You can only transfer Pokemon to Sword and Shield if they exist in the Galar Dex.

Armagon

On 6/16/2019 at 12:04 AM, NegativeExponents- said:

Lazy.

Those muddy textures are comparable to something I’d expect to see in a N64 game not the Switch but I guess people are just willing to ignore the truth for whatever reason.

My apologizes, but I did say 'before the game is released'.
However to claim lazy on a playable development branch that was used for demoing at E3 is... honestly odd to me.
If the game was already released and the tree still looked like that then you would have more of a point... sorta.
There are other more likely factors to consider such as scope... which they may have very well underestimated.

Besides, in big studios developers generally have to show their work to a director,
being lazy is just going to get that developer sent back to the drawing board till they can show something that passes.
However if time is starting to run short, the priorities would certainly change. (Get things done, polish what you can after.)

In that case, they could delay the release to work on things more... but that also brings in a few more complications. (Missing the big holiday, investors, etc.)
I personally don't mind delays at all, but investors are pretty finicky. (Seeing how Nintendo's stock dropped after Animal Crossing delay was announced...)

Edited by Puzzle044

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, it sounds like the Nintendo fandom as a whole are reaching a new low, honestly, not just the Pokemon fandom. Because if some people here aren't aware, Sakurai was harrassed and insulted for not including fucking Waluigi as a playable character in Smash. And now Pokemon fans are doing similar to Masuda and them? What the fuck is wrong with people?

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, it sounds like the Nintendo fandom as a whole are reaching a new low, honestly, not just the Pokemon fandom. Because if some people here aren't aware, Sakurai was harrassed and insulted for not including fucking Waluigi as a playable character in Smash. And now Pokemon fans are doing similar to Masuda and them? What the fuck is wrong with people?

I think it's more likely that the Pokémon fans have very high expectations since Pokémon usually delivers. They kinda created a very high standard for themselves, unfortunately.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

I think it's more likely that the Pokémon fans have very high expectations since Pokémon usually delivers. They kinda created a very high standard for themselves, unfortunately.

That doesn't give them the right to harass anyone.

Edited by Anacybele

Interesting maneuver. You quote unquote amaze me Mangs... I mean Game Freaks.

Nah to be honest... I personally don't really care, I'm not the kind of guys who drag his pokemon from game to game. I do think it's bullshit, especially since people actually like to do that, who actually pay for the Pokebank and stuffs. I just hope they'll actually do something good with the pokemons they have to their full potential.

It'll severly screw people who likes to do nuzlocke and randomized challenge, it might be the point, which is a dick move.
Well, it's already kind of dick move, but you know what I mean.

I'm more annoyed at the mega-evolution being stopped, especially considered the hype arround it.
It was worth it, creating an entire generation of transition with that being the underused gimmick. 😛

Doesn't really deserve some things they suffer though.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

... High standard ? What ? 😛
Considering that hackroms and fangame kind of kick them in the balls, and that SM/USUM were the one that kinda uped the levels since a while... eeeeh, it's a 50/50 thing imo.

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

You're kind of late to the party. 😛
Seriously though, it's genuinely screwed up.

Edited by B.Leu

3 hours ago, B.Leu said:

... High standard ? What ? 😛
Considering that hackroms and fangame kind of kick them in the balls, and that SM/USUM were the one that kinda uped the levels since a while... eeeeh, it's a 50/50 thing imo.

Yeah, pokemons always been a game where people want more and more, never settling for what they have.

32 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, pokemons always been a game where people want more and more, never settling for what they have.

did we play the same games? They've been the same for 20 years and people were always happy and bought the game like hotcakes

41 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

did we play the same games? They've been the same for 20 years and people were always happy and bought the game like hotcakes

Preeeetty sure R,B,Y Don't have Mega Evolutions, and also pretty sure that most new games don't have 16 Badges, so not really the same, no. They add new mechanics all the time, and idk, do people consider the newer games on the same level? I mean, there's a reason they constantly reuse the Kanto region.

