Best Game You've Never Finished

Ilboss

Divinity Original Sin 2. This game is amazing (One of my favorites) I got to the 3rd or 4th area (Around 60hr) and I was playing through the game with a friend online, and since he started the game he had the save file, one day he called me to tell me he accidentally had deleted the save file.

I really want to replay the game, but every time I start I just remember everything i'll have to redo.

As a child I never managed to finish Yoshi's Island or Super Metroid. But I'm sure I'll revisit them someday. Runner ups are DOOM (2016), Demon Souls, and XCOM Enemy Unknown. I had a great time with all of these games but they're really tough. I couldn't beat that final level in Enemy Unknown and I got at least halfway through the other two.

Super Metroid is one I really need to get back to someday, it's just that I've kind been going in circles for a while and I'm not sure where to go next. There's also a lot of games I start playing at a friends house, but never get to finish. My most recent memory of a game like that was Spider-Man PS4, the game just feels fantastic when you get into a rhythm swinging around New York, but I know I'll probably never get to finish it since I moved so far away.

Back when I had a PS Vita I briefly downloaded Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together but never really got around to playing it. I've heard nothing but great things about the game's story no matter who I talk to about it and I hope it gets re-released in some form in the future.

Breath of the Wild is a game I want to finish too.

Edited by TheDreamReturns

Majora's Mask. I'm deeply in love with the game but for some reason the stars always align to stop me from finishing it. When I was a kid it was the ending of the Nintendo 64 era as well as the slow death of my controllers. When I was an adult it was real life and some newer releasing games that stopped me from finishing the 3ds version.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst - Technically I finished the first "main story," but I haven't finished the "Rage Burst Expansion" storyline. I think I got burnt out on marathoning God Eater (I put in ~80 hours in God Eater: Resurrection before jumping into the 2nd) and haven't had the chance to get back to it yet. Doesn't help my USB Controller is a bit wacky with its L&R Buttons.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - I finished the vanilla game and have a playthrough in progress for the 2nd, but other games ended up taking my attention. I want to get back to it though...

Valkyria Chronicles - It's a great game, but I think the fact I watched an LP of it sapped some of my enthusiasm (despite the LP making it purchase the game in the first place). Then whenever I do get back to it, I feel like starting a new save file since its been so long.
- - - - -
Octopath Traveler - I absolutely love this game... Problem is, there's other games and things I want to do as well...

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - I loved my time with Tri on the Wii and the Ultimate version on the Wii U. Like before though, so many games, so little time.

Trails in the Sky: First Chapter - It took me a while to wrap my head around the combat system (I compared it to Grandia II, but if it only showed the results of the "action bar" instead of seeing the icons move down it). Like other games though, there's too many things I want to do.

Shadow Warrior, Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - Games I bought on sale and played a little bit with. They were fun, but other things interest me more.
- - - - -
Tactics Ogre (SNES Version) - I had a playthrough of Tactics Ogre a while back, but I lost my save file when my HDD crashed.

Super Mario Star Road - A "modded" Super Mario 64 with new levels. I had a playthrough in progress, but I lost my save file. I also don't have a good controller to play it with at the moment either.

On an unrelated note, I never could get myself in Divinity Original Sin 2. I bought it once when it was on sale, but I found the controls to be unintuitive and clunky. I ended up returning it and getting God Eater instead. Thing is, I thought I would have loved DOS 2 because of its RPG mechanics, but the controls just killed it for me. (I had difficulty interacting with objects in the environment, such as tossing them around and stuff.)

StarCraft: Brood War - the campaigns in the original really aren't even that long, but for all that I've gone through multiple Command and Conquer Games and Age of Empire games, I just backlogged this over and over again.

Beyond Good and Evil - GCN memory cards have too small space. Maybe I was in bad mood... not sure I would rate it as highly as it's cult fanbase since it's not very "gamey" as much as an action-adventure game with stealth sections...

XIII - I think I played up to the 3rd ~ last mission. I think it's more famous for it's early online multiplayer and style than the main story, but god I found it boring compared to Goldeneye or Timesplitters.

Startopia - it's kinda known as a flawed game. The missions kind of force you to deal with the game's bad mechanics (combat) toward the end, so I don't think I'll finish it … I've seen the good bits and what it runs when it's closest to sandbox.

