Jump to content
Zihark11

Fire Emblem three houses recruiting all students?

Recommended Posts

If there are 16 seats in the classroom; it would make sense that 4 units from each other clsss are recruitable while 4 stay loyal. It does sound like a bit much to recruit another 8 between the other 2 houses but analysing the students of each house it does seem like 4 is a nice number of how many students can swap classes.

From the Black Eagles I can imagine Edelgard; Hubert; and 2 from Petra; Ferdinand and Bernadetta staying loyal, Ferdinand and Bernadetta since they're both from high up Adrestian families, and Petra since she is in Edelgard's house for a reason with the whole loyalty thing.

Blue Lions Dimitri; Dedue; Felix and either Ashe or Ingrid to stay, most likely Ashe due to his supposed story relevance to Lonato.

Golden Deer I see Claude; Hilda; and due to Ignatz; Raph and Lorenz being confirmed to be able to swap, I see Lysithea and Marianne staying loyal as Leonie doesn't have much reason to as she is a commoner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

From the Black Eagles I can imagine Edelgard; Hubert; and 2 from Petra; Ferdinand and Bernadetta staying loyal, Ferdinand and Bernadetta since they're both from high up Adrestian families, and Petra since she is in Edelgard's house for a reason with the whole loyalty thing.

Definitely Ferdinand instead of Bernadetta. Wasn't he the prime ministers son? That seems pretty important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Onestep said:

I hear this argument trotted out about a lot of things, and I still don't think it's a good one. It's like saying FE8 isn't easy if you don't skirmish, don't use Seth and don't use class skills. A game shouldn't rely on the player arbitrarily limiting themselves to maintain difficulty/enjoyment. 

But in this case, it's even more annoying. The recruitment of other students unlocks paralogues, extra characters, items and presumably allows said characters to join you in the timeskip (otherwise investing time and attention in them in the school segment would be a huge waste). Not recruiting them is deliberately cutting yourself off from content that, really, should have been included in another way. If I don't use it and 'pretend it doesn't exist', I'll be missing out on numerous paralogues (no idea how many, but probably at least six if not more).

I don't agree with that, it's not limiting you, the options open as long as you decide to play in a certain way. If you're choosing the Eagles you will no matter what miss out in the content of the other 2 paths, in the same way if you don't recruit some characters you will miss out on the units themselves and on aspects to them related. So you can choose to be a completionist and spend a lot of time in getting everyone (which doesn't sound possible in hard difficulty, seen as there's no infinite grind) or just have multiple runs to see the game all around.

It's surely not the first time this happens in the history of FE, we've always had characters that joined only if you met certain requirements. The only difference here is that you can tell what you need to get someone, as opposed to past instances where a character would be an enemy or an ally based on some decision you made in a battle chapters earlier.

Unless they pull a Revelations it's not possible to get all the content in one go, and even if they do you'd still miss out on 3 paths.

Edited by timon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, timon said:

I don't agree with that, it's not limiting you, the options open as long as you decide to play in a certain way. If you're choosing the Eagles you will no matter what miss out in the content of the other 2 paths, in the same way if you don't recruit some characters you will miss out on the units themselves and on aspects to them related. So you can choose to be a completionist and spend a lot of time in getting everyone (which doesn't sound possible in hard difficulty, seen as there's no infinite grind) or just have multiple runs to see the game all around.

It's surely not the first time this happens in the history of FE, we've always had characters that joined only if you met certain requirements. The only difference here is that you can tell what you need to get someone, as opposed to past instances where a character would be an enemy or an ally based on some decision you made in a battle chapters earlier.

Unless they pull a Revelations it's not possible to get all the content in one go, and even if they do you'd still miss out on 3 paths.

You misunderstand. In this case, I want limitations. I would just prefer that MORE content was path-locked, as opposed to being encouraged by the game to blur paths via recruitment. 

Some of the paralogues seem to, in terms of story, show-off the fact that you got them by recruiting a character from a different House, which is good. I do like that. But I'd still have preferred more locked content. It is what it is though, and depending on the limitations, it could work out.