Personally, I would be fine without a Pokemon game each year. This kind of thing... that could kill game freaks.

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Preeeetty sure R,B,Y Don't have Mega Evolutions, and also pretty sure that most new games don't have 16 Badges, so not really the same, no. They add new mechanics all the time, and idk, do people consider the newer games on the same level? I mean, there's a reason they constantly reuse the Kanto region.

To be fair, they had some mechanics or gameplay that they either forgot or discarded them. It seem they actually did not learn their lessons. 😛

Because it's not the first time they forgot, memory of lil' Bleu from the past here: second gen: day/night system and Pokemon moving, I was salty then it disapeared in third gen. third gen:  the contests, I was salty then it disapeared in fourth gen. Worse, for something that wasn't really good. Etc.

XY wasn't really that great, it seemed like transition game to introduce the 3D and some new things, such as clothes and Mega Evolution... which I'm fine with. The game after though ? Awesome. Even if they did their "Ah ah ! But we have an update release for one of those !". Very sneaky those guys. Very annoying too.

My point is saying that Pokemon is the same thing is wrong... but so is saying that it's full of whatever, then they create it and then discard said whatever at the drop of hat. It's not Harvest Moon level, but still.
I love Pokemon I really do, but I'm not blind.

Yeah thinking about it the debacle around SwSh seems more like a problem with Game Freak pumping out a new game every year and less with pure lazyness. People keep comparing how unpolished the game looks compared to titles like BotW and Odyssey, but these games had years of development that permitted that level of polish. BotW came out literally 6 years after the previous instalment, while Pokemon is a nearly annual thing at this point. Game Freak also seem to struggle since the jump to 3D, so allowing them to work with other studios affiliated with Nintendo as well as allowing them to wait 4-5 years between pokemon release might allow the games to reach a level of polish similar to what fans are expecting. 

Though still, I think this whole ordeal is a good occasion for the fanbase as a whole to realise that the series has far from a perfect record. GF has been cutting out beloved features from their games for years now, always to replace it with a new gimmick that usually disapear in the next installment. The fact that 3rd versions are often glorified DLC released at the price of a full game is also not a new thing. 

And I really think everyone involved in the development of Pokemon games (Game Freak, Nintendo, Creatures Inc., etc), should think of the valid criticism they're getting from their consumers right now and take their time with the next game, not release Pokemon Sharp Sword and Sturdy Shield next year. Though if the game sell well even with the uproar, they might just ignore all of it and continue as is, which would be a shame since I really think pokemon is not living up to it's fullest potential and as stagnated for a while now. I still had fun with Moon, but I completely skipped USUM and can see myself doing the same with SwSh since pokemon games basically feel like the same experience with a new coat of paint at this point. Which is probably part of why I never really felt the itch to go back and replay a Pokemon game, since the experience is mostly interchangeable (the other part being that the presence of a single save file would mean erasing all my pokemon and progress). And though the core is fun, after experiencing it with little change for now close to 20 years, it's gotten kind of routine sadly. Though you never know, they might announce some big news with regards to SwSh that will shake things up massively, but from what we know as of now, I kind of doubt it.

Announcing the removal of previous features at around the same time the series is facing its 50% price hike on the move to consoles is a bad look. Say what you want about entitled players, but this feels like entitled developers. And all we have as far as additions is Dynamax which seems to impress nobody, not even those that had time with the demo. I haven't seen any of it, but I also don't doubt some people on the internet are saying and doing some egregious things in light of this news, but I know I'd rather not be lumped in with them when I ask reasonable questions about the feasibility of patching the game. Of course this IS the fandom that came up with the term "genwunner" to generalize opinionated people so I expect more generalizations moving forward. This is an icky time for discourse regarding Pokemon games. But if there's one response in defense of Game Freak that's bugging me it's the "well it doesn't affect me" takes. Admitting you fail to empathize is not a counter argument, it's a flat out dismissal of other people's feelings that only incites them further.

