Create your perfect avatar

In a perfect world, in which a Fire Emblem game had an avatar with literally endless customization, down to the story and role of the avatar, how would you make yours? Do NOT respond with "there would be no avatar." This is not the thread for that line of discussion.

• What game would they be a part of?
  • What would they look like?
  • What personality would they have?
  • What weapon type(s) would they use?
  • Would they have a personal weapon or weapons? If so, what kind(s)?
  • What class would they be? 
  • Would they have a custom class? If so, how would that class function?
  • Would they have any particularly strong stats or weak stats?
  • What gameplay role would they serve (ie: Jeigan, regular unit, trainee, etc.)?
  • What would their story be?
  • What would their job be in society (ie: mercenary, bard, apothecary, merchant, farmer)?
  • Would they have a canon love interest (whether a canon or non-canon character) and/or be friends with any particular characters?
  • Any other details not covered by the above?
Edited by Etheus

• Game- Not one that exists already. Inasmuch as it is possible, a hypothetical open-world-ish or simply very branching FE would work.
  • Appearance- I can't decide. I'd have to play with my customization tools for a half hour.
  • Personality- Again, I'm not sure. But ideally, I'd like the option to pick one of several distinct general personalities. With voiced lines to match the chosen personality.
  • Class- I wouldn't go with an exclusive class, barring a villager-like starting one. Just let them use whatever exists for everybody else. Freedom in principle to swap around your class, but you better not do that too much, since otherwise you'd have to a grind to be very proficient in a lot of classes.
  • Weapon Types- Dependent on which class I choose. 
  • Personal Weapons- Maybe one to start, and one to be a legendary of some sort. The personals should be able to be transformed into whatever weapon types the avatar is currently able to use. Yato only being a Sword was a little annoying if you made Corrin anything that couldn't use one. Let me shapeshift at least the legendary personal into a Shuriken or Tome if I'm in a class that has no Swords and but can use those.
  • Stats and Gameplay Role- Ideally these should ideally be customizable. I'd probably prefer a middle-of-the-road unit, very solid from beginning to end, but never godly at any point. Ideally, I'd like them to offer some unique form of supportive support for everyone else.
  • Story- They exist, they help, they're good at helping. The End. Let them be a real shadow and leave all of the limelight to other people. FE7's Mark if they could fight basically, barring a little more relevance to the story right at the very beginning when the player is getting acclimated to the world.
  • Job- Like Kris, I'd like a choice of past, present, and future. But I want those things to be fleshed out in the world, not one liners and what you hide stat customization behind.  
  • Love Interest- No to a canon pick. I don't want to be able to wed everyone either- let fixed couples and people who don't seek love exist. The game can offer a few options if they don't get in the way of the game's tone, but no kids, and be sure to include at least two good picks for lesbians and gay men separately.

Much, but not all, of this is influenced by the one non-FE avatar I really know- Cross from XCX. I can be a Full Metal Jaguar and swap to a Mastermind, but that will take a lot of effort to juggle due to needing a lot of CP to master both classes (although FMJ and Partisan Eagle will require less). They exist, but Elma is the star of the show in the main story (as little as it is) with Cross barely doing anything of importance other than helping with the fighting. I can pick like six different personalities per gender, with different VAs for the same lines in battle, which also include a couple combat quips specific to each personality.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• What game - Brand new game
  • Appearance - Customizable of course, but with more options: More height/weight/body build options, hair color, mild clothing, etc.
  • Personality - Standard everyman, avatars should be interjectable with your own personality
  • What weapon - YOU CHOSE! Sword or bow or lance or magic...just pick one
  • Personal weapon - Sure, unlock it near the end based on what you picked at the start
  • What class - dependent on weapon
  • Custom class - Nah
  • Stats - You chose the Asset and the Flaw, to use Heroes terminology
  • What gameplay role - Regular unit
  • Story - "Hi I'm your friend, protagonist, I'll help out"
  • Job - Unknown
  • Love interests and friendships - No love interests, maybe have a friendship bond with a couple characters
  • Anything else - No

