Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm really interested in how both Magic and Combat Arts work in 3H; I find it really interesting how they seem to be counterparts to one another; with each unit seeming to have a learnset when they level up their levels of the specific weapon type; unique to each unit. For example; upon reaching C+ in Axes; Edelgard learns the Monster Breaker Combat Art while Caspar learns the Wild Abandon Combat Art. It will most likely be the exact same levelling both Reason and Faith Magic.

As for the "split" in Reason Magic; I'm pretty sure that both types of Reason magic(Black and Dark) can be learned by levelling the Reason rank; but the type of magic that's focused on in their learnset depends on the unit; for example it seems like Hubert will lean more towards the Dark side of Reason magic while Dorothea looks to be leaning towards the Black side of Reason magic. I'm sure both types will be usable on a unit when the class is able to use Reason magic; it won't be an Awakening/Fates situation where specific dark magic spells are locked on mages that aren't dark mages; but Dark Mages are just mages that just sway to the dark side of Reason, in terms of the class skills granting access to specific dark magic spells.

EDIT: Screw it; let's talk about skills in here too; since they're sorta linked to the Magic system I guess.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really glad that they're bringing Close Counter to the main series games. I just hope it won't be at too high of a rank.

Also, I'm really interested in how the magic system will end up working, and I hope they talk about it more in the next Famitsu. Things like will Faith include light magic, or how different each character's spell list will be. I wonder if everybody will have a unique list, or only people who have a strength in magic. It also seems that "Black Magic" is just Anima, but they're could be other elements we haven't seen yet. Also, I believe the footage we've gotten recently implies that Dorothea doesn't naturally get Fire (or at least not early) while Annette seems to specialize in Wind magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BastienSoul said:

I'm really glad that they're bringing Close Counter to the main series games. I just hope it won't be at too high of a rank.

Also, I'm really interested in how the magic system will end up working, and I hope they talk about it more in the next Famitsu. Things like will Faith include light magic, or how different each character's spell list will be. I wonder if everybody will have a unique list, or only people who have a strength in magic. It also seems that "Black Magic" is just Anima, but they're could be other elements we haven't seen yet. Also, I believe the footage we've gotten recently implies that Dorothea doesn't naturally get Fire (or at least not early) while Annette seems to specialize in Wind magic.

I really hope that Faith encompasses light as well; the Gamespot gameplay shows that Mercedes can attack from 1 and 2 range as a Priest; and since she's wielding an Iron Bow; she must have some sort of offensive magic; as Iron Bows can't attack from 1 range(unless she has a Mini Bow or a one range weapon we don't see); meaning she either has some Reason magic or some offensive Faith magic, but I'm more inclined to believe it's Fire since we've seen Mercedes in the Treehouse footage as a Priest with the Fire spell learned. Doesn't rule it out though it would be odd if Reason magic basically had 2 of the GBA magic types rolled into one magic rank while Faith was just healing and that's it, especially if the magic triangle is back it must be there in some form, we haven't actually seen an Anima(Black) magic user attack a Dark Magic user yet right? But if the weapon triangle isn't back in its innate form I doubt the magic triangle is. 

Maybe the magic triangle works in a similar way to the weapon triangle now where by having leveled your magic rank high enough you get a "breaker" skill which gives you a weapon triangle advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Maybe the magic triangle works in a similar way to the weapon triangle now where by having leveled your magic rank high enough you get a "breaker" skill which gives you a weapon triangle advantage.

Maybe.

Also, I wonder what type of skills Fighting will have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BastienSoul said:

Maybe.

Also, I wonder what type of skills Fighting will have.

I really don't know actually; apart from combat arts I really don't know what they're gonna do Professor Skill wise besides the Profiency level skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HappyHawlucha. said:

I really don't know actually; apart from combat arts I really don't know what they're gonna do Professor Skill wise besides the Profiency level skills.

