Fe9 VS Fe10

Ilboss

Best Tellius Game  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Fe9 VS Fe10

• Path Of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn

Both for me. Because there are things that both do better than the other. Imo, PoR had the better writing overall while RD had the better gameplay. RD had better art while PoR had better supports. And so on. They're both my favorite FE games and two of my favorite games of all time.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Both for me. Because there are things that both do better than the other. Imo, PoR had the better writing overall while RD had the better gameplay. RD had better art while PoR had better supports. And so on. They're both my favorite FE games and two of my favorite games of all time.

I agree, but the biggest reason why I prefer Path Of Radiance over Radiant Dawn is that I really dislike how Radiant Dawn is split into different parts. Still a great game.

3 minutes ago, Ilboss said:

I agree, but the biggest reason why I prefer Path Of Radiance over Radiant Dawn is that I really dislike how Radiant Dawn is split into different parts. Still a great game.

I don't mind the game being split into parts. But I can admit that that's part of the reason for certain characters' availability issues (Tormod's party being the most notable here), so I do wish that bit had been handled a little better.

I love them both equally. Neither of these games would be as good as they are without the other one. However, I voted Radiant Dawn because, while Path of Radiance has the better overall story, I will never forget the feeling of playing these two games in a row and beating Radiant Dawn's finale. The ending of Radiant Dawn, after having played Path of Radiance before that, is unlike anything the rest of the Fire Emblem series has ever been able to capture. 

Path of Radiance is the more competent game but Radiant Dawn is the more interesting one. 

I'd say that Radiant Dawn has higher highs than Path of Radiance but also much, much lower lows. Radiant Dawn tries a lot of interesting things and that reflects very well on it....but a lot of things also don't really work out which reflects poorly on it. In contrast Path of Radiance is very conventional and safe but never screws up and does a good job disguising its simplicity by adding a lot of detail.

Usually I say I respect the ambitious game more than the conventional one which is why I place Conquest above Birthright, but in this case that doesn't really work. Normally the conventional game is dull but thanks to its detail that's not the case with Path of Radiance. 

Overall I slightly lean to Path of Radiance. It doesn't have many flaws and a lot of strengts while Radiant Dawn has a tad too many flaws. In some cases the flaws of Radiant Dawn somewhat damages the strong foundations of Path of Radiance like its shoddy handling of the Black Knight.

Radiant Dawn, because of accessibility. Joking aside, Radiant Dawn mostly cause the gameplay in Path of Radiance is so slow. Also, I like to hear more than one battle theme ( I know PoR has two, but still). I get tired of hearing the same two.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Overall I slightly lean to Path of Radiance. It doesn't have many flaws and a lot of strengts while Radiant Dawn has a tad too many flaws. In some cases the flaws of Radiant Dawn somewhat damages the strong foundations of Path of Radiance like its shoddy handling of the Black Knight.

Black Knight has more of a personality, backstory and character traits in RD than PoR. 

Radiant Dawn because I find almost everything about it to be better than Path of Radiance. PoR feels like a prototype in comparison, really only winning in support conversations.

10 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Black Knight has more of a personality, backstory and character traits in RD than PoR. 

RD certainly tried to do more with BK than POR. I just don't think it works out. The shift towards a more sympathetic Black Knight makes him a bit schizophrenic and makes him more of a scumbag then he would otherwise have been. 

Black Knight in Radiant Dawn: ''I strive not to take a life if I can avoid it and I'm the last true knight'' 

Black Knight in Path of Radiance:  *Kills Greil just to find out if he can* ''That's a nice daughter you have. Now do as I say or I am going to torture her''

Those things.....don't really match. Radiant Dawn tries really hard to make the Black Knight come off as noble but it also firmly establishes that the reason he killed Greil was solely to satisfy his own ego. He says he doesn't take a life if it can be avoided but according to Sephiran killing Greil could absolutely have been avoided. POR also implied the Black Knight had a certain grudge against Greil but Radiant Dawn denies any ill will between the two exists. The plot really drives home how noble Zelgius is while simultaneously revealing his motive to be incredibly petty and not showing this as a bad thing. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I loved how RD handled the Black Knight, but I do get why a lot of people feel like it's very out of place for his character to go from how super evil it was in FE9 to what it was in FE10.

