Seiken Densetsu 3/Trials of Mana finally localized

Jedi

So, this rpg is one of my favorites of all time. If anyone has any general questions about it i'll be happy to answer it, this is basically the Mana equal to that of Mother 3 finally getting officially localized too. 

Can't wait for that built from the ground up remake coming around too, already looking better than the mediocre remake of Secret of Mana.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never thought this would happen. The Direct legit took me aback.

And as someone who never played 3 and wasn't a fan of the other two, can you convince me this is the one in terms of have the gameplay feels?

Hope is in my heart today, thanks to this wonderful news.

I'll argue that Seiken Densetsu 3 is stupidly grindy at times and can end up being hard because of wrong team composition, but shoot, still a great game that I love very much.

I mean I loved SK3 before I loved Terranigma.

I'm going to be hyped as hell when I see the class arts for the remake.

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

You know, I never thought this would happen. The Direct legit took me aback.

And as someone who never played 3 and wasn't a fan of the other two, can you convince me this is the one in terms of have the gameplay feels?

It's more refined, I know an issue people have with Secret of Mana (if they have one) is usually how clunky it feels, and SD3 improves on that, every character also feels super unique instead of just having to level up weapons (which you don't have to do). Two characters even specialize in quick multiple hitting attacks, those being Hawk and Kevin. 

So all you generally have to worry about is fighting, leveling and your class branches. Although you may find some similar issues to a degree? It's just not gonna be as egregious, but that's my take on it honestly.  I'd say give it an honest go (maybe try it on emulation with the translation before you purchase the collection or remake). 

While I adore SD3, i'm not gonna be like "OMG YOU SHOULD LOVE IT" because tastes vary.

Edited by Jedi

What a surprise this is finally happening! I bought the collection yesterday so I'll be able to play it soon.

I've also played but not finished FFA and Secret of Mana... maybe the collection will be my chance to finally finish them?

So as mentioned in the other threads, Seiken Densetsu 3 was easily my absolute favorite JRPG from my childhood. The announcement was the highlight of the entire Direct for me.

So it looks like the game is now in full 3D, which is awesome, and is at least partially voiced. We see a few cutscenes that are voiced as well as combat. (Is that Seto Asami as Riesz? She's giving me strong Linde vibes.) I'm hoping for fully voiced, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm hoping each of the class changes has its own character model this time around. The old SNES game could at least get away with recolors of the original sprite and only have the class-specific art show in the status screen, but I don't think they can get away with that in this day and age.

I'm also hoping that Riesz's summon animations don't disappoint.

I'm also digging the new box art. The new character art keeps the same aesthetic feel as the original, but looks much more refined.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I hope they revamp the combat system. I wanted to love the original, but the boss fights were so dull with their unavoidable area attacks that made the “action” part of the “action rpg” basically irrelevant.

Well, we do see in the gameplay video that you can now dodge through attacks, so it's not unlikely that enemy attacks have been reworked to be more action-friendly as well.

Also hyped about it, really hope it gets more accepted in the west. And they put more into it then Secret of Mana.

Almost played all games from the series, even Rise of Mana. And the Combat system looks better. I am interested in how different they could play. Maybe that Riesz has some nice air combos. I might start with Angela though. Cannot wait to play this game.

Edited by Stroud

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm hoping each of the class changes has its own character model this time around. The old SNES game could at least get away with recolors of the original sprite and only have the class-specific art show in the status screen, but I don't think they can get away with that in this day and age.

To be fair, only the Light-Light and Dark-Dark classes had artworks... and boy they were cool !
But I agree, if they recolors when it's on 3D... no, just no, I'll be annoyed as hell.

Makes me wonder what they'll do for the first Light and Dark classes.

24 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

To be fair, only the Light-Light and Dark-Dark classes had artworks... and boy they were cool !
But I agree, if they recolors when it's on 3D... no, just no, I'll be annoyed as hell.

Makes me wonder what they'll do for the first Light and Dark classes.

Are you sure? I swear each class had its own art, though I most certainly don't trust my memories from 15 years ago.

I'm super excited to see Seiken Densetsu 3 reimagined like that.

I put down the $40 for the Collection of Mana without a second thought purely for Trials. I played Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time over the summer 12 years ago on my hacked PSP in busted English, now I'm playing it on my Switch over the course of this summer in less busted English.

Edited by Slumber

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Are you sure? I swear each class had its own art, though I most certainly don't trust my memories from 15 years ago.

Unless I really missed something, and I took a quick look at google image to be sure, there's only artworks for the Start classes, Light-light and Dark-Dark classes.

