Rate the character: Marth

Some topics I’m going to start making. Anyways, basically give a little review of the character and an overall rating. It doesn’t strictly have to be their performance or stats. It can be those and a multitude of other things. What you like, don’t like, etc.

This is Marth from Shadow Dragon only.

Marth is someone I initially never used...and that, was a problem for me. I got sick of the guy dying nonstop and having to restart chapters. So, I invested a lot more time into him. Probably even more than any other unit. He became pretty insane and one of my favorite units. Imo, he’s pretty vital and it makes the tail end of the game a breeze with Falchion in hand. One strategy I’m sure people use is using warp on Marth and having him end the chapter in a couple turns. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever took longer than 3 turns on Endgame.

Unit rating- 10/10

Marth is by far the worst lord I've ever used. He's so bad that I honestly prefer Micaiah over him (and we all know how much I hate Micaiah). At least she has a great magic stat to kill earlygame Horse/Armour units, Marth on the other hand has nothing that even compares to that. 1/10

Oops, I thought this was General FE, however I still stand by what I wrote.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Marth gets utility in the form of the Fire Emblem, is effective against three different enemy types, and still manages to be completely outclassed by someone who has a 20% Strength growth.  Weapon triangle, ladies and gentlemen .  7/10.

6/10

He's an amazing character, but as a unit he leaves a lot to be desired. If you're playing H5 he needs a Rapier forge to be any good at combat for a long while, and has to compete with his girlfriend's Wing Spear for the chapter 4 forge. I would argue that having Prf village visiting is negative utility since it separates him from the action, and you're only giving him the boots because you have to with all that walking he needs to do (Warp not withstanding). With the Rapier investment he's better than Roy, sure, but without it he might be even worse.

He protecc,

And he also attacc,

But more importantly, he want his kingdom bacc.

I like him as a character, but as a unit he can get really bad really quickly if the level up RNG hates you. 7/10

Marth is my favorite character in the Archanea games, and I use him a good amount as a unit. He has utility and he can end the final chapter in just a couple turns with relative ease. As a character, he's I guess maybe a 10/10 as far as Archanea characters go, and a 8-9/10 as a unit.

As a character, he's great. As a unit, not so much mainly due to him being sword locked in a lance heavy game and foot locked even though it's his responsibility to get to villages and seize. He also can't promote or reclass so that stinks (and those extra 10 levels he can get mean nothing since how many people actually get any character in SD to level 30 without arena abuse?). However he does have utility in the fact he's a third thief that can open chests (and you kinda have to use him if you wanna beat Endgame quickly or you're not warp abusing). Overall, I would say 7/10.

Going off of his SD version. His one job is going to towns and thrones. That's what his high movement stat is for. Also using the Fire Emblem for thief stuff. Can't reclass, doesn't promote (promo gains) and is locked to swords (doesn't have a generic 1-2 range option like hand axes/javelins and at a constant disadvantage against the most commonly used weapon type in the game). Not that good bases and growths. They're okay, but how often is he really going to fight to put them to use?

2/5: Does thief stuff and visits towns. Maybe 2.5 if I'm being generous

While it comes at the expense at other characters his development through out Shadow Dragon is amazing, he has become my favorite lord strictly from how he changes through the course of the game. It's a shame he had to be changed, and while the current Marth has it's own Merits, It still suck that what we got in Shadow Dragon will never be repeated.

As a unit I like him being decently weak because I try to connect the story and gameplay as much as I can when I play games, so picture him as the determined leader who wants rallies everyone to take his country back and defeat Gharnef and Medeus while he let's renowned warriors such as Hardin and Minerva do the heavy lifting in terms of combat.

10/10 for his Character, and the fitting unit that he is.

can use rapiers to deal with both armored and horseback units, has the Falchion for dragon units, can counter enemies with magic swords, and since consumable stats-boosting items can be used to deal with the lower growth rates, he can be boosted to the max as much as any other unit. the only downpoint is mobility. 9/10.

Edited by Fenreir

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Shadow Dragon but he was a really good unit in New Mystery. Upfront, he does need some work, but once he's got some Leveling and investment in him, he was probably my 3rd or 4th best Sword user (after my Avatar, Navarre, and Athena) and became quite reliable in the Endgame~

8/10

My most recent experience with Marth is in FE1. Dude's pretty amazing in that game specifically. The Rapier is one of the most common items in shops, and he's got two other personal weapons. He's also the prince of thieves, being able to pop open chests like that. In the DS remake, the convoy can be loaded with purchaseable door keys that Marth can slip in and out of his inventory as a free action in order to do Julian's job for him. FE1 Marth is easily high tier among playable lords in the series. Shadow Dragon Marth is...not very close, though I owe that to how much better the other units have become due to altered gameplay mechanics and access to reclassing.

I can see now this thread only cares about the Shadow Dragon version, so I'll rate him a 4 out of 10. Or exactly half what I would rate him in the first game.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been pretty long since i last played shadow dragon, and i have mostly heard negative things about him, but for some reason a lot of people seem to hate lords. On Normal to H3 i think he's actually really good if you're not LTCing, his stats are pretty okay and the rapier is pretty amazing, but being swordlocked isn't all that nice and he has no mount as well as iffy bases. 7 or 8/10 for sure. H4 or 5 he does not look good though. His stats just aren't outstanding enough to be able to contribute a lot as a unit without a good weapon type, mount or promotion (Though that last one kinda works in his favor) and the rapier is bad unless it's forged, and the wing spear is probably a better use of these ressources. 4/10 AT MOST, if we don't count visiting villages or recruiting a lot of characters

Edited by MrMinus