Can you rename the protagonist? Is he/she customizable like hair color?

Everything points to Byleth having a fixed appearance. He/she appears in several pre-rendered cutscenes. Plus what various media outlets have said.

You can change his/her name. Famitsu says that Byleth is their "default name". They wouldn't say that unless you could change it. Also, nobody calls him/her by name in dialogue. It's always "teacher". So there's no problem if he/she has a variable name.

Edited by VincentASM

I get why its necessary (for beautiful cutscenes etc) but it kinda sucks... the design of female byleth is... horrible. I love when games (specially rmpg/jrpgs) give the option of playing a female charcter bc lets be real there are not enough of them out there, so i always pick them. I dont need costumization usually BUT MY GOD that skirt and design over all on f!byleth is just so... so offputting! idk what i would find worse: not having a female avatar at all or have her beeing the female avatar.... (but i guess, i'd take the female version since content and husbandos q.q)

473.thumb.jpg.c6a71235b6830e3076dd18bb035fc33a.jpg

At first it didnt look so bad to me (like in the picture above), but with more time.... and moving pictures (and with beautifull M!byleth in the trailers...) this feeling got a hold in me...

If you see the scenes rendered with male or female and compare you can see that male byleth has a much more strong air and statue than she has.

Hes a leader, seems about to be the age of lets say 18-25 and knows where he stands in life - like he should as a teacher and next Leader of a merc group.
Female Byleth is an anime girl with a way to wide face and eyes - like she hasnt hit puberty yet... she looks like about 14-16, maybe 18 with a stretch....

image.png.f8b057949e0e5a6cf31217be3c01fb91.png

My god that armor, skit, proportions.... i just cant believe that they actually thought like "yes, this is the design we can put out there!" after they did such good a job...

urgh, i really needed to say that. Feels good to let it out.... but i dont think it will ever go away while playing the main game.... IS you f-ed up this time ! 😞

Edited by Arynee
added picture

6 minutes ago, Arynee said:

I get why its necessary (for beautiful cutscenes etc) but it kinda sucks... the design of female byleth is... horrible. I love when games (specially rmpg/jrpgs) give the option of playing a female charcter bc lets be real there are not enough of them out there, so i always pick them. I dont need costumization usually BUT MY GOD that skirt and design over all on f!byleth is just so... so offputting! idk what i would find worse: not having a female avatar at all or have her beeing the female avatar.... (but i guess, i'd take the female version since content and husbandos q.q)

At first it didnt look so bad to me, but with more time.... and moving pictures (and with beautifull M!byleth in the trailers...) this feeling got a hold in me...

If you see the scenes rendered with male or female and compare you can see that male byleth has a much more strong air and statue than she has.

Hes a leader, seems about to be the age of lets say 18-25 and knows where he stands in life - like he should as a teacher and next Leader of a merc group.
Female Byleth is an anime girl with a way to wide face and eyes - like she hasnt hit puberty yet... she looks like about 14-16, maybe 18 with a stretch....

urgh, i really needed to say that. Feels good to let it out.... but i dont think it will ever go away while playing the main game.... IS you f-ed up this time ! 😞

I mean that's just completely subject to opinion, I for example I'm on the complete opposite side, I absolutely adore the female design, on the other hand the male one looks very stupid to me (face is weird and hair is a joke).

6 minutes ago, timon said:

I mean that's just completely subject to opinion, I for example I'm on the complete opposite side, I absolutely adore the female design, on the other hand the male one looks very stupid to me (face is weird and hair is a joke).

i added what i meant i an edit, for example this:

14 minutes ago, Arynee said:

But i mean, even if you like that too - i do not mean to offend or anything. It kinda baffles me, but i'm kinda glad that this design bringt joy to at least one of us ^^"
I just could ramble all day to myself about how much i hate it xD

I'm just like... give the guy some boobs and i'll take it xD Anime style is female enough for me, just get that wide faced/eyed skirt away from me xD

Edited by Arynee
bc i cant write without errors in othography for the life of mine...

I remember seeing the name "Byleth" on the save files menu, so I think that probably means we can change the name of the character.

Like everyone else said, I think we can't change the appearance in any way and the change of hair colour is likely related to the plot.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:22 AM, Arynee said:

At first it didnt look so bad to me (like in the picture above), but with more time.... and moving pictures (and with beautifull M!byleth in the trailers...) this feeling got a hold in me...

