every Pokémon up to that point (which in that good for you I guess) then it’s just going to be obscenely tedious. Coupled with the fact that Pokémon as a whole is geared towards a younger crowd, and it come clear that it’s just increasingly infeasible to expect people to “catch them all” when there’s regional starters, legendaries, and mythicals to account for as well as plenty of junkmons that people aren’t prompted to catch in the first place (I’m looking at you, Dunsparce/Sigilyph/Barbaracle/etc). 

Most importantly, we don’t even know for sure just how many Pokémon are excluded. Best case scenario it’s just the legendaries/mythics with some excluded starters and several junkmons few will miss. Worst case... maybe 100-200 will be excluded? Plus, what’s with all the “hurr durr Kanto will be getting all the attention” complaining? Don’t get me wrong, I hate Gen 1 pandering as much as the next guy and actually dislike Gen 1as a whole, but from what I’ve seen all the gens get some love and there’s no one-sided implications outside of Leon inexplicably owning a Charizard somehow... but w/e. Look at Serebii’s count of all the Pokémon so far and you’d be surprised how must representation there is overall.

I get the frustration, to an extent. I hate it when things I like get excluded. Wolf was missing in Smash 4 which was a big bummer. My boi Bowser Jr. got snubbed in several Mario Karts. I wait to wait almost a year and a half to have my waifu favorite female FE character Sumia get added into Heroes (and yet another year for my best daughter Cynthia to join the family). But like... can everyone chill out? The game isn’t even out yet. Give the poor thing a chance before waving it off. 

TL;DR I think the fuss people are making about this is rather overblown and people should just hang tight before making judgement on a game that’s not even out yet.

23 minutes ago, Silverly said:

Most importantly, we don’t even know for sure just how many Pokémon are excluded. Best case scenario it’s just the legendaries/mythics with some excluded starters and several junkmons few will miss. Worst case... maybe 100-200 will be excluded?

Sun and Moon at launch excluded 501 pokemon and most of the mega evolutions. If there is a worst case scenario it's at least that amount. And the largest regional dex in pokemon history is X and Y's ~450. So I'd consider that the best case scenario since nothing has been higher before or since. Assuming Sword and shield has 100 new pokemon, that brings us just past 900 total. A best case scenario regional dex would still mean only 50/50 attendance of the total pokemon roster. They COULD give us more than that, but no examples in past games support the idea we ought to expect more.