Pelleas Character Analysis

Questions  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Pelleas?

• Yes I like him.
    • Indifferent.
    • No I dislike him.
  2. 2. Who should be my next character analysis be on?

• Deghinsea
    • Almedha
    • Lucia
    • Sephiran

Welcome to my fourth character analysis thread. This time we take a look at none other than Pelleas! 

Introduction and Background Information

Pelleas was raised as an orphan and later chosen by Izuka to be a puppet king due to him having the same mark Soren had which was enough to fool Almedha. Once Izuka finds him, Izuka helps Pelleas raise an army to fight Begnion which is why Pelleas becomes subservient to Izuka prior to the events of Radiant Dawn. Here we will take a look at the rise and subsequent fall of Pelleas and him coming to terms with who he is. 

Part 1

Chapter 1-5

When we first see Pelleas, he refuses to be bowed down on which goes to show he's a simple humble guy who does not desire that his subordinates give him more respect than he deserves. He was also raised as a commoner until recently so he's very inexperienced in his princely duties. Also, Pelleas is quite the intuitive fellow as he suspects that him being the true prince is too good to be true which we'll learn later to be correct. 

Spoiler

Izuka:
“And here we have the consort and queen of our late King Ashnard, Lady Almedha. And look at you! You’re standing? Did the desert dry out your brains? Kneel ye before these royal personages!”

Pelleas:
“It’s all right, Izuka. Please, don’t stand on ceremony.”

Pelleas:
“I didn’t know I was a prince until very recently. So, really, I’m not used to any of this.”

Micaiah:
“What do you mean?”

Pelleas:
“Until a half year ago–that is, until Izuka found me–I was raised as a normal commoner. To be frank, it still doesn’t feel real to me. That I…I myself could be the son of King Ashnard. It’s a little overwhelming.”

Pelleas is also a very sincere individual as he ended up convincing Micaiah to jump ship even though she initially didn't want to lead the Daein Liberation Army. It also shows he knows where to hit the right note to change Micaiah's mind quickly which goes to show he is at least somewhat socially intelligent as his plea is very convincing. 

Spoiler

Sothe:
“Yes, that’s a problem! She’s not some fancy stoneware for you to set on display. If you’re going to do this…then I cannot sign on.”

Micaiah:
“Exactly.”

Pelleas:
“Micaiah, please, wait! That isn’t what we meant.”

Pelleas:
“You’re not the only one who knows nothing about battle. I don’t either. But if I don’t act, the devastation of Daein will grow ever worse. So, I have to be brave. Please, I’m asking you to do the same, Micaiah… For the sake of the future of Daein, will you join our cause?”

Micaiah:
“…Prince Pelleas…I will.”

Sothe:
“Micaiah?!”

Pelleas:
“Thank you.”

Micaiah:
“And in return, will you ensure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Daein will be freed from the rule of the Begnion Empire?”

Pelleas:
“I promise.”

Micaiah:
“I trust in your word.”

Chapter 1-6

We learn that Pelleas is an impressionable individual who easily got amazed at Izuka's strategy and later on Micaiah's. Since he can't strategize, it makes sense he'll get impressed at whatever strategy one comes up with. 

Spoiler

Izuka: If the Liberation Army attacks any of these places, we are assured of an
    absolute victory.

Pelleas: Masterful as always, Izuka. It's good to know I can count on you.

Izuka: First, we'll target Talrega. It borders the frontier, Begnion's hold is
    shaky...and resentment runs high.

Micaiah: No. Talrega is no good.

Izuka: Wha-what was that!? On what grounds are my decisions being questioned by
    this...this child?!

Micaiah: The timing is wrong. Because of the rains, we won't be able to advance
    well, let alone fight.

Jill: It's true. I'm from Talrega, and I remember well the landslides and
    floods that come every spring. The mountain road leading to that particular
    work camp is notoriously dangerous.

Izuka: Wha-what?! Impossible! My...my strategy is flawless, perfect even. Hmph,
    I never...

Sothe: Micaiah, where do you think we should attack?

Micaiah: ... Terin... We'll have better luck in Terin.

Tauroneo: Terin, too, lies in the mountains, but in the arid northern region,
    where the weather is predictable.

Pelleas: Micaiah, you're amazing! I count my blessings to have you as
    vice-general. You give me hope.

Chapter 1-7

Pelleas is also very submissive and obedient considering that Izuka told him to stop coming to strategy meetings and he happily obliged. Despite not being at the meeting, he was smart enough to realize this action of his would anger Micaiah before she showed any anger, which once again, shows he's socially intelligent. Though despite Izuka being a crazy fellow, it makes sense why Pelleas is so obedient to him. It's because without Izuka, Pelleas would still be some peasant with no one to support/comfort him. Furthermore, Izuka organized the Daein Liberation Army from scratch, which is a difficult task, so Pelleas having absolute faith in Izuka's decisions is something you'd expect, because after all, it was all Izuka's doing so you might as well let him do as he wishes. After all, as the famous saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Lastly, other than Pelleas being impressionable, he's also an excitable individual to the extent that he started sweating after Micaiah read his mind and stated the obvious. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: Sorry to call you here like this. Forgive me.

Micaiah: It's quite all right.

Pelleas: Can I pour you some tea? Or is there something else you would prefer?

Micaiah: I'm fine, thank you. What did you want to speak with me about?

Pelleas: I know you are angry with me. Please, forgive me.

Micaiah: Can you tell me why you stopped showing up at our meetings?

Pelleas: It was at Izuka's request.

Micaiah: You are the leader of this army! You cannot simply leave all the
    decisions to someone else!

Pelleas: ...I'm sorry. I'll ask Izuka before the next meeting. I need his
    permission to attend.

Micaiah: Why? You're the prince. Why should you need any man's permission, much
    less your own advisor's?

Pelleas: Yes, I am the prince, but...I owe much to Izuka. He taught me
    everything I needed to know to become a proper member of the royal family.
    He contacted Tauroneo and the other senators from Daein for help. Without
    his power and influence, I would never have mustered an army--or met my own
    mother.

Micaiah: I see. You were alone...

Pelleas: Pardon?

Micaiah: And then Izuka reunited you with your mother, gave you a place to
    stay, and provided you with a reason to live. And you feel you owe him a
    debt of gratitude for ending your loneliness. That is why you try to do as
    you are told--as Izuka wishes.

Pelleas: Micaiah, you're--

Micaiah: I'm sorry! I didn't mean to-- That was inappropriate.

Pelleas: You're amazing!

Micaiah: Amazing?

Pelleas: You really can read minds! I'm simply amazed! You saw right through
    me!

