Worst Game You Have Ever Finished

Ilboss

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Did I just hear someone talk crap about my favorite Mother game

Seriously, for me it's EarthBound Beginnings > EarthBound > Mother 3

I know opinions are a thing but honestly what do you see in EBB over Mom 3 

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

• Fire Emblem Fates (this one doesn't need an explanation, I believe)

I know hating on Farts is the cool thing to do but what about it gave it the honor of being worst game you finished beyond being edgy? Even if the story is Hot Garbo in all 3 routes, there's other stuff there, namely decent gameplay and great music.

I went and finished Sonic 06 at least 4 times because I had no standards when I was younger, otherwise sometimes I find it hard to finish games I actually enjoy, much less actively hate. 

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby (Revisting Hoenn was nice, because Gen 3 used to be my favorite until 5 came along, but all the new stuff was so obviously tacked on, it's not even funny. Delta Episode utterly sucked until the final act, Mega Evolution wasn't even that great a concept to begin with, so retconning its already questionable origin story was a stupid move on the same level as the Fates kids. But, again, I completed the National Dex and I now have every single final evolution (even some that used to be that, like Rhydon or Tangela) at level 100).

I honestly think most of the new additions while tacked on actually made the experience more fun (though to be fair, I didn't play Gen 3 until after 4 (hence why I never cared much for it to begin with) and Y had been such a boring game that this was a big step up). Like, the eon flute was the most tacked on shit (Like, why are we just handed an eon legendary?), but it was dumb enough fun and the idea of finding legendaries was neat (Though I think finding out how to find them in game would have been so much better), the new pokeradar was one of my favourite things it added, a retcon to possibly the worst games is something I can tolerate and Delta as a whole was alright. The battle maison was a mistake though, muh frontier or muh life.

As for Pearl, I got it with my DS. I lost it on holiday and I have to say I was right to wait for Platinum, so much better.

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

i am so sorry for your loss

I would say this too and it is by far the weakest where you can freely change class, but thank fuck it didn't base itself off FFII (Which I would count for sure if I could manage to hypnotise myself badly enough to actually play it ever again).

Anything else to add? I mean, I tend to quit the crap ones. X/Y would still be a cop out, so I guess I'll cop out on a definitive answer.

21 minutes ago, Draco said:

I know hating on Farts is the cool thing to do but what about it gave it the honor of being worst game you finished beyond being edgy? Even if the story is Hot Garbo in all 3 routes, there's other stuff there, namely decent gameplay and great music.

i'm with this dude. the story is Hot Fucking Garbage but birthright and conquest are some of the more enjoyable fires emblem to play, ignoring the castle mechanics. there is plenty of fun to be had in them.

If we're just talking about games that we didn't like but still played all the way instead of just the absolute worst thing we've ever played to completion, then i'm gonna list some more stuff here.

• Pikmin 3: This was honestly just a very uninteresting experience. Sure, seeing a post-apocalyptic Earth from the perspective of ant-sized humans is cool in concept but in the case of Pikmin, it just felt like a gimmick. The gameplay itself wasn't all that great either. I mean, it wasn't bad but i didn't really enjoy the game at all.
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf: Like Pac-Man Fever, this isn't really a game you play to completion but good God, Animal Crossing has to be one of the most boring games out there and the upcoming New Horizons doesn't seem like it's gonna be any better. Though they don't play exactly the same, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory and other similar games are much better versions of Animal Crossing.
  • Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War: *inhales* aw shit, here we go again. The gameplay is an absolute mess. Huge maps are garbage, balance is non-existent, mounted units are better than grounded ones in most cases (and yeah, other games have that but it's at it's worse in FE4), questionable design in general and Sigurd is extremely overrated, i actually think he's worse than Corrin. The only good aspects of FE4 were the Arenas and the Weapon Repair Shops. 

51 minutes ago, Draco said:

I know opinions are a thing but honestly what do you see in EarthBound Beginnings over Mother 3 

Well, auto-battle is one thing.  The Megami Tensei series has kind of spoiled me there.  Both of the first two Mother games had it, so it was a nasty surprise for me to discover Mother 3 had done away with it, making battles more of a chore to play through.  Why they ditched auto-battle I still cannot figure out for the life of me.

