Your feelings on DQ Hero and Banjo getting in

Jedi

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally don't really care about The Hero and Banjo Kazooie. The Hero's moveset does look interesting but I'm not paying twelve dollars for these two characters.

I do see why these two characters were picked though. Dragon Quest is insanely popular in Japan and Banjo Kazooie is popular to westerners who were kids in the late 90's and had a N64. So I do think they were good picks for Smash since both had history with Nintendo but they are not for me.

I'm pretty happy about Banjo! I never thought he'd be possible, but man am I happy to be wrong. He's the DLC character I'm most excited for right now.

I'm not really into Dragon Quest but I'm okay with that guy, too. I'd definitely take him over someone undeserving like Geralt or random Minecraft dude anyday.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:07 PM, Dai said:

III

I didn't actually notice this, since the female Erdrick looks so similar to the male. I just thought it was another pic of the guy at first glance

Same attire as the pic I posted above. The differences in body shape and are obscured by the plentiful clothes, the face is not that different either. It's the earrings alone which make it clear as day this is female.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, Johann said:

I'm not well versed in their characters at all, but they did have at least 4 female heroes they could have used, right? Looking at their Final Smash makes it seem like every lead in the series is a Toriyama sameface guy.

Not to get into gender depiction discussions and all, that tends to derail things and make few happy (so please don't make something enormous of this). But in general, I wouldn't say DQ is the most gender equal of franchises. It's had bunny girls since DQIII I think, even if its females are usually conservatively dressed (Maya the dancer being an exception, another being the lack of pants on the IV Heroine option). And there is a skill called "Puff-Puff" since VI. Puff-puff being a term that started in Dragon Ball, Toriyama's other signature entertainment franchise, meaning "put one's breast in another's face". Males and females alike can use it in some games, albeit with different effects- males deal damage, females leave the enemy stunned.

I mean both of those things I just said are there for silliness, which does define much of DQ's spirit, but is there a certain antiquated perspective here I can eyeroll at. Although strong and perky females have existed in pretty much every game since IV as well. Alena isn't bound to a guy (although her healer servant Kiryl has affections for her), and is one potent martial artist.

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Alena

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Indeed. Banjo and Dragon Quest are okay. I'd definitely take them over someone undeserving like Professor Layton, Lyn, Dixie, or random Tekken dude anyday.

Dixie undeserving? What the fuck are you on about m8?

2 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Don't mind him. He's under the insistent impression that Geralt is more deserving of Smash Bros. than literal Nintendo all-stars like Dixie.

Geralt isn't even a video game character technically. What makes someone like him more "deserving" for a playable spot over a well established and long requested Nintendo heroine like Dixie?

30 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Dixie undeserving? What the fuck are you on about m8?

It was just a jab at the petty and unnecessary immaturity of the poster above. He's the one, after all, who took the time to explicitly reference our conversation in another thread, like a total prannit.

If I don't respect someone and they make a point of negatively referencing me, I'm going to respond in kind. I can be snarky when I feel like it. Don't put too much stock into it on face value; I thought that should be self-evident by the fact that I used pretty much his exact phrasing.

(Dixie is fine. I do not like her. But she's fine. Should just add her as an alt for Diddy to throw her fans a small banana and be done with it.)

Edited by Etheus

37 minutes ago, Etheus said:

*snip*

My first comment here ("Banjo cool DQ guy cool I'll take him over yadda yadda") was not a reference to you or our previous conversation, actually, and no ill-will was intended.

My second reply ("don't mind him blah blah blah"), however, was in reply to your direct reply to me.

Cool stuff, bye-bye.

2 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

My first comment here ("Banjo cool DQ guy cool I'll take him over yadda yadda") was not a reference to you or our previous conversation, actually, and no ill-will was intended.

My second reply ("don't mind him blah blah blah"), however, was in reply to your direct reply to me.

Cool stuff, bye-bye.

