Games Generally Considered Good, You Don't Like

Ilboss

Fallout 4 is just bad.

(it wasn't really considered amazing by anyone but still.) 

Warioland 4 is a good game, but not really my cup of tea.

(probably because I hate being timed in videogames.)

The only Mario game that got me any reaction other than contempt for Shit-Geru was Galaxy 1. Honestly, it was a real nice "fuck you" to him when it turned out that some creation staff under him actually sneaked in Rosalina's backstory. That old dinosaur should stick himself into a glass box in a museum.

Mario Kart is also I no longer play. The AI cheating is just too cheap now, and they even had the galls to create retarded kiddy kindergarten version of F-Zero stages that does not even resemble the lightning speed of the latter game.

I was looking forward to Pokemon RSE, only to be disappointed with RSE's worldbuilding that departed from the alternate universe versions of real-life Earth RBY and GSC did. They should have gone overseas to Alola, Guam/Saipain, Southern California, or coastal Queensland from that point onwards instead of making an inaccurate version of Kyushu which the real-life version is nowhere near as tropical. Dishonourable mention to ORAS, where they did the same thing yet again after how XY went back closer to a well-imitated version of northern France, when they could have made the region to actually be connected to Johto like below, and explicitly confirm it as an alternate RL!Japan:

LLq5sQK.jpg

Edited by henrymidfields

Live service/MOBA games such as Fortnite, Destiny 2, Anthem, LoL, and Overwatch has no appeal to me.

Fallout 4 is okay because of mods. The vanilla FO4 was a poor experience indeed. 

11 minutes ago, grinus said:

Fallout 4 is okay because of mods. The vanilla FO4 was a poor experience indeed. 

I'm sure it is a much better experience with mods, but I shouldn't need to use mods to enjoy a game.

I will always hate Dark Souls with a passion. That game has zero story whatsoever and the game play just isn't fun. The combat is extremely slow and not at all dynamic in any way. The hitboxes are absolute garbage, and the game breaks its own rules more times than I can blink in a whole year. There is a difference between being a difficult game and being a game that is actually just supposed to make you angry by being broken.

Animal Crossing: Good God, this series is extremely boring. Lackluster music, unmemorable characters besides a very select few. It took five games for villagers to stop building their houses on your creations. People love this series but i genuinely can't see the appeal. I'd much rather play something like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory.

pretty much the whole damn Tales of series

i bought abyss, symphonia chronicles (the collection with both symphonia games for ps3), xillia and zestiria

i dropped them all in a few hours

Edited by Yexin

Pokémon as a whole franchise because I cannot stand very most of these creatures, especially Pikachu. 

The way I got into its gameplay was by playing Touhou Puppet Dancer Perfomance

Also platformers because I am terrible in these.

However there is a platformer for the Wii have to play nonetheless just to figure out the origin of one certain character I adore. 

Mario Odyssey- Like, it's an okay game. But it's definitely not amazing and I don't think it deserves as much praise as it gets. It can't compare to something like Breath of the Wild.

Majora's Mask- Again, a good game. But I often see people call it one of the best Zelda games ever. Like, what? It's good, but not that good. Not nearly that good.

Street Fighter IV- Only Street Fighter game I've ever played and it just wasn't good. I'm pretty into fighting games, but that one definitely wasn't for me.

That's about all I can think of. I usually don't bother with games that I wouldn't think I'd like.

My go to game for this kind of discussion is pretty much always Advance Wars. I'm constantly thinking about giving it another shot, but then I think of that agonizingly long chore of a tutorial you're required to play through just to get to the actual game and I lose all interest again.

Another big one for me is Dust: An Elysian Tail, a much beloved indie game that's got an absolutely gorgeous art style and solid gameplay mechanics, but it gets repetitive pretty quickly and the difficulty spike around the mid portion of game is absolutely ludicrous.

I have come to the conclusion that The Legend of Zelda isn't for me. The games look great and I'm sure they're fun, but they're not for me.