I was also not a fan of Mother 3's combo attack system.  I was able to get just as good results by mindlessly mashing the attack button than I would trying to press it to the beat of the background music.

I also just generally have a stronger preference for earlier games in a series for whatever reason, even if the sequels genuinely improve.  EarthBound Beginnings's aesthetics simply appeal to me more than Mother 3's.  Its soundtrack also happens to be my favorite of all time, with the Factory and Magicant music being the big standouts.  And to top it off, EarthBound Beginnings holds far more nostalgic value for me as it was the first video game I ever played with an emulator.

You're free to call my reasons for liking EarthBound Beginnings more than Mother 3 stupid.  But they're my reasons, and I'm sticking to them.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Confusing level design where important items blend into the background. Several times I was spending hours trying to find a key to the next area only to find out that it was right in front of me. There is no sense of weight from a minotaur wielding a club to a dwarf having a dagger somehow felt the same. The only reason I completed from start to end was that it was a gift from one of the cousins.

Homefront: The idea that North Korea can take control of the United States is absurd. A Call of Duty clone without much of the spectacle that makes those game enjoyable. It was so linear that game overs happened when I strayed from the path by 10 feet. The only thing good about it was I got it for free.

I know a lot of people disagree with me here, but: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask. The dungeons are a little linear, the game is 90% OoT reused stuff, Way to short for my tastes, the  Mask gimmick wasn't that well handled to me, and the sidequests were mostly just stand around and wait for specific time to elapse. I know you can do other things in the mean time, but odds are that most sidequests don't end up happening at the same time anyways. And as for the reused well... pretty much everything, people can try to tell me "oh, but it's a sequel!" But that's an excuse to say that it's really just OoT with edits.

Edited by lightcosmo

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

Can't really say i finished it because it isn't that kind of game but Pac-Man Fever for the PS2. It's Namco Mario Party but without the fun. All of the mini-games are reskins of each other, the boards are lazily designed and there's only three. There's no turns, it's just one straight line race to the finish but that doesn't matter because who actually wins comes down to chance. The one time i played the game, i was in last the whole time but i still one because i was the only one who got past the roulette at the end of the board. It's stupid.

Similar story, only I had that game for the GameCube rather than the PS2. I agree that it was really bad. In facr; had you not mentioned it, I probably would've completely forgotten it and said something like Fire Emblem Fates - Revelation or something like that. 

18 hours ago, Draco said:

Beyond the garbage story, there is my seething dislike for nearly every single story-important character, music-wise, the Conquest map themes are not that great to me (some of them are really, REALLY annoying after a while, and there is that one song that I got tired of hearing after the second time it showed up - you know the one), the gameplay was alright, I guess, but if that's the only thing the game has going for it, ESPECIALLY if it's an RPG, where - to me - story and characters are more important than gameplay, then I'm inclined to say it's not very good.
Going further into my thoughts on gameplay: Revelations maps were terrible with no exception, Conquest's mid- to lategame was filled to the brim with annoying bullshit on top of having easily the most infuriatingly stupid plot out of all three paths, and Birthright is perhaps slightly better than Awakening in terms of map design.
That's not even talking about the terrible implementation of the child units. At least Awakening had a plot-related reason for having them (whether or not it's a good reason is up for debate, I'd say yes, but YMMV).

Also, I'm exclusively calling Fates "Farts" now.

18 hours ago, Dayni said:

I honestly think most of the new additions while tacked on actually made the experience more fun (though to be fair, I didn't play Gen 3 until after 4 (hence why I never cared much for it to begin with) and Y had been such a boring game that this was a big step up). Like, the eon flute was the most tacked on shit (Like, why are we just handed an eon legendary?), but it was dumb enough fun and the idea of finding legendaries was neat (Though I think finding out how to find them in game would have been so much better), the new pokeradar was one of my favourite things it added, a retcon to possibly the worst games is something I can tolerate and Delta as a whole was alright. The battle maison was a mistake though, muh frontier or muh life.