My god that armor, skit, proportions.... i just cant believe that they actually thought like "yes, this is the design we can put out there!" after they did such good a job...

What I really find outputting about female Byleth's design is the exposed midriff - personally, that isn't what I'd want a female teacher wearing. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't mind seeing female characters in midriff baring outfits.

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What I really find outputting about female Byleth's design is the exposed midriff - personally, that isn't what I'd want a female teacher wearing. And this is coming from someone who normally doesn't mind seeing female characters in midriff baring outfits.

Well, technically it isnt what i want my female warrior to be wearing either but i guess after camilla that argument is gone for good xD

I didnt think about the midriff much actually but yeah you're right. It seems odd, since the outfit is rather covered. Sure the skirt is mini, but she has "leggins" with so much pattern that it kinda doesnt count / coveres up enough. (although thats my opinion ofc)
But the missing cleavage is noticable (although i didnt pay attention at first, cause the avatars/MU before didnt have it- wich was really good. Not bc cleavage is bad, but bc it dosnt need to be there, etc etc) and it feels like they were like "but we need to do SOMETHING with the design!" and thuss, since no boobs, they opend the midriff....

Maybe thats just from my perspective of "man, M!Byleth looks so cool" tho, but it just seems so uninspired.

....Although, i guess i could see why people would say that about the M!Byleth outfit too, both dont seem to have the same charme as the outfits from fates / awakening (i'm only counting these bc similar design and era)

EDIT:

i just noticed that the designs of the male and female version are really different actually! At elast compared to robin and corrin in their female and male version respectively, they are really similar just fitted to the gender - here its a complete different desgin with some overlapping stuff. Like the dagger, color and i guess the mantle. BUt i just looked at it and i was like: "woah, if they'd take M! Byleths armor and just cut out the shame at the nack to have cleavage, it would look female and good already.... take away the pants if you must but that alone would be so much better!"

I wonder why they did that.... and why the female version has that wierd thing on her cleavage while he has nothing but a symbol, they dont even match wich probably means its unimportant anyway....? So why bother changing like that?

Edited by Arynee

I wish they had just given both male and female Byleth the male version of the outfit. 

Female Byleth looks really stupid in my opinion, like what is this stripper doing in school as a teacher? 

Sadly, to romance Dimitri I'll have to play as her... I'll just change jobs ASAP to get rid of that horrible attire.

Edited by Bloom

Eh yeah, the outfit on the legs is a bit weird, but I stand by my point, the face is much much better on the girl and I don't dislike the armour (the belly button is a bit weird but surely not a deal breaker). Also I don't really care too much for the full body artwork, in game we basically see the class she'll be in and the portrait (which is lovely), you see this model only when roaming around.

And honestly I don't get the problem with "but she's a teacher :O" (as I didn't get the problem with "teacher romancing student nono"), people are forgetting that this is not high school, they're not going in class to do some maths and smoke weed with mates. It's a military academy, they're training to be soldiers goddamn, I don't think clothes are a problem (and yes, I know they're going the full anime school way, but IN THEORY this should be military training, and I actually hope there will be some of that as well).

MEANWHILE the guy has dead eyes, overgrown stupid hair and a void expression. Honestly, this is worse than Lorenz, it's terrible.

UdkEJSX.jpg WTF is this shit lol, how did they even think of that.

2 hours ago, Bloom said:

I wish they had just given both male and female Byleth the male version of the outfit. 

Female Byleth looks really stupid in my opinion, like what is this stripper doing in school as a teacher? 

Sadly, to romance Dimitri I'll have to play as her... I'll just change jobs ASAP to get rid of that horrible attire.

OMG yes, please let the outfit change if we change jobs.... but on the other hand... the Avatar usually has a really strong class like Lord/Hero or something right? Idk how this will be affected in the new system, but man... i really hope we can change the outfit. it drives me nuts to see it xD

19 minutes ago, timon said:

people are forgetting that this is not high school, they're not going in class to do some maths and smoke weed with mates. It's a military academy, they're training to be soldiers goddamn, I don't think clothes are a problem (and yes, I know they're going the full anime school way, but IN THEORY this should be military training, and I actually hope there will be some of that as well).