Sure it wasn't. Surrreeeee. Out of the literal millions of video games characters who you consider to be undeserving, you name drop a specific one that you had a disagreement with me over. Let's just say I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately, you're the one who addressed me in the other thread, responding to my favorable opinion of a character with a negative (and imbecilic) comment, not the other way around, and I am within reason to see it the same here.

Cool stuff, bye-bye.

16 minutes ago, Etheus said:

*snip*

Chill the hell out.
I was not referencing you.
Believe it or not, I have seen Geralt and Minecraft Guy (did not even know his name was Steve until very recently) suggested in many other forums and many other sites.
You are not within reason to start calling people prannits and imbeciles.
Dear lord you're taking things ridiculously personally and to insane unreasonable heights. Just chill the hell out.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Chill the hell out.
I was not referencing you.
Believe it or not, I have seen Geralt and Minecraft Guy (did not even know his name was Steve until very recently) suggested in many other forums and many other sites.
You are not within reason to start calling people prannits and imbeciles.
Dear lord you're taking things ridiculously personally and to insane unreasonable heights. Just chill the hell out.

While I disagree with your sentiments entirely, and maintain that your tone has at multiple times been unjust and (intentionally or otherwise) offensive in both threads, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this particular incident was a misunderstanding as you say, and call it a day. Speak reasonably, and I'm more than reasonable. Treat me as you did in the other thread, and any negative opinions that I may or may not form will be natural until I am shown otherwise. That's the way of things, and that's the end of it, if only because I have enough stresses to deal with without it, and there is nothing of value to be gained for either of us here.

Edited by Etheus

8 minutes ago, Etheus said:

While I disagree with your sentiments entirely, and maintain that your tone has at multiple times been unjust and (intentionally or otherwise) offensive in both threads, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this particular incident was a misunderstanding as you say, and call it a day. Speak reasonably, and I'm more than reasonable. Treat me as you did in the other thread, and any negative opinions that I may or may not form will be natural until I am shown otherwise. That's the way of things, and that's the end of it, if only because I have enough stresses to deal with without it, and there is nothing of value to be gained for either of us here.

Not that I don't understand being upset, but isn't it a little silly to get upset at somebody for disagreeing with you? Also, you really shouldn't be okay with treating people poorly like it's justified, I mean, don't you want to treat people kindly?

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

While I disagree with your sentiments entirely, and maintain that your tone has at multiple times been unjust and (intetionally or otherwise) offensive in both threads, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that this particular incident was a misunderstanding as you say, and call it a day. Speak reasonably, and I'm more than reasonable. Treat me as you did in the other thread, and any negative opinions that I may or may not form will be natural until I am shown otherwise. That's the way of things, and that's the end of it.

Go back and read your own responses.
I said nothing that was rude or over-the-top in either thread.
I didn't call anyone an imbecile, unlike you. I didn't throw any personal attacks at anyone, unlike you. A DISAGREEMENT ABOUT SMASH "WORTHINESS" DOES NOT MEAN I'M BEING OFFENSIVE OR THAT YOU CAN START THROWING PERSONAL INSULTS AT ME.
I didn't state any negative opinion with any sort of sarcasm unless I was berated first.
You are the ONLY one who's been spewing both offensive bullcrap AND personal attacks. YOU treated ME badly in both threads, not the other way around. Don't you dare try spinning this crap around like that. YOU attacked ME, and I responded in kind.

You really wanna twist it like that? Fine then, here's the first thing I said in the other thread:
"Honestly there's tons of others that deserve it more, in my opinion. I don't think Geralt really deserves it at ALL. Characters like Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Write, Professor Layton, Spyro, someone from Tekken, heck even someone from Resident Evil all would be more deserving, I think. Not to mention the sizable number of Nintendo all-stars that aren't in the game (Lyn, Dixie Kong, Impa, etc.)."