Etheus Rook

• Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
    • I have my own story setting in mind, but for the sake of simplicity and interest, I'll retrofit my avatar into the setting I love most.
  • Appearance - A sleek, roguish half-Heron Branded with light silver hair tied back into a ponytail. Brown Eyes. Trimmed beard with no mustache. Wears a brown cloak with silver trim, with similarly colored gloves to hide the Brands on his hands.
  • Personality - Philosophical and idealistic. Prone to dry sarcasm that complicates his self-image as a diplomat. (Almost) hopelessly romantic, and fiercely loyal.
  • Class - Heretic - A former monk, turned wanderer with proficiency in Light Magic. Possesses high strength, magic, speed, luck, and resistance, with low hp and defense.
  • Skills - Wrath
  • Personal Weapon - Soul Brand - Glyphs etched into the wielder's very body. Unlimited use light magic with 1-2 range. Weapon possesses low MT, but when attacking at 1 range, channels light magic into fists to add wielder's strength to their magical damage and recover hp equivalent to half of wielder's Strength.
  • First seen in Prisoner Release. Can be seen arguing with Sephiran from within the same cell, but no dialogue can be heard. Slips away unnoticed when the cell is opened. Appears again at the end of Blood Runs Red, clearly suspicious of Sephiran. In a second playthrough, an optional Gaiden chapter can then be played to obtain more backstory and unlock additional characters. With or without the Gaiden chapters, Etheus makes his next appearance at Serenes Forest, where he is recruitable by any female character.
  • Gameplay role - late game pre-promote.
  • Supports - Tanith (canon), Lethe, Astrid, Bastian, Soren, Zihark

• Story - A former holy knight of Begnion who hid his Brand while attempting to reform society from within for the betterment of Laguz and Branded. Stripped of rank and dishonorably discharged after refusing a direct order to participate in the Serenes massacre. From then on, disavows his faith in Ashera and resolves to destroy Begnion. Sanaki restores a small measure of his faith in Path of Radiance, but this is only a start. In Radiant Dawn, he seeks to reform Begnion by targeting the corrupt senators in Radiant Dawn. When Sephiran's treachery is revealed, he becomes an Other unit, going on a berserk rampage until Sephiran is defeated, or he is spoken to by Tanith with an A support, which unlocks his canon (good) ending.
  • In the good ending, the two are married and he is reinstated as the first officially recognized Branded knight of the holy guard. 
  • In his default ending, he retires to the life of a wanderer, helping to bring peace between the Beorc and Laguz in what little ways he can. 
  • In his bad ending (achieved by passively allowing him to kill Sephiran), he advances without the party, attacks Ashera, and reduces her hp by half before falling in battle (this option can be intentionally taken to make the endgame easier on both levels).

Edited by Etheus

What game would they be a part of?
Awakening. Or a new game all together.

What would they look like?
As long as we get skin-colors I don't care. I want an avatar that isn't white. I'd say Claude is pretty close to what I'd imagine.

What personality would they have?
Something close to Robin or Jude (from Tales of Xillia), orrrrrr someone sarcastic and ruthless more like myself (or Velvet from Tales of Berseria).

What weapon type(s) would they use?
Always a magic swordsman, so magic (dark/anima/light) plus swords. I love the idea of a magic user truly versed on all magic.

Would they have a personal weapon or weapons? If so, what kind(s)?
A personal tome for sure. Preferably two. A Legendary Dark tome and a Legendary Light tome that only they could wield.

What class would they be? 
Grandmaster was my favorite class, sooo... that one.

Would they have a custom class? If so, how would that class function?
Nah.

Would they have any particularly strong stats or weak stats?
Strong in magic. Weak in defense. 

What gameplay role would they serve (ie: Jeigan, regular unit, trainee, etc.)?
Main tactician. Actually Robin's role suits me just great.

What would their story be?
Just something dealing with holding both dark and light within them. I like the idea of them being mixed race between two clashing races and being the unique one able to draw from both (aka: the light/dark magic)

What would their job be in society (ie: mercenary, bard, apothecary, merchant, farmer)?
Noble or mercenary. 

Would they have a canon love interest (whether a canon or non-canon character) and/or be friends with any particular characters?
No canon, just give me a gay option.

Edited by Kiran_

• What game would they be a part of? Any I guess or none at all...

• What would they look like? Customizable, but default character has shoulder length white-blond hair and red eyes.

• What personality would they have? Cynical yet trustworthy...  they will do whatever necessary, but will not betray the trust they've earned. Intelligent, tactical, level-headed and neutral towards others.