MEANWHILE the guy has dead eyes, overgrown stupid hair and a void expression. Honestly, this is worse than Lorenz, it's terrible.

UdkEJSX.jpg

Yes ("they're not going in class to do some maths and smoke weed with mates") but you know what? IT IS WAR
and when there is war you dont leave you damn collarbone or BELLY BUTTON OPEN goddamit. (just like you said afterwards: " It's a military academy, they're training to be soldiers goddamn, IN THEORY this should be military training")

The argument has passed of what is realistic imo and i think yourse is as invalid as theirs :S We dont have real armor rules and we have no real school rules, its fantasy, but theres still class and how something looks and the truth is: the protagonist SCHOULD look strong and like she has authroity both in school and on the battleflied but she doesnt. She looks yound, like the sword is way to big for her (wich is not that big of a deal for the male version bc they are associated to be stronger, thuss its more "Normal" to have an uber-sword... but she doesnt even look strong for a woman overall, so we have a double-bad on that side) and wierd (i dont slutshame the outfit but i understand people feeling like its skimpy)

This is control: he doesnt even need both hands to hold it

latest?cb=20190426054524

This just looks like a to big and heavy sword...

image.png.e29f5d6e5b4de9f053518c40cb6ab02e.png

and for the dead eyes & void expression, i actually dig it. a lot.
Why not have a leader that emotionally unavailable? or at least not telling from his face.  Do you know what hes seen? You never know what hes thinking, its a pokerface and thats actually not a bad quality to have in both war and as a tactician imo.
I thought it was interessting having some other character / personallity type for a change. Not just stoic, lively or heroic.... he doesnt seem to look dumb, (maybe a bit bored at a time?), but some people just have a bad resting face right xD

Edited by Arynee
bc i cant write without errors in othography for the life of mine...

1 hour ago, Arynee said:

OMG yes, please let the outfit change if we change jobs.... but on the other hand... the Avatar usually has a really strong class like Lord/Hero or something right? Idk how this will be affected in the new system, but man... i really hope we can change the outfit. it drives me nuts to see it xD

Yes ("they're not going in class to do some maths and smoke weed with mates") but you know what? IT IS WAR
and when there is war you dont leave you damn collarbone or BELLY BUTTON OPEN goddamit. (just like you said afterwards: " It's a military academy, they're training to be soldiers goddamn, IN THEORY this should be military training")

The argument has passed of what is realistic imo and i think yourse is as invalid as theirs :S We dont have real armor rules and we have no real school rules, its fantasy, but theres still class and how something looks and the truth is: the protagonist SCHOULD look strong and like she has authroity both in school and on the battleflied but she doesnt. She looks yound, like the sword is way to big for her (wich is not that big of a deal for the male version bc they are associated to be stronger, thuss its more "Normal" to have an uber-sword... but she doesnt even look strong for a woman overall, so we have a double-bad on that side) and wierd (i dont slutshame the outfit but i understand people feeling like its skimpy)

This is control: he doesnt even need both hands to hold it

latest?cb=20190426054524

This just looks like a to big and heavy sword...

image.png.e29f5d6e5b4de9f053518c40cb6ab02e.png

and for the dead eyes & void expression, i actually dig it. a lot.
Why not have a leader that emotionally unavailable? or at least not telling from his face.  Do you know what hes seen? You never know what hes thinking, its a pokerface and thats actually not a bad quality to have in both war and as a tactician imo.
I thought it was interessting having some other character / personallity type for a change. Not just stoic, lively or heroic.... he doesnt seem to look dumb, (maybe a bit bored at a time?), but some people just have a bad resting face right xD

Are you okay?? We understand you don't like female Byleth, but the extra points you are putting in (for example, "is not that big of a deal for the male version bc they are associated to be stronger") are irrelevant and frankly misogynistic. Especially ironic coming from a girl. 

We already have seen that the female Byleth gets armour and loses the outfit when she changes class. But Fire Emblem has always had girls dressed in clothing not appropriate for combat. Obviously it loses some realism, but at the end of the day it is just a video game. You would think getting hit with swords and axes would make you lose a few limbs too, but everyone is still intact. It's a fantasy game for a reason. 

