gamefrig

he's good for:

- stealing money;

- pass down Sol to swordfighters;

- pass down Bargain to healers;

- he's needed to get a secret magic sword;

- he can unlock bridges.

Β 

otherwise, he's good mostly forΒ fighting bandits trying to burn villages. can't do much in actual combat without a magic sword.

Being able to pass money around gives him some nice unique utility. His combat is nearly unsalvageable, though.
In Verdane he already can't hurt anything. And enemies only get more durable from there. You might think he has at least good growths. But he starts with 3 STR. That's 6 whole points less then Alec started with in the previous chapter. And he is already struggling to deal damage. And unlike Alec, Dew can't double attack or use B rank swords. A 40% STR growth just isn't anywhere close to being enough to get him out of hole. Honestly, the fact that they gave him Sol of all things, seems like a cruel joke.
With C rank Swords, magic swords are the only strong weapons he has access to. But even they dealΒ just barely enough damage to feed him kills.Β It still doesn't allow him to properly lay into enemies and actually contribute.

A promotion gives him a ton of good things. Meaty stat boosts, Pursuit and A rank swords. But having to carry him all the way up to level 20 just is no fun. ...nevermind that those are traits that Ayra and Holyn already got at base.
Speaking of, Thief Fighter isn't actually a good combat class either. It's bases are barely any better then those of unpromoted Sword Fighters. Dew basically becomes a 1st tier unit after promotion.

A utility unit that has to fight to do a lot of that utility. He's fairly dodgy, and 40% Str/Skl/Spd/Def are excellent. But hisΒ bases, no horse, and no Pursuit make him very hard to train up to his full combat potential. I like the kid, but I couldn't get him to promote, I couldn't even get JamkeΒ to.

Besides being dodgy, he's also frail, so don't have him bait things that can hit him, because it'll hurt like crazy.Β  If you can convince him to kill enemies, he can pass his gold around.

He also has an amusing conversation with Lachesis, if they get hitched.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A utility unit that has to fight to do a lot of that utility. He's fairly dodgy, and 40% Str/Skl/Spd/Def are excellent. But hisΒ bases, no horse, and no Pursuit make him very hard to train up to his full combat potential. I like the kid, but I couldn't get him to promote, I couldn't even get JamkeΒ to.

Jamke can promote easily if he has proper rings and do all available arenas. the Killer bow is all he really needs, but a Hero bow can help too.

Dew, however, will need an Elite ring for sure, a slim sword and a magic sword in order to reach promotion, and since arenas won't help with that, it's going to be all field training.Β i would suggest to focus onΒ Dew only if you really like the character, because otherwise there's other more useful units that would profit far more from the Elite ring and magic swords in their build.

even Aideen has an easier time leveling up just by healing allies, that should speak forΒ itself i guess.

in terms of being a father, dew is decentish for patty, decentish for larcei/ulster, and decentish for lene (bad for coirpre.) however, all of those have better father choices. However, make sure you keep dew alive, as said above he's pretty useful and makes chapter 4 a lot easier

yeah but bargain isn't worth shitty staff rank and no inherited stuff.. for coirpre, he needs claude to be his father pretty badly to be a good unit imo

18 minutes ago, fiver said:

yeah but bargain isn't worth shitty staff rank and no inherited stuff.. for coirpre, he needs claude to be his father pretty badly to be a good unit imo

it depends on unit priority.

Dew would be better for Leen due to Sol, and eventually Corple for Bargain.Β Claude would be useful only for Corple due to stats and items inheritance.

then again, some people don't even pair Sylvia because they prefer to get Laylea(with Charisma)+access to the Barrier sword and Sharlow(with Paragon)+ access to the Berserk staff.

in the end, it's all a matter of preferences.

8 hours ago, Fenreir said:

Dew would be better for Leen due to Sol, and eventuallyο»Ώ Corple for Bargain.Β Claude would be useful only for Corple due to stats and items inheritance.

Claude!Leen does get one or two things: her better magic means that if you really get stuck with something in the arena she can borrow a magic sword to help her out if that can be helpful (yeah, when's that happening, you reply. And honestly, I don't remember doing so) and her res makes her one of the few consistent options for the Wall of Edda, where her dancing will prove clutch.Β 

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Claude!Leen does get one or two things: her better magic means that if you really get stuck with something in the arena she can borrow a magic sword to help her out if that can be helpful (yeah, when's that happening, you reply. And honestly, I don't remember doing so) and her res makes her one of the few consistent options for the Wall of Edda, where her dancing will prove clutch.Β 

it's alright, i was just speaking about overall utility.

there's people that also like to use Leen as a fighter rather than a dancer(even if there's better units for that). she pretty much fights like a thief, so a Speed ring, Slim sword and/or magic sword should be enough(a Slim sword would be mandatory though, due to Miracle boosting her evasion even further, making her almost untouchable at low HP).

otherwise, the traditional build would be Leg ring+Knight ring in order toΒ follow the main horseback group to support them.