Edited by Onestep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing that really makes me upset about this feature is that because say Lorenz can either be with the golden deer, or with one of the other two houses, it is less likely for him to be a relevant character to the story. Because I doubt that IS is going to make new stories and maps just for when a character is on your team, or if they aren't. If for example, Sylvain would have a compelling character arc when you fight him in other path, because of the fact that he might not be on Dimitri's side means they wont always be able to do that story line, which means they probably wont bother with making many of the students relevant in the first place because they could be on either side of the conflict.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

If there are 16 seats in the classroom; it would make sense that 4 units from each other clsss are recruitable while 4 stay loyal. It does sound like a bit much to recruit another 8 between the other 2 houses but analysing the students of each house it does seem like 4 is a nice number of how many students can swap classes.

From the Black Eagles I can imagine Edelgard; Hubert; and 2 from Petra; Ferdinand and Bernadetta staying loyal, Ferdinand and Bernadetta since they're both from high up Adrestian families, and Petra since she is in Edelgard's house for a reason with the whole loyalty thing.

Blue Lions Dimitri; Dedue; Felix and either Ashe or Ingrid to stay, most likely Ashe due to his supposed story relevance to Lonato.

Golden Deer I see Claude; Hilda; and due to Ignatz; Raph and Lorenz being confirmed to be able to swap, I see Lysithea and Marianne staying loyal as Leonie doesn't have much reason to as she is a commoner.

This makes a lot of sense, but I am a little torn on the idea of restricting which characters you can recruit aside from the Big Three. From a story perspective it sounds great if there are characters who have such high loyalty that you can't recruit them away from their house, but from a gameplay perspective it is a hindrance for customizing your army. LIke hypothetically if I want a second or third pegasus knight, but the characters with high aptitudes for those skills are locked away from recruitment. I don't think it would be a game breaker, but maybe a little frustrating.

I do completely agree that we can probably recruit 8 characters, especially if the characters they've showed us are all (or almost all) of the units in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I heard there would be a big war where you have to kill your past students, the very first thing I thought was "is there any possible way to to save everyone or mitigate the deaths in the war at all?" but from this discussion it does not seem possible. Do you really think they will make it so you *must* kill everyone you don't recruit while severely limiting who you can recruit? and if so, do you think they will add DLC of some kind that somehow lets you save all of them like Revelations? Maybe a DLC path to let you pick Garreg Mach's side or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

Probably because the fact that you can recruit more character means that if you choose not to recruit them, you might have a weaker team with less characters which might make the game harder. People who don't like the mechanic but also don't want to miss out on characters will be forced to use the mechanic in fear of having a weaker team. I myself am not a fan of the mechanic, but luckily I am also up for a challenge with less units, but not everyone feels the same as I do. There is also the argument that less characters=more exp per character and therefore stronger team, but we will have to see how the maps are designed before that gets truly settled.

I don't really understand the fear, I doubt you'd have a harder game just because you use a feature like that. Because I doubt the deployment numbers would change. If you can always only deploy 8, even if you recruit 2-4 other members you'd essentially probably have to replace your own team members. Anyways, I feel like any FE game is the same. There's optional recruitment, and characters you may or may not want. It's been a staple of the series this entire time, this mechanic is the same. If you don't wanna recruit Gaius in Awakening, you don't have too. But if you like his character you can.

3 hours ago, Onestep said:

I hear this argument trotted out about a lot of things, and I still don't think it's a good one. It's like saying FE8 isn't easy if you don't skirmish, don't use Seth and don't use class skills. A game shouldn't rely on the player arbitrarily limiting themselves to maintain difficulty/enjoyment. 

But in this case, it's even more annoying. The recruitment of other students unlocks paralogues, extra characters, items and presumably allows said characters to join you in the timeskip (otherwise investing time and attention in them in the school segment would be a huge waste). Not recruiting them is deliberately cutting yourself off from content that, really, should have been included in another way. If I don't use it and 'pretend it doesn't exist', I'll be missing out on numerous paralogues (no idea how many, but probably at least six if not more).

