Special Heroes Arrive! Summer Returns - June 20th

Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Laevatein looks to me to be slowly morphing into Stewie Griffin.

I'm pretty sure that'd also require her to get any a personality that isn't "OMG my sis is so cool", but I'll also admit I'm not the guy to go to when it comes to Family Guy.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Tybrosion said:

I'm pretty sure that'd also require her to get any a personality that isn't "OMG my sis is so cool", but I'll also admit I'm not the guy to go to when it comes to Family Guy.

I haven't watched an episode of it in my life, it's purely a physical thing. 😉

8 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I haven't watched an episode of it in my life, it's purely a physical thing. 😉

I haven't either, but I think I also don't need to watch it to know that Stewie has shown more personality than Laevatein has both shown and will ever show because that isn't a high bar at all to pass.

2 hours ago, Midnox said:

Should I keep Laevetain, or should I fodder her skillz? Yes, I used a Z XD

Her most noteworthy skills are Bouyboard and Mirror Impact.

Bouyboard is great with magic tanks, but it trades 2 Res (and 4 Def) for 4 more Atk compared to Serpent Weapons.

In my opinion, Mirror Impact is much more useful for Aether Raids defense than on offense compared to Sturdy Impact; the AI generally wants to be as obnoxious as possible, so without the Def+10 but retaining follow-up prevention, it allows a Lunge enemy on the defense team to take more damage to ideally reach Wings of Mercy range for its allies but the follow-up prevention preserves much of the Lunge enemy's survivability. In the player's hand however, Sturdy Impact is generally more useful in my opinion since most of the units you will be using it on are units with guaranteed follow-ups such as Ephraim and Flora, and I find physical bulk to be more important for these units than magical bulk.

I personally would not sacrifice SR!Laevetain since I think her skills can be easily substituted with more available skills, but she as a unit cannot be as easily substituted, since the only other green mage flier in the regular pool is SF!Nino and she has a completely different stat spread for a different play style.

Edited by XRay

I have three 5* units off of this banner so far.  Zero of them are Helbindi.  And I need to have a nice, long talk with whoever considers Berkut a waifu.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

I have three 5* units off of this banner so far.  Zero of them are Helbindi.  And I need to have a nice, long talk with whoever considers Berkut a waifu.

I know that feeling, eclipse. The first three 5 stars I got off the banner weren't Gunnthra either. Then I had to go up to around 500 orbs until she DID show up. And two of those other 5 stars were Kinshi Hinoka. Not joking. That's the first time I pulled the same 5 star off-focus twice in the same banner.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I know that feeling, eclipse. The first three 5 stars I got off the banner weren't Gunnthra either. Then I had to go up to around 500 orbs until she DID show up. And two of those other 5 stars were Kinshi Hinoka. Not joking. That's the first time I pulled the same 5 star off-focus twice in the same banner.

I don't have 500 orbs.  I think I might have to throw pulls here and there to see if I can fish Helbindi out.  Maybe he'll be convinced if I train Ylgr?

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

He is the best Enemy Phase waifu for Player Phase husbandos! Imagine Reinhardt running dual Brazen Atk/Spd and Desperation, and with DW!Berkut taking a hit and reducing Reinhardt's HP, then Reinhardt can do a bit of quading with 42 Spd (23 Base - 5 Dire + 4 Merges + 14 Brazens + 6 Hone)!

18 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I don't have 500 orbs.  I think I might have to throw pulls here and there to see if I can fish Helbindi out.  Maybe he'll be convinced if I train Ylgr?

Heh, worth a try, I guess! 😛

47 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I thought I knew what banner you were using, then got really confused by Berkut. 😛

Got one free red orb and tried for Helbindi, but got nice ready-made Wings of Mercy instead (4* Cain). I suppose that's a good value for a free summon.

(Some character designs make me wonder if they'll increase the game's rating eventually. 🙄 I guess if the game is ever classified as a form of gambling, they'll have an argument that the game isn't for children... I personally like more kid-friendly games. Oh well. 😧)

1 minute ago, Tree said:

I thought I knew what banner you were using, then got really confused by Berkut. 😛

The general rule for me is "pull everything BUT summer units on summer banners".  I think I have four summer units total.  Over five total summer banners (Ylisse, Nohrian, the two summer banners from last year, and this one).  And half of those pulled units are Corrin. . .one of which was pulled off of a Legendary Hero banner.  So yeah.