Can you just be happy that the game included two options for a protagonist? I'm not really a fan of male Byleth, but I am happy they included both options. If one of them isn't your cup of tea then that is perfectly fine, no one is obliging you to play as the female version. But there really is no need to scrutinize and criticize female Byleth to this extent. 

No need to be this salty about F!Byleth XD

I actually like her because she looks young and happy. And she actually naturally smiles, I like characters who smiles. Also she doesn't have a skirt but shorts (it doesn't matter anyway since she can change her job)

About the sword thing they're just not preparing the same attack but are both in guard. M!Byleth will probably thrust and F! Byleth will probably hit toward the sky to disarm/remove her opponent's guard. There is a (Kendo) technique where you show this weak guard and weaknesses to the opponent so they will attack and you take advantage of that by disarming them/removing their guard by hitting their weapon from below. This need more strength than thrusting.

So yes, there is people who likes M!Byleth because he looks cool, bored, etc, and others who likes F!Byleth because she looks like the opposite, and I prefer her since I'm not a fan of cold characters. I don't see them as the same character because they're too differents actually.

Edited by ShinkaiNoAki

2 hours ago, Torii said:

Are you okay?? We understand you don't like female Byleth, but the extra points you are putting in (for example, "is not that big of a deal for the male version bc they are associated to be stronger") are irrelevant and frankly misogynistic. Especially ironic coming from a girl. 

We already have seen that the female Byleth gets armour and loses the outfit when she changes class. But Fire Emblem has always had girls dressed in clothing not appropriate for combat. Obviously it loses some realism, but at the end of the day it is just a video game. You would think getting hit with swords and axes would make you lose a few limbs too, but everyone is still intact. It's a fantasy game for a reason. 

Can you just be happy that the game included two options for a protagonist? I'm not really a fan of male Byleth, but I am happy they included both options. If one of them isn't your cup of tea then that is perfectly fine, no one is obliging you to play as the female version. But there really is no need to scrutinize and criticize female Byleth to this extent. 

I dont really want to answer to someone who at first asks me "are you okay" as if i'm insane... but since i always try to understand people and try to cobvery enough so that they understand (understand, NOT agree with) me, i'll answer anyway:

i'm clearly not the only person up set by her design although everyone has their own ticks. And that guys are assosiated to be stronger over all is not misogynistic, i'm sorry if you feel threated or idk whats the problem, but its just like it is.
its not fact that they are (although thats an discussion in its own wich i will not open here, bc why would i) but the fact simply is yes, guys are portrailed and associated around the wolrd to be physically stronger than woman wich means if you want it or not, you're using a certain kind of sign language.
If its anything, its unfortunate that its also underlined in the art for example  by male version holding the sword confindent and ready to attack (and if you think thats my projection, look at it again: 1 hand, other is free to do what ever, his look is clear, pose is ready to go etc) while the female version has it resting on the ground (look at the tip, its even below her feet. Her pose is not forward as his, its a step back, and straight, this is not how you go into a fight, more likely before or in the pause of an encounter. Her second hand is more towards the sword as if she either just let go or need to pick the sword up again etc). Its kinda confevying that she cant hold it properly, or shes tired from it -wich means she comes off as weaker than him.... thats simple sign/body language.....

I dont say i'm an expert art designer but sign and bodylaguage are things all people can read and if you train your eye it gets easier. I did have some design / photography classes where we did do branding and such and what it means if you portrail things an people a certain way so maybe i'm overly critic, i'll grant you that. But imo i can just voice things i see, like and dislike more easily (and clearly, with the things its connected) than others.... its not making me an expert on anything but i do think its nice to have. Even if you might disagree with me here 🙂

And for the rest of what you said, i already adressed and said that myself btw. I said, yeah i'm salty and i needed to let it out but then everyone talked about ther personal pet peves about it and i added mine - dont see whats the problem. I have my problems with the design and i argued why i think and feel like i do, nothing crazy here. And i did say i'm at least greatful we have some female avatar AND that realism is not an argument in this anymore.... kinda feels like you didnt really read all that i said but welp.
Maybe just dont start with "are you okay?" next time?