It's not really an argument, it's just a fact. All games rely on a player deciding what they do and do not want to do with optional features. It's more the mandatory features of a game that can make or break something. Like Mega's in Pokemon. I hated the feature, I decided not to use it, but when they required me to MegaEvolve I was annoyed, because I don't want to be forced into things. Luckily it was just once (or twice I think), and so overall, I arbitrarily limited myself and loved it. And it made it more difficult. Sometimes I only catch 2-3 Pokemon for my entire run. No game is going to please everyone, so having optional features gives a lot of people more control.

If you wanna micromanage your students you can. If you want to auto-tutor them, you also can. If you want *some* other students from other houses or a favorite, you can work to recruit them. If you just want your house you can keep them. 

The other prologues are available in other routes, you're not missing anything?? And some aren't dependent on recruiting like the Dorothea/Ingrid one. So I don't understand the issue. You're not cutting yourself off from content at all. The content is in each individual route. Golden Deer has that paralogue, so when you play it, you'll always get it. But it just so happens she recruited those two to her Blue Lions team and so that paralogue unlocked for that route as well. It's just a way to get some favorites to your team. Nothing more, nothing less (as of what we know right now!)

I know this can all change, but from what we know, nothing you said is true (to my knowledge-please correct if I'm wrong!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

I don't really understand the fear, I doubt you'd have a harder game just because you use a feature like that. Because I doubt the deployment numbers would change. If you can always only deploy 8, even if you recruit 2-4 other members you'd essentially probably have to replace your own team members.

We saw the Black Eagles in ch8 rolling up with 11 characters, Byleth + 8 Black Eagles plus Ignace and Raphael. I don't think they will be limiting deployment slots at all. I do get the fact that it is optional, but in the case of Gaius, this is clearly something you are advised to do. The game wants you to recruit Gaius because there is no pay off if you don't recruit him and he is the only natural thief in the game. IS doesn't add characters just to be ignored. I'm just scared that it will function the same way in Three houses, where the game expects you to be recruiting these character. If it doesn't and it really is a more obscure optional thing then i'll eat my words and be happier for it. But from the way it was presented I'm not sure if that will end up being the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Onestep said:

But in this case, it's even more annoying. The recruitment of other students unlocks paralogues, extra characters, items and presumably allows said characters to join you in the timeskip (otherwise investing time and attention in them in the school segment would be a huge waste). Not recruiting them is deliberately cutting yourself off from content that, really, should have been included in another way. If I don't use it and 'pretend it doesn't exist', I'll be missing out on numerous paralogues (no idea how many, but probably at least six if not more).

But this has always been true about Fire Emblem, especially in Awakening and Fates. If you don't get a character married, then you miss out on recruiting their child and the paralogue which could be used to level units whether or not you decide to use the child. This isn't something Fire Emblem hasn't done before, it's just the first time in a while that it's mainly being done with main characters instead of child characters which I know not as many people care about. 

This does remind me a lot of Radiant Dawn though. You can recruit people into Ike's army that fought with him in Path of Radiance, thus weakening the other armies when you control them or have to fight against them again. It's mainly a balancing act, which can appeal to people or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SpiceMan said:

We saw the Black Eagles in ch8 rolling up with 11 characters, Byleth + 8 Black Eagles plus Ignace and Raphael. I don't think they will be limiting deployment slots at all. I do get the fact that it is optional, but in the case of Gaius, this is clearly something you are advised to do. The game wants you to recruit Gaius because there is no pay off if you don't recruit him and he is the only natural thief in the game. IS doesn't add characters just to be ignored. I'm just scared that it will function the same way in Three houses, where the game expects you to be recruiting these character. If it doesn't and it really is a more obscure optional thing then i'll eat my words and be happier for it. But from the way it was presented I'm not sure if that will end up being the case.

