Why I am hesitant at joining the military.

XRay

14 hours ago, warchiefwilliams said:

Keeps DIs off your rear and means you can deal with divisional beat-downs a little bit better.

What are DIs?

This week I got lazy, but I usually do exercise about 3 or 4 times a week, either walking, jogging, or accompanying my friend to the gym.

I have also been trying to cut carbs and specifically sugar (I am not a huge fan of sweets, but I do love soda and sugary drinks). I try to eat more beans, bananas, quinoa, etc. instead of potatoes, pasta, and rice to feel full. While I am pretty successful in cutting sugary drinks, I eat a lot more fruits and drink a lot more smoothies, which I think should be okay.

DIs, RDCs, not sure what Air Force called the instructors. 

I would highly recommend replacing your sugary drinks with water. Keeps you hydrated and is zero calories. While dieting plays a role, the more critical element is the physical part. I would for now focus on what you will likely be doing on a daily basis and preparing for that initial fitness test. For example, as a mid 20s male, a good goal for me for the Navy’s PRT (physical readiness test) prior to leaving was to be able to do 65 push-ups and 65 sit-ups in their two minute windows respectively, and be able to complete the 1.5 mile run in less than 12 minutes. Not sure what Air Force requirements are, but you should be able to find out easily enough.

• 4 months later...

I am 177.5 pounds now! It took me a whole day without eating, I just took a dump, and I stripped myself so I am as light as possible. My scale seems lighter though, so I might be a few more pounds heavier. But I am close to achieving 175 pounds!

I do need to exercise more though, since I have done much since the weather started to turn cold about a month ago.