Micaiah: ...

Pelleas: Sorry, I got too excited. Look at me, I'm sweating.

While Pelleas is terribly naive considering he didn't suspect Micaiah was a branded due to having great admiration and a high opinion of her, he isn't dense considering he could tell Micaiah was looking at him unusually which means he's socially intelligent. Also, Pelleas has the mark of Spirit's Protection which was confused by many who mistakenly assumed he was branded so he's also a victim of discrimination which adds even more insight into why he's so fond of Izuka, because before this, Pelleas was poor, lonely isolated and abused so oddly enough, Izuka was the first caring figure in his life. Lastly, Pelleas refers to the laguz as subhuman which means he's a racist. While racism is no doubt bad, he's lived in racist Daein his entire life and later on raised by Izuka, who is despicably racist, so it's completely understandable. 

Spoiler

Micaiah: Prince Pelleas!

Pelleas: What is it? Why are you looking at me like that?

Micaiah: That mark...

Pelleas: Oh...that.

Micaiah: What is it?

Pelleas: It's called the Spirit's Protection. The source of all magic in this
    world is tied to the power of the spirits. When you make a pact with such a
    spirit, its power manifests on your body like this.

Micaiah: I...see.

Pelleas: What am I saying? You already know all of this, of course. You have
    the Spirit's Protection, too.

Micaiah: What?

Pelleas: I saw you washing your hands the other day. When I walked up to you to
    say hello, Is aw the mark on your right hand.

Micaiah: You saw...

Pelleas: I thought of confiding in you right away, but my mother called for me.
    I didn't get a chance to tell you until now.

Micaiah: Do you think this mark is really the Spirit's Protection?

Pelleas: Oh! You didn't enter into the pact yourself?

Micaiah: No.

Pelleas: I see. So, it must have been the spirit who wished to make a pact with
    you.

Micaiah: Pardon?

Pelleas: It's a very rare phenomenon among newborns. Usually it happens to
    infants who have an exceptional talent for magic. You truly are amazing,
    Micaiah.

Micaiah: I don't know about that...

Pelleas: Let's keep this among ourselves... We don't want people to confuse us
    with the Branded.

Micaiah: What are the "Branded"?

Pelleas: I'm pretty sure it refers to beorc who have laguz blood in their
    veins. I know, it's hard to imagine someone with the blood of a sub-human
    running through their veins. Anyway, I've been terribly mistreated by
    people who thought I was one of the Branded.

Towards the end of this base conversation, we learn that Pelleas is comfortable with talking to Micaiah and sharing his dark secrets to her. I wouldn't blame him since she's a friendly empathetic girl. Though the problem is that he lets Micaiah and Izuka make all the decisions but this makes sense because he's used to the good old days where he was poor but had no worries so he's quite uncomfortable when it comes to making all kinds of tough decisions that can have a big impact. Regardless, he has a ton of resolve despite his flaws. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: I'm glad I was able to tell you. I'm surprised you didn't know. Come
    talk to me again sometime.

Micaiah: Certainly.

Pelleas: Oh, I almost forgot. Here. I wanted to give you this.

Micaiah: What is it?

Pelleas: It's this splendid sword I recently acquired. It gives its wielder the
    upper hand in battle. Keep it or give it to whomever you like.

Micaiah: Shouldn't you give it to the soldier you deem most worthy?

Pelleas: No, I wouldn't want the soldiers thinking I'm giving anyone special
    treatment. It would be inappropriate. That's what Izuka says, anyway. So I
    think you should do it.

Micaiah: I understand. You must have so much on your mind.

Pelleas: Indeed. I long for the hold days when I was poor, but had few worries.

Micaiah: Prince Pelleas...

Pelleas: But I'll keep fighting. I won't stop until Daein is free once more.

Micaiah: Hear, hear!

Chapter 1-8

When prisoners are about to be executed, Pelleas decides to show up to meetings again which goes to show he's capable of standing up for himself even if it is against Izuka's wishes which goes to show he's starting to develop as a character. At the meeting, Micaiah argues that they must save the prisoners while Izuka disagrees. Here we see Pelleas becoming a bit more leader like considering he yelled at Micaiah after she suggested to go by herself with her old friends because after all that is quite reckless even though he lets her rescue the prisoners right afterwards. He also goes against Izuka and lets Micaiah do her thing, because after all, she's been successful so far which makes this a statistically sound decision. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: Prisoners from Joad Work Camp are being collected in Shifu Swamp and
    executed...

Tauroneo: Not only Joad. There's reportedly a plan to exterminate all prisoners
    in every camp and let the swamp conceal the remains.

Izuka: I've heard nothing of such a plan! It's a false rumor! Or an enemy trap!

Micaiah: It may indeed be a trap. But if we don't investigate, we risk a mass
    execution!

Izuka: And what if it is a trap and they vanquish the Liberation Army? The
    dream of restoring Daein to glory will die instantly! For the good of
    Daein's future, we must ignore this threat.

Micaiah: ...I understand. And that's why I won't take any troops. Only
    myself...and my old friends will go.

Pelleas: Mi-Micaiah!

Micaiah: If you refuse them your permission, I will go alone. [leaves]

Izuka: Stop right there, little lady!! I will not authorize this action without
    the prince's full approval!

Pelleas: Izuka... Let her do as she wishes. Please. She hasn't disappointed us
    yet.

Izuka: My prince... Hrrgh! Fine. But I can't help but feel as if these children
    are running your army.

Later on when Izuka experiments on Muarim and Micaiah snaps, Pelleas ends up taking a stance against pretty much everyone. He forced Izuka to stop his experiments but also forced everyone else to forgive him which goes to show he's becoming more assertive. It also shows that despite being racist and despite holding Izuka in high regard, he has a sense of justice as he goes against his feelings to do the right thing. This goes to show that he's no longer completely subservient to either Izuka and Micaiah and can be a pragmatic arbitrator. This scene also shows Pelleas is now overcoming his racism as he stopped using the term subhuman mid sentence and sincerely apologized. 

Spoiler

Izuka: Pawns need no sense of self! It's only natural to sacrifice soldiers for
    victory in war!

Micaiah: You twisted maniac! You are the lowest--

Pelleas: Everybody! Wait, please! Izuka clearly did a terrible thing to that
    sub-hum--that laguz, I apologize. Tormod... I'm truly sorry. He will not
    use the drug again. So, please... Try to forgive him...

Micaiah: Prince Pelleas...

Izuka: My prince! We must not have royalty bowing and scraping before swine
    like--

Tormod: ...That's enough! [runs out of the tent]

Sothe: Tormod!