True! I guess I also know we have teachers/other characters that haven't been revealed so I'm unsure how important the feature will be! I don't think it will be obscure, but I also don't know if it's going to have a huge impact, or is something that is 'required'. From what we've learned it really just feels like a feature added because you like ALL the Golden Deer house except one and really love two from another team and it's allowing those people to get them.But we don't know enough yet, that's true!

With Gaius it's advised, but there's no pay off either way, imo. With second seals A LOT of characters can be thieves, so to me he functions like the kid characters. Totally optional and the game isn't any harder with or without them. He's not a female, so the kids aren't tied to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

I don't really understand the fear, I doubt you'd have a harder game just because you use a feature like that. Because I doubt the deployment numbers would change. If you can always only deploy 8, even if you recruit 2-4 other members you'd essentially probably have to replace your own team members. Anyways, I feel like any FE game is the same. There's optional recruitment, and characters you may or may not want. It's been a staple of the series this entire time, this mechanic is the same. If you don't wanna recruit Gaius in Awakening, you don't have too. But if you like his character you can.

It's not really an argument, it's just a fact. All games rely on a player deciding what they do and do not want to do with optional features. It's more the mandatory features of a game that can make or break something. Like Mega's in Pokemon. I hated the feature, I decided not to use it, but when they required me to MegaEvolve I was annoyed, because I don't want to be forced into things. Luckily it was just once (or twice I think), and so overall, I arbitrarily limited myself and loved it. And it made it more difficult. Sometimes I only catch 2-3 Pokemon for my entire run. No game is going to please everyone, so having optional features gives a lot of people more control.

If you wanna micromanage your students you can. If you want to auto-tutor them, you also can. If you want *some* other students from other houses or a favorite, you can work to recruit them. If you just want your house you can keep them. 

The other prologues are available in other routes, you're not missing anything?? And some aren't dependent on recruiting like the Dorothea/Ingrid one. So I don't understand the issue. You're not cutting yourself off from content at all. The content is in each individual route. Golden Deer has that paralogue, so when you play it, you'll always get it. But it just so happens she recruited those two to her Blue Lions team and so that paralogue unlocked for that route as well. It's just a way to get some favorites to your team. Nothing more, nothing less (as of what we know right now!)

I know this can all change, but from what we know, nothing you said is true (to my knowledge-please correct if I'm wrong!). 

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I recognise all this. I just don't like it. The routes should have been kept more separate, in my opinion. They weren't, and I'm probably going to recruit students from other houses, but I would have preferred for the option to not be there. Maybe my opinion will change as the game gets closer, or once I'm playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

The thing that really makes me upset about this feature is that because say Lorenz can either be with the golden deer, or with one of the other two houses, it is less likely for him to be a relevant character to the story. Because I doubt that IS is going to make new stories and maps just for when a character is on your team, or if they aren't. If for example, Sylvain would have a compelling character arc when you fight him in other path, because of the fact that he might not be on Dimitri's side means they wont always be able to do that story line, which means they probably wont bother with making many of the students relevant in the first place because they could be on either side of the conflict.

My thoughts exactly. Fire Emblem games have a tendency to focus on only a handful of characters, largely because permadeath makes it impossible to know who's going to be alive and who isn't. But if the characters were on the enemy side, then they would have to be alive, and therefore could be given more plot relevance. With house-hopping available, that of course becomes more difficult to account for.

My hope is that after graduation, everyone goes back to their nation. Cue 5 year time-skip, other house students you previously recruited start as enemies (I think someone maybe mentioned this possibility earlier), and they can have their plot relevance/screentime. Because you recruited and taught them before the time-skip, they are now recruitable in the war phase. It's a little wonky, but I think that's our best bet for having side characters that matter to the main story considering we have this recruitment mechanic.