Bravely Second- Fun game, but the final fight with Kaiser Oblivion proved to be an unbeatable wall and I stopped there.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse- Also a fun game. Couldn't beat the final boss.

Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D- Got through the Zora Dungeon and then just forgot about the game.

If it isn't a JRPG and I never finished it, then either it's a game with no finish or I probably didn't think it was particularly good. Which is why the only games on this list are JRPGs.

Seiken Densetsu 3 / Trials of Mana: As I've already mentioned elsewhere, this is my favorite JRPG from my childhood. I never finished it because my team composition going into the last few dungeons had no healing outside of items, which was kind of a problem, and I didn't really want to grind levels to make up for it.

That said, I just picked up the Collection of Mana yesterday and hopefully will actually be able to finish this game this time around.

Bravely Default: I got to the beginning of Chapter 3 before probably some new Monster Hunter release took my attention away from this game. And then I got a Switch and mostly stopped going back to my 3DS after that. I've been meaning to get back to the game at some point, but I've since completely forgotten how the game mechanics work and need to brush up on it again.

I also already know about a lot of the spoilers from later in the game and want to see things happen myself. Also the music is phenomenal.

Monster Hunter Double Cross / Generations Ultimate: I'm putting this here not because I haven't "finished" the game, but because I stopped playing the game before finishing everything I had intended to finish. I was in the middle of getting through all of the Deviants to get their maxed out armor sets, but then Monster Hunter World was released, and I never had the time to go back and finish things up.

Monster Hunter Stories was similarly put on indefinite hiatus when World was released. I was in the middle of finding skill fodder for my Stygian Zinogre. They've also released a few patches with new obtainable monsters since the last time I played.

Never finished the caravan quests in MH4U, because I started playing other games.

I also never finished Touhou 6, 7, or 15. Because I'm too prideful to lower the difficulty down to hard. And I haven't gotten back to playing Touhou because I'm "busy"

Also Touhou DDC, and Touhou TD Released on Steam yesterday.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: The USB i had it on literally fell apart and i haven't played the game since.

Baten Kaitos: It's a Monolith Soft JRPG so obviously i was gonna play it. I liked most of what i had played and then got to the second island and literally haven't gone back to it since.

Soma Bringer: Same deal as Baten Kaitos, except DS emulators are kinda trash so that killed my mood to play.

Most Neptunia spin-offs: I've dabbled in each of them but aside from Superdimension, i haven't gone back to complete any of them. Some are ARPGs and i don't have a good controller for PC so that's the main reason.

Main one I can think of is Legend of Legaia. I got stuck at a particularly challenging boss for me, and tgen I haven’t been able to play it again as my PSX doesn’t work.

Any JRPG by Square Enix because random encounters or stupid boss battles went on my nerves. 

However I gave it a chance again by playing Final Fantasy VII. 

So far, it is alright. 

Hopefully it will continue... 

@MyLuckyHaiku

Ooooohhh, thanks for these news. 

I love DDC so much! 

Edited by Rosalina

Hm... I have a few:

Valkyria Chronicles 4. I'm actually on the final chapter right now. I'm really enjoying this game. Great gameplay, good story, good characters; I really like it. 

Xenoblade Chronicles 1. My opinion of it so far is actually quite mixed, but I see why a lot of people like it. I hope to finish the main story, but the game's so big. 

The Witcher 3. Similarly to Xenoblade, my opinion of it is mixed, but I see why it's very popular, and I hope to finish it, but it's so big. 

But the winner probably has to be:

Ocarina of Time. I've had this game since I was four, and it not only got me interested in The Legend of Zelda, it got me interested in swords and fantasy. But I've never actually finished it. I'm currently in the process of completing it though, so that will soon change. 

Guild Wars 1 is, in my opinion, the greatest game ever made due to its brilliant design allowing it to be both infinitely deep and extremely convenient.

Due to having little interest in hardcore raid content, I never finished its highest end PvE content, that being the Underworld, Domain of Anguish, etc.

Due to not being an amazing PvPer, I never experienced the heights of its top level PvP content.

Therefore, after thousands of hours, I technically never "finished" it, and it is the best game I have never finished and never will.