We know that the Rallies are Professor skills. Assuming its universal, I could see it being something like this:

Str - Axe

Mag - Reason

Dex - Bow

Spd - Sword

Luk - Fighting?

Def - Lance (and maybe Heavy Armor, if it has Professor Skills)

Res - Faith

Cha (if it has one) - Authority

Mov - Riding and Flying (see above)

Of course, it might vary character to character like Combat Arts and Spells do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

We know that the Rallies are Professor skills. Assuming its universal, I could see it being something like this:

Str - Axe

Mag - Reason

Dex - Bow

Spd - Sword

Luk - Fighting?

Def - Lance (and maybe Heavy Armor, if it has Professor Skills)

Res - Faith

Cha (if it has one) - Authority

Mov - Riding and Flying (see above)

Of course, it might vary character to character like Combat Arts and Spells do.

Going off of Annette's skill setup in the Gamespot gameplay it appears that she has Rally Resistance as a Professor Skill; meanwhile Rally Strength appears to be her personal; and given that we've seen Hubert have Rally Magic in his skill setup I have a feeling we may see variable skill learnsets for each unit too - and if this does end up happening as it looks like it will damn they had their work cut out; a specific learnset for each Professor Rank's levels, for each individual character, including Skills AND Spells/Combat Arts??? Jeez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Faith is just healing+support tbh, too much offensive magic makes a mess, I'm fine with just Anima (3 types for flavour if anything) and Dark as offensive spells.

Also looks like spells are learnt both by Reason level and by class (order shouldn't make a difference), in the description for Mage class it says it gets "Fire" which is "unit learns Fire or gets more uses of it if it's already known".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timon said:

I hope Faith is just healing+support tbh, too much offensive magic makes a mess, I'm fine with just Anima (3 types for flavour if anything) and Dark as offensive spells.

Also looks like spells are learnt both by Reason level and by class (order shouldn't make a difference), in the description for Mage class it says it gets "Fire" which is "unit learns Fire or gets more uses of it if it's already known".

It seems that at least a decent number of units get Fire early by levelling Reason; including Byleth and Mercedes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we can kinda gleam that at every non-+ rank, a character gets a spell/combat art (E, D, C, B, A and maybe S (probably tbh) that means everyone will probably have 5 spells/arts to them (since everyone starts at E rank, I doubt everyone will start with a spell/art with the exception of the characters that are magic oriented, so E will be skipped for most. I'm mainly baisng this off Byleth tho and him only getting Fire at D rank) which is pretty much the same amount as mages in SoV (at least for magic). However, since we know a class mastery level exists, I wonder if that means you might get some spells/arts for mastering classes or just levelling them up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Azz said:

Since we can kinda gleam that at every non-+ rank, a character gets a spell/combat art (E, D, C, B, A and maybe S (probably tbh) that means everyone will probably have 5 spells/arts to them (since everyone starts at E rank, I doubt everyone will start with a spell/art with the exception of the characters that are magic oriented, so E will be skipped for most. I'm mainly baisng this off Byleth tho and him only getting Fire at D rank) which is pretty much the same amount as mages in SoV (at least for magic). However, since we know a class mastery level exists, I wonder if that means you might get some spells/arts for mastering classes or just levelling them up?

With every class having 3 skill slots I could totally see each class gaining a unique class skill upon mastering the class; giving classes without any class skills, like Mercenary and Armour Knight a shot. Why else would that mastery function be there, it's not like you must master a class to change into another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, timon said:

I hope Faith is just healing+support tbh, too much offensive magic makes a mess, I'm fine with just Anima (3 types for flavour if anything) and Dark as offensive spells.

Also looks like spells are learnt both by Reason level and by class (order shouldn't make a difference), in the description for Mage class it says it gets "Fire" which is "unit learns Fire or gets more uses of it if it's already known".

I personally think that the more the merrier. I could see Black Magic (Thunder, Fire, Wind), Dark Magic (Darkness), White Magic (Light, Healing).

