Treehouse Live Day 2 Info (starting soon)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon closer inspection of Edelgard's Bone Axe, the Crest Stone is not the Crest of Seiros. (Compared to Dimitri and Claude who have the Crests of Blaiddyd and Reigan respectively). Instead it is a new Crest.

XJNRqO5.png

Interesting as this Crest is one of the weathered Crests on the mural. 

And @VincentASM In your Analysis - Part 2, at the end you say "Just before we finally reach the Reaper Knight, he’s ordered by the Flame Emperor to retreat. Apparently he’ll leave the map once 25 turns have passed. That said, going by Divine Pulse, it’s only the 13th turn or so. Did they miscount or make another mistake? We don’t get to find out, as the coverage comes to an end." 

In the Treehouse video they say "Not only do you need to either take down the Death Knight, which is difficult, or take down all other enemies..." The last enemy besides Death Knight killed themselves into Ashe, which triggered one of the Win conditions.

Edited by Lord_Grima

6 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I noticed that as well; I could totally see him being absent for whatever plot related reason they have. The only thing is I doubt he'll not be seen between this map and post timeskip; as it looks like this map is not the final one of the Pre-Timeskip arc. This may be after Dimitri loses his eye but before the timeskip; and they simply didn't deploy him to avoid spoiling when and where he loses it.

Now that I watched the map scene a few more times, I do certainly agree on the speculation that the battle shown will most likely not be the last before the timeskip. 

However, I'm still wondering if the story segment shown occurred in the aftermath of Dimitri losing his eye, or is actually just furtherly deepening the tension--a prelude of the fate that's about to cross him. The latter seems more likely in my opinion, since I'd find it odd the House's main unit would be excluded from the battle that easily when in comparison previous entries locked protagonists' into participating in key battles, such as this one.

I can totally see both being possible, but I just lean into Dimitri being unavailable to deploy for plot-related reasons. Just a gut feeling of mine. :')

9 hours ago, Azz said:

The lack of GD gameplay is disturbing. They just really don't want me to see Marianne huh. IDK if we'll be getting anymore 3H content at E3 since tomorrow is Nindies only it seems and I dunno what their planning for Friday but I'm doubtful. We'll probably be sticking to famitsu (which should be coming out next Wednesday~Thursday as per usual if it follows the pattern (with a preview on Tuesday)), Twitter and we'll probably get a final trailer by the end of the month/a bit before it drops.

There was a quick clip of Marianne healing from the JP site. It's not much but I think it's the only gameplay we have of her at this point. 

40 minutes ago, Torii said:

There was a quick clip of Marianne healing from the JP site. It's not much but I think it's the only gameplay we have of her at this point. 

We'll get either her or Leonie's bio tomorrow. I'm going to guess Leonie though; Marianne has (barely) not even been seen in any cutscenes. 

And I don't know how to ask this without sounding like a creep, but does Marianne's chest seem very big in that clip? Or is that just the robes/class that decides that like in Fates? 

6 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

Upon closer inspection of Edelgard's Bone Axe, the Crest Stone is not the Crest of Seiros. (Compared to Dimitri and Claude who have the Crests of Blaiddyd and Reigan respectively). Instead it is a new Crest.

XJNRqO5.png

Interesting as this Crest is one of the weathered Crests on the mural. 

My theory is that the Crest inside the axe is the Crest of Hraesvelgr; since that is Edelgard's surname. My guess is that the reason the Adrestrian bloodline is so special is because it has a cross between 2 crests, both Seiros and Hraesvelgr. I guess if that's the case why did they reveal Edel had the Crest of Seiros rather than the Crest of Hraesvelgr(as that would make more sense), story reasons? Idk. It would be cool though. There is some sort of secret as to why Edelgard can wield both Seiros crest weapon and the bone axe.

Don't know if this was brought up but its fully confirmed the Avatar isn't customizable appearance wise which made sense initially:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fire-emblem-three-houses-avatar-byleth-customization

I'll just put the important stuff here:

"Although you can choose Byleth's gender and, of course, assign character skill sets, the actual avatar is not customizable in terms of look."

So yeah stat/skill customization is confirmed which shouldn't be a shock so you can do most except appearance.

Something interesting to point out. 

The enemies in the merchant Paralogue aren't bandits but evil Leicester Alliance soldiers. They are described as being ''alliance soldiers'' and they wear yellow which is the traditional Alliance color. Threehouse skipped most of the dialogue but I did briefly see Ignaz say only merchants traveling between two specific dukedoms were being targeted. 

