Smash Youtuber Etika has been found deceased in the East River.

Roland

News just broke today. Etika was found dead in the East River today. 

Extremly sad turn of events. I knew of this man, but I didn't follow his content. Hard to believe what has happened. May he Rest In Peace, and I wish his loved ones the best in this tradegy.

I was going to move this to Smash, but given the circumstances, I'll keep this over here.

Condolences to his family and friends.

I really liked the guy. Had good content and upstanding personality (his episodes aside). Memes aside, he had a very bright mind. Huge bummer that was the way to go. And so young. He was saying some messed up shit for a while, but seemed to be "normal" again recently with a video stating that no more stunts. Really sad. I was following his disappearance on reddit from the moment his farewell video went up. It hit me like a hammer when I stopped looking at news for a few hours and then to find out the outcome. I really hoped they would find him safe and sound

I heard the black and red joycon was his favorite combination. If I'll ever get the chance I'll start using that from then on. I'll also try to find a Joycon Boyz shirt from a legitimate source that benefits Etika's family. Joycon Boyz forever

Edited by redlight

5 minutes ago, Johann said:

From what I've gathered on this, the system for mental health support completely failed this guy, as it does with many people.

Mental health is still being underestimated everywhere, sadly. Especially nowdays with how toxic social media can be.

If you are not ready for the internet, it can and will destroy you mentally. 

I never knew the man or experienced anything he created, but hearing about anyone's passing -- suicide especially -- hurts. No cry for help should ever be taken for granted.

To everyone:

If you're in a good place, please do everything in your power to contribute towards the small but significant amount of goodness that exists on the internet. Every little day-to-day interaction contributes towards our state of mind, and you never know when something you say will make a difference to someone else. 

If you're in a bad place, please do everything in your power to avoid all of the negativity that dominates the internet -- even if that means going offline entirely. Find the people who make you feel like you matter, who spend time with you, who make you smile. There's no quick fix for anything you're going through, but if you can go to sleep later thinking today was pretty good, tomorrow can be too.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Mental health is still being underestimated everywhere, sadly. Especially nowdays with how toxic social media can be.

If you are not ready for the internet, it can and will destroy you mentally. 

Yeah, it's a failing of the system not only meant to treat mental health, but also to educate others about it. I think it's heavily tied into how, historically, the medical classifications for mental health symptoms and conditions had been oversimplified, misattributed, or blatantly incorrect. There's also no easy solution in regards to whether or not to restrain people at risk of suicide, as suicidal behavior can't be predicted, nor does it usually persist long enough to merit long term restraint.

It's said that you never truly defeat depression, that it's always there beneath the skin ready to rear its head at any time. At the very least, fortunate people have the support in place to at least live their lives normally and feel that their lives are worth continuing. It's sad that this wasn't the case here for Etika.

Kudos to anyone who did try to help him, it's those people who have my sympathy.

I will say what I said in one of my Discord servers.

Depression and suicide takes too many lives too soon.  I've seen it happen myself much too often; people I know or that friends and family were close to, just... taking the short road out.  It is never an easy thing, and I'm sure his family will be shocked and sad for a long time.  Mental health most certainly is not a joke, and we as a society need to take the steps necessary to address such crises in the future - to be more aware of the warning signs and understand what our fellow human beings are going through, and to try to treat one another with more kindness and meditation.

I hope he'll be put to rest with dignity and respect.  And I hope those whom he entertained can stay happy for him - to fill in the void he left upon his departure from this world, or even to use this tragedy to help make the world a better place.

1 hour ago, redlight said:

He was saying some messed up shit for a while, but seemed to be "normal" again recently with a video stating that no more stunts.

That's sadly a fairly common thing to happen to those having suicidal thoughts.  The scary thing is it's difficult to tell what is going on, and in the heat of the moment all you can think about is your relief that they seem happy.  Sometimes, however, their seeming "happy" is a huge red flag, because that could indicate either a severe neurological condition (meaning it's probably bipolar disorder) or that they're actually ready to commit suicide.

Damn, I remember seeing a few of his videos. And while I think he could've toned down the swearing a bit, I thought he was still rather entertaining. As someone who lost a brother to suicide, his family and friends have my condolences.

But this is why I don't ever want to be famous or anything, too many celebs end up like this because in the end they can't handle the pressures of their fame. They get depressed or addicted to drugs and sometimes eventually commit suicide. And once you're famous, you can't go back. It's a point of no return. You can't just magically make people not know you anymore or what made you famous in the first place disappear. And I don't want to find out that I can't handle it either. I already don't like being overwhelmed with attention in the first place, and that surely happens to celebs a lot.

Edited by Anacybele

This is really getting to me, I used to watch him regularly. It's so hard to even think that someone is not there anymore, like you can never speak to them, or listen to them talk ever again. 

I've lost a few loved ones to suicide, and I can't even imagine how bad his family is doing right now.

Suicide is one of those things you never really get over. It haunts you when you had a relationship with that person, like you constantly think how you could have fixed it, what you could have done to help them, the thoughts of all the times you hurt them unintentionally, and just wishing you could have been there to talk them down.

