(speculation) how I think amiibo will work (spoilers maybe?)

unless you have been living under a rock for the past month (or it got lost in all the other news), you are likely aware that amiibo has been confirmed for three houses in the form of the Amiibo Gazebo, the compatibility is unsurprising, but the functionality is still an unknown, but I will make a bold prediction, amiibo will be playable, given that there are 10 fire emblem amiibo as of this writing that could be a little crazy to just add all of them as they were added in fates, primarily for balancing reasons as ten extra characters is kind of ridiculous, this is where scouting them as potential students comes in, this would mean that you would need to have certain skills to recruit them, thus reducing the total number of them that could be recruited and likewise your options for other student scouting. The process would be that you would walk up to the gazebo, interact with the orb in the center prompting you to tap an amiibo, after tapping the amiibo that character will appear in the courtyard (likely where the lights are showing up, though there are only six, but there could be some out of view) where they can be interacted with, this is where the recruitment process would begin, it will likely be roughly the same as with other characters from there.

now I will say why I think there is a strong case that recruitment will be a thing here, one argument is weapons only, all of these characters have weapons that could be easily given to the player, but my argument is if it is an interdimensional mailbox why bother with all this fanfare, a large space sectioned off from the rest of the monastery, all the effort to model the gazebo, the orb, even just designing the thing, this is well beyond what most games do with amiibo, even fates had it shoved off to the side in a communication menu, BoTW used a rune to spawn in chests, warriors was just lost in the extras menu, in all of these cases there was no designated area, why, if it isn't anything big or significant to give the player, have all this extra stuff, the biggest similarity to other game's use of amiibo is that you always have access in the menu, but it is rarely integrated into the game world like this (if at all). Now compare it to fates, when you used the amiibo if fates the character that that amiibo represents will show up at the castle entrance, but imagine doing this in the monastery you could be wandering quite a bit to find the guy you just summoned, or you could find him in the designated area where he always is.

So, that's about it, what do you think, or do you have your own speculation as to how this will work? I personally would love to have Ike be all "aww s**t... here we go again" after being pulled from his early retirement for the third time (or fourth if you count smash bros).

Maybe it could be character recruitment, I'd kinda like that, but materials would be likely, since Splatoon even with it's little amiibo area in the hub only gave gear.

Perhaps if they are recruitable they can only be used in free battles and not main story battles, though IDK.

I feel the need to add, fire emblem has built a reputation for amiibo functionality, playable marth, lucina, ike and robin in fates and summonable marth, ike, lucina, robin, roy, and both corns, not to mention alm and celica being on this list with unique functionality in SoV, for them to just give us random resources would be not only out of character for IS in this regard, but incredibly disappointing given how much effort is being put in at this point, keep in mind that they didn't even give us random resources in fates for non compatible amiibo. 

edit: before anyone mentions it, warriors doesn't necessarily count given that IS' involvement is difficult to get a fix on here.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

I'm personally betting that we'll get a special battalion based on each character that has special perks (e.g. Ike Amiibo will get you 'Greil Mercenaries', Alm will give 'Valentian Dread Fighters', etc.).

Additionally, maybe they could serve as special instructors? They could give out higher experience towards whatever weapons/professor levels they specialize in (but, as a caveat, they're only available to use once per day irl).

Of course, I'd be perfectly happy if they just went the Fates route and gave us the characters to use in combat.  

i have my fingers crossed for playable Amiibo characters from past games.

if it's not characters, then class scrolls such as Lodestar, Vanguard, etc.

if it's not DLC classes, then signature weapons such as Falchion, Ragnell, etc.

if it's none of those, then i have no idea.

Edited by Fenreir

If they're playable characters, like in Fates, I hope they have some kind of support, even a small support pool would be good. 

If not, let us buy things from them, like in Awakening from the spotpass characters. 

If that isn't a thing either, let them teach us something with a small bigger exp boost, than regular teachers. 

