Thoughts on the Potential of DLC Classes

I brought it up in another thread recently, but who else is expecting some DLC classes out of Three Houses, and if so, what classes do you think will appear? Of course it wouldn't just be restricted to previous DLC classes I'd imagine, so go wild I guess!

Personally, I'm expecting to see things like the Witch and Ballastician make a return due to the simple fun nature of both classes. Dread Fighter and Bride also have very high potential to return too I'd imagine. I'm also interested to see if they'd pull off the Echoes styled DLC classes again (a new tier of the base-game classes sold individually).

I think it would be interesting to add early firearm units, consider the game was set in early Renaissance background rather than medieval.

Handgunner: unit that carries early firearm, has very high damage, but poor accuracy compare to archers, cannot double (due to long reload times), poor close combat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon

Gunner company: company of soldiers carrying hand cannon, gambit is an area attack that also damage units adjacent to target.

Dragoon: handgunner riding on a horse, would have even lower accuracy since they carry shorter firearms as compensate for high mobility and move again skill.

Obviously some map could feather cannons in place of Ballista of older games

Edited by Timlugia

25 minutes ago, Timlugia said:
Spoiler

I think it would be interesting to add early firearm units, consider the game was set in early Renaissance background rather than medieval.

Handgunner: unit that carries early firearm, has very high damage, but poor accuracy compare to archers, cannot double (due to long reload times), poor close combat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon

Gunner company: company of soldiers carrying hand cannon, gambit is an area attack that also damage units adjacent to target.

Dragoon: handgunner riding on a horse, would have even lower accuracy since they carry shorter firearms as compensate for high mobility and move again skill.

Obviously some map could feather cannons in place of Ballista of older games

With the whole concept of time travel seemingly being involved in Three Houses plot I actually can see this being a possibility for a class. While I'm typically against bringing firearms into fantasy settings, it would be very interesting if they made it a one unit situation.

ballistition should be nerfed hard if it returns (which I hope it does personally), make the turret have limited uses per map, only target one enemy, and be able to kill and we are good on changes, because the AOE crap in fates was broken.

18 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

an  forged version of that long-ranged dark magic tome in Awakening

Was mire forgeable? I recall it being one of the few "normal" weapons that was unforgeable.

I hope we get siege magic again, I hate how it is constantly never given to us in any satisfying way, only 5 uses not purchasable, really expensive when it is, just kills a lot of the fun to be had with them IMO, but if you balance it for maybe 2-3 uses per map that could be able to prevent long ranged spam while allowing the player to actually use it rather than just sitting on it the entire game.

I can maybe see them doing dlc classes, and while it good be higher tier for base game classes or returning classes (please bring back my Sentinel class), I do think in general it'd probably be something that doesn't fit with the base game, kinda like echoes dlc classes. I'm sorry but where are elephants on Valentia? Why are they roman soldiers? The whitewings would never dress so immodest! Etc.

I’d like to see the Space Marine class. Maybe with time travel mechanics the imperium of man can come in and save Fodlan from those who slither in the night, or TWSITN for short. 

Chain sword and bolter would be fun to see, shooting bullets larger than Lysithea’s whole body. 

Maybe the empire can make these these technological advancements in 5 years under Edelgard’s rule and she becomes the god empress of mankind. 

Plus Raphael’s statement of muscles over crests, and his very large body is clearly the predecessor to that of the marines. 

Edited by Tolvir

Dread Fighter

• Proficient: Sword, Axe, Brawl
  • Prerequisite: Sword - B+
  • Abilities: Aggresor, Iron Will

Dark Flyer

• Proficient: Lance, Reason, Flying
  • Prerequisite: Reason - B, Flying - C
  • Abilities: Galeforce

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dread Fighter may be the 4th Tier promotion of Swordmaster; just as a call back to Echoes where it was initially in the class tree. They can also just give the Pegasus Knight promotion in 4th Tier access to Faith and Reason and let the player do as they want. Galeforce could come back as a Combat Art or a passive skill(perhaps unlocked at S Rank Flying?).