Pokémon (Ultra) Sun and (Ultra) Moon - I played the demo. It was boring, the world felt entirely soulless, the music was bad, and the characters annoyed me the moment they appeared. Not to mention that I don't like a single one of the new Pokémon (some I would consider okay, but "okay" doesn't cut it for me when it comes to Pokémon anymore. Especially not after six whole generations) and the Alola Forms of older Pokémon are atrocious (they ruined Persian, Raticate, and Exeggutor), with one or two exceptions (Vulpix, Ninetales, and Sandslash). I then read a walkthrough and watched parts of the story and... I still wasn't convinced these games are all they're cranked up to be.

Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals - I played through it and I was struggling the whole way, and not in a good way. FE6 is marred by some very bizarre design decisions, most notably the absolute BS that is the ambush reinforcements and the low hit rates, leaving you open to severe RNG screwage, which, with my luck, happened more times than I'd like to admit. The one good thing I can say about this game is that its final boss is possibly one of the most interesting ones they've had in these games.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - Yeah, yeah. BS story, BS characters. We've all heard that before. But I don't think the gameplay is all that great, either. Similarly to FE6, I struggled in every single playthrough I did of this path and I never felt that I genuinely had fun. Especially during my various attempts at playing on Hard Mode. I know RNG is a fickle thing and it's not the same for everyone, but for whatever reason, this game just absolutely made sure not to let me have any fun with it.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - I've already talked about this in detail, so I'll spare you the sermon, but I think this game is far, FAR from the best Warriors game. Between having too many characters, 90% of which are useless unless you grind (and even then, only a handful of characters is actually really good), many clones, a terrible story even for crossover standards, mostly terrible and/or bland Original The Characters, and an entire game within a game filled to the brim with bullshit difficulty, I don't see what exactly it is that makes this game 'the best Warriors game'.

And finally, to close us off: Every FPS ever. I just can't enjoy them.

Edited by DragonFlames

So I came here with a list of games I wanted to rag on, but found pretty much every single one had been done by someone else first. Seeing as this is the case, I've decided to quote comments and add my own thoughts.

I also want to add Ratchet and Clank as a series. I know other people like it, but as it goes something about weapons system bugs me. It's just so many of them feel there to give an illusion of more options rather than to serve any kind of actual function. There's usually one or two that are particularly useful, and the broken RHYNO variant you have to grind for, but as a whole they are almost... meaningless. Though perhaps that was the point.

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

90% of all FPS games

Pretty much me. Which made my teenage years hell. Apart from oddities like Metroid Prime or the Darkness I have no real love for this genre.

58 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

Mario Kart is also I no longer play. The AI cheating is just too cheap now, and they even had the galls to create retarded kiddy kindergarten version of F-Zero stages that does not even resemble the lightning speed of the latter game. 

To be honest, I didn't much care for the Mario Karts/Mario parties going back to the beginning. Even the ones I liked as a kid kind of lost their shine on growing older.

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

I was looking forward to Pokemon RSE,

While our reasons are different, I despised RSE (the water heavy map). Seriously the lack of variety in late Game Ruby/Sapphire thanks to the fact they had to have about half the map be water due to the whole "Groudon/Kyogre" plot ruined it for me. It also made training anything that was weak to water hell in late game.

43 minutes ago, Slumber said:

and pretty much all of the God of War series outside of GoW2.

Yeah, I never quite got the appeal of playing a character who in all essence was a colossal douchebag with father issues as he goes around violently killing mythological entities. I mean if I wanted the violence, I kind of already had Mortal Kombat.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Animal Crossing: Good God, this series is extremely boring. Lackluster music, unmemorable characters besides a very select few. It took five games for villagers to stop building their houses on your creations. People love this series but i genuinely can't see the appeal. I'd much rather play something like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory.

I always thought of that as a meme franchise myself. The only one that had any selling point was the gamecube one for the in game NES games... which ultimately ended up irrelevant thanks to the virtual console.

33 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Pretty much just LoZ: The Wind Waker and LoZ: Majora's Mask. Both have a ton of fans, but I dislike both a lot.

While I'm one of those fans for Majora's Mask... I'll heartily agree on the Wind Waker. Sailing is boring and even the swift sail in the HD remake wasn't enough to get me through a replay. Which is sad, because there are parts of the game I like.