At least the paralogues look to have some interesting character depth included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to take a guess and say that the recruitable students will be ones with less of a story role in a non-chosen house. In a way, sort of like how Faye and Kliff could be recruited to Celica's side in Echoes, though I imagine it'll be better handled here. One potential example is that I can see Bernadetta not having a big story role in a route that doesn't focus on the Black Eagles so she could be recruitable.

I imagine at the least, the house leaders will be un-recruitable. Their direct retainers like Hubert and Dedue probably as well. I'm guessing Hilda will fill that role for Claude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pen said:

My hope is that after graduation, everyone goes back to their nation. Cue 5 year time-skip, other house students you previously recruited start as enemies (I think someone maybe mentioned this possibility earlier), and they can have their plot relevance/screentime. Because you recruited and taught them before the time-skip, they are now recruitable in the war phase. It's a little wonky, but I think that's our best bet for having side characters that matter to the main story considering we have this recruitment mechanic.

At least the paralogues look to have some interesting character depth included.

That's what I'm thinking, you recruit them, you play with them in the academy phase, and then that enables a "typical" FE recruitment in a later chapter, I don't think that immediately after the timeskip everyone just goes "welp, love my ol' teach y'know? bye".

Then again there's a lot of students, so I'm not sure they're willing to program a recruitment scene in a specific chapter for every single one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

According to the video in Spanish, the non-transferable units from each house are:

Black Eagles:
Hubert

Blue Lions:
Felix
Dedue

Golden Deer:
Marianne

Just what I expected except Marianne. Don't really understand why she's exclusive.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

 

According to the video in Spanish, the non-transferable units from each house are:

Black Eagles:
Hubert

Blue Lions:
Felix
Dedue

Golden Deer:
Marianne

Just what I expected except Marianne. Don't really understand why she's exclusive.

Do we know if that's all the non-transferable characters, or could there be a few others (like Ferdinand, Ingrid, or Hilda)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BastienSoul said:

Do we know if that's all the non-transferable characters, or could there be a few others (like Ferdinand, Ingrid, or Hilda)?

I don't think that's all. There should be at least 3 people are being non-transferable per faction. Otherwise, the Black Eagles and Golden Deer rosters are going to feel awkward. Ferdinand feels like a strong candidate, not true about the other members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

According to the video in Spanish, the non-transferable units from each house are:

Black Eagles:
Hubert

Blue Lions:
Felix
Dedue

Golden Deer:
Marianne

Just what I expected except Marianne. Don't really understand why she's exclusive.

Ok, I really like that Felix is locked because he is one of my favourites and this means he will probably be quite important(especially considering he has the only student major crest). I was kind of hoping Ingrid and Sylvain would be locked as well, to keep the group together, but I'm okay with this.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

According to the video in Spanish, the non-transferable units from each house are:

Black Eagles:
Hubert

Blue Lions:
Felix
Dedue

Golden Deer:
Marianne

Just what I expected except Marianne. Don't really understand why she's exclusive.

When did he say that? Watched the video and he dosnt confirm any units, but im not sure tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

 

According to the video in Spanish, the non-transferable units from each house are:

Black Eagles:
Hubert

Blue Lions:
Felix
Dedue

Golden Deer:
Marianne

Just what I expected except Marianne. Don't really understand why she's exclusive.

I didn't hear any mention to these characters being non-transferables, considering that I'm native from Spain and I understand everything. In which second did you hear that? 

BTW, I saw a new character: Tomas. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this. 

 

Screenshot_2019-06-20-18-03-58-914_com.google.android.youtube.png

Edited by KillianVermont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really hoping Hilda can be snagged from the Golden Deer, because she happens to be one of the few characters I like aesthetically outside of the Black Eagles. The fact that it appears to be Marianne to be route locked rather than her gives me a sigh of relief, just hoping Hilda isn’t another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I’m really hoping Hilda can be snagged from the Golden Deer, because she happens to be one of the few characters I like aesthetically outside of the Black Eagles. The fact that it appears to be Marianne to be route locked rather than her gives me a sigh of relief, just hoping Hilda isn’t another one.

Marianne isn't locked, at least to my knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...