So I'm guessing Alliance duke A turns out to have a grudge against Alliance duke B and sends his forces to crush his business ventures. Its a nice indication that the countries are corrupt and indeed a place where ''the strong crush the weak'' as Dimitri puts it. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

14 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Don't know if this was brought up but its fully confirmed the Avatar isn't customizable appearance wise which made sense initially:

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/fire-emblem-three-houses-avatar-byleth-customization

I'll just put the important stuff here:

"Although you can choose Byleth's gender and, of course, assign character skill sets, the actual avatar is not customizable in terms of look."

So yeah stat/skill customization is confirmed which shouldn't be a shock so you can do most except appearance.

Does that mean boons and banes for specific professor levels will be a thing?

23 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Does that mean boons and banes for specific professor levels will be a thing?

Honestly, Flaws and Assets seem like something of a trap for Byleth, much like they were for Corrin. With a unique, powerful sword, investing in magic seems like an awful waste for example.

7 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

So, something I just noticed.

The Death Knight's scythe is apparently classified as a lance, rather than an axe like Heroes has done so far. Huh...

That actually can make sense. War scythes were an actual polearm used as a weapon in the Middle Ages. However, they did not look like grim reaper scythes; they looked more like this:

Spoiler

Image result for war scytheImage result for war scytheImage result for war scythe

9 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That actually can make sense. War scythes were an actual polearm used as a weapon in the Middle Ages. However, they did not look like grim reaper scythes; they looked more like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for war scytheImage result for war scytheImage result for war scythe

Looks like a naginata with an inverted blade, they also lack the curve that a sickle has, still appears to be farming equipment though.

An axe is also a polearm of a sort, so the classification seems arbitrary.

31 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Looks like a naginata with an inverted blade, they also lack the curve that a sickle has, still appears to be farming equipment though.

An axe is also a polearm of a sort, so the classification seems arbitrary.

It basically is a scythe with the blade rotated 90 degrees. Plus, naginatas were considered lances in Fates; why shouldn't a war scythe?

A scythe is in fact closer to a spear than it is to an axe (especially because we don't really have the long axes in FE, they're mostly one-handed even though they're exceptionally big). The thing is, they need to animate it differently, because thrusting is not the most effective way to use it (unless we're slashing with lances, which - knowing FE - could also be a thing).

That's a bit of a fear I have with all classes using everything, especially the mounted ones, there's a lot of room for awkward animation. We've seen cavalier!Sylvain with an axe and while it wasn't bad it definitely looked a bit clunky, towards the end of combat it looks like it's a spear animation but with an axe in hand.

Not surprised that the avatar won't be customizable appearance wise. Not upset either, they look pretty cool. I hope you can do some stuff with armor, maybe your upgrade will be dependent on the house you chose like in Fates. I wish they just made the avatar a character and not an avatar, I'm kind of tired of that. I would've been fine if they choose the male or the female, they both look great.

36 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

Not surprised that the avatar won't be customizable appearance wise. Not upset either, they look pretty cool. I hope you can do some stuff with armor, maybe your upgrade will be dependent on the house you chose like in Fates. I wish they just made the avatar a character and not an avatar, I'm kind of tired of that. I would've been fine if they choose the male or the female, they both look great.

Honestly, Byleth is already kind of a character in his own right. The fact that there's no appearance or even name customization available already prevents Byleth from being considered an avatar in my opinion.

And if I'm being even more honest, that tidbit of info absolutely knocked a few points of hype off my score for this game. In particular because Byleth is just Marth with a huge chain sword and turquoise hair.

It also makes me wonder if this is the same treatment they'll be giving Mark when/if they remake FE7.

I mean, one of the things I liked about Fateswakening was how I could make the "Avatar" mine (that said, the inability to modify eye colors as well actually docked points off the score for me).

Either way, I'm still getting this game - my attention is enraptured by FE3H and I haven't been able to get hype for anything else so far.

Edited by Renvalt

9 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Can we choose Byleth’s name?

In famitsu Byleth's names is listed as "default name" and the save files list your name on the profile like recent Avatars so yeah you can name your Avatar!

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

2 hours ago, Renvalt said:

Honestly, Byleth is already kind of a character in his own right. The fact that there's no appearance or even name customization available already prevents Byleth from being considered an avatar in my opinion.

And if I'm being even more honest, that tidbit of info absolutely knocked a few points of hype off my score for this game. In particular because Byleth is just Marth with a huge chain sword and turquoise hair.

It also makes me wonder if this is the same treatment they'll be giving Mark when/if they remake FE7.