We might see Light Magic being offensive like the Thani tome, the Book of Naga, Aura or the Seraph spell in Echoes. I would want some ice spells (Blizzard, separated from wind) and earth spells (Brynhildr). Even water spells could be nice. A man can dream.

Edited by KillianVermont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light magic with some offensive skills can be useful for higher level classes like Bishop. Maybe you just have to learn the healing/curing spells first. At the very least it would make leveling up a bit easier for a person you're using as a healing unit. We've even had some attacking Light users before like Lucius in FE7.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember what this specific spell that the enemy uses(I vaguely remember someone saying it's Nosferatu) but it seems to be offensive light magic due to the fact that it's got a white tome icon and is appearing within the battle window when the unit is being attacked.

famitsu-hubert.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is offensive white magic, it will probably only be nosferatu and seraphim like in SoV tbh (even then they were black magic in SoV so...). But I highly doubt there will be much offensive white magic, especially if each character only has 5 or 6 spells available. The only offensive white magic I can see being a thing is status ailments tbh (which is where the White Magic Avoid ability Dorothea gets would come into play).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Azz said:

If there is offensive white magic, it will probably only be nosferatu and seraphim like in SoV tbh (even then they were black magic in SoV so...). But I highly doubt there will be much offensive white magic, especially if each character only has 5 or 6 spells available. The only offensive white magic I can see being a thing is status ailments tbh (which is where the White Magic Avoid ability Dorothea gets would come into play).

No doubt about it there will be more healing spells in the Faith ranks than offensive spells; but we'll definitely get at least 5 or 6 I think. There's no point giving us White Magic Avoid if there's not much White Magic to avoid you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I can't remember what this specific spell that the enemy uses(I vaguely remember someone saying it's Nosferatu) but it seems to be offensive light magic due to the fact that it's got a white tome icon and is appearing within the battle window when the unit is being attacked.

famitsu-hubert.jpg

Yeah, it's "Resire" (Nosferatu)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having recently played SS, I would be kinda bummed if we didn't see some offensive Light magic. Lightning, Shine, Purge, Divine, Aura... And Faith rank could give a Darkbreaker skill or whatever (I miss the Trinity of Magic okay).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my main hope is the return of invoke, especially if at higher levels you can invoke brigades.

I also wholey expect amiibo to give weapons at least (characters are the big hope, but weapons are something that I completely expect existing in some capacity) and I think they will have arts attached (like ragnell having aether).

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wholeheartedly expect some specific weapons to have unique combat arts exclusive to a weapon(specifically the Hero Relics). Claude is totally gonna have a combat art with the Riegan Bow which allows him to shoot red lasers from it like in the trailer. We haven't seen any from Byleth and the Sword of the Creator yet but maybe after they unlock the Crest Stone they get a unique combat art - as in the gameplay we've seen they still have a hole in the middle of the blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I wholeheartedly expect some specific weapons to have unique combat arts exclusive to a weapon(specifically the Hero Relics). Claude is totally gonna have a combat art with the Riegan Bow which allows him to shoot red lasers from it like in the trailer. We haven't seen any from Byleth and the Sword of the Creator yet but maybe after they unlock the Crest Stone they get a unique combat art - as in the gameplay we've seen they still have a hole in the middle of the blade.

There's Ruptured Heaven, which could be unique. It has dragon effectiveness too, which is usually a big deal.

Yeah, I'm curious about the hole. At the start, I thought you could customise its crest stone. But maybe it has a crest stone that you simply can't see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VincentASM said:

There's Ruptured Heaven, which could be unique. It has dragon effectiveness too, which is usually a big deal.

Yeah, I'm curious about the hole. At the start, I thought you could customise its crest stone. But maybe it has a crest stone that you simply can't see?

I did a bit of digging; and you're able to swap weapon when Ruptured Heaven is selected meaning you can most likely swap to the Steel Sword Byleth has equipped. Disappointing somewhat.

20190618_131147.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...