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

(Some character designs make me wonder if they'll increase the game's rating eventually. 🙄 I guess if the game is ever classified as a form of gambling, they'll have an argument that the game isn't for children... I personally like more kid-friendly games. Oh well. 😧)

But wasn't... Swimsuit Female Corrin the worst of all swimsuit characters? Doesn't her bottom tear from top to bottom on one side in the injured art, and would hence fall off were it not a still image? Nobody else has replicated that, right?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

@eclipse I have almost as many summer units as you, and I think they weren't actually from summer banners. 😀 Innes and Cordelia are still around somewhere, but Elise wasn't that useful, so she got turned into a manual. Summer units do have some of the most fun seasonal weapon designs.

@Interdimensional Observer Well, it is a still image, so there's that at least. Anyway, some of the magic tomes float, so perhaps that power helps keep things in place? 😛

Come to think of it, I've only pulled four summer units, five if you count duplicates - Corrin being +1. Of those, only one (the initial Corrin) was actually from a summer banner instead of a Legendary banner, and she cost me ~250 orbs with zero pity-breakers. My luck with summer banners has only gotten worse since then: let's just say the complete absence of any 2018 summer units was not for lack of trying.

Picked up a Corrin merge, a Gaius, a Melon Tiki and an Elise from various legendary banners at least. The latter three are well obsolete by now though, if I ever used them in the first place.

EDIT: I'm a filthy liar, completely forgot about my Takumi. I think I was under the impression it was NY Takumi instead since they're so similar. But again, not from an actual summer banner.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But wasn't... Swimsuit Female Corrin the worst of all swimsuit characters? Doesn't her bottom tear from top to bottom on one side in the injured art, and would hence fall off were it not a still image? Nobody else has replicated that, right?

That's kind of what happens with still images. Things in the process of happening remain in the process of happening.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's kind of what happens with still images. Things in the process of happening remain in the process of happening.

Until they add 3D functionality and gyroscopic control to FEH to make still images like those Super Mario 3D Land images, which have select parts that move and rotate as you move around the game system.

Do it IS.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Until they add 3D functionality and gyroscopic control to FEH to make still images like those Super Mario 3D Land images, which have select parts that move and rotate as you move around the game system.

Do it IS.

I feel like it stops qualifying as a still image at that point...

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Best Bro is just shy is all! We just gotta be patient with him, he'll peek his head out eventually once he thinks no one is looking.

11 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah its really rough and feels like being excluded.  In games, not just Fire Emblem, where there is an avatar character I like to rename it to my real name and then try to adjust the physical appearance to most closely match my own, however can't even get the right skin color.  I don't know how hard it would be to put a few darker skin shades, especially since the games are releasing globally.  I can understand certain worlds (shows, movies, games) not having any darker skinned people cause it doesn't fit, however if having an avatar character it should have enough options to represent a variety of people.  

Agree here.. but I think in 3 houses it seems kind to fit? At least there are some dark skinned characters. And I hope this is keeped.

Which reminds me I looked at Rinkah cipher cards and that was a total disappointment. 

Spoiler

B07-074.png

Can't say much about the other 2 of her, which are not soo good and they worked much with light. But this one? Come on, was this necessary. Also depending on the artist her skin color seems to be really "flexible"...

I mean the only thing in case of Avatars like Byleth are their family trees, it also needs to fit somewhere. But we don't know all of Byleths family and never will. So with that there is no contradiction I think. 

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

Can't say much about the other 2 of her, which are not soo good and they worked much with light. But this one? Come on, was this necessary. Also depending on the artist her skin color seems to be really "flexible"...

Literal whitewashing. Wow. She looks lacking to make her lighter like this.

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

I mean the only thing in case of Avatars like Byleth are their family trees, it also needs to fit somewhere. But we don't know all of Byleths family and never will. So with that there is no contradiction I think. 

And for Robin, a darker skin tone would be appropriate given that thing I'm not sure is human called Validar. Unless he had a pale virgin fetish that led to the capture of a lovely white "bride".

