What Professor Levels will you Choose?

Will You Stick With Recommended Professor Levels Your First Playthrough?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. For your first playthrough, will you follow the strengths and weaknesses that a character's professor levels recommend, or do your own thing?

• Yes, at least for my first playthrough.
    • No, I want to shape my students how I please.
    • It'll depend on the student.
    • I'm aiming for hidden talents only.
    • I haven't decided yet.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/26/2019 at 04:29 AM

So Professor levels. Rather than being locked to a weapon for a specific class, we get professor levels and a lot more freedom in how classes will work. We know that some people will have affinities for certain skills and be worse at others, and that hidden talents exist.

What I'm curious about is who is planning to stick with a character's strengths and who is just going hand out weapons for other reasons. For example, Bernadetta is strong in Heavy Armor. But maybe I want her to be a mage rather than an armor knight, as hilarious as the mental image is.

At least for the first playthrough, I'll try and see what the game wants me to do. After that, I'll be following my own preferences. What are your thoughts?

Edited by SimplyUnknown

Sometimes my desires for a specific unit might overlap with the game's intended path for them - for example I really want to make Ashe a Sniper; but for others; such as Sylvain; I'd rather make a Halberdier style class than a Paladin. So yeah for me it'll depend on the unit.

For my first play through in each house, I'll mostly follow the strengths. However, for some characters I'm going to branch out a little, such as making Bernadetta a Pegasus Knight and Ashe a Cavalier (assuming he doesn't have a weakness in Riding or Lance.)

My strategy would be. One Priest, at least Two mounts and the rest according to their strengths.

My designated priests:

• Black Eagles: Linhardt
  • Blue Lions: Mercedes
  • Golden Deer: Marianne

My designated mounts (tentative):

• Black Eagles: Ferdinand, Petra
  • Blue Lions: Ingrid, Silvain
  • Golden Deer: Lorenz, Leonie/Claude

I'm picking the Golden Deer kids for my first run, and I think I'll pretty much stick to their strengths. Of course, if I need a specific class, that might change things. Hilda is 1000000000% going to be a Brigand no matter what though, just because it'd be funny to make a spoiled rich girl chop people to pieces with an axe.

I want to aim for hidden talents and see what sort of crazy skills bloom out of it, but otherwise I'll mostly have the students learn their defaults to stay in character so to speak.

The most important part of class manipulation will be White Mage Byleth anyways. Oh you know I'm gonna make it happen!

I probably won't get too creative or grindy in my first playthrough and instead focus on a units strengths. Only searching for hidden talents as a mild curiosity when it's convenient.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'm going to try to put all my non-magic characters on mounts; predominantly horses, but I'll also try to make Byleth a Wyvern Rider. 

Seeing as screenshots seem to suggest that magic is locked to magic-using classes, I'll probably have to leave my magic users on foot; as we haven't got any form of confirmation of mounted magic users, even in the advanced classes. There might be some in the final tier, but I feel that'd be a bit late in the game to make such classes available, especially since until then your magic users won't have much use for the riding skill you'd have to train them in. Best option we'd have for Magic-Knights at this point are magic-based weapons like the Bolt Axe / Wind Sword, but we don't have much of a confirmation on those either.

EDIT: In the interest of staying on topic, I'm going to go a bit more in detail about my choices in class / weapon.

Byleth and Claude will get flying training, with Byleth getting a focus on swords, and Claude on bows (basically, playing to their strengths / unique weapons).

Lorenz and Leonie will be Cavaliers with a lance focus, Hilda and Raphael Cavaliers with an axe focus, and Ignace can be a Cavalier with bows.

Marianne and Lysithea will be a Priest and Mage respectively.

I'll also try to nab Ingrid and Ashe from the Blue Lions; Ingrid can be a sword-focused Pegasus Knight, and Ashe... well, I'm not sure what I'll make him yet (as I've got two of every weapon on my squad at this point) but he will also probably be on a horse.

In the event that my choices lead to characters unlocking their hidden talents, I'll go with that, but otherwise I won't go out of my way to unlock those.

Edited by DukeAshura
felt I was going off topic and wanted to elaborate on my answer more.

Definitely will be doing my own thing! Whatever aesthetically looks best on the character/what I think their personality is. Ashe for example I'll probably make a Swordmaster, but keep his bow skill high enough to be his secondary weapon. Or I'll make him a dark mage if his magic is high enough.

Dedue will never be an armor user, I don't care. Haha. I like the idea of him being close to a War Monk-esque class. Healing + Axes (or maybe Gauntlets). And I'm sure some characters like Annette I'll keep as a mage. So it really just depends.

The hidden talents definitely have my eye. Especially when they're like the Hubert example given, where he actually gets a unique attack if you invest in lance training. I would feel like I was missing out if I didn't unlock that. The added layer of difficulty in training up a unit with low attack to use physical weapons, only for a payoff later, feels very Fire Emblem to me. Like every unit in this game will have a little delayed gratification Donnel in them.

Except Bernadetta. Regardless of her hidden talents I'm making her an armor knight archer. Hey, maybe it could be good! (It won't be good.)

I enjoy putting characters in classes that aren't their starting class too much to follow what the game tells me to do. Like in Fates, I had one playthrough that was pretty much dedicated to putting characters in completely new (non-optimal) classes via Friendship and Partner Seals. So much fun.

So yeah, I'm gonna do my own thing with them. I won't go for professor levels that the unit is weak in (and doesn't have a hidden talent for), though. No need playing on Super Hard, lol.