You can only transfer Pokemon to Sword and Shield if they exist in the Galar Dex.

Armagon

I will be salty if the wimpod line isn't in sword and shield, it took me like an hour to catch one of those in a beast ball.

though if you ask me, I am more annoyed at the fact that there is no mega evolution, I really think they were really onto something there, then they found a new gimmick with z moves and now enlarged pokemon, megas I think really helped some fine new relevance alongside just being cool.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

They're boycotting all because of ONE change though, and a change that doesn't affect gameplay or plot. It only affects an optional thing. Completing a Pokedex, National or not, was always optional.

If there were more questionable changes/decisions, then I'd say they have every right to choose not to get the game.

It might just be one change but it’s a huge change at that. Also it really isn’t just that one change. There is also the exclusion of megas and z-moves and while the latter wasn’t all that popular, megas where something that a lot of people liked and improved lots of pokemon that had been made pretty irrelevant such as Kangashkan or Bannete.

Not to mention that one of their excuses was that their working on “expressive and detailed models” on all pokemon but they are still reusing the same ugly ass models and animations they’ve been using since forever now with no real improvements.

Also, Dynamaxing is such a disappointing mechanic and replacement for what’s been lost.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They're boycotting all because of ONE change though, and a change that doesn't affect gameplay or plot. It only affects an optional thing. Completing a Pokedex, National or not, was always optional.

But here's the thing: Most people really care about all the Pokemon they've been raising for the past decade. Many wanted to see them on the latest game, on a console. Even Japanese players were pretty upset. Yeah, it's one change but it's a very significant one. 

I'm choosing not to buy SnS because of this but this is also the third time the series has disappointed me. USUM didn't need to exist, Let's GO was a waste of resources and now SnS, which actually won me the fuck over last week, is doing this. I have like 9 boxes of Pokemon i've collected over the years and now my options are to keep them in previous Gen game on a handheld i'm not digging out of the closet any time soon (not a knock against the 3DS btw, it's just Switch has taken over) or to transfer them to Pokemon Prison.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They're boycotting all because of ONE change though

A big ass change though.

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

a change that doesn't affect gameplay

To you

To alot of people the collecting and completing thing is part of the gameplay as well

18 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

It might just be one change but it’s a huge change at that. Also it really isn’t just that one change. There is also the exclusion of megas and z-moves and while the latter wasn’t all that popular, megas where something that a lot of people liked and improved lots of pokemon that had been made pretty irrelevant such as Kangashkan or Bannete.

Not to mention that one of their excuses was that their working on “expressive and detailed models” on all pokemon but they are still reusing the same ugly ass models and animations they’ve been using since forever now with no real improvements.

Also, Dynamaxing is such a disappointing mechanic and replacement for what’s been lost.

Where did anyone say Mega evolution and Z-moves are being excluded? I haven't heard this at all.

How is it a huge change? It's just taking out a National Pokedex mode. Something optional and on the side, like I said. It isn't a minor change, no, but it isn't big either. Certainly not big enough to warrant boycotting the game and series.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But here's the thing: Most people really care about all the Pokemon they've been raising for the past decade. Many wanted to see them on the latest game, on a console. Even Japanese players were pretty upset. Yeah, it's one change but it's a very significant one. 

Hey, I care too. I'm disappointed the National Dex is gone. But I'm not throwing a tantrum and boycotting the series because of one little change. I'm not being immature.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

A big ass change though.

It's not. A big. Change. Why do people keep saying it is?

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

To you

To alot of people the collecting and completing thing is part of the gameplay as well

Uh, no, it doesn't affect gameplay. This is a fact, not an opinion. It doesn't affect a player's ability to complete all gyms and the league or anything of the sort.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Where did anyone say Mega evolution and Z-moves are being excluded?

one little change

Again, to you it's a little change, to others it's a big damn one.

Uh, no, it doesn't affect gameplay. This is a fact, not an opinion. It doesn't affect a player's ability to complete all gyms and the league or anything of the sort.

Battles aren't the only thing that are considered Gameplay.

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Okay, this is pretty disappointing too. A few of my favorite Pokemon got Mega forms (such as Lopunny and Aggron) and I thought Z moves were cool as well. I really question why GameFreak made any of these decisions...

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Battles aren't the only thing that are considered Gameplay.

Actually, seeing as how pokemon have unique stat distribution, move pools, and typings, I would say that even battles are definitely being affected by the removal of pokemon.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

How is it a huge change? It's just taking out a National Pokedex mode.

It's not really the National Dex itself. SM got rid of it first. The difference is that SnS just straight up won't have certain Pokemon coded into the game. They literally won't exist in the game's code. That's what people are upset about. 

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But I'm not throwing a tantrum and boycotting the series because of one little change. I'm not being immature.