From what I kinda recall in Awakening, Flavia, Basilio, and Aversa all had 3D models that looked a bit lighter than their portraits showed them to be.

My luck is apparently horrible in the exact opposite way that it normally is.

I got a second Laevatein. She's the exact same unfortunate nature as my first one.

I then got two Gunnthras almost in a row. Both are +Def.

Mrgrgr.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah, I just find this not looking right DX. Which is a shame, because there are some really beautiful Cipher cards. But Rinkah DX just hasn't gotten the right artist. But I can hope and I think that she will be better off in FEH. Just give her to PenekoR who knows how to draw such characters, without messing it up. Ok, I am also confident others can do it too and FEH might be more strict because it has a bigger variety of fans which may be more sensitive compared to the fans of cipher cards. And also Rinkah had some Awakening artworks which might her look lighter. But I often think an wish that if they choose an Illustrator for such a Card of FEH Illustration. That this Illustrator at least has a little love for that character and want to give it the best to hit the character right on without messing up some features. I mean the Face of Naesala in Feh is another case which I read about here. That his features had been missed kind of. There may be a lot of fans overlooking this. But I think an Illustrator should try to make the character authentic. 

Also in case of some picture I guess the light also has some influence on how the skin color looks to us. But with the Rinkah cipher card this is clearly not the case. 

And there was one "Artist" who makes some art gripes who pointed it out at some points. Some Artists have their own style and they kind of have it difficult to translate certain Characters to their style. Its no surprise that I like muscular characters and I also looked at what some people did to Gerudos from Zelda. And I see quite often they they adjusted some things to their style. Like Gerudos have big Noses, this is how they are depicted in Zelda. But some People draw Gerudos and just give them Noses like they would with any manga character they draw. I admit and I tried it myself, drawing such noses without making it look too awkward is not an easy task. But it kind of just takes their features they have if you don't try and go with what you can do. Maybe sometimes you even have to embrace the awkwardness at first.

Now not all changes are bad and this is another case. But I like what they did with Tifa in the FF7 remake. They tried to make her looking more realistic and more athletic, which is just perfect for her fighting style. Which is why they decided to change some of her features. Which I am well happy about. If this would be a Case like they decide to make some adjustment to make the characters even better and still authentic in a way maybe more authentic it is ok. But ok, the people who planned in FF7 remake and Illustrators are also different things. Also this decision has been given clearly some thoughts and you can see they want to make the most of it. 

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And for Robin, a darker skin tone would be appropriate given that thing I'm not sure is human called Validar. Unless he had a pale virgin fetish that led to the capture of a lovely white "bride".

From what I kinda recall in Awakening, Flavia, Basilio, and Aversa all had 3D models that looked a bit lighter than their portraits showed them to be.

At least it would be possible. xD I think in case of Corrin it would be more difficult. At least I can get behind that the skin color could be limited. Through his family relations.  Robin would be possible. But I think at the time of Awakening they have given less thoughts to that. 

And as for 3D modelling I also get that they kind of reused assets anyway. As I recall depending on classes some characters had something like a default body just with switched faces. Even in fates I think they did. Like if you changed Camilla into an Oni Savage all her sizes did not fit her portrait anymore. 

I think in 3Houses they took more time to put more into the character modelling with Class changes..  At least from what I saw it feels that way. 

Dang xD wrote more than I thought I would.

Edited by Stroud

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I really hope Rinkah gets good artwork in FEH. That Cipher card is completely unforgivable. 

5 hours ago, Stroud said:

Agree here.. but I think in 3 houses it seems kind to fit? At least there are some dark skinned characters. And I hope this is keeped.

Which reminds me I looked at Rinkah cipher cards and that was a total disappointment. 

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No, that's just the effect of strong lighting.

If you compare that card art with her in-game face sprite or official art, it's very clear that the reds, whites, and golds on her clothing and hair in the card art are far more saturated, and it should be expected that the brightness of her skin would follow suit.

And when it comes to skin color flexibility, "white" people have a similar amount of variance depending on the artist (just look at Tanith and Sigrun side by side in Jave's avatar).