Micaiah: Let him go...

Chapter 1-9

Now that the war is over, Pelleas shows his generosity by rewarding the troops who put in great effort. Just because their effort isn't needed anymore, doesn't mean he's going to neglect them from now on.  

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“Everyone, you’ve done a fine job. Once the inspection team arrives, Daein will be free once again! In anticipation of our emancipation, I invite you to eat and drink to your hearts’ content.”

Pelleas is quite observant and also has the knack of knowing something unusual is happening considering Sothe isn't with Micaiah. Like I said, this guy is quite intuitive as later this chapter, something unusual would happen. Also this base conversation shows off Pelleas' insecurity about his own reputation and he's kind of jealous towards Micaiah, although he still admires her and doesn't resent her. Pelleas doesn't seem to want to command his own soldiers probably because, as he explains later on, they are willing and do fight to the death which makes them more worthy than himself in his eyes. Further proof of this is because he's willing to pay a huge sum of money as a reward to his army for their efforts despite the end of the war. All of this goes to show how much respect he has of his underlings that he's not willing to tell them to step aside from Micaiah because the soliders being with her inspires them and makes them happy. He simply doesn't want his soldiers to be upset at not being with her 24/7. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: Sothe. How unusual to see you alone.
Sothe: Prince Pelleas. You here to see Micaiah?
Pelleas: Yes. At least, I intended to. But she is quite popular, isn’t she? She’s always so busy talking to everyone that I can never get near her.
Sothe: They’re your soldiers. Tell them to get out of the way.
Pelleas: No, I can’t do that. My job is to be the symbol of Daein’s liberation. But the Priestess of Dawn is no mere symbol. For her, the soldiers will gladly give their lives.
Sothe: Prince Pelleas?
Pelleas: Oh, don’t worry, Sothe. I’m not jealous, if that’s what you’re thinking. It isn’t like that. Although I have to admit, I do envy her from time to time.
Sothe: Hm.
Pelleas: I almost forgot. Here. These war funds are for you.
Sothe: But the war’s over. And, besides, this is a small fortune.
Pelleas: Yes, well, share it with the troops if you like. I may not be much a leader, but I truly appreciate the sacrifices everyone has made. They deserve something in return. Divide it up as you see fit. I trust your judgment.
Sothe: Prince Pelleas, you should be the one to give the troops their reward.

Chapter 1-E

Pelleas continues to show us that he's growing as a leader considering he refutes Izuka's arguments against Micaiah's character but acknowledging that he needs to earn the respect of the people. 

Spoiler

Izuka:
“And then, even once their rightful king is crowned, the people will still await the approval of their precious Priestess of Dawn. Why, if we are not careful, some calculating wretches might decide they would rather see a priestess on the throne instead of a king! And once again, this country will be torn apart, all because of your glory-hounding disregard for our prince’s command!”

Pelleas:
“Please, Izuka…”

Izuka:
“Come to think of it…perhaps our Priestess here has been planning this all along! Pretending to help the prince…when in truth she seeks to wear the crown herself!”

Sothe:
“Stop your tongue, worm, or my knife will stop it for you. The only one who seems too hungry for power here is you–“

???:
“That’s enough!!”

Pelleas:
“Izuka, Micaiah does not deserve any such attack on her character. She is pure and noble, and I… I am inadequate.”

Izuka:
“Have her actions poisoned your mind too, my prince?!”

Pelleas:
“Since we met, Micaiah has led every battle, even joining the soldiers on the battlefield. Not so with me. I…cannot defend my people. How could our people not rally around her? They see her fighting, throwing her lot in with their own. They respect her. That said, things cannot remain as they are. Izuka is right to worry about my standing. I need to earn my people’s respect. Therefore… Therefore, I must take action.”

When Pelleas first starts his speech, he stutters, disrespecting his stature to the Daein army. However, he is then empowered by the Black Knight coming in and shoving his sword into the ground and completes his speech with vigor, emotion, resolve and intelligence. This shows us Pelleas growing into a more charismatic leader than he was in the beginning. Also, Pelleas gave a detailed description of the current political and military situation demonstrating there are two courses of action Daein can take. The first one being to sit around and wait as the Apostle has promised Daein freedom even though countless lives in Nevassa will be lost. The second would be to retake the capital which would save lives but potentially anger Begnion again. Prior to this, Pelleas didn't talk about strategy nor make any tactical decisions himself, but here he is doing it all by himself which goes to show he's developed into a smarter, confident and charismatic leader. 

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“Soldiers of the Liberation Army! Heed my– No, no… Hear my words! I am Pelleas, true prince of Daein.”

Daein Soldier 1:
“Yes, we know who you are, milord! We ought to by now!”

Pelleas:
“And so, uh… So… …”

Daein Soldier 1:
“…Is he…all right?”

Micaiah:
“Prince…”

Micaiah:
“Sir Knight?”

Pelleas:
“…And so…”

Pelleas:
“…And so, beloved friends and comrades dear. With thanks to you, our capital lies close! And if we do not act, if we turn back, the war still ends with us the victors proud, and Daein’s rule still falls back to our hands.”

Pelleas:
“And if we choose to fight and free this town, we may enrage the empire once again. Thus Daein’s fortune turns to sorrow swift. But while I speak, Nevassa’s hardship grows! Our brothers suffer, our sisters die, and…”

Pelleas:
“I shall not… I… I cannot ignore this tragedy. No man can, and certainly no prince… I cannot look away when my people suffer. And so I ask… I ask you all. Please, will you join me?!”

Daein Soldier 1:
“Long live the prince!”

Daein Soldier 2:
“Long live Prince Pelleas!”

Daein Soldier 2:
“Long live Daein! It’s time to save our country!”

Pelleas:
“Ah…”

He's even telling Micaiah to not take any overtly heroic risks which goes to show that he's asserting himself as the true leader and also asking her to join him in his effort to return Daein to its former glory

Spoiler

Micaiah:
“Very well, my prince. We are at your service.”

Pelleas:
“My army is arrayed and waiting. Be well. And…no overly heroic risks, please.”

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“You wear it well. Won’t you join me, as I champion Daein to a great new era? I’m counting on you.”

Micaiah:
“I will.”

Part 1 Summary

Pelleas begins as a kindhearted inexperienced boy who is quite submissive considering how easily he allowed Izuka and Micaiah to make all the decisions. Later on, after seeing the flaws in Izuka's plans due to his lacking moral values, he ends up becoming more authoritative with Izuka, but still reliant on Micaiah. Later on, he starts becoming envious of Micaiah which combined with Izuka pointing out how detrimental relying on Micaiah is on his leadership, he realizes he can't just rely on her and ends up taking charge in both strategy and leadership towards the end of the war. 

