Least Favorite FE game

Ilboss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revelation. Maps are gimmicky and bad, balancing is shite, story is god awful and is overall not an enjoyable experience for me tbh.

I am gonna go with Fire Emblem: Fates (all 3 versions). FE6 is a close second, but I just cannot look past Fates's jaw-dropping flaws. The story is just abysmal, and I absolutely hated the shoehorning of the child units into this game. 

Jugdral. Everyone always talks about how good the stories are. But the gameplay is an absolute mess. FE4 is a complete unbalanced slog with glimpses of good ideas. Thracia is just Kaga forgetting that games need to be fun to play. 

Honestly, the only actually fun Kaga-era FE game was FE3. FE1 and 2 aren't fun but that's more of the limitations of the NES being in play as opposed to the gameplay actually being bad like it is in Jugdral.

Fates since i just don't think of it as a Fire Emblem gam- cough cough

anyway, i must say Binding Blade

Edited by Yexin

fire emblem awakening, only entry to fail in every regard, no awkward kaga era annoyances compare to the barebones unbalanced mess that is awakening and unlike shadow dragon there is no good reason, no remake of a game from the 90s here. At least fates has solid gameplay.

Revelations, the game that not only fails to deliver on the story Fates has tried to hype up, but whose chapters were nowhere near as complex and the gimmicks caused much frustration in Valla as a whole. It also doesn't help that the cast balance (Which differs from class balance, where Genealogy is tough to beat) might actually be the worst in the series, though it has its competitors.

It honestly fails as a sandbox where you can use anyone as a result too, no Scarlet/Izana/Yukimura smh.

Shadow Dragon would very easily be my least favorite. I feel the game very fundamentally goes against what I find important in a Fire Emblem. Gameplay and map design is important but what separates Fire Emblem from advance wars is that every unit is a person with its own personality, life, hopes and dreams. Having a cast almost solely consisting of mutes goes against that. 

As a general rule I tend to find stories and villains important too but Shadow Dragon tells its story in the most boring way imaginable and all the villains don't eve bother showing up before its time for their boss fight. 

So all in all Shadow Dragon and me just don't match very well. 

Two way tier between Radiant Dawn and Awakening. Awakening ONLY beats RD on the engine and soundtrack (Awakening's is fantastic, RD is the only FE one I actively dislike), but god those are huge advantages. 

I think both of those games have similarly badly designed maps, which rely on juggernauting and lots of enemies on empty fields (no need to explain it on awakening, but for RD, see Geoffrey's Charge or From Pain, Awakening as exemples), which coupled with the already mentioned bad engine (i.e. it's slow as fuck) and the amount of allied units (whose actions don't affect the battle but make stuff more slow) make the game just a slog to play for me. While Awakening is even worse designed in most way (like, it has worse maps, pair up is a broken mess, Robin is even more overpowered than Haar, etc), the amazing fast engine makes the game more playable and somehow less tedious. I'm not someone who cares about immersion on story, so the things that make people immersed on RD do nothing for me, or even worse, actually make the game worse, such as the ammount of allied enemies, which to many makes the game "feel like a real war", but to me just make it more tedious. Micaiah also annoys me to no end, being a very emotional person who can't really see the perspective of people she can't sympatize with and being blindly loyal to Daein, a country PoR (a game I enjoyed way more) portrayed as pure evil, while being overly rash on Crimeans and the Greil Mercenaries (a group PoR portrayed as marally good, and who were only trying to protect their country).

I don't like the approach RD took with the soundtrack either. Its songs lack memorable melodies, going with lots of instruments playing at once and abrupt changes, which I do not enjoy. A good soundtrack can make longs turns much more bearable (e.g. FE4), but sadly RD's sort of hurt my ears, so that is another point that makes the game not very playable to me.

PS: I'm counting Fates as a whole. Conquest is legit my favorite in the series, but BR and RV are... not stuff I ever feel interest in returning to, so I'm not interested in talking about them. They're so unremarkable I don't even feel any interest in criticising them.

Edited by Nobody

Fates.  Worst character in history (Corrin), worst story in history (Corrin shares blame here), most pandering in history and most sexually inappropriate in history.  Triple dipping thanks to three game split is really bad as well.  All Fire Emblem is 'anime' but Fates takes the worst of that genre throwing every overused trope at you and having few characters with any real depth or originality.  

I haven't played that many games but Fates Revelation by a mile. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by a video game. I thought it was gonna answer all the questions I had from playing the other two routes but instead all of that was locked behind (more) DLC. Once everyone went to Valla there was nothing at all interesting about the story and everything just felt like filler, and that final cutscene makes me cringe every time.

Out of all the games I've played FE7 is the least noteworthy, has some gimmicky maps and the Eliwood/Hector Mode split was unnecessary, so I guess I'll go with that.

Gaiden/Echoes. 

All of the great weapon/class mechanics and storytelling in the world can't make up for being a strategy game with pitiful, basic map design.

Shadow Dragon in 2nd worst for the exact opposite reasons. FE needs both gameplay and story, and SD's storytelling/characters are as non-existent as Echoes' map design.

Edited by Etheus

There's exactly one FE game I could never finish, and that is FE4.  I felt like only half of Sigurd's army was necessary.  Sigurd himself was the other half.

Probably Shadow Dragon, though to be honest I'm not a huge fan of any of FE1-3 and their remakes. Shadow Dragon, though, has some inexplicable design choices (e.g. how it handles gaidens) to go with its threadbare plot/characters/gameplay.

To be clear, I still played it twice, there's no such thing as a truly bad Fire Emblem to me.

FE7? Its not bad gameplay wise but the plot is pretty boring. By the time you get to Dread Isles things become interesting, but then after that it felt boring again

Another contender would be Shadow Dragon. Main complain are the bleh battle sprites and the way gaidens were handled.

Tellius....I'm gonna get shit on..

The games really don't deserve the amount of praise it gets.

The characters are kinda lackluster, the setting isn't that memorable, and the gameplay is kind of boring. 

The games aren't BAD, no FE game is imo. It just lacks the "these characters are so good they're like family to me" type of feeling. The games are OK at best.

I haven’t played many FE games. However, out of FE7, FE8, FE10, Awakening, Fates, and Echoes...I’m gonna have to go with Sacred Stones. It’s just kind of...unremarkable. It is OK in almost every aspect. For example: Radiant Dawn and Echoes had very strong stories. 7 and Awakening had incredible character interactions, and Fates has probably the best gameplay system out of any game in the series so far. However, they all have their flaws, as well. Echoes has boring map design. Radiant Dawn and FE7 have poor character balance. Fates’ story is atrocious, and Awakening is the most unbalanced game of all time in every way. However, Sacred Stones is just...average. Gameplay is OK, but nothing special. Character balance is good, but the characters themselves don’t really stick out. Story is unoriginal, but not in a bad way. Nothing really sticks out to me. I have, on a few occasions, forgot the Scared Stones existed. That is not the mark of a good game, for me.