• What weapon type(s) would they use? Swords, Daggers, Magic

• Would they have a personal weapon or weapons? If so, what kind(s)? Ornate Dagger: Capable of a multitude of ranged magic attacks (Fire, Ice, Wind), each element provides a special debuff (Burn, Freeze, Slow) to the enemy. Ornate Dagger must recharge (3 turns per debuff) between uses.

• What class would they be? Grandmaster of sorts...

• Would they have a custom class? If so, how would that class function? Spellblade - Can cast magic while wielding swords and daggers, but have low defenses, prefer to stay ranged, but can attack in close combat.

• Would they have any particularly strong stats or weak stats? Strong - Magic/Luck, Weak - Defense/Speed

• What gameplay role would they serve (ie: Jeigan, regular unit, trainee, etc.)? Linde Archetype

• What would their story be? After their home is burned down in a so-called bandit attack, they are found by the lord of the game and given an ornate dagger to fight with. The avatar soon discovers their innate magic ability through said dagger. They request to travel with the lord to attempt to track down whoever burned down their home and discover a greater threat along the way.
  • What would their job be in society (ie: mercenary, bard, apothecary, merchant, farmer)? They were the librarian of the town, guarding ancient books and powerful artifacts.

• Would they have a canon love interest (whether a canon or non-canon character) and/or be friends with any particular characters? Canon love interest died in "bandit" attack on their home. A woman with short blond hair and red eyes, a childhood friend. Can date any other character regardless of gender.

• Any other details not covered by the above? The home of the avatar was... special. Unbeknownst to them, which led the lord there.
Edited by Bloom

XCXAvatarGBA.png.08e385ca74b6c0917c8bd60d00e7711a.png.0abd11c3cfcfa3db91d5eb78bdf65640.png

I suppose this is always a good place to start.

• Personality: A virtuous paragon devoted to an honor/moral code, he could be the knight of a kingdom, a paladin of a church, or a gentleman from a noble house. Probably really stubborn, but always well meaning.
  • Class: If it's not an original class then it's probably a Caviler, maybe a Wyvern Rider, just imagine him charging into battle heroically atop a mighty steed.
  • Role: From a gameplay perspective, he's most likely a regular unit that fills whatever role his class dictates. In a story I see him playing a role similar to that of most early game knights and cavaliers who joins the protagonist because he serves them or is a long time ally from a neighboring land, or he could be a Minerva type character who fights against the protagonist because of blackmail or a hostage that the antagonist uses to control him until he finds a way around it and joins the protagonist's army.

15 hours ago, Etheus said:

In a perfect world, in which a Fire Emblem game had an avatar with literally endless customization, down to the story and role of the avatar, how would you make yours? Do NOT respond with "there would be no avatar." This is not the thread for that line of discussion.

• What game would they be a part of?
  • What would they look like?
  • What personality would they have?
  • What weapon type(s) would they use?
  • Would they have a personal weapon or weapons? If so, what kind(s)?
  • What class would they be? 
  • Would they have a custom class? If so, how would that class function?
  • Would they have any particularly strong stats or weak stats?
  • What gameplay role would they serve (ie: Jeigan, regular unit, trainee, etc.)?
  • What would their story be?
  • What would their job be in society (ie: mercenary, bard, apothecary, merchant, farmer)?
  • Would they have a canon love interest (whether a canon or non-canon character) and/or be friends with any particular characters?
  • Any other details not covered by the above?

- Shadow Dragon, or to be more specific, the tales of Anri;

Anri-avtr.png

- serious, silent and calm;

- swords;

- a magic blade with Resire effect;

- either Hero or General;

- i would have to say Mercenary or Sword Armor as base class, but that wouldn't be custom anyway;

- high STR, low SPD;

- either regular or pre-promoted;

- a fallen knight that was once known to be one of the strongest swordmen from his kingdom. after being framed and betrayed by some corrupted members of his order of knights in a plot to take over the throne by force, he fled from his homeland and swore to come back one day to have his vengeance;

- a wandering mercenary taking jobs regarding criminals, and also a duelist in arenas and coliseums;

- yes, few knights loyal to the previous king never doubted his innocence, and still respect him. during his travels, he also took jobs about saving slaves and kidnapped people from foreign countries, gaining the trust of the ones he saved(wich would eventually lead to a canon love interest).

Basically, a CRPG style avatar, cystomizable in everything: custom appearence, several background to chose from, multiple choice dialogues everywhere and so on. 