Part 3 

Chapter 3-5

It is revealed Pelleas is upset because Izuka and Black Knight disappeared. He has a lot more to worry about which will be revealed later which goes to show that in part 3, he's in a state of absolute crisis and arguably depressed. Anyway in spite of this, he pretty confidently gives Micaiah an order that he himself dislikes and knows Micaiah herself will dislike. This goes to show he's become a lot more authoritarian unlike in part one where he was meek and submissive. In contrast, Micaiah is no longer asserting herself over Pelleas around like she did before the end of part one to avoid hindering Pelleas' authority. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: Mother, please stop. Micaiah is my dear friend. She is the only person
    I have to turn to for a kind word now that Izuka and the Black Knight have
    both left Daein. They mysteriously disappeared on the day of my
    coronation... Do you think they'll ever return?

Almedha: I'm quire sure that they were both kidnapped by those who wish harm
    upon you, my beloved son! Those mongrels intend to throw the country into
    chaos by holding Daein's leaders hostage. But...Mother will always protect
    you, Pelleas. I will never leave you, not for one moment. When you seek
    kind words or good advice, you must come to me, and no one else.

Pelleas: I understand, Mother.

Almedha: The royal blood of Daein runs through your veins. Do not be afraid of
    your heritage. Reign over your people as a king. Whatever popularity that
    girl might garner from the peasants is of little consequence. She is your
    obedient subject, after all. Now, give her your orders.

Pelleas: Micaiah, Daein's Maiden of Dawn. Your king requires your service once
    more. Mobilize the Daein Royal Army immediately.

Micaiah: Another war? Against who?

Pelleas: We are answering the request from the Begnion Empire to wipe out the
    barbaric Laguz Alliance. Your targets are... Gallia's sub-humans!

Chapter 3-6

The fact Pelleas no longer smiles or laughs pretty much implies he's now depressed. While the BK and Izuka disappearing is part of the reason, there is a far more sinister reason as well. 

Spoiler

Micaiah: I don't know. I do know that King Pelleas wants what's best for
    Daein...just like us. He must know something we don't. I trust him. He's
    changed since the coronation, though. He doesn't smile or laugh anymore.
    Maybe it's because Izuka and the Black Knight vanished.

Chapter 3-12

Pelleas does stand up to Lekain in the beginning despite Begnion's superiority showing he's a good leader with a good head on his shoulders and quite assertive as he calls him out for making threats. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: I... I'm afraid I cannot deploy my army on Begnion's behalf. My
    country cannot continue to rebuild while fighting a war. Please understand.

Lekain: Ah, so you reject our request? Then I've no choice but to watch you and
    your people perish slowly.

Pelleas: What?! You came here to make threats?

However, apparently either Pelleas didn't bother reading the terms of the blood contract or he didn't properly understand them. I think this is bad writing because by the end of part one, we see that Pelleas isn't blindly following Izuka's orders so him not reading it doesn't make sense. We even learn later that Pelleas is capable of reading books so he's literate which makes it odd he can't understand the terms of the blood pact or didn't bother to read it. Even if he couldn't understand it, once Lekain shows it to him, there is no reason for him to realize what the terms of the blood pact are when he couldn't on the initial signing of it. 

Spoiler

Lekain:
“In truth, this wonderful scrap of parchment is a blood pact. Once you sign the paper in blood, you can never break the terms of the pact!”

Pelleas:
“A blood pact? But Izuka said he saw no problems with the terms of the treaty… No! Izuka? No, how could he…”

Lekain:
“That’s right. Izuka is one of us. He found the perfect king who would execute the senate’s will.”

Anyhow while Pelleas signing the blood pact makes little sense to me, the fact he kept it to himself despite it being detrimental does. First off, spreading the information to others puts the country at risk due to Begnion spies, especially if his close advisers decided to look into the matter and involve even more people. 

Spoiler

Lekain:
“I hope I’ve made myself clear. No matter how you struggle, you have no choice but to follow the orders given to you by the empire. No matter how noble your motives, defiance against us will result in the death of your nation. This you must never forget. Ahhh, and one more thing… If you’re considering seeking aid from outside of Daein, think again. We have spies and informants in every corner of Tellius. We will know immediately if you tell anyone.”

Pelleas also gave himself to despair and thought that there is no alternative to obeying the Senate and didn't want to spread the despair to anyone else. Also, making such a devastating mistake is very embarrassing so he obviously wouldn't want to get embarrassed either. 

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“Micaiah, there’s no way out of a blood pact. None! What do you suggest we do?”

Micaiah:
“Look for a way out. I know Duke Lekain says the pact can’t be broken, but of course he’d say that! King Pelleas, you have the resources of an entire country to draw on, and the best of reasons to do so. Check the royal library! Check the archives! Somewhere, I’m sure you’ll find…something. Just don’t give up.”

Pelleas:
“Micaiah, forgive me. I was so overwhelmed that I let myself give in to despair. But you’re absolutely right. We can’t give up just yet. We have people to save!”

Anyway, after talking to Micaiah, Pelleas becomes committed to fighting destiny unlike previously where he took destiny for granted. He also realizes that he needs the help of his comrades and can't shoulder the burden alone. In part one, Pelleas' flaw was that he didn't take any burdens upon himself and his character arc involved him taking more responsibility. However, Pelleas took it to extremes and ended up shouldering all the burdens himself. Now his development in part 3 is to reverse some of the development in part one to become a more balanced leader.  

Spoiler

Pelleas: I have to head back to the castle. I have to know if there is a way to break free of the blood pact.
Micaiah: Please be careful.
Pelleas: …Please, Micaiah. Stop being so kind to me. It’s too difficult for me.
Micaiah: I can feel how you’ve suffered. You’ve had to endure it all alone for so long. It’s ghastly.
Pelleas: It was my fault… I brought this curse upon Daein!
Micaiah: No! You didn’t know! I will protect Daein. I’ll protect our country from harm, no matter what happens. You have my word.
Pelleas: Micaiah… Very well. I won’t give up. We’ll fight destiny together.
Micaiah: Yes.
Pelleas: I want you to take this. I found another one in the treasure room of the castle. Stand fast, Micaiah. I will find a way to save Daein.
Micaiah: …

Chapter 3-13

Pelleas' research convinces him that the only way to stop the blood pact was for him to get killed by someone else. Pelleas may have been a coward for not speaking his own opinions in part one or failing to deliver information about his mistake in signing the blood pact but he's finally become brave enough to sacrifice himself as well as firmly argue with Micaiah and Tauroneo on why this has to be done. Never before has Pelleas made such a huge decision before. Also, the fact he insists Micaiah do the deed shows some wisdom considering how in the previous battle, her inability to accept an individual to die in front of her eyes was too much for her. By forcing her to kill him, she'd finally grow into a person who can allow her comrade to be sacrificed for the greater good so that the failure in the previous chapter doesn't happen again. 

