Shields and Armies

I don't know if anyone has talked about it, as it is really easy to miss, but we actually have confirmation that shields are returning - but this time they can be equipped alongside weapons. It is the item Ignatz steals from Dedue here. The shield on Dedue's map model even changes after Ignatz steals it. It is hard to see, but Ignatz actually equips the shield as well, but I don't see his model change at all. Maybe only classes that have shields on their models normally get different shield looks for equipping them?

Also we get to see Dedue as a "third army" unit. Canon classes are also a confirmed thing - which makes sense given other house students may/will be enemies post-time skip.

If you slow the clip down, right at the end of the video there's a frame where you get to see Ignatz equip the shield; kind of deconfirming my hope that they're armoured unit exclusive.

19 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

If you slow the clip down, right at the end of the video there's a frame where you get to see Ignatz equip the shield; kind of deconfirming my hope that they're armoured unit exclusive.

Yeah. At first I was hoping it would be something to make up for their lack of class skills. Ah well.

23 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I think they already rectified it, I slowed it down as much as possible and saw nothing.

16 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I think they already rectified it, I slowed it down as much as possible and saw nothing.

It's still there. The video hasn't been re-uploaded and I doubt they'd do that for something this minor. It's literally a few frames and very easy to miss on YouTube.

leather-shield.jpg

Basically, it's the game auto-equipping an item after using the trade function, like in earlier games. Since stealing is the same as trading.

Also, that's a Leather Shield, in case anybody was wondering. For now, it seems like they're going for Echoes's shield system. Huh, that's yet another thing they're borrowing.

18 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

There's a small E that appears next to the Shield in Ignatz's inventory when he steals it.

Yellow doesn't mean they are your allies. The only time we have seen yellow colouring in this game is with the king of beasts who was a neutral enemy that could be attacked by both Blue units and the Red units. So Dedue isn't helping you. he is fighting you as yellow is just another enemy type. Your allies are still represented by Green.

3 hours ago, SpiceMan said:

Yellow doesn't mean they are your allies. The only time we have seen yellow colouring in this game is with the king of beasts who was a neutral enemy that could be attacked by both Blue units and the Red units. So Dedue isn't helping you. he is fighting you as yellow is just another enemy type. Your allies are still represented by Green.

it could be an arbitrary faction, given that they were unaffiliated in genealogy and in tellius they were allied units that you could give orders.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

24 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

it could be an arbitrary faction, given that they were unaffiliated in genealogy and in tellius they were allied units that you could give orders.

You can see that he's targeting Leonie, so he's an enemy here.

I think yellow team is like in Advance Wars : Another team. Also, we know there is three houses, so we probably 2 different color for these houses. (I imagine a map with 2 different color)

I'm glad that accessory is back! (shield ATM)

I'm just hoping Shields show up in the models for non-armor classes, might even give new animations at least for infantry.

Edited by Marros

Blue = Player units, they can attack Red and Yellow units.

Red = Enemy team #1, they can attack Blue, Green and Yellow units.

Yellow = Enemy team #2, they can attack Blue, Green and Red units.

Green = Allied Blue team = they can attack Red and Yellow units.

Yellow is 100% just another enemy faction so we can have 3 sided battles. If they were on your side they would be green. This isn't like genealogy or Tellius' approach to yellow units, it's advance wars and wargrooves' approach. The yellow phase is clearly listed as enemy phase.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:58 PM, Marros said:

I'm just hoping Shields show up in the models for non-armor classes, might even give new animations at least for infantry.

For a split second after Ignatz steals tge shield, you can see it on his model so yes I’m pretty sure they will

1 hour ago, Azz said:

For a split second after Ignatz steals tge shield, you can see it on his model so yes I’m pretty sure they will

Do we? Dedue changes shields, but I can't see anything on Ignatz...

9 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Do we? Dedue changes shields, but I can't see anything on Ignatz...

Oh yeah you’re right I checked again and I thought I saw him equip it but I was wrong. 

I’d still say it’s pretty probable