And I want this particular game to be good and sell well. These are what we wait for, new generations of pokemon. All the "third versions" and Let's Gos/remakes are just the filler to hold us over. If a game like this performs poorly, then it only justifies the yearly release schedule of lower quality titles that periodically lower what we consider the bare minimum that should be in a game. Communication would be appreciated over white lies about the work that goes into maintaining the roster of pokemon. And I've already posted a fun solution of having these new raid battles serve as the means of re-introducing the excluded pokemon on a regular basis since that'll keep people playing year round and help finance the process of updating the game which is already being paid forward as soft development for the next game. We can stomach having pokemon be excluded at first in a new generation. We've done it before even if we don't remember it.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

They add new mechanics all the time

And they remove em all the time, like the Mega evos you mentioned.

Not to mention the amount of futures added is barely notable. 

t most new games don't have 16 Badges

Yeah, most games except Gen 2 and their remakes only have 1 region. Another feature, removed.

I mean, there's a reason they constantly reuse the Kanto region.

Because Kanto prints money.

The only things they added and kept were Physical/Special split and Breeding. Everything else might as well be nothing and gets removed.

Honestly, all the mechanics they kept adding over the years is not even enough for an upgrade from one game to it's sequel. All of them put together.

If the fanbase didn't just buy anything that has pokemon on it with minimum features in the game, we wouldn't be in the current situation.

Why is it that every other Nintendo series evolves radically, while Pokemon has to stay the same? Why are people happy with the bare minimum

I think this move would be better received if the games were significantly different and more advanced, ambitious, etc. than previous entries, but Sword and Shield don't really look any better than the 3DS games. Basically, its sacrificing quantity without much quality in return. I'm willing to wait and see if these promises of "improved animations and balance" amount to anything, but I'm not expecting much (since all the models and animations seem the same as they were in X and Y). The problem is that Pokémon will sell tens of millions no matter what, so Game Freak doesn't have much reason to innovate or improve on anything.

Though I'm not really sure when Game Freak started caring about balance, they certainly didn't when they created Mega Rayquaza.

28 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Of course this IS the fandom that came up with the term "genwunner" to generalize opinionated people so I expect more generalizations moving forward.

Technically "genwun" was adopted from the Transformers fanbase, though the term they use is "geewun".

I've gotta be honest, the whole national dex debacle might not have completely stopped me, but it's resulted in a lot more analysis of how the games are developed and the design decisions made for Pokemon and it's those alongside the general disappointments and disagreements I've had with the series throughout the 3DS era that have led to me making the decision to not give the money. Of course, I'm not condoning any abuse because that is just going to cause more problems and I'm not going to scream "Boycott!" either, it's your calls what to do from here.

That's kind of a shame though, because the wild areas are something that could actually be really good and a defining feature if handled properly (though there's already been complaints in animation for the pokemon, so I have to hope that's the worst of it). Also, it's not like Dynamax is that terrible an idea (I mean mechanically speaking it could be just fine, but aesthetically I kind of wish it wasn't just "BIGGER") and Wooloo is legit something I want to be protected. Didn't have to end up this way, but I guess unless I get some sense that there's nothing to be afraid of, I guess I'm passing by choice for the first time (I didn't even realise Gen 3 existed at the time, it's literally the one gen I didn't look to from the start).

23 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

And they remove em all the time, like the Mega evos you mentioned.

Well yeah, that's change.

Not to mention the amount of futures added is barely notable. 

Not sure what you mean here.

Yeah, most games except Gen 2 and their remakes only have 1 region. Another feature, removed.

That's why GS stand out so much as well.

Because Kanto prints money.

Mostly cause bias from the devs and fans, I guess.

The only things they added and kept were Physical/Special split and Breeding. Everything else might as well be nothing and gets removed.

Pokémon powers are a thing, too y'know.

Honestly, all the mechanics they kept adding over the years is not even enough for an upgrade from one game to it's sequel. All of them put together.

