Finn Father Questions

Dr. C

So I know that Finn loses his Brave Lance if he fathers a child but...  what about inheritance? 

Dies he pass down the Silver Blade if he kills Chagal?

Im asking because Charisma/Miracle is such a nice combo for Nanna and her brother. (The spelling variations of him and their mother make me not want to touch that)

I was very satisfied with Beowulf last time but When Nanna is in harms way in Chapter 7 and 8 it gets a bit scary.

Yes, he can pass it down.

Basically, children receive what they can use in their base classes. It doesn't matter if the parents could or couldn't use them. If the children can, they get it.

2 hours ago, Dr. C said:

Im asking because Charisma/Miracle is such a nice combo for Nanna and her brother. (The spelling variations of him and their mother make me not want to touch that)

I was very satisfied with Beowulf last time but When Nanna is in harms way in Chapter 7 and 8 it gets a bit scary.

Nanna should already have the Prayer sword from her mother, so you could equip that for the Miracle skill. unless you want Delmud with Miracle too, then that's another story.

Beowulf would be better due to inheritance in general(stats, skills, items), especially because a Delmud with a Defender sword + Shield ring(for a total of +12 DEF) is as good as Oifaye starting from early 2nd generation when it comes to tanking melee enemies.

7 hours ago, Dr. C said:

So I know that Finn loses his Brave Lance if he fathers a child but...  what about inheritance? 

Dies he pass down the Silver Blade if he kills Chagal?

- Finn cannot pass down lances because no sons are capable of wielding lances.  However, he can pass down any weapons he acquires from bosses so long as they're weapons the son can use as well as any items you give him.  Otherwise, I'd recommend having him give his B-rank and lower lances to Fury and hand whatever A-rank lances you may have gotten (basically just the two silver lances you can acquire from Elliot and the vendor in Chapter 3) to Quan so that Altenna can bring them along in Chapter 8 instead of you needing to buy them in Chapter 9.

- Again, only if his son can use it.  Which is pretty much just gonna be Delmud (Lachesis) or Ulster (Ayra), as those are the only sons that start out with an A-rank in swords.  Doesn't matter if Finn can't use it; Finn's inability to use weapons, as far as trading/inheritance is concerned, simply means he can't come into possession of such weapons through the Pawn shop and must instead resort to stealing such weapons from enemies.

- Like someone else said, the Prayer Sword grants the skill to one of them.  With that said, him passing down Prayer to children means you can have someone else take the Prayer Sword so that you'll have more units with Prayer than usual.

- Just have Nanna healbot, then.  If she's healbotting, she shouldn't need to put herself in harm's way thanks to having canto.  I guarantee you she isn't gonna be any better off with Finn as the father.  In fact, I'd say she might be in even more trouble in Chapter 7 with Finn stripped of his weapons because Finn is pretty much your strongest deterrent against the invading forces from Alster.  Not to say it isn't possible to defend Leonster from Blume's forces, but if you have difficulties as-is with keeping that party alive then Finn being a father just makes that more difficult.

What's good about Finn as a father is that he also passes down Pursuit to his children.  Beowulf gives Pursuit as well, but if you're looking for something different then Finn won't deviate too much aside from his lack of swords for Delmud.  But honestly, that's a very minor setback considering Chapter 6 is probably the most piss-easy chapter in the game aside from the Prologue and the Isaac sword twins could probably share their armaments with him.

If you're truly worried about Nanna, I'll say give Lachesis a Shield Ring or the Defender Sword.  Or maybe even both if Lachesis can afford them.  With such equipment plus the Earth Sword, she should be capable of surviving quite well.  There's no one I can think of who really needs the defense-boosts more than one of the three members of the Leonster defense party in Chapter 7.

13 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

If you're truly worried about Nanna, I'll say give Lachesis a Shield Ring or the Defender Sword.  Or maybe even both if Lachesis can afford them.  With such equipment plus the Earth Sword, she should be capable of surviving quite well.  There's no one I can think of who really needs the defense-boosts more than one of the three members of the Leonster defense party in Chapter 7.

I can think of a certain Pegasus Knight that might enjoy a durability boost. 

That being said, I overlooked the Prayer Sword. 

