Gamespot E3 Video Preview

1 hour ago, BastienSoul said:

I think the video might have confirmed Con or something similar returning. Byleth was weighed down by 2 by the Iron Lance, and it seems unlikely that it would have 26 weight (2 more than her strength at the time) or 2 weight (less than an Iron Sword), so a Con stat is the only thing that would make sense.

You're right, that being said, let's not jump the gun, she has three skills which we don't know the effect of, could be receiving stat boosts from her prf sword that wouldn't show up in the level up roll, could have consumed tonics or eaten at the cafeteria, etc, etc.

Judging from what we know(Steel sword = 10 weight), she's getting a reduction of 4 on weapon weight, it would seem.

... god that movement gambit is absurd. Why would you not use that every time on the first turn? Sure it will make movement differences a bit less of a problem(then again it's amazing for canto), but...

Edited by Cysx

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm totally cool with that, though.

I have nothing against S-supports in and of themselves, either. It's just the fact that likely 99% of the people you will be able to romance (the other 1% will likely be Sothis) are your students, which is a big N-O from me because of personal reasons.

Though then again, do we have any confirmation that Byleth is that much older than the students? Could be they're the same age, but are qualified as teachers only due to actually having been in combat before. One way or the other, I'm not a fan of the teacher-student romance angle.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Even if it happens, i have a gut feeling they're going for quality over quantity. It's doing a similar thing that Echoes did where not every Support rank can be achieved in one go. Some don't unlock until you've reached certain chapters. That's one of the things that made Echoes' Supports so good, the other thing being that not everyone could support with everyone (even though sometimes it didn't make sense, Genny totally should've been able to support Boey and Mae, and Faye should've totally been able to support the Ram Villagers).

Very good chance S-Supports don't unlock until after the timeskip.

I liked Echoes' way of doing supports, that they unlock based on what part you were in. Would like the same in 3H, honestly. I 100% agree with your gripes, too.

That durability seems to return is something I didn't really want. I would accept it if it was a map-by-map thing, like they seem to do with magic, but if it is traditional durability, that's a minus for me, honestly. I was never that much of a fan of it, since the only real thing it "added" was that players horded their best weapons for little to no reason, and was glad Fates and Echoes didn't have it.
Same with Con. It never added anything to the game and made some characters worse if not plain useless.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I have nothing against S-supports in and of themselves, either. It's just the fact that likely 99% of the people you will be able to romance (the other 1% will likely be Sothis) are your students, which is a big N-O from me because of personal reasons.

Though then again, do we have any confirmation that Byleth is that much older than the students? Could be they're the same age, but are qualified as teachers only due to actually having been in combat before. One way or the other, I'm not a fan of the teacher-student romance angle.

Byleth seems about the same age, but either way they confirmed in the Treehouse showcase that romance only happens after the time skip.

Just now, Florete said:

Byleth seems about the same age, but either way they confirmed in the Treehouse showcase that romance only happens after the time skip.

If that's the case, it's less squicky at least. Still a little weird, but not I-won't-buy-the-game-because-of-it-weird. Glad to know I can put that fear to rest, somewhat.

Did they say we would get more Three Houses or did I mishear them? I was so surprised when I saw this squirrel game.

Edit: Sorry about that, chaps. Wrong thread.

Edited by Thane

29 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

We know that there is romance, but that doesn't mean it has to be marriage right away. It could be like how a lot of the 2nd Gen supports in Fates had them start dating, and then have them marry in their paired endings.

it wouldn't be much of an improvement to me, since i find that marriage/romance-involving supports tend to ignore talking about the characters' backgrounds in order to focus on much more irrelevant aspects

On 6/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, DragonFlames said:

That durability seems to return is something I didn't really want. I would accept it if it was a map-by-map thing, like they seem to do with magic, but if it is traditional durability, that's a minus for me, honestly. I was never that much of a fan of it, since the only real thing it "added" was that players horded their best weapons for little to no reason, and was glad Fates and Echoes didn't have it.

This was confirmed by the Japanese website but basically, when a weapon's durability reaches zero, it just enters a broken state where you can still use it, it's just weaker. That also suggests there'll be a repair shop.

I can't believe Three Houses is being a better Genealogy of the Holy War than Genealogy of the Holy War

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

This was confirmed by the Japanese website but basically, when a weapon's durability reaches zero, it just enters a broken state where you can still use it, it's just weaker. That also suggests there'll be a repair shop.

I can't believe Three Houses is being a better Genealogy of the Holy War than Genealogy of the Holy War

Ah, in that case, all is fine. I actually kind of like that idea, even if it seems unnecessary at first glance, like a weird middle ground between durability and no durability. I think I already know one challenge people will do when the game comes out: a "Weapon Nuzlocke": If your weapon enters a broken state at any point, you can't use it anymore.

I think you should probably start finding places to hide for when the FE4 fanatics shows up at your door.

Personally, I'm really glad broken weapons are returning. But I hope they become unequipped when they break or at least they don't have 99 Weight or something, making your character a liability when their weapon breaks during the enemy phase ^^;;;

I always tried to preserve rarer weapons and often hung onto low use ones to repair them later with Hammerne etc. But I was always paranoid I'd accidentally let them completely break and vanish.

Anyway, I think this system is a really good middle ground. You still have to think about conserving weapons somewhat, but you don't need to go too crazy. Fates was kinda overly complicated with "feel free to use any weapon, oh this weapon is stronger but has ABCD drawbacks". While Echoes was just equip whatever is strongest.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, Cysx said:

... god that movement gambit is absurd. Why would you not use that every time on the first turn? Sure it will make movement differences a bit less of a problem(then again it's amazing for canto), but...

Pair the movement gambit with a sing/dance skill and we could send somebody so far on the first turn. I can already sense the shenanigans.