My ideal avatar want have any pre-existing connection with any charcter in order to not force the player in any role they don't want(obviosly, you are going to be a soldier of some kind and fight in a war, but everything else should be up.to the player.)

• 1 month later...
  • Game - A new one. I'd personally love a mix between some mechanics of Thracia 776, Echoes, and what Three Houses is shaping up to be. A fatigue system based on combined weapon weight (with slightly reduced fatigue for mounted units), multiple tiers of classes that have higher fatigue caps than the previous tiers, and the ability to use any non-magic weapon in any class at the cost of risking faster fatigue buildup due to having more weapons...that's something I'd go for. I think Thracia had something going for it with the Stamina Drinks, but I think "healing tiles" or the like would be a lot more enjoyable to implement. Maybe there could be a Healer class that also exudes an Amaterasu-like AoE that partially reduces the fatigue buildup of nearby allies, which gets more powerful as the game progresses. And there could be a Mila's Turnwheel that has a separate ability to remove your units' fatigue at the cost of making it unusable for the rest of the current chapter. And of course you would be able to rest, in an area much like Three Houses has.
  • Physical Appearance - A sort of mix between Laurent and Robin from Awakening (either gender). A sort of well-rounded face, and a nice pair of glasses. Customization would be an option, but it would only be limited to their classes' outfits (so you would be able to dress a Sniper in Dark Mage armor) and you would have to achieve certain weapon tiers to unlock these customs for those specific units. My male avatar would prefer Hero garb, while the female avatar would prefer Assassin garb.
  • Personality - Both are serious and impulsive, but considerate of others and knows what they want. Definitely not like Corrin (I mean that seriously, not jokingly).
  • Weapon Affinities - The male avatar would use Bows and Lances, while the female would opt for daggers and magic
  • Personal Weapon(s) - The male avatar would have a lance that nullifies anti-cavalry effectiveness, and a bow that deals adaptive damage against ranged foes. The female avatar would have a dagger that increases the user's Skill equal to half the highest stat penalty on the foe (making Lethality easier to activate), and a Lightning spell that grants a half-Galeforce on defeating the foe.
  • Class - The male would be a Bow Knight, taking advantage of cavalry units having reduced fatigue in this game. The female would be an Assassin, preferring light weapons and magic to make the most of her class.
  • Custom Class - None during their respective first routes, though the female would have a Personal Skill that lets them use certain types of magic in non-magic classes. The male avatar would be the harder route, in which he doesn't have a Personal Skill until he finds his commander's cure (down below); this Personal Skill is better based on how early you return with said cure.
    At the start of the "War Route" (below), the female Avatar receives a custom promotion in her Assassin class based on how many of her units she kept alive. This "promotion" essentially increases her maximum Weapon Rank for each weapon type based on her performance, giving her the ability to use S-Rank daggers and magic for the best result.
  • Stat Strengths/Weaknesses - The male would have a higher Speed, but lower Magic; the female would have a higher Skill, but lower Resistance.
  • Role - Both the male and female Avatars would essentially be Lords of their own armies, but there would be certain differences in how they operate (below).
  • Story - The male and female would have different stories based on their gender.
    The male is a blacksmith who eventually was drafted into the Lord's (game Lord) personal army. He doesn't particularly like his commander, but he has a relatively good relationship with said commander due to his Smithing expertise. One day, the Lord is stricken with a sickness and the Avatar is tasked with finding a cure while temporarily taking over the army to help assist him in finding this cure. Taking too long results in the Lord dying with a Game Over, being right on time results in being given a good Personal Skill, but being early results in being given a powerful Personal Skill. The male Avatar has access to Three Houses-like Battalions on his journey, but he himself isn't all that special due to the lack of a Personal Skill.
    The female is a mercenary who is hired to assassinate the King (actual King). When it's revealed that this was a set-up, they instead go to the King and request being given means to assassinate the person who sent her. The King accepts and gives her some money and a few soldiers with Three Houses-like Battalions. In this route, the Avatar herself doesn't have a Battalion, and your goal is to keep your soldiers alive and as fatigue-less as possible. She has a longer amount of time to complete her goal than the male Avatar does, and she has a Personal Skill to make things easier, but losing soldiers will leave her nearly defenseless and will make the journey a lot harder.
    Eventually the two will meet up in an Echoes-like way. The King reveals to the Avatars that war is on the horizon, and makes them the leaders of their own armies. At this point the Lord also becomes playable, and three paths (that can also meet up and trade with each other) are traversed. The Lord has easier battles, but starts out with and recruits the weakest army; the male Avatar has best overall units, but the weakest Battalions; the female Avatar has the strongest Battalions, but the hardest battles.
    Unlike the Avatars' first respective routes, losing each army's commander won't result in a Game Over (unless you lose all three of them). Instead, losing a commander just makes the final battle harder, as you have fewer units to attack and defend. It should be incredibly difficult to finish the story with just the female Avatar. After defeating the final area, a different Ending is shown based on the commander(s) that survived, as well as whether they died before or during the final battle.
  • Job - Like said in Story, the male was a Blacksmith. Due to this talent of his, buying and forging weapons will be cheaper. Also in Story, the female is an Assassin; her personal weapon, which she gets later in the "War Route", gives her a dagger that lets her activate Lethality more often.
  • Relationships - The male avatar has a choice between the members of his army during his first route, though the canonical choice will be an Axe user with strong personality ties to the Tellius saga's Titania. He has pretty much free reign over which units he has relationships with, but he'll obviously be able to choose only one. The one he S-Ranks with (or is the closest to S-Ranking with, being given the choice to choose if he has multiple A-Ranks) will be given an early promotion to their class by the start of the War Route.
    The female Avatar works sort of differently. She doesn't canonically have any intimate relationships, but she does have a strong friendship with the soldiers she keeps alive during her first route. Her personality in the War Route changes based on how many of her units she keeps alive until she finishes her first route, having a much warmer and welcoming personality with the best result (but not drastic enough that it's forced), and these changes open up some Support dialogues with certain people based on the level of her personality change.
  • Other Details
    1) Game Difficulty - The difficulties would differ based on the commanders. In the Avatars' first routes, both will be difficult in their own ways. In the "War Route", the difficulty is separated by the respective commander — in which the actual "Lord" is pretty easy, the male Avatar is mildly difficult, and the female Avatar is Difficult (with a capital D). Getting to the final area with all three commanders alive requires a healthy dose of Fire Emblem strategic know-how, but pays off in the long run.
    2) Likes/Dislikes and Hobbies - The male Avatar is a glutton for apples, and he'd be regularly seen eating them in his spare time whenever he'd get the chance. If he survives the War Route, he would be seen with a large orchard dedicated to different kinds of apples. He hates chocolate, something his canonical wife agrees to disagree with. His best hobby is reading while sitting under trees, especially with an apple in one hand and the book in the other.
    The female Avatar can't get enough of leafy greens, with lettuce and spinach being her favorites. One of her Best Result Supports is her gushing to one of her friends about how much she loves salad, and she has her own garden if she survives the War Route. She absolutely hates cranberries, however, due to their tartness; she recalls, in a Support conversation, that she has a fear of eating whole berries (or berry-shaped items) in general because she choked on a cranberry as a child. Her hobby is undoubtedly gardening, and as a result also has a hobby of making flower crowns for children when she gets the chance.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, Etheus said:

