Need to complete three semesters of a foreign language; should I finish Filipino or move on to Spanish?

Fryer

I am currently a third year student at university. I am trying to get an Econ degree and as part of the graduation requirement for this course, I need to complete three semesters of a foreign language.

I grew up with Filipino parents who spoke Tagalog so I am familiar with a few words, beyond this I am below basic here since I spoke English my entire life. I have taken two semesters of Filipino (basically introductory classes) and I haven't learned much. The only reason I passed both courses was because the professor (who is the sole Filipino teacher) offered a huge curve every quiz. The textbook was written by him and it isn't the best; whenever I come to him for some help he doesn't always understand the context of what I am asking. My parents don't exactly have the teaching capabilities for this whenever I come to them for help so  this limits my options. 

I did take two years of Spanish in high school but I didn't learn anything valuable. My teacher was incompetent and just assigned her students bookwork to keep us busy while she does online shopping on her computer. She didn't care if our work was accurate- as long as you filled in the blanks you'd get credit. She had tenure in her position so any complaints to her didn't get by. Even though I didn't have a proper Spanish education, I did find it easy to understand the basic grammatical structure compared to Filipino.

I need your advice: should I deal with one more semester of Filipino or should I start over and do Spanish? I graduated HS with some credits from AP tests so I am bound to graduate a semester early compared to my peers (assuming I don't fail any classes). If I stick to Filipino, I am going to have a hell of a time since it is required to make a presentation in Filipino. Unlike me, the other students have a grasp of what is written in their textbooks whenever we read- though those students took Filipino in High school. Even the most experienced Filipino speakers found the second semester of my college Filipino difficult.

FWIW, I live in California so Spanish might be helpful overall. I would like input from both Spanish and Filipino speakers. Any alternate sources to either language would be welcome.

I have two questions

1. Why ask a bunch of random people on the internet about this kinda important question?

and 

2. Do you know anyone who has taken Spanish that could tell what you need to know for the class?

25 minutes ago, Cure Naga said:

I have two questions

1. Why ask a bunch of random people on the internet about this kinda important question?

and 

2. Do you know anyone who has taken Spanish that could tell what you need to know for the class?

1. I just wanted a second opinion on what I should do. I am not giving any classified information so I didn't see the problem.

2. Nope

Spanish is one of the easier languages to learn so taking it might be a way to go, but you would want to make sure you start at the basic level.  I used to only speak Spanish until I was 3 then I was taken out of the place I was babysat at and never had a reason to speak it for years and I have forgotten most of it, sadly.  Anyway I say that it might be a good option for you.

if you need three years of the same language, continue filipino just to get through faster, but if you are able, I'd recommend taking an introductory spanish course to make things easier, if you are like me you will probably just forget everything once the semester ends so may as well take the path of least resistance to make life easier.

4 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

if you need three years of the same language, continue filipino just to get through faster, but if you are able, I'd recommend taking an introductory spanish course to make things easier, if you are like me you will probably just forget everything once the semester ends so may as well take the path of least resistance to make life easier.

Not three years, only three semesters (basically half a year). I will still graduate on time regardless of what language I choose, assuming I do pass everything.

Just now, Fryer said:

Not three years, only three semesters (basically half a year). I will still graduate on time regardless of what language I choose, assuming I do pass everything.

oh, misworded that, sorry.

I recommend spanish then, continuing filipino seems like you would be shooting yourself in the foot given that you have no recollection of it.

12 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

oh, misworded that, sorry.

I recommend spanish then, continuing filipino seems like you would be shooting yourself in the foot given that you have no recollection of it.

No problem.

I do have a bad time recollecting things after the semester ends, though Spanish classes at my school meet up four times a week as opposed to once or twice. This will definitely help the info stay intact in my head. Spanish is more commonly spoken so I guess I will stick to this.