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

For me I'd love Ballistician and Witch to come back. I loved having them in Fates (and I liked how their maps were throw backs to SD and Gaiden). I'd imagine Ballistican would be a bow armour class (though with how weapons work in this game it might be a bit hard to work around). Witch would be proficient in reason and faith but its main draw would be warping as per usual. 

1 hour ago, Owain Dark said:

I could only see the Witch class dlc come back and if it does, I hope it's for free, just like in Fates lol

One copy of the class change item is. If you want more then you have to pay up. Also, from what I recall, you have to pick between witch and ballistician as your free option.

I doubt that they'll have overclasses like they did in Echoes or at least at launch, because this game has gone through a somewhat difficult development cycle as the release date has been pushed back twice. Not to mention refurbishing the Warriors engine. A game that's originally in a completely different genre. Also, it's predictably the biggest FE game to date so a lot of work has been put into it.

They might do something down the line, but for now it seems to me like they want to get this game out as soon as possible and are too busy to deal with something else. Maybe exp and item maps for a quick buck at launch is possible. But it remains to be seen. Only time will tell.

2 hours ago, redlight said:

One copy of the class change item is. If you want more then you have to pay up. Also, from what I recall, you have to pick between witch and ballistician as your free option.

I doubt that they'll have overclasses like they did in Echoes or at least at launch, because this game has gone through a somewhat difficult development cycle as the release date has been pushed back twice. Not to mention refurbishing the Warriors engine. A game that's originally in a completely different genre. Also, it's predictably the biggest FE game to date so a lot of work has been put into it.

They might do something down the line, but for now it seems to me like they want to get this game out as soon as possible and are too busy to deal with something else. Maybe exp and item maps for a quick buck at launch is possible. But it remains to be seen. Only time will tell.

Yeah, I can see that. I wouldn't mind tbh, if they release dlc over the course of a year or something, or like in kh3 style, wait a half year and announce dlc. 

The only thing I can see near launch is a patch, like, making the buildings bigger on maps, or just to patch minor stuff. 

3 hours ago, redlight said:

Not to mention refurbishing the Warriors engine. A game that's originally in a completely different genre. Also, it's predictably the biggest FE game to date so a lot of work has been put into it.

um, citation? I have not heard about this at all, what's this about reusing the warriors engine?

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

um, citation? I have not heard about this at all, what's this about reusing the warriors engine?

In-game environments, models and cutscenes look very similar to those of Warriors' (albeit less developed in some aspects since the game is much larger than Warriors and Warriors was rather short). Also, this game is being co-developed or rather was (the game is pretty much completed at this point) by Koei Tecmo so there really isn't any fuss using stuff from things they've worked on together. If anything, they have something to work off of rather than start from scratch or stick to 3DS engine.

Edited by redlight

5 hours ago, redlight said:

In-game environments, models and cutscenes look very similar to those of Warriors' (albeit less developed in some aspects since the game is much larger than Warriors and Warriors was rather short). Also, this game is being co-developed or rather was (the game is pretty much completed at this point) by Koei Tecmo so there really isn't any fuss using stuff from things they've worked on together. If anything, they have something to work off of rather than start from scratch or stick to 3DS engine.

Just because koei tecmo helped doesn't mean it is their engine, they know how to make large numbers of characters show up at once, getting them on board only made sense to help get the game out there in a reasonable amount of time, by this logic BoTW must be using the same engine as xenoblade chronicles x because monolith helped with that one, my knowledge on these thing is a bit limited but it seems fairly inefficient to completely gut another engine just to keep the graphical framework, this is why mass effect andromeda had so many problems, they were required to use frostbite(?), this engine did not suit a large rpg, likewise, using a proprietary engine designed for hack and slash in a tactical rpg seems inefficient.

You really shouldn't be saying such things in such certain ways, saying it could be the case is fine, we are all up to a little speculation but implying that the game's delays came from using the warriors engine is frankly conspiratorial. Any similarities in art style should be regarded as Fire Emblem having a particular look.

also bear in mind that we likely will never get answers to this question due to everyone being so tight lipped about their proprietary engines, I searched and haven't found anything.