Etheus Rook

• Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
    • I have my own story setting in mind, but for the sake of simplicity and interest, I'll retrofit my avatar into the setting I love most.
  • Appearance - A sleek, roguish half-Heron Branded with light silver hair tied back into a ponytail. Brown Eyes. Trimmed beard with no mustache. Wears a brown cloak with silver trim, with similarly colored gloves to hide the Brands on his hands.
  • Personality - Philosophical and idealistic. Prone to dry sarcasm that complicates his self-image as a diplomat. (Almost) hopelessly romantic, and fiercely loyal

This made me realize that i'd love go back to Tellius and have an avatar or protagonist that is a beast unit but also can use weapons, exactly like Corrin gameplay wise. But instead of turning a dragon, it's a Laguz or another kind of beast 

4 hours ago, Mylady said:

This made me realize that i'd love go back to Tellius and have an avatar or protagonist that is a beast unit but also can use weapons, exactly like Corrin gameplay wise. But instead of turning a dragon, it's a Laguz or another kind of beast 

Hilariously, Byleth actually pretty much ended up being what I wanted... functionally.

Then he completely dropped the ball on appearance. The gauntlets are too goofy looking (I would like something sleeker), his Enlightened One outfit is lame, and his color scheme is... questionable. If he had only stuck with his default Commoner outfit for all classes, I'd have been much happier with him.