Anyone else here have social anxiety?

Guest Odifududix

Guest Odifududix

I am 20 years old and throughout my life I never had much friends aside from several acquaintances I've met through school or work. I was never outgoing even as a child and most of my free time was spent alone doing individual things (i.e. reading, watching anime/films, etc). I was able to get along with youths my age but that was only because I shared several classes with them and it is almost impossible to avoid interactions.

I've started college a couple years back and have not made any genuine friends; the fact that I commute to a state school makes it even harder for me to do so. A close friend of mine committed suicide recently and it makes me more conscious about being with other people. 

To those of you who had social anxiety/depression but managed to make friends, how did you do it? What challenges did you have to overcome?

Well.  Do you WANT to?  And if you do, what's holding you back?  "Anxiety" is one thing, but what specifically are you anxious about?

If you can't find the answer to these questions, talking to a therapist might help.  The first step to solving a problem is to admit there's a problem.  The second is to give that problem a name and a scope.  "I'm scared of going outside" is a lot harder to tackle than "I have an unreasonable fear of spiders, to the point where going outside triggers it".

It's fine if you made this thread so other people who feel like you share their experiences and vent, but I really recommend you to search for a psychologist in case these feelings are taking a toll in your everyday life routine. Search a professional, not opinions from the internet.

I absolutely do. I go to therapy and also to a psychiatrist because of it, but I don't really think I can tell you what to do. I'm absolutely terrified of strangers and acquaitances and will go as far as possible to avoid any iteraction with people I'm not used to. After graduating from university, I almost turned into a recluse who'd only leave home to go to the gym, but I'm thankfully much better now, but I still find it extremely hard to talk to people in a non-professional setting.

The best way I can describe how I feel is as if every interaction I had with someone I'm not used to was like meeting an wild animal. It probably won't do anything to me, but I fear that any wrong step and it could attack me.

Edited by Nobody

Cabot to speak to social anxiety .

but to anxiety in general, mastery takes years and it’s an ongoing  fight. 

I just try to remind myself that Inam the master of anxiety, it is not the master of me.

Never give up and when in doubt take deep breaths. 

Beyond what you can do in your own, professionals are a help but at the end of the day you have to take the plunge. Your therapist can’t do it for you.

You just need to remind yourself that you have agency.