Spoiler

Micaiah:
“You can’t be serious, Your Majesty!”

Pelleas:
“But, I am. Don’t you see?! This is the way to save Daein! The information was in a book hidden away in a secret room. I think it is reliable.”

Tauroneo:
“I must ask you to reconsider, my king. There has to be another way. There must be!”

Pelleas:
“We can’t afford to wait for another solution to present itself. We have to try.”

Micaiah:
“…I cannot go through with it.”

Pelleas:
“Micaiah, the life of every single person in Daein depends on this! If it works, we can stop fighting this absurd war. It will be all right. I know this will work! Please do this for me, Micaiah.”

Micaiah:
“I can’t! I thought I made up my mind… I thought I’d do anything for Daein! But then I saw Sothe taken from me, and I saw him fall… I was powerless to do anything! I’d taken so many lives as a general, and yet, when I thought of Sothe dead…”

Pelleas:
“Even if it hadn’t been Sothe in front of you, you would have reacted the same way. That’s the kind of person you are.”

Pelleas:
“Individual lives taken before your eyes weigh more heavily than the many lives taken during the chaos of war. If that life is someone dear, the burden is even worse. It’s only human. Isn’t that true?”

Pelleas:
“Micaiah. It’s your caring soul that I admire. That’s why I want it to be you.”

Pelleas:
“I want you to kill me.”

Micaiah:
“No, I can’t! I can’t do it! Don’t make me do this, please!”

Pelleas:
“The blood pact breaks when the pact-maker is killed by a third party. That is exactly how it’s written. This is the only way to save Daein.”

Micaiah:
“Please! Please don’t ask me to do such a horrible thing.”

Pelleas:
“This is my duty as king, Micaiah! If you won’t do it, I must ask someone else!”

Anyhow, if Pelleas dies, it ends up being a pointless death and so this analysis comes to a tragic end. But, you do have the option to save him on subsequent play-throughs so I'm not done just yet. Anyway,  Pelleas suggests part of the reason why he made the hasty decision to sacrifice himself was because of his strong sense of justice. He made a mistake that resulted in thousands of deaths and could potentially cause many more so to him, having him die is absolutely necessary to pay for his mistake. However, Micaiah calls him out and implies that part of the reason why Pelleas wants to rush to his death is to run away from his destiny as he's too afraid to face it. At the end of this dialogue, Pelleas realizes that there was an underlying selfish reason to sacrifice himself and that such a decision should not be made in haste.  

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“But this is my fault! It was all because I signed that blood pact! I can only amend my mistake by giving my life!”

Micaiah:
“You must stop running, Your Majesty.”

Pelleas:
“Wha–!”

Micaiah:
“But what if your information is incorrect, Your Majesty? I couldn’t live with myself if I’d let you give up your life in vain. There MUST be another way! We’ll look for it together. There is… I… I can see…”

Sothe:
“Micaiah! Hey, Micaiah! Wake up!”

Tauroneo:
“I will call a healer right away!”

(Tauroneo leaves, Micaiah collapses on the floor)

Pelleas:
“Micaiah… Thank you…”

Chapter 3E

As a result of Pelleas willing to sacrifice himself, he gains the courage to face Ike despite Ike being far more powerful and certain to beat him. 

Spoiler

Ike: You’re King Pelleas? The son of Mad King Ashnard? I expected you to be…bigger.
Pelleas: You are the hero of Crimea, General Ike. You killed my father…
Ike: It was nothing personal. Your father had to be put down. Wait, are you shaking?
Pelleas: I’ve never killed anyone before… I’ve never even stood on a battlefield before today.
Ike: Then why did you come here? Do you want to die?
Pelleas: I do, but it won’t change anything… I promised Micaiah that I wouldn’t run from my destiny. General Ike, you may be able to take me down easily, but I will not run!

If Pelleas is defeated, he retreats instead of doing a suicide by cop to show that he is now willing to face the problems he made and not run away from them as he attempted to do before. He's also shown firm commitment to defy his fate. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: To die in this lonely place… It’s my fate… But… For Micaiah… I must… I…must live…

Pelleas has also become somewhat of a badass at this point which goes to show how much he's grown as a character since part one and even the beginning of part 3.

Spoiler

Pelleas: If you thought to end this battle quickly by fighting me, you have made a grave mistake.

Finally, we see Pelleas tries to make Jill and Zihark mad at him by calling them traitors so that they don't willingly return. He makes them believe that this is because they are traitors who are no longer welcome but in reality it is to prevent them from becoming victims of the blood pact. This goes to show how Pelleas is willing to act like a villain to be a hero and shows his understanding nature as he is happy to see them betray him even though it hinders Daein even further. 

Spoiler

Zihark: King Pelleas. Would you please listen to what I have to say?
Pelleas: Zihark. What is there to talk about? You’ve deserted your country and your people.
Zihark: I just don’t understand. I thought I knew you. You are a good, kind man. Why do you continue to fight for those bloodsucking senators?
Pelleas: I don’t want to talk about it.
Zihark: Your Majesty…
Pelleas: It doesn’t concern you anymore. You’ve abandoned Daein–and us. If you want to stop us, use your sword–not words.
Zihark: My sword and my allegiance do lie elsewhere now, it’s true. But I am not without honor. I will not draw my sword against the man I call my king, no matter what.
Pelleas: …I’m sorry, Zihark. At least you’ll be spared from the curse of the pact.

Spoiler

Jill: King Pelleas! Please wait. I must talk to you.
Pelleas: Jill. I’m afraid I have nothing to say to you. You abandoned your own country.
Jill: No, I… Yes, I suppose that’s true. I just couldn’t understand why we would bow to the empire, after fighting so hard to free ourselves from their grasp! Why are you fighting an army that isn’t even an enemy of Daein?
Pelleas: You don’t need to understand.
Jill: King Pelleas…
Pelleas: Jill, you do what you think is best for you. Go your own way. But don’t return to Daein. Ever.
Jill: But I can’t do that! In the end, I am a native of Daein. This is where the body of my father lies. This is my home. My only home…
Pelleas: …I’m sorry, Jill. But there’s no need for you to fall prey to the curse as well.