I mean, one of the things I liked about Fateswakening was how I could make the "Avatar" mine (that said, the inability to modify eye colors as well actually docked points off the score for me).

Either way, I'm still getting this game - my attention is enraptured by FE3H and I haven't been able to get hype for anything else so far.

Whats so good about appearance customisation anyway? Robin/Corrin were completely same person (and unfortunately not interesting one) regardless of which hair color they got. 

While we can't say for sure if Byleth have anything resembling persolity just yet, absence of customization imply they are not supposed be self-insert at least. 

As for Mark he is bit different as he is not protagonist by any measure. If we get remake I think best would be just keep him completely ambiguous (and unplayable) as he was in FE7, so he does not steal attention from others. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Just now, Tenzen12 said:

Whats so good about appearance customisation anyway? Robin/Corrin were completely same person (and unfortunately not interesting one) regardless of which hair color they got. 

While we can't say for sure if Byleth have anything resembling persolity just yet, absence of customization imply they are not supposed be self-insert at least. 

People like to make their avatar look like themself, or they just like to be able to design their main character.

Absence of appearance customization doesn't preclude a character from being a self-insert. Zelda's Link is meant as a self-insert and name is the only customization they've ever gotten. Byleth actually seems like more of a self-insert to me because of being mostly silent despite the lack of appearance customization.

2 hours ago, Renvalt said:

I actually felt the other way. they were only superficially you, but they clearly were tehir own charatcers. If so many peopel complains about Robin burning ships in awakening, it's because we have a character doing something that we, the player, probably wouldn't have done directly ourselves. It felt like nothing more than a ruse, tbh.

And I don't just say that because we didn't had any facial hair option...

4 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

They seems more like the typical DQ Heroes (most of what we know about them so far, is that they aren't big talkers. So, ironically enough, they may be even more self inserts than the other Avatars. (The fact we are a teacher adds to this idea.)

56 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

As for Mark he is bit different as he is not protagonist by any measure. If we get remake I think best would be just keep him completely ambiguous (and unplayable) as he was in FE7, so he does not steal attention from others. 

First off, I like to personalize my own characters just simply for the sake of it. Yeah, I realize that the character is still going to say and do things I wouldn't (though the fact that Byleth has unspoken dialogue choice sections makes the actual LACK of customization bizarre as hell), but I still enjoy games where there's character customization. Though of course, the game also has to have an art style I like looking at (which is one of the reasons I'll never touch MonHun or a Souls game or any other Triple A title, no matter what character customization it has).

The whole reason I figured Byleth's appearance WOULD be customizable is because in some of the preview vids we've seen, they had clear and obvious unspoken dialogue options a la Persona 5 (and to this day, I still can't friggin' understand why they've made the last three Persona protags the silent variety, when it's fucking clear they're going to actually give them spoken incarnations anyways).

The thing about Mark is, you had some degree of customization over a set of traits, but it didn't really matter a damn lick in the end. It's one of those things where I'm all "what was the point of even having in the fucking game, then?" - and no, having a hot waifu break the 4th wall to tell me how much she admires and appreciates me isn't a good excuse for not expanding on such a mechanic. Either do it right or not at all.

1 hour ago, Tamanoir said:

I actually felt the other way. they were only superficially you, but they clearly were tehir own charatcers. If so many peopel complains about Robin burning ships in awakening, it's because we have a character doing something that we, the player, probably wouldn't have done directly ourselves. It felt like nothing more than a ruse, tbh.

And I don't just say that because we didn't had any facial hair option...

They seems more like the typical DQ Heroes (most of what we know about them so far, is that they aren't big talkers. So, ironically enough, they may be even more self inserts than the other Avatars. (The fact we are a teacher adds to this idea.)

Robin burning those ships actually made sense though, considering that such a tactic was actually employed in real world history (the British pulled this stunt against the Spanish Armada back during the 1500s).

I'm one of those people who actually hates facial hair, so I wouldn't have minded one way or the other if it existed as an option or not. I DID mind that I was locked into brown eyes, even if I had an intention to use red (or to use blue eyes for my MU in Fates).

The problem with calling Byleth a self-insert is that, to be a self-insert, they have to be silent enough and devoid enough of real personality to warrant inserting your OWN personality into the character. Byleth (and other FE "avatars") does in fact appear to act in ways I wouldn't, and I'm not the only whose had this mindset, as you clearly demonstrate (for one, I would NEVER use that many "teaching" puns/wordplays, no matter how much of a scholastic overlord I was). Having a commonly found personality does not a self-insert make, no matter how much you think it might.