Gamespot E3 Video Preview

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised no one's talking about this (maybe we already knew and I missed it), but apparently once you have passed the exam you can just freely change between classes with a click. That means you don't have to think too much "on the long run" with composition of the team, I mean if a character has good spear then you can easily make him infantry/cavalry/flyer depending on what you need for that specific map... not sure how I feel about this, might be a bit "cheesing" it.

I'm back from a bit of a hiatus, and I have to say I absolutely love how this new trailer looked, and I'm amused at something that started as a joke (Byleth getting a saiyan like transformation) by me became an actual thing. 

I'm looking forward to even more info from the Treehouse later.

Edited by Jedi

So I just thought about something... Could Wyvern Knight actually be a Male exclusive class ?
We already know that Pegasus is Female Exclusive, so it's a possibility.

I suppose only time will tell.

Also, do we actually know what each of the classes presented here are ?

1 minute ago, Tamanoir said:

So I just thought about something... Could Wyvern Knight actually be a Male exclusive class ?
We already know that Pegasus is Female Exclusive, so it's a possibility.

I suppose only time will tell.

Also, do we actually know what each of the classes presented here are ?

We can dismount Edelgard in the class change screen. Might be a visual thing only, who knows!
1n1Scnk.jpg

Also Pegasus knights only seem to have 6 Mov, Mercenaries have 5, and Armor knights are confirmed to only have 4. Cavs have 7.

Also also, Skl(skill) was renamed to Dex(likely dexterity).

Edited by Cysx

Dang, there's a lot of neat details in there.

The legendary heroes are called the 10 Elites. So 10 Greats was close.

Heh, the mystery crest turned out to be anticlimactic, unless that's still not the true form.

029-sword-byleth.jpg

Also, not sure if already pointed out, but we know Byleth's sword too. Matches with the leaks.

3 hours ago, timon said:

Surprised no one's talking about this (maybe we already knew and I missed it), but apparently once you have passed the exam you can just freely change between classes with a click. That means you don't have to think too much "on the long run" with composition of the team, I mean if a character has good spear then you can easily make him infantry/cavalry/flyer depending on what you need for that specific map... not sure how I feel about this, might be a bit "cheesing" it.

One of the previous Famitsu articles mentioned it (the last one I think?).

Anyway, I don't think it will be a major issue personally. It will depend on how limited you are with the class-change seals. If they aren't common, you won't be able to unlock that many classes per character. That might hold true in particular to the highest tier (seemingly something higher than advanced); while you might be able to unlock a ton of the lower classes, you might not be able to do so for the higher ones. 

Plus, the character also has to pass the test. In your example, the character would need to train in: Spear, Flying and Cavalry. That might be viable for lower tier classes (like Cavalier seems to only require a D in riding), but you might be hard-pressed to level up all three for high tier classes, and leave you with little room to train for Authority for better troops.

If I'm wrong and all seals are common and it's easy to train many skills very high... I guess it'll be like Shadow Dragon with it's full free reclass system? 

i do find it interesting that you can poach students from other houses, guess the 'divide-by-country' isn't so Iron clad after all.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

No child units?

Thank Naga.

That still doesn't make S-supports unlikely, though. *shudder*

Plenty of cool stuff has been revealed here, I have to admit. The class-changing and recruiting characters from another house seem especially interesting. Battle preps screen looks neat, too.
I'm interested to see what else will be in the game.

don't know how I feel about these armor knight designs, they are better than fates (as though that was hard), but I just don't know. At least they aren't completely top heavy now, which is a good thing.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

No kids is a good thing if only in that it confirms they're finally willing to stray from the Awakening formula for new titles. I mean, this game already looked very unique, but I'm glad the focus will be on the students themselves instead of matchmaking.

Something that I'm a bit worried about just based on how it's been discussed is how long the second part of the game will be compared to the school part, which seems really lengthy. Assuming tutoring and most of the other academy stuff isn't available after the time skip, I wonder what they'll replace it with?  I just hope the parts are pretty close in length, as I would be bummed if the school setting took, say, 30 hours to get through in an average first playthrough and the war part was done in half the time. Maybe there's larger maps in the second part or a bigger focus on sidequests, something to pad it out.