Ironically, the eon flute was the one new thing I didn't mind, because I didn't have to waste a slot on Fly.

My biggest problem with X and Y is that their story and worldbuilding felt so unfinished. There are concepts introduced, but nothing is ever really done with them. It's severely lacking in substance. On the flipside, Gen VI did so many QoL improvements that I don't want to go back to older games (EXP Share, EV training easier than ever through hordes etc.).
X and Y also offered a huge selection of Pokémon to choose from, which, combined with the improved EXP share, finally made it fun to try out many different teams and team combinations, because it effectively cut down the time spent grinding by six.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My biggest problem with X and Y is that their story and worldbuilding felt so unfinished. There are concepts introduced, but nothing is ever really done with them. It's severely lacking in substance. On the flipside, Gen VI did so many QoL improvements that I don't want to go back to older games (EXP Share, EV training easier than ever through hordes etc.).
 X and Y also offered a huge selection of Pokémon to choose from, which, combined with the improved EXP share, finally made it fun to try out many different teams and team combinations, because it effectively cut down the time spent grinding by six.

I will say, that's probably the reason I got through it (Being able to try out so many was a clear benefit in its favour), because it wasn't for the challenging fights. Horde battles did drive me mad when I just wanted to get from place to place, so I'm not surprised that they weren't really focused on afterwards. It's like X/Y's engine just needed a better region and better designed battles (I didn't use Mega Evolution once. I was never overlevelled, so it wasn't me being 10 levels above).

In hindsight, I would still recommend this the least of the 3DS Pokemon titles.

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Ironically, the eon flute was the one new thing I didn't mind, because I didn't have to waste a slot on Fly.

Still tacked on though. 😛

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

the game is 90% OoT reused stuff

To be fair, the game was only given one year. Plus, Termina is supposed to be a parallel version of Hyrule. So having the same-looking NPCs made sense.

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

And as for the reused well... pretty much everything, people can try to tell me "oh, but it's a sequel!" But that's an excuse to say that it's really just OoT with edits.

Hard disagree on Majora's Mask being "OoT with edits". The game feels too different, even with the reused NPC models, for it to just be that. A Link Between Worlds, as much as i like that game, is actually just A Link to the Past with edits.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

the gameplay was alright, I guess, but if that's the only thing the game has going for it, ESPECIALLY if it's an RPG, where - to me - story and characters are more important than gameplay, then I'm inclined to say it's not very good.

See, i kinda agree but also disagree. On one hand, an RPG should have good writing. It's why i don't bother with Kingdom Hearts, despite the actual gameplay of that series looking fun. On the other hand, if the gameplay is absolute trash, i'm just gonna watch the cutscenes. That's what i did with Xenosaga Episode II. Everything about that game was great except the gameplay and the gameplay was so bad i stopped halfway and just watched the remaining cutscenes.

There needs to be a balance. It can tip over in either direction but if it tips over in one direction too much, it just falls apart. 

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

I will say, that's probably the reason I got through it (Being able to try out so many was a clear benefit in its favour), because it wasn't for the challenging fights. Horde battles did drive me mad when I just wanted to get from place to place, so I'm not surprised that they weren't really focused on afterwards. It's like X/Y's engine just needed a better region and better designed battles (I didn't use Mega Evolution once. I was never overlevelled, so it wasn't me being 10 levels above).

In hindsight, I would still recommend this the least of the 3DS Pokemon titles.

We're pretty much on the same page here. Horde battles are purely there for EV training purposes and shiny hunting. Every shiny I got in Gen VI was from a horde I found while EV training my guys, with the exception of my Masuda-method Geodude and one or two I got by fishing (Feebas and Corphish.

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

Still tacked on though. 😛

Haha, I didn't deny that!

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

See, i kinda agree but also disagree. On one hand, an RPG should have good writing. It's why i don't bother with Kingdom Hearts, despite the actual gameplay of that series looking fun. On the other hand, if the gameplay is absolute trash, i'm just gonna watch the cutscenes. That's what i did with Xenosaga Episode II. Everything about that game was great except the gameplay and the gameplay was so bad i stopped halfway and just watched the remaining cutscenes.