Really in my mind I explain it like this: We didn't really get to see him as Zelgius that much in FE9...like I believe we only saw him once as Zelgius in all of FE9? So I like to assume he's more noble when he is Zelgius, but when he's the Black Knight his more evil side shows up. And really when you think about it the Black Knight had no reason to show any kindness to us in FE9 looking at how he was always our enemy. But on FE10 that wasn't the case, for the first time we saw the Black Knight as an ally while playing as Micaiah's team. Which the Black Knight had no reason to be cruel towards. And when we see him Zelgius again in part 3...again I like to think whenever he's Zelgius he just becomes more noble and such.

I know it's not perfect, but honestly FE10 made me like him a lot more than FE9 did....if anything he was very one-note in FE9. And now that I think about it, a lot of the evil characters in FE9 were very one-note from what I remember. Which is one of the reasons why I don't think it has a better story here. Like really tell me ONE difference between Ashnard and Garon, like they could be the same person.

Edited by Rose482

I prefer 10, I find that it is generally better, tighter gameplay, solid map design and a more ambitious story just makes me like it more.

1 hour ago, Rose482 said:

I loved how RD handled the Black Knight, but I do get why a lot of people feel like it's very out of place for his character to go from how super evil it was in FE9 to what it was in FE10.

Really in my mind I explain it like this: We didn't really get to see him as Zelgius that much in FE9...like I believe we only saw him once as Zelgius in all of FE9? So I like to assume he's more noble when he is Zelgius, but when he's the Black Knight his more evil side shows up. And really when you think about it the Black Knight had no reason to show any kindness to us in FE9 looking at how he was always our enemy. But on FE10 that wasn't the case, for the first time we saw the Black Knight as an ally while playing as Micaiah's team. Which the Black Knight had no reason to be cruel towards. And when we see him Zelgius again in part 3...again I like to think whenever he's Zelgius he just becomes more noble and such.

honestly I really find it weird that no one else ever considers that when zelgius is the black knight he may be putting on an act or just letting loose in ways he can't generally get away with due to his status, I too like what they did with zelgius in 10.

49 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I know it's not perfect, but honestly FE10 made me like him a lot more than FE9 did....if anything he was very one-note in FE9. And now that I think about it, a lot of the evil characters in FE9 were very one-note from what I remember. Which is one of the reasons why I don't think it has a better story here. Like really tell me ONE difference between Ashnard and Garon, like they could be the same person.

Ashnard is actually a very interesting villain and comparing him to garon is an enormous disservice to his character, his is a darwinist for one, which is a thousand times more interesting than any "we need more food" sob story or "the dragon told me" excuse from a supposedly previously heroic character, though it was established in radiant dawn it is hinted at in path or radiance, he orchestrated the death of every member of the royal family and personally assassinated the king of daien to ensure his claim to the throne despite being regarded as having no chance of getting the throne due to being a very minor member of the royal family (like 13th in line minor), not to mention that he is the antithesis of elencia creating a villain for a secondary protagonist that in unrelated to the main protagonist, in fact there are several times where it is stated that Ike agrees with him on his views that people should be able to decide their place in the world themselves. His goals don't even end with taking over the world, his greatest desire is to create a world where a person's strength and will to do whatever accomplishes their goals decides their status which ties into his backstory being someone who had no chance at the throne due to the circumstances of his birth and then through sheer strength, will, and some cleverness took the throne. I understand that he may come across as an obvious mcevil badderson, but his ideology makes him stand out a great deal more than any tragic backstory would. There is a place for villains who are irredeemable, and I think that ashnard is one of if not the best example of this.

2 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Like really tell me ONE difference between Ashnard and Garon, like they could be the same person.

Ashnaed has some presence as an intimidating Villain and is more commited in being a crazy warmonger. 

I see Ashnard as a vastly inferior Luca Blight instead: Luca is more "love to hate", more formidable as an opponent, more insane and in general a better villain, but Ashnard still work. Garon rely too much on his incompetent general(having Hans job on his first appearence killed the character for me, i just could not see him as a threat. At least Petrine jobbed againist a legendary warrior.) And everything that could give him depth or presence belong to Dead Garon and not Slime King Garon. 