Which is a shame: the sprite of some Dark-Light Light-Dark classes are really cool ! So I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by B.Leu

42 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Unless I really missed something, and I took a quick look at google image to be sure, there's only artworks for the Start classes, Light-light and Dark-Dark classes.

Which is a shame: the sprite of some Dark-Light Light-Dark classes are really cool ! So I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I was talking about the sprites only, where all 7 classes have their own status screen art in-game.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I'm super excited to see Seiken Densetsu 3 reimagined like that.

I put down the $40 for the Collection of Mana without a second thought purely for Trials. I played Seiken Densetsu 3 for the first time over the summer 12 years ago on my hacked PSP in busted English, now I'm playing it on my Switch over the course of this summer in less busted English.

Same man, also I guess I sold more of my soul than I thought, since this happened now too.

Treehouse segment, with a few minutes of the classic version and a lot of early game footage of the new one:

Remake has the following things to note:

• No multiplayer apparently, due to the new engine. This is a massive loss for me
  • Mini-map with objective markers
  • Entire areas are on the same screen rather than regular transitions. The camera can be controlled as well.
  • Jumping and aerial combat
  • More basic attacks & combos, including some charged attacks and wide-area swings. There's also a dodge action
  • Large area attacks can also be avoided; in the fight against the Fullmetal Hugger, they were able to avoid an attack where he jumps in the air and crashes down on the party.
  • Bosses seem to have weak/strong points now, Fullmetal Hugger's weak spot being his eyes
  • Little bonuses for how you beat enemies (taking no damage, fast kills, etc)
  • Lots more treasure to find if you explore. I can't remember
  • Music sounds very faithful to the original

It sounds like they're planning at least the cutscenes to be fully voiced in English and Japanese. (No word on if other dialogue will be voiced.)

My memory of things in general is fuzzy, but compared to the fan-translated names, it seems some of the place names are slightly different in English:

• Forcena, where Duran is from, is now Valsena.
  • Rolante, where Riesz is from, is now Laurent.
  • Navarre, where Hawkeye is from, is now Nevarl. Kind of funny because Fire Emblem's Navarre's name was Nabarl in Japanese.

The character select screen has close-ups of the character models, and they all look absolutely fabulous. The maps are also beautiful.

Oh, and Riesz's thighs on her character card artwork.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I was talking about the sprites only, where all 7 classes have their own status screen art in-game.

Oh. My bad. Well, they all have sprite in the menu yeah.
Pretty cool looking too.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Oh, and Riesz's thighs on her character card artwork.

A man of culture I see. I always prefered Angela personally.
.. Well, it was more about her being the mage than her being... you know, but shhh.

But damn the graphism are really, really gorgeous looking.
Well, breast bounce, because of course. 🤣

"Lise is a very popular character in Japan", nah guys, she is a very popular character.

4 hours ago, B.Leu said:

"Lise is a very popular character in Japan", nah guys, she is a very popular character.

Heck she's even in a decently recent Arcade fighting game. I believe its called Million Arthur: Arcane Blood?

I've only played a little of Secret of Mana (up to the forest with the puzzle that requires you go through the seasons in the right order), and I'm not sure whether I should spring for the $40 Collection, or wait for this remade Trials of Mana game later (and maybe get CoM on a hypothetical sale). I know I can't get any definitive answers until Trials of Mana reviews start coming out, but any preliminary advice?

The Mana franchise looks fun, I like the aesthetic vibrancy at least.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Since Jedi made this topic, I accidentally put "Trails" of Mana.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:53 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've only played a little of Secret of Mana (up to the forest with the puzzle that requires you go through the seasons in the right order), and I'm not sure whether I should spring for the $40 Collection, or wait for this remade Trials of Mana game later (and maybe get CoM on a hypothetical sale). I know I can't get any definitive answers until Trials of Mana reviews start coming out, but any preliminary advice?

The Mana franchise looks fun, I like the aesthetic vibrancy at least.

If you still need to play all 3 games its a good thing to start for you. I mean if you are unsure maybe you should wait for a Sale. Also the 3 games give you are good starter to get to know the series and Trials of Mana begins to imagine Seiken Densetsu in a way I like it. Legend of Mana was even better in that.

I think Trials of Mana has some replay Value. Maybe not often in a short time but after some years I could play it again. Also just played through the Version from the Collection and so far I liked it. Only downside about the game I remember is that the battle flow is more wanky compared to Secret of Mana and Mystic Quest. Because you will always find yourself seeing Magic which stops the battle, which also happens in Secret of Mana but not this frequently.. And some enemies spam them. I mean they admitted that there have been many difficulties and I sure think the Remake will turn out better with a much better battle flow. I really like that there is a new Combo system in the remake and I am a sucker for Arial Combos. (Played Judith in Tales of Vesperia and loved keeping the enemy in the sky). 