8 hours ago, gangly369 said:

I'm personally betting that we'll get a special battalion based on each character that has special perks (e.g. Ike Amiibo will get you 'Greil Mercenaries', Alm will give 'Valentian Dread Fighters', etc.).

Additionally, maybe they could serve as special instructors? They could give out higher experience towards whatever weapons/professor levels they specialize in (but, as a caveat, they're only available to use once per day irl).  

I love both of these ideas.

15 hours ago, gangly369 said:

Of course, I'd be perfectly happy if they just went the Fates route and gave us the characters to use in combat.  

while not unfeasible, special battalions seem awkward to implement, for every alm with his valentian dread fighters, there is a robin with I dunno, plagian dark mages, it is the only thing that could be seen as fitting, but ultimately wouldn't be interesting (due to the idea being arbitrary at best), I can't even think of what you could do for a generic "greil mercenary" the GMs don't have any specific colors and I don't know if they would be any different from geralt's mercenaries, you could argue that they could be mixed groups but then we have the problem of marth ike and chrom's battalions blending way too much, mage, cavalier, cleric, fighter, knight is shared between Ike and chrom, pegasus is shared between marth and chrom, marth and Ike also have archers, I fear they would lack distinctiveness to really feel like you are in command of Ike's group, I can understand the interest, but I just don't have enough imagination to make this be remotely satisfying, though a squad of divine dragons is  pretty cool, it is also incredibly lore breaking (low birth rates = can be cannon fodder?) so IDK.

as for special instructors, that is a hard no, that is pay to win outright, I sincerely believe that there would be hard backlash from that (once per IRL day or no), this would mean that having an amiibo would net you an advantage that no one else has, it also wouldn't offer anything that really changes how you play, which I think goes against what amiibo is meant for or at least what makes it great.

The thing I loved about Fates' amiibo implementation other than getting playable units was also the artwork for the portraits. We got to see Yusuke Kozaki do his take on Marth and Ike and I think it would be interesting to see how Kurahana does her take on the portraits for the amiibo units.

another thing, the fire emblem series isn't the only series where IS' amiibo functionality is great, even codename S.T.E.A.M had Ike, Marth, Lucina, and Robin as playable characters, IS seems to really like to go all out in their in house series when it comes to amiibo.

Maybe it serves a few purposes other than just amiibo? Wonder if it might serve as somekind of Einherjar style shop too that would let us buy older saves version of characters or other people's versions of them?

Or just somekind of shop in general to use for purchasing things maybe. Either way Im hoping its something at least decent. I liked the dungeon aspect of the Alm and Celica amiibo for SoV, but the functions with them other than that was rather disappointing.

1 hour ago, Owain Dark said:

Has been confirmed Amiibo only give items. 

If you're talking about OJ the streamer he actually said later that the person he talked to seemed to indicate there were more functions she couldn't tell him about. So items including weapons are confirmed, but not exclusively.

2 minutes ago, Siskan said:

If you're talking about OJ the streamer he actually said later that the person he talked to seemed to indicate there were more functions she couldn't tell him about. So items including weapons are confirmed, but not exclusively.

He wasn't sure about lunatic mode, guess I have to watch it again, to be sure 

given recent statements on player essence's statements regarding amiibo, I will concede for now, as that is the most information we have in any capacity I will not deny that in all odds the statement is totally correct and amiibo is worse than warriors, but I can also note that it could be a misinterpretation of the process (in fates you could reasonably believe that they only give accessories in a demo environment) and that they could be wrong, I heard that he had to retract some statements due to mixing up details, but as of now it is best to assume that it is what it is.

as for the functionality itself, it is a real letdown and the gazebo itself is without a doubt an absolute tease, at least BoTW had the courtesy to make it easily accessible and warriors didn't put much emphasis on it to let everyone know that, no, you shouldn't expect much, if they don't at least throw a legendary weapon or two our way I will be fairly annoyed as at least BoTW did that.

6 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I heard that he had to retract some statements due to mixing up details, but as of now it is best to assume that it is what it is.

As I stated above, he did expand on it a little later on. He was asked about amiibos several times.