Again, Pokémon powers? and shiny Pokémon from the GS era, which people really like. 

If the fanbase didn't just buy anything that has pokemon on it with minimum features in the game, we wouldn't be in the current situation.

People buy them cause they're dedicated fans for the most part.

Why is it that every other Nintendo series evolves radically, while Pokemon has to stay the same? Why are people happy with the bare minimum

Depends on how you define "evolve" I mean most recent Mario games are all the same. I'm not one of those that condones things being lazily done, either.

3 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Looks like all that #BringBackNationalDex controversy amounted to very little:

I'm not sure whether you see this as good or bad, but personally I'm glad this didn't cause people to assume that nobody likes Pokémon anymore.

21 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

I'm not sure whether you see this as good or bad, but personally I'm glad this didn't cause people to assume that nobody likes Pokémon anymore.

I mean, it's Pokemon. Sword and Shield are still gonna make mountains of cash.

Apparently, there was a fan-conducted poll asking which Pokemon was everybody's absolute lone favorite. 

Now I do not claim to know the methodology of the pollsters in question, nor the demographics of the poll's voters.

However, all but 4 of all 809 Pokemon got at least one vote.

The only Pokemon according to this that Game Freak could axe because nobody loves them? Silcoon, Gothita, Eelektrik, and Yungoos.

Pikachu strangely did not place in the top 20.

I think a huge problem is that everyone assume we could transfer all between gens forever and that all Pokemon would be always available in all games.

But as the number of Pokemon rised we knew this would be inevitable. But it’s a hard truth for many people to swallow.

I don’t think Masuda passed the message correctly though. If he revealed this when Gen 8 was first revealed, the backlash wouldn’t be as bad.

7 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I think a huge problem is that everyone assume we could transfer all between gens forever and that all Pokemon would be always available in all games.

But as the number of Pokemon rised we knew this would be inevitable. But it’s a hard truth for many people to swallow.

I don’t think Masuda passed the message correctly though. If he revealed this when Gen 8 was first revealed, the backlash wouldn’t be as bad.

Perhaps. A lot of folks would rather they still patch them in, and still find it not only odd that, after future-proofing all models back in Gen 6, they still aren’t going to add them in, even with the philosophy behind Pokémon Bank, and its subsequent successor, Pokémon Home.

I've honestly just stopped caring at this point. I'll find a better use for the $60 i would've otherwise spent on it. Game Freak can do whatever the hell they want, i don't care. If Pokemon will be added through patches, that might potentially win me back.

It's honestly just upsetting because i really do like Pokemon. This isn't a decision i'm making out of spite.

"We acknowledge fans are upset and we are not changing our minds"

What was his plan for this statement? He must have thought "oh, they don't realize we're making pokemon games after this, that's where we will add a few into the generation". Yeah, a lot of us get that. But we don't know the roadmap for Pokemon in Gen 8. Are we still doing yearly releases all the way through like last gen? Is next year's game Let's Go Togepi/Marill? Then johto/kanto fans will be happy to see the rest of those squads get in that were absent. Or will it be Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield where we can expect about a hundred more from any possible generation? I don't anticipate Gen 4 remakes, but maybe they'll prove me wrong? Can we expect Gen 8 to be two games long like most generations, or maybe bump up to three? I understand they can't answer these questions about unannounced games, but surely they see how problematic this news is? How dare they say "each and every pokemon is important to us" when all they can say is that they promise to sell as many of them back as they can. This sucks. I was holding out hope that they'd see the reason in patching them in post-release, but this statement seems to disregard the possibility.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

This sucks. I was holding out hope that they'd see the reason in patching them in post-release, but this statement seems to disregard the possibility.

Thinking on it, I don’t know why any of us expected they might patch them in. They only ever patch things out. They never patched in the additional megas from ORAS into XY, even to allow battle compatibility, nor did they patch in the Battle Frontier like everyone swore up and down that they would.