There needs to be a balance. It can tip over in either direction but if it tips over in one direction too much, it just falls apart. 

For me, good gameplay can't salvage a terrible story with terrible characters, but a good story with good characters can salvage not-as-good gameplay. If the gameplay is utter garbage, then not even the best story in the world can save it.
This is kinda how I felt about Radiant Historia. The story and characters were great, but the gameplay was so dull, I couldn't bring myself to finish the thing.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

To be fair, the game was only given one year. Plus, Termina is supposed to be a parallel version of Hyrule. So having the same-looking NPCs made sense.

Hard disagree on Majora's Mask being "OoT with edits". The game feels too different, even with the reused NPC models, for it to just be that. A Link Between Worlds, as much as i like that game, is actually just A Link to the Past with edits.

Even Fierce Deity, is just Adult Link with the biggoron's sword, how is that not an edit? They could have souped up his attacks, but would rather reuse Adult Link instead. They chose to edit the Kokiri Sword and Hero's shield, why not go all the way then? reused models is only part of the issue, maybe a ton of the enemies as well? And saying it's supposed to be another version of it is just trying to defend it. I mean, c'mon how hard is it for them to edit those, even a tiny bit? It's not as good as a game overall for no reason, the game tried so hard to be OoT, but failed. I'm not a fan of seeing reused things in games, it bugs me. This doesn't apply to just this game, of course, this one it's just very noticeable. I know, i'm one of the "Majora's Mask dislikers" which is a pretty serious deal. Oh well, at least I finished the game.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:04 AM, Draco said:

This is why I like Conquest, because is the first game after Radiant Dawn with actual innovative gameplay.

The bad story does not really matter since the charm of FE is not the story, but the gameplay. 

And I am honest the majority of the parts does not impress me with their story. 

I don't really have many, as I usually ditch them without finishing or ignore them in the first place.

Spirit Tracks would be the closest of all. Zelda gameplay that disallows the majority of buttons to control Link was just awkward compared to OoT and Majora 3DS, and the story was just very meh. I'm sure the Link/Zelda shipping some people pointed out as a highlight would be far better portrayed in Skyward Sword too.

I don't know WHY younger me did this, but I finished Sonic 06 and hated every minute of it.

Everyone knows about how absolutely broken the game is but I powered through all of that; what really made younger me hate the game wasn't the bugs but the extreme loading times.

"Oh hey! This guy has something for me to do, I should talk to him"  Then you talk to him, he says one line of dialogue then BAM loading screen. After 1 minute you finally load in but you're not playing yet, there's another one line of dialogue to read. Okay so gameplay must finally be coming right? NOPE, another 1 minute loading screen. Now the gameplay has begun but oops my hand slipped and I failed; so now I have to load again just to be told I messed up and then another loading screen to return to the main world.

TL;DR: Never play Sonic 06 for the sake of your sanity

• 3 weeks later...

Y'all need to play some more bad games.  Try and top this.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin (Sega CD): A game that uses the driving sections from Batman Returns but as a full game AND weaves what's basically an episode the animated series into it?  How could this be a failure?  Sadly the level design in this game is so bad and tedious it's just an absolute pain to play this.

Alien Resurrection (PS1): Ever wanted to play a Souls game but as an FPS?  Because that's what this game basically is.  And I don't like it at all.  Points to it being supposedly the first game that implemented dualshock FPS controls though.

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP): How well does an Assassin's Creed game play with just one analog stick?  Not very well.  Not a very well optimized game either so that sure doesn't help.

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3): Plays fine and definitely a great looker on the system.  Has everything that was bad about Indigo Prophecy but instead it's wrapped in a prettier package and that's about it.  Story is marginally better than Indigo Prophecy in the same way that The Dark Tower is a better movie than Justice League.

Dual Heroes (N64): Real sad attempt at a fighting game when the '64 didn't have anything to write home about in this genre for a long while.

Independence Day (Sega Saturn): I love the movie too much...