That said, imo Radiant Dawn is far worse than PoR. Storywise, it has the Conquest-tier Blood Pact and try to cram way too much stuff in a single game. Characterwise, the newcomer have little depth and many older characters are worse than they were in PoR. I really hate how they used the blood pact to justify Naesala, wich was a far more interesting character when he did bad things on his own volition.

Gameplaywise, 80% of the cast is either bad or terribly outclassed, and the game constantly give you units that are underlevelled or just have terrible stats. The maps would be far more enjoyable if more than 3 characters could be used. And while the large yellow armies are cool to watch, they makes every turn last way too long. 

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Well....when you put it like that, I guess I could see how those two would be different. And I do agree that not every villain needs to have some kind of tragic backstory. A villain could be just straight up evil and still be a fun one. I still do wish we learned more about him as a person though, like other than him being a mad king who would go as far as to kill his own family to become a king, we really...don't know that much else about him?I think that's my biggest problem with his character honestly is that it feels very bare bones, but I won't deny that his impact on the story is far more interesting than Garon.  

Edit: Also now that someone brought up the blood pact....I feel like talking about it lol.

I think I'm one of the few people here that...don't hate it? Is it a plot device? Maybe, but I think what makes it good and what makes it so different than how things went down in Conquest is that people tried to fight against it if that makes sense. They didn't just go with it like in FE14, but instead they tried to find a way to break the blood pact. Also imo seeing characters so conflicted about joining a war they didn't want to be apart of was very interesting, and it gave us some really good battle dialogue that I'm sure most people that played FE10 missed sadly. So yes while it might had been a "plot device" of some sort, I still don't think it ruined FE10's story as some people believe. So really I like to focus on what we got from the blood pact instead of focusing on it.

Edited by Rose482

3 hours ago, Rose482 said:

This post sums up my views on BK perfectly. I wasn't real big on him in PoR because we didn't get to know much about him beyond being the mysterious Daein general whose identity is unknown and for some reason having a beef with Greil. RD made me like him lots more and now he's one of my favorite video game antagonists.

3 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

honestly I really find it weird that no one else ever considers that when zelgius is the black knight he may be putting on an act or just letting loose in ways he can't generally get away with due to his status, I too like what they did with zelgius in 10.

4 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I actually think it might be the other way around. Zelgius is putting on an act as Begnion's general while the Black Knight is who he truly is. Its the unmasked version of him that's the one actually putting up the mask. 

Whenever the stances of the Black Knight and Zelgius clash its always the Black Knight persona that comes out on top. Zelgius most definitely wants to avoid taking a life but when the Black Knight needs his ego validated then he has no issue murdering Greil. As Zelgius he's the professional soldiers who feels they should just take orders from their superiors and keep their own opinions to themselves. However when one of those superiors dares to mock the man the Black Knight chose as his master then Zelgius starts to strangle said superior. And even at the very end Zelgius dies in a way that embraces the warrior philosophy of the Black Knight and not the professional soldier approach he uses as Zelgius, also dying in service of Sephiran who's the master of the Black Knight rather than dying for the Begnion which Zelgius serves. 

I think its a very interesting take but sadly I suspect its more my headcanon then something the game is actually trying to do. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Path of Radiance is really unpolished, both in the gameplay and graphical departments. Hell, some of the playable cast don't even get their own unique in-game character model, which screams laziness on the part of IS. The story is forgettable and generic, and Chapter 27 is the worst chapter I've ever played in the series to date. In fact, the one and only reason I play PoR from time to time is if and when I want stat bonuses for certain units in RD. So yeah, in my opinion, Radiant Dawn is the vastly superior game.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Path of Radiance is really unpolished, both in the gameplay and graphical departments. Hell, some of the playable cast don't even get their own unique in-game character model, which screams laziness on the part of IS. The story is forgettable and generic, and Chapter 27 is the worst chapter I've ever played in the series to date. In fact, the one and only reason I play PoR from time to time is if and when I want stat bonuses for certain units in RD. So yeah, in my opinion, Radiant Dawn is the vastly superior game.

Wow... Um... Interesting opinion. I think it is kind of odd that you say the story is forgettable and generic when most people would say that this game shines solely in the story, however, the story is unbelievably stellar. In fact, I'd say it is probably the most unique/least generic story in the whole series. I am kind of curious what reasons make you detest the story so much?