To which you replied:
"I find it hard not to laugh at the idea of Professor Leyton, Impa, Dixie Kong, a random Tekken character, and Lyn deserving it more than the protagonist of one of the greatest and most ic
onic RPGs of all time. Not one character you mentioned deserves it more. At best, someone like Crash, Spyro, or Phoenix Wright might deserve it to a comparable degree."

And that was unwarranted, you really replied with uncalled for snobbery and all I've done is reply in kind. And that's what started this kerfuffle with you. You've been acting like a pompous ass to me the entire time. Don't you DARE start acting like I started this.

As for my FIRST comment in THIS thread, no. I was not being snobby to you. I wasn't talking to you. Geralt and Minecraft Guy are characters I see suggested a LOT by a LOT of different people. You aren't alone in wanting them. You took my comment in the completely wrong way, the worst way, and you CONTINUE acting like an ass about it and acting as if you're justified in being a complete asshat. Piss off, I'm done with you.

And THAT'S the end of it.

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Not that I don't understand being upset, but isn't it a little silly to get upset at somebody for disagreeing with you? Also, you really shouldn't be okay with treating people poorly like it's justified, I mean, don't you want to treat people kindly?

To say that I want to treat others kindly would be an understatement. When a friend is in need, I have often helped them with medical bills and other expenses out of my own pocket and to my great and lasting stress.

Kindnesses done to me are repaid many times over, and insults levied at me are similarly repaid in the negative, if I am so inclined. It depends on the regard with which I hold the person, really. I do not know the above poster. I know only what he has shown me, and I am not impressed (and that last reply isn't helping).

We humans are interesting creatures. We can't be captured wholly in a single conversation. That applies to me, and, to give him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose it applies to him.

Edited by Etheus

6 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I put Etheus on my ignore list. I recommend anyone else who takes issue with their behavior do the same, and move on.

The Hero is neat, but I'm positively ecstatic about Banjo-Kazooie getting in. 😄

Yup he's definitely on the ignore list.

ANYWAY. Banjo. Freaking happy about that, I'm definitely looking forward to him. Right now that's the DLC character I'm most looking forward to.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

(Dixie is fine. I do not like her. But she's fine. Should just add her as an alt for Diddy to throw her fans a small banana and be done with it.)

Dixie fans would consider that giving them the bird rather than a banana.

Edited by Florete

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Should known better than to make a thread like this here, aw well. 

I'll get someone to lock it here soon.

It should fizzle out, one spat where the two involved are rational enough to eventually stop isn't worth locking this over.

The Hero’s inclusion as well as gameplay from DQ, as encouraged me to try the game now when it comes out. So yeah positively.

Not too much on Banjo and Kazookie, but I’m sure there fans are happy. 😀

I'll start by saying that I bought the Fighter's Pass long ago, before Joker was even revealed. I want to play as every character that gets released for Smash since even if it's someone I don't care for, I still want to try them out and maybe even main them. Maybe they'll make me curious to try out their games.

I've played very little DQ (only played IX and didn't even finished it) so I have no attachment to the Hero, but he does look pretty cool and with a fun moveset to try out. It's even wanting me to try out the upcoming DQXI definite edition on Switch.

Banjo Kazooie was an absolute dream come true as they were always one of my top wanted characters, ever since I played both Smash 64 and BK back in the N64 days. When the Jiggy bounced around the screen I knew EXACTLY what was all about, and I couldn't stop smiling until it was over. Not even the BOTW2 teaser could make me turn aside of what I just witnessed.

Edited by Jave

7 hours ago, Jave said:

Banjo Kazooie was an absolute dream come true as they were always one of my top wanted characters, ever since I played both Smash 64 and BK back in the N64 days. When the Jiggy bounced around the screen I knew EXACTLY what was all about, and I couldn't stop smiling until it was over.

This is a great way to summarize it. I know that they use a lot of things from Banjo and Kazooie as well, which makes it that much better.