Summary of Part 3

At the beginning of part 3, Pelleas decides to keep the blood pact to himself because he didn't want to burden anyone. This leads to him getting depressed. Eventually he is forced to spill the beans and is convinced by Micaiah to look for a solution. But he is still very sad about his actions and Micaiah has to comfort and reassure him which gives him strength. He ends up being committed to execute himself to potentially save Daein and to punish himself. If the execution is stopped by Micaiah, she convinces him to continue living but he still becomes brave enough to fight from this point onward, showing us how he's changed. Overall Pelleas develops from a leader who believes it is his duty to put all the burdens on himself to a leader who realizes that part of being a leader is to seek help from his close allies. 

Part 4

Pelleas calls Almedha out on worrying too much about him and gets irritated at her constantly being obsessed with him. 

Spoiler

Almedha:
“Pelleas, dear, how are you feeling?”

Pelleas:
“Mother, I’m fine. Please stop asking after my health.”

Almedha:
“But you’re so pale, darling. You were always such a sickly little boy… You should rest a while. We can’t have you exhausting yourself.”

Pelleas:
“No, Mother… If we stop walking now, we would slow the others.”

Almedha:
“Never mind them, sweetheart, they can wait. You should take a nice rest under that tree. Son, remember that you are a scion of both Daein’s and Goldoa’s royal families! You are more important than any of these peasants! The others can certainly wait for you; don’t spare a single thought for them.”

Pelleas:
“L-let go of me! Leave me alone!”

Pelleas:
“Haah!”

Pelleas:
“Mother!”

Almedha:
“Pelleas…”

Pelleas:
“I’m sorry, Mother. I…”

Almedha:
“Pelleas, wait! Pelleas!”

Almedha's concerns for Pelleas aren't without merit though as he does pant after the battle showing his weakness but he also shows his strength as he was praised by Tibarn of all people for his fighting prowess. 

Spoiler

Tibarn:
“That was some good work you did back there.”

Pelleas:
“Haaaa haaa haaa…”

Tibarn:
“…OK, just relax. Get it together…”

Pelleas:
“Haaa…haa…”

Tibarn:
“Hmm. I’ll go get the others. You just sit down and catch your breath.”

Pelleas:
“Haa huff… Ahem.”

Tibarn:
“Considering he’s the only son of Ashnard the Mad King, scourge of Crimea and butcher of innocents, he is quite the mama’s boy.”

Chapter 4-5

We see Pelleas finally out for blood and revenge so that Izuka pays for his betrayal. If you manage to kill Izuka with Pelleas, that is the most satisfying death Izuka deserves considering how detrimental Izuka's actions were for both Pelleas, his friends and the people of Daein. Furthermore, Pelleas finally learns he was not the true heir to the throne of Daein. 

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“Izuka!”

Izuka:
“Ah, my dear prince Pelleas! Excuse me, King Pelleas! I’d assumed that you had been turned to stone. How nice to see you again! But I am saddened to see that you would betray me and fight alongside these shortsighted fools! I found you and set you on the path to royalty! I served you well, did I not?”

Pelleas:
“I know that you’ve been working for the senate, Izuka.”

Izuka:
“So you found out. Very well. At least I don’t need to pretend anymore. It isn’t like you will spare my life, anyway.”

Pelleas:
“With most of Daein turned to stone, the blood pact can no longer harm anyone. But that doesn’t change the fact that you tricked me into risking the life of every citizen of my kingdom. Why would you betray me, Izuka? Were you ever loyal to Daein?”

Izuka:
“Betrayal? What of your betrayal of me? I remember well how you valued one worthless laguz life over mine! It was your betrayal that forced me to abandon my work! You were supposed to be my puppet, a weakling boy-king that I could control, giving me free reign!”

Pelleas:
“What? How could that be…”

Izuka:
“Oh, princeling boy, how completely I’ve fooled you…You are not King Ashnard’s son. All I did was look for a boy that could pass for the king’s son.”

Pelleas:
“But…Mother said…She said she was certain that I was her child!”

Izuka:
“Ah yes, Lady Almedha, paragon of sanity! She is certainly fit to identify a boy she hasn’t seen in fifteen years. She was so desperate to have her son again that she would have believed anything I told her.”

Pelleas:
“No…No! Stop it! Stop talking!”

Izuka:
“Aaaargh! But my work…is…still..incomplete…”

Endgame

Pelleas' boss quote with Lekain highlights his development throughout parts 1 and 3. As Pelleas says, he believes in himself, which is a belief acquired during part one. Next, he says he believes in his companions, a belief acquired during part 3. 

Spoiler

Pelleas: Vi-Vice-Minister Lekain…
Lekain: Hm? Ahhh, still alive, are we? I suppose that I can still find a use for you… I know! Go and attack the enemy general.
Pelleas: Um…
Lekain: Why are you not obeying, fool? That look on your face… You think you’re going to save your people! That is precious! You can’t possibly believe that one so flawed as you has a prayer against me?
Pelleas: I do, actually.
Lekain: Whaaat?! Did I hear you correctly?!
Pelleas: I said I believe. I believe in myself, and I believe in my companions. Even if I falter and fail… My friends will defeat you. This belief sustains me. I can fight you because I am no longer alone.
Lekain: Let us test your theory, then! Die, upstart!

Epilogue

Pelleas gains the confidence to confront his "mother" and tell her he's not her son even though the truth will break her heart. While the truth may be harsh, Pelleas learned through the blood pact ordeal that keeping an illusion of bliss isn't a good thing. 

Spoiler

Pelleas:
“I’m sorry.”

Almedha:
“But that’s… I don’t believe you! Because, see, my dear, you have the mark! Wait. Don’t you have a mark?”

Pelleas:
“No, Mother. Lady Almehda, is that the reason you thought me to be your son?”

Almedha:
“I…”

Pelleas:
“And that is the reason why Izuka chose me out of all the children at that orphanage.”

Almedha:
“Stop! This is impossible! You are my son. I am your mother, and I say so!”

Pelleas:
“Lady Almedha, your only memories of your son were of him as a baby. You yourself said so. In other words, he already had a mark, even as a child.”

Almedha:
“Yes, that’s so. What of it?”

Pelleas:
“This mark–my mark, here–is called the ‘Spirits’ Protection.’ When I was thirteen, I chose to make a pact with the spirits.”

Almedha:
“What?!”

Pelleas:
“When I learned that you were one of the dragon clan, I began to doubt. And slowly my doubt turned to certainty. I’m sorry, Lady Almedha. I’m sorry that, though it was never my intent, I ended up deceiving you. I’m sorry, but I am not your son.”