Radiant dawn is the more ambitious game, but I feel it was rushed and the pacing is off.  Its potential is much greater but despite that IMO Path of Radiance ends up being the more enjoyable and consistent experience. 

2 hours ago, KevinskyHaaz said:

In fact, I'd say it is probably the most unique/least generic story in the whole series.

Not sure how you can come to this conclusion. PoR's presentation is good, but its story beats overall are very standard. RD is the one that actually tries to do something unique. Conquest, for as bad as it is, is still more unique than PoR.

6 hours ago, Rose482 said:

I think I'm one of the few people here that...don't hate it? Is it a plot device? Maybe, but I think what makes it good and what makes it so different than how things went down in Conquest is that people tried to fight against it if that makes sense. They didn't just go with it like in FE14, but instead they tried to find a way to break the blood pact. Also imo seeing characters so conflicted about joining a war they didn't want to be apart of was very interesting, and it gave us some really good battle dialogue that I'm sure most people that played FE10 missed sadly. So yes while it might had been a "plot device" of some sort, I still don't think it ruined FE10's story as some people believe. So really I like to focus on what we got from the blood pact instead of focusing on it.

Agreed. The Blood Pact never bothered me. Maybe if it had been a quick little "Hey we want Daein to fight against Ike again" it would have felt bad, but they integrated it into the lore well, using it to explain how Ashnard suddenly came to power and why Naesala would constantly turn traitor even though he seemed like it wasn't something he would normally want to do. Even though one could certainly call Pelleas naive, his choice comes off as believable since he was ultimately betrayed by the man who raised him, Izuka.

Gotta give it to Path of Radiance. The writing and story are overall better to me, it does a much better job with its characters and the story surrounding them. Radiant Dawn has better art by a slight margin, though, and while it does try to do more with its gameplay, the unreasonably absurd difficulty really mars a lot of it.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

RD certainly tried to do more with BK than POR. I just don't think it works out. The shift towards a more sympathetic Black Knight makes him a bit schizophrenic and makes him more of a scumbag then he would otherwise have been. 

Black Knight in Radiant Dawn: ''I strive not to take a life if I can avoid it and I'm the last true knight'' 

Black Knight in Path of Radiance:  *Kills Greil just to find out if he can* ''That's a nice daughter you have. Now do as I say or I am going to torture her''

Those things.....don't really match. Radiant Dawn tries really hard to make the Black Knight come off as noble but it also firmly establishes that the reason he killed Greil was solely to satisfy his own ego. He says he doesn't take a life if it can be avoided but according to Sephiran killing Greil could absolutely have been avoided. POR also implied the Black Knight had a certain grudge against Greil but Radiant Dawn denies any ill will between the two exists. The plot really drives home how noble Zelgius is while simultaneously revealing his motive to be incredibly petty and not showing this as a bad thing. 

But your post overlooks all the strengths that Zelgius had in RD, particularly in part 3 such as intelligence, charisma that he was kind of lacking in PoR. At least he was strong and badass in both games. Sure if we only look at the negatives of RD and positives of PoR, your argument holds. I found Zelgius to be a more competent enemy, in non strength areas in RD, than in PoR. For example, we see how he is able to take advantage of Skrimir's hot headedness to foil Soren's plan in chapter 3-5 and was also part of the reason why the laguz alliance's initial plan in attacking the supply depot failed. In PoR, he just waited until Ike was strong enough and didn't really command the army and lacked pro activeness. 

Zelgius not being consistent in both games is a mark against both games writing. It's certainly not just a mark against just RD while PoR doesn't get criticized for it. 

I also never found the blood pact to be a big problem for RD. It's not great but it's fine. Actually the only things about RD that I don't like is in its gameplay how it handled mastery skills, and Laguz transformations. Still my choice will always be PoR. PoR's animations are very clunky, but that has its charm imo. What makes PoR win is its simplicity and the way it handled world building.

Also, about the black knight, am I the only one who think he did not mean to kill Greil in PoR? I think he thought Greil would be able to block him, but since he did not know Greil had wounded his own swordhand he made a mistake. At this moment he lost his dream of testing his strength against his teacher, and he still had a mission to complete, so he improvised and made some bad decisions. Ike was simply a nuisance for his mission until he found out the boy had a chance to become his father's equal.