Indigo Prophecy (PC): I'm sure everyone has had that one game where they heard hype surrounding a game for several years only to finally get a chance to play it themselves and then think to themselves, "This is not what it was cracked up to be."  This was that game for me.  Indigo Prophecy is also the example of a game that falls under one of the few video game genres where I would say that it lives and breathes off of its story.  The story in this game was bad it made me realize why David Cage's movie career never took off.

Kidou Senshi Z Gundam: Zenpen Zeta no Kodou and Kouhen Sora wo Kakeru (Sega Saturn): Really sad that these games turned out this way especially after it's predecessor game (simply titled Mobile Suit Gundam) established such a solid formula that could have been built on.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Gamecube): Hey if people can list stuff like Zelda games that normally get universal acclaim, I feel like I'm entitled to have one myself.  Either way, this is probably one game I managed to force myself to beat because the story was actually super interesting and kept me engaged.  Managing to beat this game though made me realize just how much it was I hated the stealth genre.

The Order 1886 (PS4): It's a nice graphical showpiece and an easy platinum... That's about the most I can say about the game we actually have.  There's a lot of potential in this game, but that's really all it has for just an otherwise really lackluster shooter.

The PowerPuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction (N64):  Like the idea of a PowerPuff Girls fighting game?  Sorry to say that there is literally nothing here worth praising even for the most dedicated fan of the franchise.

Sonic the Hedgehog (X360): I have a huge soft spot for the Sonic Adventure gameplay so of course I was going to beat this game.  Technical issues are as bad as people say they are and the loading times are exceptionally irritating.  It sucks too because the base gameplay is siound but it's hampered by so much getting in its way that it's hard to recommend on any level.  It's basically a bad game that I can't bring myself to hate primarily because of nostalgia with a combination of what it does do right in the presentation area.

Splinter Cell Blacklist (WiiU): First and last Splinter Cell game I'll ever play.  Just confirmed that Metal Gear wasn't the only stealth franchise I couldn't stand.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (Gamecube): Basically Sonic '06 before Sonic '06.  And from what I understand the PS2 version is supposed to be even worse than this one.

Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi (PS1): A Soul Calibur Star Wars game?  Amazing!  Sadly the people at LucasArts didn't have a lot of experience making a fighting game and it shows with this one.  Sadly this is probably the only type of game of its kind there ever will be.

Star Wars Rebel Assault 1+2 (Sega CD + PS1):  Like the idea of "playing" a Star Wars movie?  These games will make you wish you never thought of the idea.  There is a reason this genre has fallen into obscurity and not even Star Wars was able to eleavate it.

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins (Wii): Another stealth game that confirmed my hatred of the stealth genre.  I don't even want to play the older ones out of curiosity.

Way too many good games being listed in this topic. Try out Ghostbusters for the NES if you want to know my pain. This was the second game I owned, after Super Mario Bros. and I didn't beat it until college. Ugly, ugly art. The music is an endless, fuzzy, beepy version of the Ghostbusters theme song. The majority of the game is made up of easy & boring activities (don't run out of fuel while driving to your next job!) to grind out money for a period of time until Zuul shows up, and then it gets worse. Remember how they have to walk up the stairs all the way to the top of the building? Here, have a simulation of that, where you have to alternately press A and B to move your legs, while ghosts are flying towards you and if you get touched three times, game over. Also you get knocked over for a frustratingly long time when they touch you and you barely have invincibility frames during it. After you finally sweat your way to the top, you get a boss fight with Zuul and its dog buddies that involves totally different gameplay than anything that came before (and not in a fun or forgiving way). Kill Zuul and you get a disappointing, misspelled ending message and the game goes back to the title screen.

Megaman X6. I didn't know better as a kid.

I also played Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days nearly to its end (I was 3/4ths in the game when it stopped working, maybe for the best), and I actually enjoyed it back then because it was my first KH game and also my introduction to the gameplay of the series. Then I played KH2 and saw how 358/2's gameplay didn't compensate for a lackluster story and very slow plot progression.

Other than that, I guess Apollo Justice counts, although I enjoyed two of its four cases, so...

Edited by Rapier