Emulating Fire Emblem on Android (tutorial)

disclaimer: I(thecrimsonflash) will not be held responsible for any damage potentially done to your phone by viruses obtained by malicious roms or over working your device with a game that is too difficult to run. The phone that was used to test all of these games is a samsung galaxy s10e, you may find different results on other devices. In both cases it is unlikely that you will damage your phone provided you don't do anything too questionable.

It is very clear that many on serenes and elsewhere have yet to play most if not all fire emblem games pre awakening, this is understandable given the general rarity and accessibility of most fire emblems, in this guide I will give you a few resources to be able to play all of the old games on the android OS (note: fe 1 and 2 will be omitted due to their remakes invalidating the need to emulate outside of educational purposes, if you need to play them, this guide should help you understand what you need to emulate them but I do not think that their inclusion in this guide is necessary). the reason why I chose android is because I realized that for many, playing fire emblem on a computer may seem hard to get into, so playing on a mobile device is a bit less cumbersome. I will be covering this in chronological order

SNES

first off emulating snes, this includes fe 3, 4, and 5, this is one of the easier ones, all you need is to go into the playstore and download "Snes9x EX+", after the app has been downloaded opening it will present you with a menu, most of these buttons can be ignored, just pressing load game will bring up the file explorer, a file type that you will get fairly familiar with is the .7z format, this is a type of compressed file much like a zip file, for now you only need to download them, due to serenes' policy against linking roms, I am unable to provide anything directly, but just looking around online should get you what you are looking for fairly quickly, but again I would like to stress, be careful. regardless, just tap the file you want and the emulator will do the rest.

the emulator in the play store

Spoiler

G2ldGIt.jpg

the main menu

Spoiler

mUg4Fzg.jpg

the list of games(please ignore anything not fe 3, 4, or 5, it is only showing compatible file formats, I do not know what happens if I try to run radiant dawn in this and do not want to risk finding out)

Spoiler

8YyKwcV.jpg

GBA

now onto GBA, pretty much the same as snes, only this time the emulator I use is called PokeGBA, the only weird quirk is a message at the start, I do not know what it is for, just say yes and you are good to go. like I said the emulator is the same as snes so the previous instructions apply here just use gba roms, I also would advise you to consider purchasing blazing sword and the sacred stones if you have a wiiu.

the emulator in the store

Spoiler

osT5mqk.jpg

the message at the start

Spoiler

avQgK2r.jpg

GCN/WII

next up is the truly coveted gamecube and wii era, I will recommend emulating these if you don't heat your home with burning stacks of cash, bear in mind that comparatively speaking these are large games and will likely require a more powerful phone to run.

first off the apps, you need two apps for this one is the emulator and the other is an app for decompressing the files. the emulator used here is the android version of dolphin and I recommend 7zipper for decompression.

the apps you need from the play store

Spoiler

wXsKW6K.jpg

8lgrlZm.jpg

after you obtain a rom for these it will likely be in the 7z format, unfortunately dolphin does not unzip them for you, what you need to do is open 7zipper find the 7z file for path of radiance or radiant dawn (more likely than not they will be under downloads) tap the file's name, a menu will pop up just press ok and the file will be extracted to the downloads folder, if you want to move it to a different place tap the ... folder (yes that is what it is named), this will step back and you can pick a better place.

a visual guide

Spoiler

2mL8sLV.jpg

OwftO6A.jpg

X7BNUTe.jpg

now that the files are prepped you can start with dolphin itself, first open dolphin emulator then select the tab for system the game is on, then press the plus button on the bottom left, you will see your file system come up, tap the folder that your game (I used downloads for demonstration purposes) is in and open the folder for the game, after you are in the correct folder tap select this directory to establish the path so dolphin knows what you want to use, now go back to the main menu and the game should show up front and center the box art won't show up until dolphin has started it at least once, but now you should be all set to play the most expensive fire emblems any time anywhere.

visual guide

Spoiler

D0ravGl.jpg

HRJPrzb.jpg

qVEIWIn.jpg

KSGcsrK.jpg

I would like to again stress that this is probably the hardest to deal with, radiant dawn may be too much for your phone, so take care that you don't melt it.

also radiant dawn had some audio issues in cutscenes, it is likely a byproduct of the file compression, if anyone has a fix I would like to add it here

video of PoR and RD on my galaxy S10e 

Spoiler

NDS

now to finish this off with ds, about as straightforward as snes and GBA however the only good emulators have ads, obnoxious as they may be there is no other option I am aware of, I recommend SuperNDS because it automatically scans for roms, just tap the game and you are good to go.

in the play store

Spoiler

GGVfB0E.jpg

the app's menu

Spoiler

qlUTmvc.jpg

shadow dragon also had some really bad sounding music in it's main menu, the rest of the game sounded just fine however.

and that about concludes this little tutorial, feel free to add anything else that you think could make this guide better and pm me if you need help understanding, I know that some of this can be difficult to understand.

@eclipse do I need to change anything or is this good as is, I don't want to go breaking any rules here?

Edited by thecrimsonflash

4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

8YyKwcV.jpg

The name of your FE4 rom hints that it has the Gharnef translation patch applied, does that indicate that the Project Naga translation patch for FE4 and Project Exile translation patch for FE5 do not work with this emulator due to the Rom expansion?

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The name of your FE4 rom hints that it has the Gharnef translation patch applied, does that indicate that the Project Naga translation patch for FE4 and Project Exile translation patch for FE5 do not work with this emulator due to the Rom expansion?

no, that's just what I had, I'm pretty sure it should work like any emulator provided you are using the right formats. I am not completely aware of how to apply the patches, the roms I downloaded already had the patches applied, though if there is anything there that could be used to improve this tutorial to make it better for common use I would appreciate it.

edit: I am not very familiar with project exile, but I don't see any reason why it would not work.

5 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

no, that's just what I had, I'm pretty sure it should work like any emulator provided you are using the right formats. I am not completely aware of how to apply the patches, the roms I downloaded already had the patches applied, though if there is anything there that could be used to improve this tutorial to make it better for common use I would appreciate it.

edit: I am not very familiar with project exile, but I don't see any reason why it would not work.

First off, looks fine AFAIK.

Second, check the patching instructions for Project Naga/Exile, and see if they translate over.  The app itself might have some documentation on it, too.

Does Pokegba have ads? I used to use MyBoy but I got a new phone and rather than deal with digging out my old phone, charging it and hoping its tenuous grip on functionality lasts until I can transfer the application over, I'd like to hear about this alternative in more detail. The MyBoy GBA application is no longer free, or I would just use it.

Edited by De Geso

10 hours ago, De Geso said:

Does Pokegba have ads? I used to use MyBoy but I got a new phone and rather than deal with digging out my old phone, charging it and hoping its tenuous grip on functionality lasts until I can transfer the application over, I'd like to hear about this alternative in more detail. The MyBoy GBA application is no longer free, or I would just use it.

no it does not, only the ds emulator had ads. it's pretty good I think, it uses the same UI as SNES9x Ex+ and files are about the same to deal with it accepts the 7z format so unzipping is unnecessary. I do need to admit that I do not have a massive amount of time invested in it however due to not yet getting around to playing Binding Blade, but it is fairly good across the board for what I have played, the saturation is a little high but otherwise it was pretty stable, it isn't as good as the 3DS' GBA emulation for sacred stones (but nintendo made that, so it is understandable)

• 3 weeks later...