23 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

Street Fighter IV- Only Street Fighter game I've ever played and it just wasn't good. I'm pretty into fighting games, but that one definitely wasn't for me. 

I actually came here to single out the Street Fighter series as inferior fighters lacking either the charm/control of others in the genre. Mind I'm not a big fighting game fan, but I'm of the opinion Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, or even Clay Fighter had something I enjoyed and this series just lacks it.

10 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

My go to game for this kind of discussion is pretty much always Advance Wars. I'm constantly thinking about giving it another shot, but then I think of that agonizingly long chore of a tutorial you're required to play through just to get to the actual game and I lose all interest again.

Same boat. That tutorial kills my interest so fast it hurts.

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

While I'm one of those fans for Majora's Mask... I'll heartily agree on the Wind Waker. Sailing is boring and even the swift sail in the HD remake wasn't enough to get me through a replay. Which is sad, because there are parts of the game I like.

Yeah, I thought sailing was boring too, even with the Swift Sail, though that made it a bit less so. I also thought the game was far too easy and shouldn't have cut the two extra dungeons that it was originally meant to have. The sea also felt too empty with how tiny most of the islands were.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I thought sailing was boring too, even with the Swift Sail, though that made it a bit less so. I also thought the game was far too easy and shouldn't have cut the two extra dungeons that it was originally meant to have.

Tell me about it. I can understand it with Majora or Breath of the Wild. The former was made in a short development time and focused more on sidequests, whereas the latter was focused on exploration and an open world (thus breaking with the usual Zelda conventions). Wind Waker kind of tried to keep the conventions but at the same time was a bit lacking in dungeons, instead padding out the game with that whole "get charts and pull the Triforce pieces out of the ocean" bit. Which I felt was a real pace killer. Actually out of everything I think that's the single part that bugs me most. The sad part being I probably wouldn't have minded something similar as a sidequest, but in the main story it felt out of place.

1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Tell me about it. I can understand it with Majora or Breath of the Wild. The former was made in a short development time and focused more on sidequests, whereas the latter was focused on exploration and an open world (thus breaking with the usual Zelda conventions). Wind Waker kind of tried to keep the conventions but at the same time was a bit lacking in dungeons, instead padding out the game with that whole "get charts and pull the Triforce pieces out of the ocean" bit. Which I felt was a real pace killer. Actually out of everything I think that's the single part that bugs me most. The sad part being I probably wouldn't have minded something similar as a sidequest, but in the main story it felt out of place.

I felt that Majora's Mask focusing so much on sidequests was one of it's big flaws. I like some sidequests as much as the next person, but MM had so many that it took away from the short and dull main game. And I also don't like the three day system at all.

Back to TWW though, I both liked and disliked that Triforce part. I liked it because I actually like going to hunt for important goodies like that. But I disliked it because of fucking Tingle.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I felt that Majora's Mask focusing so much on sidequests was one of it's big flaws. I like some sidequests as much as the next person, but MM had so many that it took away from the short and dull main game. And I also don't like the three day system at all.

Back to TWW though, I both liked and disliked that Triforce part. I liked it because I actually like going to hunt for important goodies like that. But I disliked it because of fucking Tingle.

Oh, I like the idea, it's just I'd have liked it more as a sidequest I think. More so because it would have meant not going back to gyorg surrounded Tingle island and dealing with Tingle unless I wanted to. Something about those things scared the crap out of me as a kid. (the Gyorgs, not the loon who thinks he's a fairy) It's funny in retrospect how easy they are to deal with.

On Majora's Mask, I actually liked the sidequests because I didn't like the main Dungeons (with the exception of Stone Tower). There was nothing inherently wrong with the Woodfall temple, but it was unremarkable. I found Snowhead a bit sleep inducing (I think it's the music to be honest), and the Great Bay... well I enjoy it more than the previous water temple... but that's not saying much. To me the sidequests were the main attraction and the dungeons were kind of just these prequisites that I'd go through to get to them. An odd way of looking at it, but it's worked for me for years. An ironic mindset that. Then again, I largely held a similar one every time I dealt with a Great Beast in Breath of The Wild (this'll change this area/open up new sidequests).