7 hours ago, Dr. C said:

Nanna needs the boost more.

If you want Fee to get a Shield Ring, just have her get the one in Chapter 7 from the far western village.  She really doesn't need it for Chapter 6 because, again, the enemies suck, and in Chapter 7 she'll mostly be dealing with mages before she can get the ring so it's overall kind of pointless for her to have one by this point anyway.

17 hours ago, Dr. C said:

That being said, I overlooked the Prayer Sword. 

Fire-Emblem-Seisen-no-Keifu-Japan-En-by-

as you can see, even at capped level DEF is still pretty average, so i would rather give her a Speed ring+Slim sword/spear for higher evasion chances, since it's a unit mainly based on SPD. otherwise, you could just kite enemies with javelyns, or even better, magic swords, if you're really worried about her survival against melee enemies.

once you get your hands on a Barrier ring, and eventually a barrier sword too, dealing with enemy mages becomes a walk in the park.

in the end the choice is yours, but there's other units like Delmud or Oifaye that could profit more from the Shield ring/Defender sword. even Johalva would be a better candidate for the Shield ring.

as for chapter 7, all you need to do is have Leaf go west to deal with the bandits attacking towns, while Nanna can support Fin when dealing with the army coming from the south.

there's also enough towns that can be used by Fin to increase his evasion rate, and with Nanna's Charisma he'll dodge even more. just kite the enemy army while they're on the move, and once they get in range of a town, turtle over there for a while until all enemies are dead.

just don't get too close to the castle with Leaf's group, play it safe. otherwise you're going to get a surprise, and it won't be a pleasant one for sure.

9 hours ago, Fenreir said:

Fire-Emblem-Seisen-no-Keifu-Japan-En-by-

as you can see, even at capped level DEF is still pretty average, so i would rather give her a Speed ring+Slim sword/spear for higher evasion chances, since it's a unit mainly based on SPD. otherwise, you could just kite enemies with javelyns, or even better, magic swords, if you're really worried about her survival against melee enemies.

once you get your hands on a Barrier ring, and eventually a barrier sword too, dealing with enemy mages becomes a walk in the park.

in the end the choice is yours, but there's other units like Delmud or Oifaye that could profit more from the Shield ring/Defender sword. even Johalva would be a better candidate for the Shield ring.

as for chapter 7, all you need to do is have Leaf go west to deal with the bandits attacking towns, while Nanna can support Fin when dealing with the army coming from the south.

there's also enough towns that can be used by Fin to increase his evasion rate, and with Nanna's Charisma he'll dodge even more. just kite the enemy army while they're on the move, and once they get in range of a town, turtle over there for a while until all enemies are dead.

just don't get too close to the castle with Leaf's group, play it safe. otherwise you're going to get a surprise, and it won't be a pleasant one for sure.

Funnily enough I thought about retreating Finn to the Castke to re but the brave lance so that Fee can get some fun use of it in a chapter 6 so I have to ask... what is the nasty surprise?

13 hours ago, Dr. C said:

Funnily enough I thought about retreating Finn to the Castke to re but the brave lance so that Fee can get some fun use of it in a chapter 6 so I have to ask... what is the nasty surprise?

you could have Fin go back and defend the castle, but i'm not sure if he can survive the entire enemy army alone, especially with mages around too. it's probably better to kite enemies on the way to the castle, and then finish them off near the towns.

as for the surprise, it has to do with enemy reinforcements. when you've defeated all bandits and the main enemy army coming from the south, you should stay near the towns until Seliph will gain access to the final area of the map.

i won't spoil it for you though, you'll understand why it's better to stay away from the last castle once you move to the final area with your own army.

Edited by Fenreir

9 hours ago, Fenreir said:

you could have Fin go back and defend the castle, but i'm not sure if he can survive the entire enemy army alone, especially with mages around too. it's probably better to kite enemies on the way to the castle, and then finish them off near the towns.

as for the surprise, it has to do with enemy reinforcements. when you've defeated all bandits and the main enemy army coming from the south, you should stay near the towns until Seliph will gain access to the final area of the map.

i won't spoil it for you though, you'll understand why it's better to stay away from the last castle once you move to the final area with your own army.

I’ve played through Chapter 7 already. I thought you meant something bad happens if you retreat to the castle.

On an unrelated note, Sylvia... Pair with Lex? In ranked runs a good idea?  A Dancer in 2nd gen that gets 20 exp per dance sounds pretty handy. Though technically one of the substitutes does get paragon so...

15 hours ago, Dr. C said:

On an unrelated note, Sylvia... Pair with Lex? In ranked runs a good idea?  A Dancer in 2nd gen that gets 20 exp per dance sounds pretty handy. Though technically one of the substitutes does get paragon so...

it depends.

if you really like the character and eventually want to play Leen as a thief(sort of), you could just give an Elite ring to Sylvia. Lex is kinda wasted on Sylvia for multiple reasons:

- there's other fighters that can profit from skills such as Ambush/Elite far more compared to Leen, since dancers are meant to mainly support allies, rather than fighting in the front lines;

- minor Neir Holy Blood is wasted on support units, since the stats growths it gives are more suited for either fighters/tanks;

- by pairing Lex with Sylvia, you can potentially lose one of two chances to get an Hero sword for Ayra.

as for Leen/Corple's substitutes, Sharlow(healer) gets Elite(Paragon), while Laylea(dancer) gets Charisma, wich is probably better if you want to play dancers mainly as support units( like they should be, since it's the only class in game that can refresh 4 units at once ).

Laylea also gives you access to the secret barrier sword(+7 RES), while Sharlow gives you access to the secret Berserk Staff( 1 use only, useful mostly in the last chapter against the units guarding Julius ).

19 hours ago, Fenreir said:

- by pairing Lex with Sylvia, you can potentially lose one of two chances to get an Hero sword for Ayra.

You can get around this by keeping Lex and Ayra apart from area outside of that and gluing him to Silvia from chapter 3 on. Lex/Ayra has slow growth without adjacency.

Also one thing that nobody has mentioned regarding Finn is that pairing him forfeits his inventory whether or not characters can inherit it. Having a Javelin and Steel/Silver Lance on him for chapter 7 is nice to help soften the squads coming after Leif, and he's limited to whatever he takes from Gen 1 because Leonster only grants access to weapon repairing.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:22 AM, X-Naut said:

You can get around this by keeping Lex and Ayra apart from area outside of that and gluing him to Silvia from chapter 3 on. Lex/Ayra has slow growth without adjacency.

Also one thing that nobody has mentioned regarding Finn is that pairing him forfeits his inventory whether or not characters can inherit it. Having a Javelin and Steel/Silver Lance on him for chapter 7 is nice to help soften the squads coming after Leif, and he's limited to whatever he takes from Gen 1 because Leonster only grants access to weapon repairing.

So... he won’t pass the Silver Blade down?

also it occurs to me that substitute characters might be better for Sylvia but you can’t deliberate kill her to get them in a ranked run.

He will pass the Silver Blade down, but he loses all his gold and lances in the process. All he'll have going into Gen 2 is an Iron Lance.

21 hours ago, Dr. C said:

also it occurs to me that substitute characters might be better for Sylvia but you can’t deliberate kill her to get them in a ranked run.

you could:

- leave her alone for the whole 1st generation(the easy way would be to stay behind with the non-mounted units and to not stay close/talk with anybody at all);

- in case she does pair up with someone by mistake, you can let the mages from the desert in chapter 5 nuke her down.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, Fenreir said:

you could:

- leave her alone for the whole 1st generation(the easy way would be to stay behind with the non-mounted units and to not stay close/talk with anybody at all);

- in case she does pair up with someone by mistake, you can let the mages from the desert in chapter 5 nuke her down.

Can’t do that in a ranked run though.

It could be possible if she stayed behind in the castle 

Refreshing staff bots to heal Arden while he loses arena battles is a thing.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:37 PM, Dr. C said:

Can’t do that in a ranked run though.

Eh, can't you revive her with the Valkyrie staff to revert your survival rank? Or does that still keep her lover status?

13 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Eh, can't you revive her with the Valkyrie staff to revert your survival rank? Or does that still keep her lover status?

As far as I know, the only way to ensure substitute characters after a lover has been acquired is to kill off the mother.

If you revive the mother in gen 1, the child is born as well.