Almedha:
“P-Pelleas…”

Pelleas:
“But still… I was happy. It was fleeting, but… I knew the feeling of a mother’s love. You have my thanks.”

Almedha:
“I… Ah…sniff…”

I like how Pelleas gives up his throne but still serves Micaiah as her retainer. It shows that Pelleas is willing to give the throne to someone who is a better fit to be a leader but the fact he's still working in court shows that he's still an important figure who is there to contribute. 

Spoiler

After revealing his lack of royal blood, Pelleas gave up the throne but served at court, learning to speak easily to all.

Part 4 Summary

At the end of part 3 when Pelleas learns that Almedha is a laguz, he begins to doubt that he's the son of her. He also begins to become more independent from his mother and speak out against her obsession probably due to gaining more of a backbone and less dependent compared to originally. He ends up confronting his oppressors and finally comes to term with the fact he's not heir to the throne nor is he Almedha's son, just a lowly orphan. 

Overall Summary

When Pelleas is brought out into public life as the leader of the resistance, he is dependent on Izuka as he himself doesn't have any connections with Daein's elite. As a result, he lets Izuka run the show. Once Micaiah joins the army, he is easily impressed with her prowess. Later on, he's forced to mediate between Izuka and Micaiah, forcing him to grow into a leader and eventually becomes a dependent leader. Later on though, his development into a more assertive leader causes him to lose sight of his comrades especially when his original supporter betrayed him and ends up keeping everything to himself which just made his own situation, Daein's situation and ultimately the world's situation worse. But he ends up pulling through and gains strength through his comrades, but unlike in the beginning of the revolution, Pelleas himself will be an important contributor and not the submissive boy he was. 

Final Words

Please share with me your thoughts on Pelleas' character and whether I did him justice. Also, feel free to leave a suggestion for future characters to analyse. I'm interested in analysing characters that are often overlooked/underrated or over hated by the fan base. 

Edited by Icelerate

I'm so happy you made this <3 I've always been a Pelleas fan. He's such a different kind of prince, not the kind you see a lot of in FE, which I think makes him stand out to me. I also feel so bad for him at the end, being lied too about your family must be heart breaking. So I always try to make him be the one that kills Izuka, even if I wasn't planning on using him in the endgame.

I'm a huge Pelleas fan, and this analysis was very well done! I will share one other thing I feel might have been worth mentioning: he has a boss quote not only with Lekain, but with Sephiran as well. I don't recall the exact exchange, but Sephiran basically confirms what Pelleas already basically knows at this point after fighting Izuka: that Pelleas is nobody too special, just a beorc with particularly strong magic. He does, however, say that Pelleas served an essential role in spreading war across the entire continent as per Sephiran's plan to awaken Ashera, and thanks him for this. This causes Pelleas to react with great anger, and much like with Lekain, he shows his backbone in confronting Sephiran and being determined to make him pay for using him as a pawn. Although, he does get so worked up that he actually ends up vomiting in front of Sephiran, probably having to do with pent-up stress and anger from his realizations over the course of Part 4. And honestly, as... TMI as that might seem, it shows a side of him that probably didn't exist before Part 4 and makes for a great moment.

Nice character analysis. The love is there.

For myself, in a nutshell, Pelleas has been definable by a good heart with good intention, but utter ineptitude in bring those intentions to fruition. His noble self-sacrifice is less about running selfishly away, as a mockery of noble sacrifices. Pelleas is so pathetic he can't even die right, and has to have somebody else kill him.

This is not to say I dislike Pelleas, I actually do like him a lot. He is truly, as his leitmotif is called, "Sorrowful Prince Pelleas"; although "Pitiable Prince Pelleas" might be a clearer wording of what he is.

Nor can one blame Pelleas for everything that happens to him. His signing of the Blood Pact? Yes, that is a real and fair criticism, Pelleas was stupid there, done thinking it would be for the better of his country- his good intentions at work, albeit he never actually read the darned paper himself. But at the same time, Izuka intentionally chose him to be a puppet on the orders of Lekain and more implicitly Sephiran. Pelleas could have no idea of this prior Parts 3 and 4, even if Izuka was clearly a loon. A loon certainly doesn't have to mean someone is working for the enemy.

I do like Pelleas stepping down from the Daein monarchy. He isn't actually Ashnard's son, so the Hengist Dynasty (assuming it wasn't supplanted earlier and we don't know it) is well and truly dead (Soren wouldn't want it even if Pelleas knew). Maybe Pelleas be a fine king in an era that sat in the middle of a Pax Telliusana, but not at the founding of one when more was demanded of a monarch. Pelleas tried to be king for a while, he really gave it his all, but it didn't work out for him or for his country. He doesn't have the bloodline, he doesn't have the merit to rise to the highest office, what right does he have to the throne?

Micaiah hasn't the bloodline the same. But she has proven merit greater than his. She harbors the same love for her country as Pelleas does. And the masses love Micaiah more than Pelleas, therefore, she ticks off three of four boxes for the monarchal office. Pelleas has only one.

15 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I think this is bad writing because by the end of part one, we see that Pelleas isn't blindly following Izuka's orders so him not reading it doesn't make sense. We even learn later that Pelleas is capable of reading books so he's literate which makes it odd he can't understand the terms of the blood pact or didn't bother to read it. Even if he couldn't understand it, once Lekain shows it to him, there is no reason for him to realize what the terms of the blood pact are when he couldn't on the initial signing of it. 

Growing a spine of defiance once does not mean always. Pelleas still trusted Izuka a lot, he was likely really busy doing a lot of kingly stuff, which would be overwhelming for this still unsteady newfound prince. Pelleas likely appreciated having a close advisor handle some of the very large workload ahead of him. And Izuka if it came to it could have easily bullied with insistence Pelleas into signing it, particularly if he caught him at a moment when Tauroneo or Micaiah wasn't around.

2 hours ago, MegaTheGamer said:

Although, he does get so worked up that he actually ends up vomiting in front of Sephiran, probably having to do with pent-up stress and anger from his realizations over the course of Part 4. And honestly, as... TMI as that might seem, it shows a side of him that probably didn't exist before Part 4 and makes for a great moment.

Agreed, I like this. It's very unusual, but does drive home that Pelleas isn't suited for the great burdens of war or regnal peace, he is frail in ordinary ways (as opposed to special ways like Micaiah).

Not so much a character comment, but I do like having a playable Spirit Charmer just to put a face to them in Tellius and prove they exist. It helps the Branded a little by having them exist as well. 

