How Would You Rank Nintendo Homeconsoles

Ilboss

2 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

It can't hold a candle to something like Breath of the Wild.

You clearly overrate Breath of the Wild. It's a 7 out of 10 game at most.

Anyway, N64 > SNES> Wii U > GameCube > Switch > Wii

Wii >  Switch > SNES > NES > WiiU > GCN > N64

I rank the Wii highest, cause it was the most complete overall package of any Nintendo home console (tho Switch may catch up to that).
Backwards compatibility with GCN and Virtual Console are a big plus in my book and I'm very fond of the library. Mario Galaxy, Sin & Punishment 2, Xenoblade Chronicles - some of my all time favourites. 

Everything that comes behind NES I'd categorize as a failed experiment. N64 is last, cause most of it's games don't hold up well today. 

On 6/21/2019 at 6:18 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

That's probably why I'm not yet as crazy on the Switch as the rest of the internet. As a Wii-U owner a lot of things that get released on the platform are things I already owned. There's new stuff like Odyssey and Xenoblade but a lot of the time I suspect Nintendo of having Wii-U ports carry their release schedule for some months. 

I'm somewhat with you, I've yet to play a Switch-unique game that has blown me away. Smash Ultimate is certainly good but also very much more of the same, and Odyssey just didn't click with me at all, despite being a big Mario fan... or maybe because I'm a big Mario fan? It's good at what it does but what it does isn't what I play Mario for (i.e. platforming).

That said I love how it can be both a portable and a home console, that's huge.

Another thing I didn't factor in before but now wonder if I should is backwards compatibility. Like, I didn't rank the Wii super-high just because I don't think it has a very deep library... at least, of new games. But if people want to give the Switch credit for Wii U ports, then I have to point out that buying the Wii is one of the ultimate no-brainer purchases I've made, because not only does it play Wii games, but also GameCube games, AND a huge selection of NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/etc. games as well. The sum total of the games it can play is basically unparalleled, except by the comprable Wii U (which traded the GameCube library for its own library, plus a bunch of Virtual Console differences). This is one place where the Switch is actually a bit disappointing; where's that Virtual Console, Nintendo?

On 6/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Another thing I didn't factor in before but now wonder if I should is backwards compatibility. Like, I didn't rank the Wii super-high just because I don't think it has a very deep library... at least, of new games. But if people want to give the Switch credit for Wii U ports, then I have to point out that buying the Wii is one of the ultimate no-brainer purchases I've made, because not only does it play Wii games, but also GameCube games, AND a huge selection of NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/etc. games as well. The sum total of the games it can play is basically unparalleled, except by the comprable Wii U (which traded the GameCube library for its own library, plus a bunch of Virtual Console differences). This is one place where the Switch is actually a bit disappointing; where's that Virtual Console, Nintendo?

Backwards compatibility is something I'll always give Nintendo HUGE credit for. That's where they were better than the Playstation. I can play my GameCube games on my Wii, I can play my GBA games on my DS, I can play my DS games on my 3DS, I can't play my PS3 games on my PS4.

This backwards compatibility made it easier for me to decide to actually go through with getting a Wii, a DS, and a 3DS, because even if there would have been not a lot of games I liked on that system, I could still play my older games on that new system, meaning I didn't have to buy a new console just for one game. This being the case, I'm still divided if I should get a Switch, since I can't play either my 3DS nor my Wii games on there (I didn't get a WiiU, because most of the games that were coming out on that system that I was interested in came out on 3DS as well, i.e. Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors) and there's not a lot of games on that system that I am really interested in, with Three Houses being the only one that's exclusive to the Switch.

Edited by DragonFlames

1. SNES- A lot of my top 10 favorite games (Super Mario World, LoZ: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Megaman X, Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound) came from this system and while I didn't own one as a kid I love playing on my SNES mini classic system I bought a several months ago.
  2. Switch- Has a lot of new and old games to play on it. Being able to play it anywhere is also a plus.
  3. Wii- Had some good casual games on it and is the only console that had games I could play with my parents. Being able to play Gamecube games was another good thing about it.
  4. N64- It's in the middle for one reason...Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, the only two games I owned for the system but man did I play those games for hours as a kid and to this day was basically the peak of Pokémon for me due to actually being challenging despite it basically being a $60 early form of DLC packed into a game before DLC existed for games.
  5. Gamecube- It's not bad per se but because if I wanted to play Gamecube games I can just use my Wii for that. But I did liked how it could play GBA games on it with a certain disc and attachment to it.
  6. NES- Really only like Super Mario Bros 2 and 3 from the NES. All the other games for this console were either two hard and frustrating for me or had stiff controls (and sometimes even both).
  7. Wii U- Basically worthless since the majority of their good games were ported to Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Home? Super Nintendo ranks way higher than Switch.
Handheld? 3DS ranks way higher than Switch.

I still like the Switch, I simply do not 'understand' it. It is way less powerful than a PS4 and definitely less comfortable than a Vita. So, I can play the latest games on my tele, but they will perform worse than in other consoles. And I can play games anywhere, but the console is cumbersome. I do not get it.

Edited by starburst

On 7/7/2019 at 8:24 PM, starburst said:

Home? Super Nintendo ranks way higher than Switch.
Handheld? 3DS ranks way higher than Switch.

I still like the Switch, I simply do not 'understand' it. It is way less powerful than a PS4 and definitely less comfortable than a Vita. So, I can play the latest games on my tele, but they will perform worse than in other consoles. And I can play games anywhere, but the console is cumbersome. I do not get it.

The hate I'm reading seems to be reserved for a Virtual Boy (remember those?).

1. Switch
  2. SNES
  3. Wii/Wii U
  4. GC
  5. N64

5 hours ago, Karimlan said:

The hate I'm reading seems to be reserved for a Virtual Boy (remember those?).

Yes, the Nintendo View-Master! He, he.

Instead of hate, I would call it strangeness, unfamiliarity.
After the SNES I skipped every other console until I got a 3DS in mid 2017. I do not remember ever holding a PlayStation or Wii controller in my hands. In fact, I cannot differentiate among PlayStation consoles (I most likely would if I had them all in front of me, since, I guess, they surely have the name printed somewhere; but I cannot draw them or anything.)

And now that I have a Switch and started to get more information about games and consoles, I do not get it. The gameplay videos of PS4 exclusives look amazing, but all shared titles perform worse on the Switch. And, as a handheld, the Switch is cumbersome when compared to the 3DS or Vita.
I am happy playing the latest Mario Kart, though.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:11 PM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

and the controller may be pretty wonky

I just watched a 10 minute clip cooly explaining it and a whole bunch of other controller designs. It had to do with options, not mutating three hands. Center and left grips could be used for certain games with a certain style, those where fewer face buttons were needed, but aiming/moving could be done simultaneously via control stick and control pad. Center and right grips would be used for games that needed all the face buttons. The problem is few games used the left-center combo, Sin and Punishment is the only one that notably did I think.

It also said the original Playstation controller was going to be flat and look just like the SNES's controller. But then the grips were added by a designer, who the Sony board overruled, who got overruled by the Sony president because the grips made a statement about the system.

The original Xbox controller, in its massive size, was because the controller's motherboard was really big and had to be worked around.

The choice, which started for Nintendo with the GameCube, to make the two control sticks not aligned on a horizontal axis, may have been done because, it is more natural given the positioning of the thumbs on a controller.

Lastly, no gaming controller is actually that ergonomic. The ideal ergonomic controller is not at all the standard controllers, but ergonomics isn't everything.

But I'll shaddup now.🤭