It's always sad when this happens.  One problem with the mental health system is that you have to gauge when it's safe to let someone go.  You generally can't hold people against their will and if a person doesn't want help, how long can you keep them committed?

As someone who used to occasionally watch his content back in the day (kinda started drifting off around mid-late 2017 or so due to the content he was covering not really interesting me but that’s neither here nor there), it’s pretty devastating and heartbreaking to see he’s gone so soon.

During late last year and earlier this year there was a lot of scary stuff going on with him such as his YouTube channels getting deleted after having mental breakdowns, saying bizarre and sometimes nonsensical things on Twitter, getting detained by the the authorities transporting him to a mental ward, and so forth. The red flags were there that something was not right with this guy, and ultimately they proved to be costly. Hopefully people will take situations like this into account when other people start behaving not like themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Suicide is one of those things you never really get over. It haunts you when you had a relationship with that person, like you constantly think how you could have fixed it, what you could have done to help them, the thoughts of all the times you hurt them unintentionally, and just wishing you could have been there to talk them down.

Man, you can't be more right about all this. I've gone through all that, and sometimes still do, with my brother. Even worse, I technically hated him on day one because he wasn't the sister I desperately wanted so I wouldn't be surrounded by so many boys. I grew up with all boys in my family. The only other girl was my mom. I was just close to 8 years old then, but...the fact that I hated him for something out of his control like that and that it might've hurt him later down the road when he was old enough to understand...it just made me feel so guilty.

26 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It's always sad when this happens.  One problem with the mental health system is that you have to gauge when it's safe to let someone go.  You generally can't hold people against their will and if a person doesn't want help, how long can you keep them committed?

Like 72 hours if I remember right, once they're not deemed to be a threat to themselves and others they can leave as they wish. It's a catch-22 because a person at risk can potentially go through with it when nobody's there to stop them or convince them to stop, while holding them when they're in a good place is morally wrong.

Incidentally, last night I rewatched Philosophy Tube's piece on suicide and mental health, which discusses some of the history of mental health and how it applies to suicide, along with how society treats people at risk of suicide, including mental health treatment. Much of what is said can help if you want to understand the issues better.

Content Warning: A very heavy and personal discussion about suicide and struggles with mental health

4 minutes ago, Johann said:

Like 72 hours if I remember right, once they're not deemed to be a threat to themselves and others they can leave as they wish. It's a catch-22 because a person at risk can potentially go through with it when nobody's there to stop them or convince them to stop, while holding them when they're in a good place is morally wrong.

Incidentally, last night I rewatched Philosophy Tube's piece on suicide and mental health, which discusses some of the history of mental health and how it applies to suicide, along with how society treats people at risk of suicide, including mental health treatment. Much of what is said can help if you want to understand the issues better.

Content Warning: A very heavy and personal discussion about suicide and struggles with mental health

I understand the issue as well as a non-expert can, since as part of medical school, you have to take psychiatry rotations, but it's weighing the freedom of the patient against their potential to self harm.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I understand the issue as well as a non-expert can, since as part of medical school, you have to take psychiatry rotations, but it's weighing the freedom of the patient against their potential to self harm.

Yeah, part of what makes it so difficult a question is that it ultimately depends on the perception of the person/people (like medical professionals, or even lawmakers) who are deciding to hold the patient, and their judgment of the patient. There are no shortage of tales of misdiagnoses and bad calls that have lead to people missing the safety net that should be there. But at least our understanding of mental health is evolving, including the sources of mental illness and methods of treatment. I think expanding everybody's awareness about the issues as well as their empathy for those suffering is of utmost importance.

If there's any sort of beacon of hope on this dark day, it's really heart-warming to see support and talks of mental health from all over the world and even in Japan where he was nicknamed as Guile-kun by the Japanese Smash fandom. I also came across a fundraiser called "Flip the Switch" on Twitter and all the proceeds will go towards mental health awareness/research and suicide prevention.

Never assume you know what someone else's life is like from how big or small their presence/audience is and it shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether they have the right to experience sadness/anxiety/etc or not. Mental Illness doesn't discriminate and it can happen to anyone. Take care of yourself, love yourself, but most importantly, cut yourself some slack. It's so easy to be hard on ourselves because of all the standards we're setting based on what's expected of us, but don't do it at the cost of your well-being and sanity.

Behind every avatar and username is a human being who is dealing with their own struggles and emotions so always make an effort to show them kindness. 

I've been watching Etika since 2014, mostly for Smash and Nintendo news. He was always so excitable and hyped, it was contagious.

To hear that he's gone is like a punch in the gut. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Rest in peace, my dude.

Man, that was kinda sad to see him pass away from suicide. He really shouldn't kill himself over his problems, suicide is never the answer and I did heard that someone kills themselves on purpose that never go to heaven and they can actually get send straight to hell which it's a terrible thing to do. Rest In Peace to Etika.

By the way, why did Etika kill himself for? Was it his obsession with losing and accidentally deleted his entire content in YouTube, his arrest with the police that happened weeks ago, family problems, or was it something bad happened to Etika like someoneone sended him a death threat towards Etika?

Edited by King Marth 64