No child units!? Thank God. I'd be perfectly fine with S-supports since there's the timeskip, but I am so happy there is no Gen 2. Give that a break (save it for the Genealogy remake please). Yes to being able to recruit people from other houses if you meet their conditions!! The new menus look great and I must say, this game looks very fun! I'm getting even more hyped now!

A sigh and a no to gender-locked classes, though. I wish that was not a thing anymore.

Edited by PrincessAlyson

I'll have a hot take and say tutoring and stuff will take place in a base; maybe each Lord's castle; between War Phase chapters. I doubt there will be explorable maps for those 3 as well but I can dream. I can imagine tutoring still happening post timeskip but not exploration if anything.

At least now I can choose a waifu without worrying about children getting attach to the romance!🙏

Recruiting other house members by fulfilling the requirements is awesome!

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

23 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Something that I'm a bit worried about just based on how it's been discussed is how long the second part of the game will be compared to the school part, which seems really lengthy.

They did mention that it's a full year of teaching, which with one Field Study each month would mean there's 12 story chapters in the school section. For comparison, Awakening and each route of Fates had 26 main chapters. so it'd be half the game by that standard.

12 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I'll have a hot take and say tutoring and stuff will take place in a base; maybe each Lord's castle; between War Phase chapters. I doubt there will be explorable maps for those 3 as well but I can dream. I can imagine tutoring still happening post timeskip but not exploration if anything.

It could also be that the first chapter/battle of the war act is conquering the neutral area in which the monastery sits, thus making it available again as a hub (with all the activities, teaching included, otherwise how do you raise weapon ranks?). Maybe I'm getting repetitive, but I don't see them throwing away all of that academy stuff for half the game (or even a third of it).

Would also make sense, if a war breaks out the neutral area in the center of the map has tactical importance, that and the Church is there (and the Church is for sure heavily involved).

@VincentASM I just noticed in the shot of Ingrid fighting the beast there's a pair of fences with Icons hovering over them that seem to imply you can break them. breakable terrain makes a return?

7 hours ago, Mapina said:

Child units finally confirmed NOT to be in the game.

Now this.......does put a smile on my face.

6 hours ago, Pen said:

This battle prep menu is slick. Most of the options seem standard fare. "Marketplace" is probably like how some games allow you to shop in the prep screen, though whether the shop is worth using or not *coughSScough* shall be seen in time.

2019-06-12.jpg

God, i love this battle prep UI. The ones in previous games were just generic boxes with text. Glad they're finally doing something cool and i hope it stays.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

That still doesn't make S-supports unlikely, though. *shudder*

Even if it happens, i have a gut feeling they're going for quality over quantity. It's doing a similar thing that Echoes did where not every Support rank can be achieved in one go. Some don't unlock until you've reached certain chapters. That's one of the things that made Echoes' Supports so good, the other thing being that not everyone could support with everyone (even though sometimes it didn't make sense, Genny totally should've been able to support Boey and Mae, and Faye should've totally been able to support the Ram Villagers).

Very good chance S-Supports don't unlock until after the timeskip.

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

Something that I'm a bit worried about just based on how it's been discussed is how long the second part of the game will be compared to the school part, which seems really lengthy. Assuming tutoring and most of the other academy stuff isn't available after the time skip, I wonder what they'll replace it with?  I just hope the parts are pretty close in length, as I would be bummed if the school setting took, say, 30 hours to get through in an average first playthrough and the war part was done in half the time. Maybe there's larger maps in the second part or a bigger focus on sidequests, something to pad it out.

Wondering if the school part of the game is just a single year. 12 months, 12 chapters. Then the war part of the game carries over at least the calendar system of the school part for another 12 months. 24 chapters in total, which about standard length for Fire Emblem. That's just a guess but a plausible one. Either way, this is probably the most content filled FE in the series.

Recruiting other house units is interesting. I dunno if it's something I'll do it really since I'd prefer to leave everyone with their house to see how the story would unfold that way (at least for a first run of each house) but it will definitely something I will do on subsequent runs.

Something I noticed is that when they were going through the character menu at the diner, the non BE cast were actually in beginner classes which I'm assuming means that the longer you wait to recruit, the less freedom you will have with customising them.