Can you rename the protagonist? Is he/she customizable like hair color?

Do the class outfits show up on Byleth in the monastery/out of battle game segments? It looks to me like they're always in their default outfit there, like every else.

16 hours ago, Torii said:

I apologize, the random bold and the fact that you seemed to be so riled up over female Byleth led me to ask. It was rude of me, I will admit. I also apologize for the part on realism, as I misread what you said.

Anyway, I don't want to get this too derailed from topic and I don't think it's beneficial for anyone to keep arguing about this anymore.  And sorry again for sounding harsh with my words.

No harm done!  Plus i agree, i've ot nothing new to add.... except something i've been thinking about the last half of the day now...

20 hours ago, ShinkaiNoAki said:

I actually like her because she looks young and happy. And she actually naturally smiles, I like characters who smiles.

So yes, there is people who likes M!Byleth because he looks cool, bored, etc, and others who likes F!Byleth because she looks like the opposite, and I prefer her since I'm not a fan of cold characters. I don't see them as the same character because they're too differents actually.

^^^This. I've read some similar comments.
I didnt pay mutch attention on it but after i came through my grumbling for a bit while working on an ad job for a client i actually think i understood something i forgot about: target group. It might be true that F!Byleth is indeed doing this attacks stance some people referenced, i think its a really, really bad pick bc of the things i mentioned beore/above but putting that aside... i actually feel like female Byleth might just not be fitted for me as a consumer. I.E. i am not the target group they are going for.

It would make sense, if they were to try and get younger women/girls to buy the game. They'd need to present a female avatar + wich is in lower age to have a connection. Plus the games before has a lot of shipping etc wich IS usually a "girl-game"-mechanic (urgh, gonna wash my moth after this). What i mean is, someone in japan might have thought HEY THIS KINDA SOUNDS LIKE AN OTOME + TACTICAL RPG or something along these lines and they are trying to bring in all those girl gamers (or lets say, the next gen of consumers? consumers+?).
BC the Oldtimers like me and (lets be honest, this whole forum mostly) will buy the game probably anyway, just bc the gameplay is great usually and this time even the storytelling might be on a FE level again xD So these sales are pretty much garanteed....
But with a school setting (at least for w while) + focus on relationships (while not as indepth as in the 2 games before?) IS a good seller for girls ... i think? Again, i think i might not be the target group for that paticular question...

So it boils down to:
male byleth, the usual FE Protagonist

and female Byleth, the young, cute anime protagonist wich draws in mostly new (girl) gamers.
this actually works for boys too, since they'd just pick male Byleth anyway....
so what would you loos in this plan? right, nothing. You risk absolutely nothing and might improve sales by a whole magrin bc you gained new costumers...

well you do get some grumpy chicks flaming at SF but who cares about that right? xD

Also, thx to everyone saying that Avatar clothes change with class change, this really gives me my hope back haha. When i first wrote this and for a long while until it was first pointed out in this thread, i actually didnt know - or well lets say, i didnt connect the dots, guess it was all that salt grinding my gears - that you too can change your classes freely and thuss change clothes.
I dont like female byleths face if you compare it to male byleth, but ingame it will probably not bee so bad since you cant... and funny enough, i dont care about the hair stuff at all (style, bugs? and color dont matter to me - though i hope the color has some meaning since it changes?), although i've seen lots of people be really mad about it, haha ~
...so theres only the clothes left. - Well that and posture - but i hope the gender-pick-screen is an exception, since usually she should stand like a normal person from what i've noticed in the trailers.... so, all's good? at least for me..... probably.

Edited by Arynee

3 hours ago, Arynee said:

male byleth, the usual FE Protagonist
and female Byleth, the young, cute anime protagonist wich draws in mostly new (girl) gamers.

M!Byleth looks way colder from the FE protag archetype. And I actually see the Byleths like a Ephraim/Eirika choice: cool guy or cute girl? I think you're right, F!Byleth may draw in new gamers but it's also true for M!Byleth, the cold, ruthless, anime character/protagonist. And it's also true for every characters because FE characters always looked like anime characters with big eyes, colourful hair/eyes and art which looks like animes from their times.

So like I said it's because people has different tastes. You said that you prefer M!Byleth's face, fine! I personally prefer F!Byleth's face. It does not mean I'm a teenager who wants a otome game character. It just means that I like cheerful characters and honestly I would feel awkward and annoyed playing a stoic one since I don't like these kind of characters and they're the total opposite from me. Also some people thinks the Byleths faces are due to the demon Byleth mythos (it appears either as a scary looking guy or as a cute girl) but I didn't searched sources about that so I don't know if it's true.

Anyway I think we should stop talking about that because it's pointless to argue eternally and a bit off topic. We're still talking about Byleth, yes but not answering OP's questions which were already answered.

Female Byleth doesn’t look that young tbh. She is definitely older than the students. Drawing female characters with bigger eyes than their male counterparts is a normal stylistic choice in manga. 

My biggest problem with female Byleth are her clothes and she gets rid of them after she changes her class, so as a woman who is arguably older than most people I don’t mind her at all. 

Dlc mentioned costumes as one of the things you can buy. I'd assume outfits would be out of combat rather than reskinning over combat costumes. Might make fbyleth playable for the people who really aren't feeling it.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, berriicoco said:

Female Byleth doesn’t look that young tbh. She is definitely older than the students. Drawing female characters with bigger eyes than their male counterparts is a normal stylistic choice in manga.

This is very true. Male Byleth has what is known as Tsurime eyes, which tend to symbolize masculinity, pride, or strong will. They tend to show up most commonly on male characters and action girls.

Female Byleth, on the other hand, has Tareme eyes. They tend to make a face look softer, more innocent, and usually more feminine. They show up on children and more stereotypically feminine characters.

Having character genders with these opposing eyes appears to be common in Japanese media and video games. In one game; Story of Season: Trio of Towns, one of the characters named Inari can appear as either a male or a female character.

image.png.4df7806022969f780320d61374fbbe53.pngimage.png.504cdb4181b601ff7aa8db924343b2ea.png

The male Inari is on the left and the female is on the right. See how the male version's eyes are pointed upwards at the corners while the females are more rounded? It's a way to distinguish them without doing any major character changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to maybe necro a thread (i dont think so but i can imagine some people do! so sorry to you :S)

But this just in: https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8690-fire-emblem-three-houses-expansion-pass-detailed

Costumes are coming back in the expansion pass it seems, and we got pictures of both genders of Byleth in alternative gear

Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses_Expansion-Pass_20190703_03.thumb.jpg.17a830a046c1b80d743f23f9d091e770.jpgFire-Emblem-Three-Houses_Expansion-Pass_20190703_01.thumb.jpg.a265a5d73c80581bdd5c16004d0d55bf.jpg

So yeah, for 30 bucks people that dont like the attire CAN change it (without changing the class?)

I'm both kinda excited and a bit salty that its behind "a pay wall" but maybe i'm just judging to fast. (i mean we dont have any info on costumes at all rn, so maybe there are some free ones in the main game and stuff...) in any case i like both designs a lot - although i personally feel like M!Byleth is a bit to much haha ~
In any case, i guess i'm satisfied - since if this game will be as good as it looks currently, i'll definitely buy the expansion pass 😄