Most of the complaints are perfectly valid. It's fine if you don't care about transferring your previous Gen Pokemon but the people who do care have every right to be upset. And again, Pokemon Home is a paid service. Nobody wants to pay to not transfer their Pokemon.

I'm not boycotting the series, i'm just not gonna buy mainline anymore. I'm still waiting for a new Mystery Dungeon.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, no, it doesn't affect gameplay.

Literally the slogan of the series is "gotta catch em all" but go off i guess. Sure, not everyone does that but that's still a central theme of the game.

Just now, NegativeExponents- said:

Actually, seeing as how pokemon have unique stat distribution, move pools, and typings, I would say that even battles are definitely being affected by the removal of pokemon.

Also the fact that some Pokemon can only get moves through breeding.

.....I just realized, in the 1% chance that Ditto doesn't get in the game, Pokemon breeding is just fucked.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's not really the National Dex itself. SM got rid of it first. The difference is that SnS just straight up won't have certain Pokemon coded into the game. They literally won't exist in the game's code. That's what people are upset about. 

Yeah, and I can understand being upset about it. I am too. But there's a difference between just being upset and deciding to throw a hissy fit about it by boycotting and starting petitions and junk.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Most of the complaints are perfectly valid. It's fine if you don't care about transferring your previous Gen Pokemon but the people who do care have every right to be upset. And again, Pokemon Home is a paid service. Nobody wants to pay to not transfer their Pokemon.

I'm not boycotting the series, i'm just not gonna buy mainline anymore. I'm still waiting for a new Mystery Dungeon.

The complaint is valid. I'm saying boycotting the series is not.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Literally the slogan of the series is "gotta catch em all" but go off i guess. Sure, not everyone does that but that's still a central theme of the game.

The slogan is one of the reasons I don't think the decision to not include all Pokemon makes sense, sure. But this change still doesn't affect completing the main story.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm saying boycotting the series is not.

Boycotting is the only way to show companies like GF that they fucked up. Just giving them money won't make them change anything since they see they can treat consumers like pieces of shit and still get money anyway.

GF isn't as responsive to fan feedback as Nintendo (who lately has been doing that. Last Example: Mario Maker 2 playing with friends), so you gotta vote with your wallet

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Boycotting is the only way to show companies like GF that they fucked up. Just giving them money won't make them change anything since they see they can treat consumers like pieces of shit and still get money anyway.

GF isn't a responsive to fan feedback as Nintendo (who lately has been doing that. Last Example: Mario Maker 2 playing with friends)

The worst part is is that SnS will still sell like a billion copies anyway.  So people aren't really boycotting the game so much as deciding it's not worth their money.

Quick addendum to one of my previous posts: People deciding the game is no longer worth their time/money because of this change are free to not buy the game. But the word "boycott" just bugs me in the sense that some people who really want to play this game are choosing not to buy it (or waiting for a used copy to become available from Gamestop or something). And that hurts them more than it could ever hurt Game Freak. I hope nobody feels pressured into such decisions, pokemon is full of young, impressionable fans. And I don't want boycotts or calls for delay to drown the very serious and rational discussions we have over the possibility of updating the game post launch, because the decision on whether or not to do that hasn't been made yet. I feel like if I were calling on them to update a game I was interested in, but still support the idea of sabotaging the game's sales, that is very mixed messaging. I want games to be as good as they can be. The state of their sales is of no interest to me, as a consumer.

Gotta catch em all may be an antiquated phrase for 21st century standards, but I have to say the joy of collecting pokemon was strongest for me in recent years when playing Pokemon Let's Go. You just rack up the pokedex entries so quickly and precisely instead of grinding out random encounters in a single area. I ended the game with over 100/150 caught where as a very slow playthrough on the original Red/Blue might have ended with something like 54. 

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Gotta catch em all may be an antiquated phrase for 21st century standards

According to Bulbapedia...

230px-Ruby_Beta_EN_boxart.jpg230px-Sapphire_Beta_EN_boxart.jpg

Notice the RP? This is pre-release.

250px-Ruby_EN_boxart.png250px-Sapphire_EN_boxart.png

Actual release.

The slogan has been officially dropped since Gen 3. Even if it has looked very much alive while being dead.

I politely parted ways with Pokemon halfway through Gen 5, so I don't have much in feeling towards this announcement. I can see how it'd make people a little Gyarados or Tyranitar, sure. But at the same time, I probably wouldn't have been concerned myself, opting instead to leave all my old Pokes in my old games, unless I wanted to begin them anew.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
A False Statement It Turns Out?

They probably dropped the slogan since Ruby and Sapphire were the first games you couldn’t catch them all.

From some of the reactions, you’d think GF were going house to house stealing Gameboys. Your old friends will get their chance, and what is the point of buying the new games if not to get attached to new ones?

