Multiplayer Fire Emblem games: would they work?

Levitation

Me and my brother toyed with the idea of a Fire Emblem multiplayer game. Would this actually work? Would you choose a map to play in, choose roles (survive/defend for x turns, rout enemy, defeat boss, seize,Β etc), and choose characters like team captains in a sports game? Would both players have a budget and some random skills and special items in the shop? Would it be regular 2 player or online? Is this idea completely bad and not worth investigating at all?

6 hours ago, Levitation said:

Me and my brother toyed with the idea of a Fire Emblem multiplayer game. Would this actually work? Would you choose a map to play in, choose roles (survive/defend for x turns, rout enemy, defeat boss, seize,Β etc), and choose characters like team captains in a sports game? Would both players have a budget and some random skills and special items in the shop? Would it be regular 2 player or online? Is this idea completely bad and not worth investigating at all?

if it works like Advance Wars with map presets and no grinding or leveling involved, then it would be fine. just pure tactical combat.

11 hours ago, Armchair General said:

It's bad if you run into someone who's been grinding too much.

It's kinda obvious that those game would require capped characters and after sometime a "meta" combination of skill, so there can't be grinding too mich, just not grinding enought.

How about co-op? Like,Β  local drop-in/drop-out in the vein of Mario + RabbitΒ but not limited to puzzle stages.Β I know it wouldn't change much from a gameplay perspective and you can just pass a controller if you wish to play that way but would still be a nice touch to just split the controllers of a Switch.Β 

Online would work even better than local with fog of war and if there would be a complete campaign engeneered around commanding multiple armies on one battlefield.Β