BOO!

Siskan

Perhaps I should have outgrown the thread title by now, but it's a long tradition of mine. I would like to say hello to everyone I didn't manage to scare off though!

I'm not technically new, but I've barely been present in the past, neither have I introduced myself before.

I haven't been this eager to play a new game for ages, so I thought I'd get into the discussion. That's why I'm here now.

My love for this series started out when I bought FE7 off a store shelf without really having any clue what kind of game it was, something that'd never happen today. I was completely sold after only one chapter. I've played it through well over twenty times by now. The rest about two or three times.

I ran a local FE forum for a number of years. Not than many members but insanely active ones. We had real life meetups and even turned FE into a live dice game where we made grids in parks and acting as individual units on two teams. Yes we were crazy.

I never liked the turn the series took with Awakening (although it's still a great game) and when the next few games lacked an option for Japanese voice acting I decided to wait until I've polished up my Japanese (I have some university studies behind me, but I still don't feel confident playing too story heavy games in Japanese).

I have replayed some of the classic titles in that time however and got hold of the Thracia 776 Deluxe Pack during a trip to Japan a couple of years ago. But actually I've spent very little time playing games overall (especially newer ones) during the past few years.

Edit: I should perhaps add the fact that FE also got me into pixel art, something I really enjoy. Although I moved onto original creations quite early and haven't done anything FE related for nearly a decade.

Edited by Siskan

Welcome!

24 minutes ago, Siskan said:

I ran a local FE forum for a number of years. Not than many members but insanely active ones. We had real life meetups and even turned FE into a live dice game where we made grids in parks and acting as individual units on two teams. Yes we were crazy.

Wow, Fire Emblem LARPing must have been pretty fun.  Wish I could've seen it.

25 minutes ago, Siskan said:

I have replayed some of the classic titles in that time however and got hold of the Thracia 776 Deluxe Pack during a trip to Japan a couple of years ago.

Lucky, lucky.  I still can't believe that was a thing.

37 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Wow, Fire Emblem LARPing must have been pretty fun.  Wish I could've seen it.

Hah yes, we even played it in the rain! It was fun to see people mimicking attack animations from the game too.

42 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Lucky, lucky.  I still can't believe that was a thing.

It has a quite interesting set of contents. Who doesn't want a white VHS tape?

Aaa, so scary! Just kidding!

That aside, its really cool to meet you, and welcome (sorta)!

1 hour ago, Siskan said:

My love for this series started out when I bought FE7 off a store shelf without really having any clue what kind of game it was, something that'd never happen today. I was completely sold after only one chapter. I've played it through well over twenty times by now.

Man, I wish I got into the series young enough to be able to say this sorta stuff. Beating a game twenty times over is nothing to scoff at!

1 hour ago, Siskan said:

This sorta stuff has always been a dream of mine, so it's super cool to hear that somebody has actually pulled off turning FE into a live fiasco ala Dungeons and Dragons. I personally run a DND session with a few of my friends with a heavy basis on Fire Emblem lore as well, but the outdoor/grids aspect of this is a whole different level!

1 hour ago, Siskan said:

I never liked the turn the series took with Awakening (although it's still a great game) and when the next few games lacked an option for Japanese voice acting I decided to wait until I've polished up my Japanese (I have some university studies behind me, but I still don't feel confident playing too story heavy games in Japanese).

Glad to see somebody who couldn't get into Awakening and its successors not just immediately dump on it for once. I've always wanted to learn Japanese too in order to really get into other Japanese games, but I figure its gotta be hard. At least Three Houses will still include Japanese dialogue too!

Anyways, it was nice to meet you!

10 minutes ago, TowerOfTartarus said:

That aside, its really cool to meet you, and welcome (sorta)!

Thanks! You seem to be new here for real, so I welcome you as well!

12 minutes ago, TowerOfTartarus said:

Man, I wish I got into the series young enough to be able to say this sorta stuff. Beating a game twenty times over is nothing to scoff at!

Hah, well it's somewhat crazy. But yeah, many of those playthroughs happened quite early on. 

19 minutes ago, TowerOfTartarus said:

I personally run a DND session with a few of my friends with a heavy basis on Fire Emblem lore as well

Oh that nice, that's one of my interests as well. Though I haven't played traditional roleplaying games related to FE, despite actually playing with those same people on one occasion. So I have reason to envy you as well. As for life size grids, it seems you already have a group ready for you to convince! : D

26 minutes ago, TowerOfTartarus said:

Glad to see somebody who couldn't get into Awakening and its successors not just immediately dump on it for once.

Yes well, although I obviously have my issues with the changes I can still appreciate it for what it is. And in some regards it did things better than earlier games as well. But most of all I don't like when people try argue that people aren't entitled to like whatever they like.

Nice to meet you too!

Ah! You scared me off!

Welcome back to the Forest, Siskan!

20 hours ago, Siskan said:

Sounds wonderful.

Anyway, have a nice day and enjoy your stay!