17 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

They probably dropped the slogan since Ruby and Sapphire were the first games you couldn’t catch them all.

From some of the reactions, you’d think GF were going house to house stealing Gameboys. Your old friends will get their chance, and what is the point of buying the new games if not to get attached to new ones?

At this point, I'm not too surprised that people are worried that they won't be able to use a lot of their Pokemon ever again.

Here's a good example. Say Sinnoh does get its remakes. What would happen then? Would GameFreak permit every single Pokemon into this game? Or would they allow only what was available within the Sinnoh and Galar dexes? All the Pokemon up to the fourth gen with whatever else was in Galar? And, if so, would they update SwSh to include those Pokemon as well?

My biggest beef with the national dex being dropped is that excuse given as to why it was necessary, that they needed to create high quality animations, smells like BS. The animations we saw from SwSh are the same basic lacklustre animations we had on the 3DS and the models for all the past pokemon are all already created. The animations in pokemon Colloseum, a 16 years old game, are more detailed than those in SwSh.This decisions just seem to stink of lazyness (or even greed if it turns out you'll need to buy other pokemon games to transfer the pokemon not included in SwSh to gen 8).

Mechanics like Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves being dropped in favor of a lazy mechanic like Dynamaxing is just the cherry on top.

I really don't think I'm going to be buying this game and it's not just because of the national dex things. I've been growing less and less interested with the series for years now because of how stagnant it is. These cut features are just last straw in my case.

14 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I will be salty if the wimpod line isn't in sword and shield, it took me like an hour to catch one of those in a beast ball.

If Serebii is anything to go by, you can breathe easy. They actually keep track of all the Pokémon shown so far in the game.

Anyways, I’m not an “apologist”, for I don’t think the removal is ultimately a good decision. However, all I thought was “Oh, that’s kinda lame but oh well” and I’m still planning on getting the game. It just irritates me that not only are some people completely blowing off a game that isn’t even out yet and not giving it a chance despite being shown only the tip of the iceberg, but they have the gall to badger and namecall people like myself who are still willing to purchase the game(s) despite the fact as well as throw tantrums and attack GF. If you’re unhappy with change enough to drop the games entirely, whatever, that’s on you I guess. For all we know, these could be excellent and immersive games that may transcend our previous experiences with Pokémon. But all I ask is for people to not to be labelists just because someone else differs on the stance. I’ve yet to see anyone be genuinely positive about the change (though who knows, maybe such people exist). 

This announcement personally doesn't bother me much,
I do like catching all the pokemon I see, but I only really end up training about 18 of them per game. (...Please don't get made at me N.)
Even if some of my favorites don't get in, it gives me a good excuse to get to know the other pokemon better.

...besides, I think there is a good possibility of SW&SH getting an update allowing for more pokemon when the Diamond and Pearl remakes hit.
(It's definitely not that simple, but if it's planned well enough in advance that'll help all the necessary factors to align.) 

Honestly the only thing bothering me is all the misconceptions of game development going around.
(If I see the word 'lazy' one more time before the game is released, I'll... sigh in disappointment I suppose.)

Edited by Puzzle044

11 hours ago, Puzzle044 said:

(If I see the word 'lazy' one more time before the game is released, I'll... sigh in disappointment I suppose.)

N7IZaHg.jpg

Aq2dFGW.jpg

Lazy.

Those muddy textures are comparable to something I’d expect to see in a N64 game not the Switch but I guess people are just willing to ignore the truth for whatever reason.

Edit: I mean don’t get me wrong. I get that there’s people who are still excited to play a subpar game and that’s all well and good but to say it’s not lazy is just wrong. After all I’m one of those who would have given this game a pass if everyone was simply in it but getting rid of them for this kinda shit is inexcusable.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

Does it suck? Yes~

Is it justified to start cursing and wishing death upon Masuda and the other directors of the game because you don't like it? Absolutely not.

Honestly, just don't get the game. No one is forcing you to if not being able to Transfer your favorite Weedle or Croagunk is going to make the game literally unplayable for you.

I'm not talking about anyone here in particular, it's just getting extremely out of hand at this point on several sites by a lot of players when you can just plain and simple not purchase the game instead of behaving like children which makes GF even less likely to take us seriously~

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Does it suck? Yes~

Is it justified to start cursing and wishing death upon Masuda and the other directors of the game because you don't like it? Absolutely not.

Honestly, just don't get the game. No one is forcing you to if not being able to Transfer your favorite Weedle or Croagunk is going to make the game literally unplayable for you.

I'm not talking about anyone here in particular, it's just getting extremely out of hand at this point on several sites by a lot of players when you can just plain and simple not purchase the game instead of behaving like children which makes GF even less likely to take us seriously~

Thank you! And to those who are still bitter: