Worst Game You Have Ever Finished

Ilboss

This got me thinking for a while..Hm...

Well, there are way worst games out there that I played, but the only ones that I seemΒ to recall now are Crappy PS2 games.

Especially ''Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses''. I was young, had nothing better to do and had 2 sisters.

The game isn't Bad-Bad, but it literally made me crash my head to the ground and think about my live choices. Good thing it only costed me 2 days and a talk with my dad to make a 100% file.

Finishing bad games is only really something you do either if you're too poor to afford a lot of games or if you're some kind of content creator.Β  And even in the case of the former, information is so widely available nowadays that most kids nowadays won't have the same issues kids back in the 90's, 80's, and the turn of the millennium did of having to rely on word-of-mouth and magazine subscriptions that may not even cover every game that ever comes out.

Anyway, I did technically complete two awful games in the PS2 era.Β  The first was the Simpsons' Skateboarding game - only reason I played it was because I didn't have the vastly superior Tony Hawk's Underground games yet.Β  I believe I completed the game with either Homer or Bart, but it was hell the whole time.Β  And the other game, funnily enough, was another skateboarding game; the horribly neutered PS2 version of Tony Hawk's Project 8.Β  Didn't get the top spot in that game, but I'd consider it "technically completed" as soon as you get into the top 8 because, you know, Project 8 and all.Β  On top of that game just not living up to the glory of the older Tony Hawk games, it had some of the funnest mechanics (like the open world and the ragdolling) completely cut out.Β  And, for whatever reason, they removed the female and surfer dude custom character presets; those who wanted to create a female character were completely out of luck.

There were also Call of Duty: Ghosts and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PS3.Β  CoD:G singleplayer was a cookie-cutter Call of Duty story that was just as uninspired as I thought it'd be, I only got the game to play it with friends (who dropped it not even a month after I got it).Β  AC:AH isn't a game everyone would consider the worst ever, but it was my least favorite Ace Combat game; they essentially made the story more like the boring Call of Duty kind where it's just "Americans versus evil Russians with the Middle East involved", and I didn't like the mechanics pissing on the idea of normal dogfighting (it was literally just "press button to get behind enemy").Β  Also wasn't a fan of Assassins Creed 3, which is probably the game where the series was starting to show its cracks.

I guess I'll count Soulcalibur V as well.Β  God, I hated that story.Β  Why does that sibling pair seem like they want to bang?Β  It's just... ugh, I never want to play that story ever again, or to ever see Patroklos and Pyrrha (I think that's how it's spelled?) again (apart from as kids, I guess).Β  For whatever flak SC VI may get (though I don't actually know if people generally really like it or not), it at least went back to the cast I came to know and love in the previous games.Β  It helps that one of my mains, Seong Mi-Na, returned, and another one, Cassandra, seems set to return in DLC (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Anything else I've played the whole way through and had mixed opinions on wasn't as bad as the ones I've listed.Β  Or they were so bad that I forgot about them completely due to my brain attempting to erase the trauma.Β  Maybe list Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes just because it's a glorified, over-priced demo.

Most memorable bad game - Cookies and Cream - marketed as a kiddie game, developed early in From Software's career. It's supposed to be a game that a child can play co-op with a non-gamer parent, but it requires the two charathers to synch up way too precisely to work that way.. It's much more playable with the control scheme that gives one player control of both charathers, but even that requires a lot of dexterity since you are watching both sides of a split screen. Terrible hit boxes, and enemies that will combo you to death from full health. It tries to use a timer based health, but unlike (Yoshi's island etc) this makes the game harder instead of easier... it's easy to get booted out of a stage for running out of time. Finaly the cutesy kiidie graphics and sound effects exist to taunt you for having a hard time with the game. And the stage select theme involves bleating animals>< I hate is but I'm drawn to this and have finished like 4 times with a different co-op partner every time.

Most disappointing bad game - Evil Genius -Β  I wanted to love it since it has the rare semi-city builder/RTS hybridΒ  with independent acting NPCs … and it's themeing is godlike. BUt it's on the bad end of "cheese or be cheesed" it ramps up too fast and hard to have fun with, and once you know how to "solve it" you are railroaded into busy work anyway instead of getting to try what you want and have fun.

Most hated bad game - Shozo Kaga's arthouse anti-strategy RPG

Β 

Β 

Can't really say i finished it because it isn't that kind of game butΒ Pac-Man FeverΒ for the PS2. It's Namco Mario Party but without the fun. All of the mini-games are reskins of each other, the boards are lazily designed and there's only three. There's no turns, it's just one straight line race to the finish but that doesn't matter because who actually wins comes down to chance. The one time i played the game, i was in last the whole time but i still one because i was the only one who got past the roulette at the end of the board. It's stupid.

Hum...Super Thunder Blade for the Sega Genesis maybe? Awful game. No point to attacking enemies, and even if you did want to have fun with it, your shots look just like the shots coming at you, it's impossible to tell what you're supposed to avoid as you circle strafe the entire game. But I guess it's over fast enough. I'd rather play a bad game that's just an hour or two long, then play a boring game that is full length. Disney's the Little Mermaid II on PS1 also fits the bill. Just an hour of holding circle and right.Β Earthbound Beginnings was alsoΒ pretty bad but is of course a full length RPG. It's basically Earthbound's same basic plot and characters but much grindier, much worse mechanics,Β and with much less dialogue and humor. There isn't a reason to play this game when Earthbound exists and you won't hear me arguing that game holds up very well either.Β 

4 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i beat the bureau xcom declassified and to this day i haven't been able to justify to myself why i did

I have also played this blatant Mass Effect 2 clone. I could think of worse games to rip off though.

Perhaps not the worst game since I once tried to beat the entire NES collection but the Last Guardian comes to mind. I understand some of the praise the game gets for certain of it's best elements but it does not come close to amount to a good game to me. It is a really bad game that I couldn't possibly personally recommend.Β 

I've rarely been so frustrated by unresponsive AIs and awful character and camera controls.Β 

However, when I buy a gameΒ I usually finish it.Β 

Β 

Edited by Vince777

I generally only finished genuinely terrible games out of morbid obligation to otherwise good series they're part of. And nowadays even that isn't enough. So I'd have to say the worst game I ever finished is Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. It's a labyrinth of terrible combat and tedious backtracking so bad that not even playing it with a friend and wanting to complete my igavania marathon could motivate me to beat it againΒ after my absurdly patient teenage self managed it.

On a more serious note, I usually never finish games I consider bad. Then again, I usually luck out when it comes to games I'm interested in, so I'm usually spared the real crap, but there have been some games I disliked over the years, yet I finished them.
Here's a short list in no particular order:

• PokΓ©mon Pearl (excrutiatingly slow gameplay, mostly terrible creature designs, annoying to boring battle music (with some exceptions, though you only get to hear them once or twice), regional Dex doesn't even have every new PokΓ©mon in it - yet I filled the National Dex and had every single PokΓ©mon physically available)
  • Fire Emblem Fates (this one doesn't need an explanation, I believe)
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (in a sense, I didn't exactly finish this one. I just beat the story once before I gave up. The dungeon design SUCKS, the story is interesting, but the characters are bleh (with one exception, which doesn't even appear that often), the final bosses are textbook Bullshit Difficulty. I expected more from an SMT game with Etrian Odyssey-like gameplay.)
  • PokΓ©mon Omega Ruby (Revisting Hoenn was nice, because Gen 3 used to be my favorite until 5 came along, but all the new stuff was so obviously tacked on, it's not even funny. Delta Episode utterly sucked until the final act, Mega Evolution wasn't even that great a concept to begin with, so retconning its already questionable origin story was a stupid move on the same level as the Fates kids. But, again, I completed the National Dex and I now have every single final evolution (even some that used to be that, like Rhydon or Tangela) at level 100).
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory (A good game to be sure, way better than any mainline PokΓ©mon game in my humble opinion, but it lacks some things the first CS did absolutely right. The story has several gaping holes and the supporting characters aren't as likeable as the ones in the first one. I don't outright hate the game, though).

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I have also played this blatant Mass Effect 2 clone. I could think of worse games to rip off though.

honestly i don't think it's the worst game i've ever chugged through, but it's the one that came to mind

Β 

mostly the lack of reasonable weapon balance, dodgy controls, tiny ammo pools, and (especially as the game went on) massive enemy hp pools made the whole game just a goddamn chore to play

Β 

early on i couldn't ever justify not picking the springfield (love the gun as i do!) as one of my two, and the other weapon was extremely 'a backup for when i've killed ten to fifteen aliens with headshots without finding an ammo cache'; later on i almost kept using the damn springfield because i just didn't like the laser sniper, whatever it was called. then you get all the psionics and they're flagrantly stronger than run n' gunning, and the encounters adjust, and then everything becomes a blow cooldowns -> wait for all of them to come back -> wait fiesta, while still picking for exclusively headshots.

Β 

god i hated the final third of that game.

Β 

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

I finished Final Fantasy III on the DS, out of obligation.

i am so sorry for your loss

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Earthbound Beginnings was alsoΒ pretty bad but is of course a full length RPG. It's basically Earthbound's same basic plot and characters but much grindier, much worse mechanics,Β and with much less dialogue and humor. There isn't a reason to play this game when Earthbound exists and you won't hear me arguing that game holds up very well either.Β 

Did I just hear someone talk crap about my favorite Mother game

Seriously, for me it's EarthBound Beginnings > EarthBound > Mother 3

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:
  • PokΓ©mon Pearl (excrutiatingly slow gameplay, mostly terrible creature designs, annoying to boring battle music (with some exceptions, though you only get to hear them once or twice), regional Dex doesn't even have every new PokΓ©mon in it - yet I filled the National Dex and had every single PokΓ©mon physically available)

Never played Pearl, but Platinum is one of my favorite Pokemon games.

Hmmmm.....I would say the most recent game that I played and hatedΒ is.....

Tales of EterniaΒ 

And I think that's it, although I sure would have had a longer list if this was about stories that I read instead of games that I have finished.Β 

Edited by Rose482

Good question. Its harder to answer then I thought since I generally don't finish games I would classify as being ''the worst''. I usually just go to better games.Β 

I'm guessing Fable 3? I definitely finished it and it definitely never stopped being extremely mediocre at best.

Zelda Wind Waker. I really couldn't stand the sailing, the lack of dungeons,Β how simple the few there wereΒ were and the fetch quest at the end. Didn't have even a little bit of fun playing it, and just finished because of the fact I'm a pretty big Zelda fan. Wasn't even a fan of the exploring, which is basically spending five minutes sailing to find a small island with barely anything in it. I actually think even TP did exploring better, since it had some pretty neat mini dungeons hidden in its world, and there was at least some user imput while moving, unlike in Wind Waker where you only wait for the wind to (slowly) move your boat.

The game is the epitome of that famous Miyamoto quote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad". It was really rushed and it shows.

Edited by Nobody