3 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Oh, I like the idea, it's just I'd have liked it more as a sidequest I think. More so because it would have meant not going back to gyorg surrounded Tingle island and dealing with Tingle unless I wanted to. Something about those things scared the crap out of me as a kid. (the Gyorgs, not the loon who thinks he's a fairy) It's funny in retrospect how easy they are to deal with.

Yeah, I agree there.

4 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

On Majora's Mask, I actually liked the sidequests because I didn't like the main Dungeons (with the exception of Stone Tower). There was nothing inherently wrong with the Woodfall temple, but it was unremarkable. I found Snowhead a bit sleep inducing (I think it's the music to be honest), and the Great Bay... well I enjoy it more than the previous water temple... but that's not saying much. To me the sidequests were the main attraction and the dungeons were kind of just these prequisites that I'd go through to get to them. An odd way of looking at it, but it's worked for me for years. An ironic mindset that. Then again, I largely held a similar one every time I dealt with a Great Beast in Breath of The Wild (this'll change this area/open up new sidequests).

Oh yeah, I actually LOVED Stone Tower. I'd say it and Ikana Canyon are some of my favorite things in the whole series. But I agree on the other dungeons, they weren't remarkable, and imo Great Bay Temple is actually more annoying than anything. In fact, now that I think about it, I never really enjoyed any of the water dungeons in the series much as far as I can tell. I tend to enjoy the fire and desert ones.

And I do think many of MM's sidequests are fine in themselves, I just felt there were too many.

53 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Pretty much just LoZ: The Wind Waker and LoZ: Majora's Mask. Both have a ton of fans, but I dislike both a lot.

I really like The Wind Waker, but I agree about Majora's Mask. I liked the transformation masks, but I disliked the 3-Day Cycle and the constant atmosphere of dread and eeriness. I realize that those things are intentional, and objectively they are well-done. But it really is not my cup of tea.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I thought sailing was boring too, even with the Swift Sail, though that made it a bit less so. I also thought the game was far too easy and shouldn't have cut the two extra dungeons that it was originally meant to have. The sea also felt too empty with how tiny most of the islands were.

I disagree about the sailing, but I agree about the missing dungeons and the emptiness. If they had combined different islands and reduced the map size to about 75% of what it is, then that would have been a lot better. As for the cut content, both The Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine have this issue: the latter half of the game being obviously rushed and either half-finished or outright cut because they weren't given enough time to finish the game. What I find funny about that is that it was Shigeru Miyamoto himself who once said something like, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

That being said, despite all that, I really enjoy The Wind Waker. The same can't be said for Super Mario Sunshine though despite how much I like all the different gameplay FLUDD provides. 

Anyway, another game I dislike despite it generally being considered good would be Twilight Princess. Don't get me wrong; there's a lot about this game that I really liked when I played it. But there are so many things I felt were wasted. Wolf Link is horrendously underused and combat as Wolf Link is just terrible. The Twilight's also underutilized, and Hyule barely feels in trouble anymore after the first act, as Zant's fled back to the Twilight Realm and the most that Ganon's done at this point is put a crystal around Hyrule Castle. Seriously? I like Zant being subservient to Ganon, but Ganon doesn't do nearly enough, and Zant just flees back to the Twilight Realm that he despised. Princess Zelda is also badly underused, and much of the action happens off-screen. Remember when Link was at the forefront of the action in Zelda games? Ocarina of Time, Majora's Maask and Wind Waker all had this, but in Twilight Princess, almost everything's off-screen. 

Well, I could say Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy 2

-Twilight Princess: I think it tried too hard to become another OOT, to start, with some edge added, but I think it made it feel lifeless. Speaking of lifelessness, the world was too big, but too empty, and most characters had unmemorable, and most of the time, ugly designs. It started the take your hand nonsense in difficulty, and the tutorial was exceedingly long

-Mario Galaxy 2: Mario Galaxy had it’s flaws, mainly the take your hand bullshit difficulty, but it had soul, and you know the world was built with care. I can’t say the same with this one. It was clear to be made as a cash grab, and some of the first game’s faults were accentuated, most notorious for me, the prankster comets. I heard the second journey with the green stars is much worse, but I was so mad at this game that I just bothered with the first 120 stars, and that’s it