Opinion On Changing Skill To Dexterity

Opinion On Changing Skill To Dexterity  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion On Changing Skill To Dexterity

• Like it
    • Dislike it
    • Don't care

I don't really care tbh. I see why they did it since weapon levels are now called skill levels and on top of that you also have skills (now renamed abilities) so them changing to to reduce confusion and overlap with the word skill makes sense but I'll probably still call it skill since it's what I'm used to.

I don't like it purely because every time I see Dex on the level up screen, my mind skips to Def and I mix the stats up. Like if a character has 18 Dex I would read that as 18 Defense when I'm briefly looking and therefore fuck up my calculations. I'm sure that when I play the game I will memorise the positions of the stats but for now it's annoying and unnecessary. 

On the level up menu, Skill and Speed are right next to each other. You'll also notice they've committed to have a 3 letter abbreviation for every stat on the level up menu. Skl looks stupid and could cause some confusion being right next to Spd and I think Dex looks a lot better and clearer.

At first I thought it was needless change, but now I like it. “Dexterity” is more accurate than “skill” for what the stat does, while also allowing them to use “skill” for... well, skills, without being confusing. 

Between this, Canto, and perhaps Nosferatu (we’ll see — the name is more fitting as a dark spell than a light spell), it seems they’re taking it upon themselves to correct various mistaken or sub-par translations from previous entries, which is fine by me.

Edited by Disclaimer

It doesn't bother me, it makes sense with all the skills/combat arts/ abilities. However, I probably slightly prefer them keep skill as a level up stat and find a different name for the other "skills." 

I think here are the terms Involved with the change:

• Abilities
  • Dexterity
  • Skill levels
  • Professor Level (formerly instructor level)

Imagine treehouse localizing the game.

Edited by Jayvee94

32 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

I think here are the terms Involved with the change:

• Abilities
  • Dexterity
  • Skill levels
  • Professor Level (formerly instructor level)

Imagine treehouse localizing the game.

but..threehouse IS localizing three houses...

8 minutes ago, Owain Dark said:

Yeah, but luckily a different Treehouse team is translating Three Houses, than the Treehouse team who translated Fates. 

probably, ATM there is no change name (with Marx -> Xander...still wonder)

they have probably learn HARD (I still hate how they changed XCX and Tokyo Mirage)..or it's because of the same release date...they can't pick what to choose?

6 minutes ago, link16hit said:

they have probably learn HARD (I still hate how they changed XCX and Tokyo Mirage)..or it's because of the same release date...they can't pick what to choose?

I think they're keeping the names mostly the same now so that they can possibly avoid another "Leo vs. Leon" situation down the line.

I don't care much, I'll get used to it and Dex is a much cleaner stat abbreviation than whatever Skill can come up with.

It seems as though:

• Skill (the stat) -> Dexterity
  • Skills -> Abilities
  • Weapon Proficiencies -> Skills/Skill Levels

In the end, I think it's a good change that will make things clearer going forward. But it's going to take some time to adapt to the new usages.

Edited by LSM

Skill was such a generic team as to be essentially meaningless. Obviously FE vets know what it does but this change makes it a bit more obvious to newcomers, and that's no bad thing. It's like if Strength was instead labelled as Power, a far more ambiguous term.

Now if they renamed Falchion to reflect what type of sword it actually was, I'd be able to understand the traditionalists' complaints. This, however, is no such thing. Now that I think of it though, one thing that was super confusing to me as a newcomer to the series was the term "support", though I'm not sure how best to describe it otherwise.

Edited by Humanoid

Honestly? I don't really care. I'm good with any. (Also, my Translated Rom of FE6 had Dex instead of Skill, so I'm already adapted)

This felt like a good way to differ Skill from...well, Skill. Specially in this entry of the franchise, where we would have...4 ''Skills''(?) if the named wasn't changed.

This is going to be a great thing for newcomers, especially since this is the first Main-Game on a home console after Awakening (which has, in my opinion, the ''Gate for newcomers''), meaning that there's going to be a lot of new players (even with the Bad Marketing for newcomers, again, in my opinion)

It's not a big deal. It's synonymous with what skill has typically been associated with in the past. It takes away a little identity from Fire Emblem, since Dexterity is used in every RPG ever to describe how good somebody is with their hands/weapons, but it's so minor.

Edited by Slumber

I like it simply because I hated having to always differentiate between the stat called "skill" and the special character/class features that were called "skills".

Plus, "skill" is such a generic term.  It just means you're proficient at whatever subject the skill refers to.  Such a term would be better suited to stuff like weapon levels.  Meanwhile, "dexterity" is a much more specific term, referring to one's bodily control, balance, and deftness, traits of which are helpful in ensuring an attack strikes true.

7 hours ago, Flere210 said:

I am playing too much d&d based games and would assume that dex improve the avoid chance lol.

Or, even more confusing, the amount of damage you deal when using physical ranged weapons or certain types of melee weapons (but only if your Dex is higher than your Strength).