Actually this time I realized that the enemies changed habits when I played different characters. When I picked Duran they tend to do way more Spells...so as another advice if you see them spamming spells test switching characters and see if they still do it.

As for the Story I want you to find out yourself. I think Trials of Mana overall has something unique about it which I like. And the characters are all likable in their own way. Angela is my favorite of course.

I think 40$ may be a bit much and it would be ok to wait for a sale if you are unsure about it. 

For me it also kind of was an act of support. I want to support the series if I can and hope that it revives in a good way.

If you want to go one another way btw you could think about giving Adventure of Mana and Secret of Mana remake a chance and then go to Trials of Mana Remake.
Sadly Adventure of Mana only exists on IOS/Android and PS Vita. But it is a 3D remake of Mystic Quest/Seiken Densetsu. Which is pretty much the same way Secret of Mana Remake has been done. True to the original but with a 3D look and some adjustments. 

As for Secret of Mana, many hated this but I didn't dislike the Remake or IOS/Android version. It was not the wish I had in mind. But they actually improved some things like the battle flow (Spells don't disturb the battle flow and you can actually move while Spells have been done).

Don't know if it helped a bit. xD But that sums some of my thoughts up. 

Btw, Riesz in a Fighting Game was mentioned here.

Here is how she looks there:

Spoiler

Edited by Stroud

14 hours ago, Stroud said:

Btw, Riesz in a Fighting Game was mentioned here.

Here is how she looks there:

All I learned from the video was that that Iori guy only has one combo worth using. Can't they get better players to do gameplay trailers?

EDIT: Oh... that explains a lot. That's just his 5AAAAA auto-combo. Can't tell if lazy or...

Edited by Ice Dragon

49 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

All I learned from the video was that that Iori guy only has one combo worth using. Can't they get better players to do gameplay trailers?

EDIT: Oh... that explains a lot. That's just his 5AAAAA auto-combo. Can't tell if lazy or...

Dang yeah xD. And there I thought Fighting Game developers should show off a bit what is possible. I would assume some of them should be good in the genre...

Not really fond of auto combos though. I mean I get it, but good combos with good inputs are just the thing. Also I often see that Riesz seems to be one of the most popular characters there. Sadly she is the only one who got into the game. I think Kevin would be interesting though with his transformation..

Next time I should just pick a gameplay video of a good player. 

OMG!!!!!  Secret of Mana was my most played game that isn't competitive, played it dozens of times with different people.  However SD3 IMO is even better with its branching class system, multiple endings, 6 select characters, faster battle system.  Yes it is my favorite RPG of all time, I might even go as far to say my favorite single player/co op game of all time.  

I really love how this remake looks, and the wonderfully composed soundtrack can't wait to here it orchestrated hopefully they do a great job.  I hope the gameplay is expanded on and flows well, and they expand what the different classes get even more.  I've been waiting since the 90s when we got Secret of Evermore instead, for this game. The fan translation was excellent and allowed many of us to enjoy it, but now getting an ambitious remake and localization I can't wait!  

My (Japanese) (physical) copy of Collection of Mana came in yesterday, and I'm now reliving the experience of playing through the game again.

I'm hoping the the remake will rewrite at least a decent amount of the dialogue to make it a bit less stiff, I suppose is the best word to describe it. The game is 24 years old, and it shows. I wonder if anyone who's picked up the English localized version can say if the localized script feels the same way or if the official localization being far more recent has made it feel a bit less old.

Just playing the original game again also makes it clear just how much of an improvement the remake's combat system is compared to the original. Though I'm sure I'll feel at least a bit better about the original combat system when I'm no longer being overrun by mushrooms on every map (having a full party helps a lot).

As for my actual playthrough, I've so far decided to run my original party of Riesz, Duran, and Angela. Riesz will be going Fenrir Knight (DD). Duran will be going Lord (LD) so that I actually have reliable healing that isn't dependent on item usage. Angela will be going Grand Divina (LL). Besides my obsession with having all characters in the party have the exact same exp. so that they all level up at the same time requiring me to solo some 200+ exp. worth of 50-damage-dart-throwing trash with Angela, things have been going well.

Here's hoping I have enough free time around my other games to actually finish the game this time before the remake comes out. And maybe do another run with the other three characters (not sure if I want Kevin or Hawkeye as the lead for that run, but Charlotte will definitely be my third so that I can get a full party before the first boss and don't have to deal with solo leveling the last member)?

Seems like everyone here has good things to say about the Mana series. Makes me want to try the series out even though I still need to finish Octopath Traveler and I just started Final Fantasy 5 very recently.