Visually speaking, I think should be mentioned in passing with Pelleas's character. In particular, his blue hair is likely inspired by Ashnard. Ashnard had blue hair, it'd be wholly plausible his son would also have it, it'd be an easy connection. In reality the son of Ashnard inherited a shade similar to his consort Almedha's dark green, and that is a clever trick on IS's part.

Blue hair combined with maleness also draws a, more coincidental than by design I would say, character comparison and parallel between Pelleas and Ike. Ike is blue-haired like most old FE lords, and Ike is a very strong and talented person, Pelleas is quite the opposite. And regardless of hair color, most old FE lords are princes who must save the day, Pelleas is the prince who doesn't, and who instead royally screws up. Sigurd is the only one to flub up as badly as Pelleas, Leif is the Lord of Nonstarters, but even he gets a happy ending.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

This. . .uh, kind of falls apart in 1-5.  I assume he knows what a Branded is.  He also knows how he got his mark.  Hence he concluded he probably wasn't the lost son of King Ashnard, since it was his brand that was the "proof".  My guess is that he plays along with Izuka, hence why he's so hesitant to stand up to him early-on.  Once he saw that Micaiah and her band were capable, he realizes that he has an out should things go sour with Izuka.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:54 PM, eclipse said:

This. . .uh, kind of falls apart in 1-5.  I assume he knows what a Branded is.  He also knows how he got his mark.  Hence he concluded he probably wasn't the lost son of King Ashnard, since it was his brand that was the "proof".

Pelleas I'm pretty sure doesn't know Almedha is a Dragon Laguz until the start of 3-F, if he lives that long. Dragon Laguz look very human, no wings or fur; and you'd think there would be wild stories being spun throughout Daein if it was publicly known Ashnard had a Dragon Wife. Goldoa is an extremely isolated country, Daein is very racist, and Dragons by being so rare and powerful, have a mythic quality to them- all grounds for rumors swirling around Almedha if anyone in Daein knew the truth of her. Would public opinion even let Ashnard have an openly Branded child?

Furthermore, if he knew Almedha wasn't his real mother as early as 1-5, and knows beyond all doubt at that point that he isn't a Branded, then why doesn't he snap at this crazy stranger woman until Part 4? It isn't like Pelleas really wanted the Daein throne at all, the only thing he got from her that he got was having anything like a mother's love for a brief time in his life.

Micaiah, despite being Pelleas's highest general, is not informed of Almedha's race until Kurthnaga transforms at the start of 3-F's battle. And at that point she only deduces it herself.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Micaiah, despite being Pelleas's highest general, is not informed of Almedha's race until Kurthnaga transforms at the start of 3-F's battle. And at that point she only deduces it herself.

I mean isn't that deduction pretty obvious for anyone to make? Since you've commented and read all my analysis, who do you want me to do next? I personally voted for Deghinsea and see that he's tied with Lucia so I want more people to vote or to convince me who to analyse. I'm leaning towards Deghinsea because he's a great foil to Kurth who I've already done so it'll be more fun to analyse. On the other hand, analysing Almedha is going to be interesting due to her character arc revolving around Pelleas and Kurthnaga to some extent, both characters I've already analysed. 

On 6/20/2019 at 7:03 AM, Rose482 said:

I'm so happy you made this ❤️ I've always been a Pelleas fan. He's such a different kind of prince, not the kind you see a lot of in FE, which I think makes him stand out to me. I also feel so bad for him at the end, being lied too about your family must be heart breaking. So I always try to make him be the one that kills Izuka, even if I wasn't planning on using him in the endgame.

You've also seen most if not all my analysis so who do you want me to analyse next? 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:25 PM, MegaTheGamer said:

I'm a huge Pelleas fan, and this analysis was very well done! I will share one other thing I feel might have been worth mentioning: he has a boss quote not only with Lekain, but with Sephiran as well. I don't recall the exact exchange, but Sephiran basically confirms what Pelleas already basically knows at this point after fighting Izuka: that Pelleas is nobody too special, just a beorc with particularly strong magic. He does, however, say that Pelleas served an essential role in spreading war across the entire continent as per Sephiran's plan to awaken Ashera, and thanks him for this. This causes Pelleas to react with great anger, and much like with Lekain, he shows his backbone in confronting Sephiran and being determined to make him pay for using him as a pawn. Although, he does get so worked up that he actually ends up vomiting in front of Sephiran, probably having to do with pent-up stress and anger from his realizations over the course of Part 4. And honestly, as... TMI as that might seem, it shows a side of him that probably didn't exist before Part 4 and makes for a great moment.

That was a good boss conversation but I thought I didn't really have anything to say about it without repeating some details. It does more for Sephiran's character than Pelleas so I might bring it up if I ever analyse his character. 

13 hours ago, Icelerate said:

You've also seen most if not all my analysis so who do you want me to analyse next? 

On 6/20/2019 at 8:25 PM, MegaTheGamer said:

I voted for Lucia, but I see that Deghinsea is also getting votes...and really I would be happy with any of those two getting a analyse next ^_^

Very well done analysis, it was good to read. I think Pelleas is quite underrated as a character. What I like the most about him is the fact that IS didn't shy away from making one of the good characters actually not suited for his role. And he is always criticised about his decisions and actions through the events of the story. It's the opposite of what happens with Elincia. Elincia lets her country fall into a civil war because of her insecurities? You have all the playable characters of that arc saying that it doesn't mind, because she had good intentions. Pelleas lets his country fall in ruin because of his insecurities? The game makes clear that he made a mistake, even if he had good intentions, and I prefer this approach to a character actually, not the one they had to Elincia.

I also don't think that Pelleas being tricked into signing the pact by Izuka is bad writing. He surely became less obedient to him in part one, but not completely independent yet. And this is shown in part 3, where he is upset at Izuka's disappearence, because he still relies on him.

Pelleas reminds me waaay too much of a character I'm not a fan of, who also did something unbelievably moronic. That should be enough to tell you my stance on him.

Anyway, I don't see how he could trust Izuka, who couldn't make it any more obvious he's evil if he tried.

17 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, I don't see how he could trust Izuka, who couldn't make it any more obvious he's evil if he tried.

I believe there was a part in the story where something about that got brought up. If I remember correctly, Micaiah asked Pelleas why was he following Izuka's orders, and I believe he said something about how he just felt like he owes Izuka that for both making him reunite with his mother AND for sorta teaching him how to be noble and such.

Now that might make him look weak/stupid, but I sorta understand where he's coming from at the same time. Becasue in a way Izuka did make Pelleas's life something that I'm sure he never dreamed of it becoming, so I can see why Pelleas will just feel like he owes Izuka enough to not question his ways, even if he himself doesn't approve of them all the time.