Also THIS to lighten the mood 😛
image.thumb.png.af843c423dc3d2d2c9a3b187775ddc1b.png

Edited by Arynee

34 minutes ago, Arynee said:

I dont really want to answer to someone who at first asks me "are you okay" as if i'm insane... but since i always try to understand people and try to cobvery enough so that they understand (understand, NOT agree with) me, i'll answer anyway:

i'm clearly not the only person up set by her design although everyone has their own ticks. And that guys are assosiated to be stronger over all is not misogynistic, i'm sorry if you feel threated or idk whats the problem, but its just like it is.
its not fact that they are (although thats an discussion in its own wich i will not open here, bc why would i) but the fact simply is yes, guys are portrailed and associated around the wolrd to be physically stronger than woman wich means if you want it or not, you're using a certain kind of sign language.
If its anything, its unfortunate that its also underlined in the art for example  by male version holding the sword confindent and ready to attack (and if you think thats my projection, look at it again: 1 hand, other is free to do what ever, his look is clear, pose is ready to go etc) while the female version has it resting on the ground (look at the tip, its even below her feet. Her pose is not forward as his, its a step back, and straight, this is not how you go into a fight, more likely before or in the pause of an encounter. Her second hand is more towards the sword as if she either just let go or need to pick the sword up again etc). Its kinda confevying that she cant hold it properly, or shes tired from it -wich means she comes off as weaker than him.... thats simple sign/body language.....

I dont say i'm an expert art designer but sign and bodylaguage are things all people can read and if you train your eye it gets easier. I did have some design / photography classes where we did do branding and such and what it means if you portrail things an people a certain way so maybe i'm overly critic, i'll grant you that. But imo i can just voice things i see, like and dislike more easily (and clearly, with the things its connected) than others.... its not making me an expert on anything but i do think its nice to have. Even if you might disagree with me here 🙂

And for the rest of what you said, i already adressed and said that myself btw. I said, yeah i'm salty and i needed to let it out but then everyone talked about ther personal pet peves about it and i added mine - dont see whats the problem. I have my problems with the design and i argued why i think and feel like i do, nothing crazy here. And i did say i'm at least greatful we have some female avatar AND that realism is not an argument in this anymore.... kinda feels like you didnt really read all that i said but welp.
Maybe just dont start with "are you okay?" next time? 

I apologize, the random bold and the fact that you seemed to be so riled up over female Byleth led me to ask. It was rude of me, I will admit. I also apologize for the part on realism, as I misread what you said.

Biologically yes, men are stronger than women. I don't feel threatened by that fact, but do I feel threatened that people (and girls specifically) keep perpetuating the notion that women are inherently incapable of doing the same things men are just because of being physically weaker? Absolutely.

The art is like that because the artist chose to draw her like that, probably for some variety. I don't really see the artist saying to herself, "She should appear weaker than male Byleth so I'll draw her like this instead". Also, if you look at gameplay videos you can see she has no problem holding the sword or swinging it, since you want to talk about how she "can't hold it properly".

Anyway, I don't want to get this too derailed from topic and I don't think it's beneficial for anyone to keep arguing about this anymore.  And sorry again for sounding harsh with my words.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:22 PM, Arynee said:

I completely agree about her outfit (her posture looks really off at the selection screen as well) That's a terrible design for a number of reasons, but I'm not surprised. They've really opened up to this kind of content ever since they turned desparate for sales starting with Awakening.

Luckily for me I was going to play as the male Byleth anyway and I'm perfectly fine with the way he looks. But I feel your pain. Hopefully the class change outfits are better as someone suggested. I personally don't have a problem with the female face and hair though, but I always find it harder to enjoy a game if I don't like the protagonist (including the design). So I can see why it matters to you.

Edited by Siskan

As far as they've said, only the name is customizable~ And based on the fact that Byleth seems to have a plot related hair color change, it's safe to say you can't change any of that~

As for F!Byleth looking like a thot, just change her class~ Problem solved~ I'll probably make mine into whatever Sorcerer Class this game has which are usually dressed even worse~

7 hours ago, Arynee said:

Curious fact of the day, the stance she has in the artwork is kinda similar to an actual real life stance, which is purposely done to leave yourself "open" (you really aren't) and go for the counter. The name of this actually decent stance is... fool's guard. Yeah, it's not only the body language, even it's name is unbefitting of a hero. xD