Eurogamer Spain 9 Minute Preview

Iria

Nice to see some more monastery gameplay. It would be nice if NOA picked up the slack in marketing, but I guess they're saving up for a large Direct sometime soon.

Anyway, it seems that the limited professor level will mean that the player will have to prioritize what they will have to do each weekend, while still allowing for some experimentation. Things like fast travel, auto-tutor, and automatically addressing characters birthdays are great quality-of-life inclusions. Also interesting to see that Rhea has a weapon rank, meaning that she may be playable. Things will definitely get more interesting after the timeskip, although I'm hoping that they won't pull any tricks that make teaching and using certain characters a waste of time.

Side note: While it was quick, we did get to see some of the class designs when Edelgard was scrolling through classes. While thankfully it's not egregiously fanservicy... yeah, I can see how the game earned the "sexual content" warning on its ESRB label. Hopefully, it will be handled similarly to Echoes, which earned a similar rating.

The animations and graphics still aren't great. They won't affect my enjoyment of the gameplay at all, but this is probably the first time the graphics have actually bothered me. The small stuff just seems like it will add up, and I while I understand that they're working with a new engine, this game probably has the most glaring issues presentation wise of any fire emblem game thus far. On the more positive side of things, the menus look awesome, being able to free roam the map is a neat feature, and the ability to see who or what an enemy unit will focus on attacking next turn is a nice quality-of-life update.

It seems kind of odd that the defeat condition is "all units fall in battle". It makes me wonder if the Lords/Byleth falling no longer causes a game over, or if repeating "Lord or Byleth falls" as a fail condition would get pointlessly repetitive, so they didn't bother. Is also means that there will be more objectives than just "rout all enemies" or "kill enemy leader" this time around, which I'm pretty sure everyone is happy about. The battle description is great stuff as well, and I'm hoping that they capitalize greatly on the "see the same conflict from different perspectives" aspect that each house could provide.

7 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

makes me wonder if the Lords/Byleth falling no longer causes a game over, or if repeating "Lord or Byleth falls" as a fail condition would get pointlessly repetitive, so they didn't bother. Is also means that there will be more objectives than just "rout all enemies" or "kill enemy leader" this time around, which I'm pretty sure everyone is happy about. The battle description is great stuff as well, and I'm hoping that they capitalize greatly on the "see the same conflict from different perspectives" aspect that each house could provide.

Fates did the same thing, as Corrin could fall just like any other unit and you wouldn't get a game over.

17 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

It seems kind of odd that the defeat condition is "all units fall in battle". It makes me wonder if the Lords/Byleth falling no longer causes a game over, or if repeating "Lord or Byleth falls" as a fail condition would get pointlessly repetitive, so they didn't bother. Is also means that there will be more objectives than just "rout all enemies" or "kill enemy leader" this time around, which I'm pretty sure everyone is happy about. The battle description is great stuff as well, and I'm hoping that they capitalize greatly on the "see the same conflict from different perspectives" aspect that each house could provide.

That's just because it's Casual mode. In the Treehouse presentation, they were playing on Classic mode and it 's clear that both Byleth and the Lord will cause a game over when defeated.