Thracia 776, Salem's Sleep Staff

Gaia093

If he uses it up while he's an enemy, will he have a new one when he joins on Ch. 12x or is it gone forever, bar Hammerne restoration?

Otherwise, preserving it seems like a tall order. I've heard that he's less prone to attack units in Forest tiles and yes, I'm aware you're safe with 8 or more Magic points.

My plan was to have Mareeta get close to him as soon as possible, then Warp someone like Orsin there and Capture him, but depending on his whims the staff might be gone by then.

Edited by Gaia093
A typo.

If he uses it all up it will be a broken staff in his inventory, only recoverable by Hammerne. He has a chance of not using it even when he able, but warping someone in to capture him asap is your best option for saving it. Do note that you can warp units into the blackness of the fog of war, so you could warp someone adjacent to him on turn one if you look up or remember his starting position.

Salem seems really random in his use of Sleep, they should've written some rules for it. I don't know what exactly, maybe if "Unit is on Forest, House, or Shop, do NOT use Sleep", therefore if everyone is on one of these tiles, he is certain not to use it at all?

Also, Mareeta can actually Capture Salem, and she starts pretty close to him unlike everyone else. Luna procs and Criticals (12-13 a pop) lets her do this. The only issue, and it's a biggie, is that Mareeta is precisely OHKO'ed by Salem, so she has either Luna-Crit or deal any combo of the two separately on her first two hits, or she has to dodge the Jormundgar and finish him with that glorious 5 PCC.

Or, you can fly Karin with a Pure Water to give Mareeta the durability to take a hit. But poison damage might be able to kill her on the next turn even then.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

In the end I just warped Asbel on the first turn and wrecked Salem. At first I was trying it out with Macha but she didn't quite get the job done, and Orsin began the mission too far from Safiya so I'd need to wait an extra turn to use him, so I just grabbed my overpowered sage friend from the reserves. The mission was smooth sailing from that point onwards.

I agree that it'd have been nice if Salem had some clear-cut rules for staff usage. Sometimes he'd spam it from as early as the first turn, sometimes he'd go for five turns without lifting a finger. All in all, a well spent use of Warp, and I'm glad I got another one of these on 12x.

Salem has a 50% chance to act each turn i.e. coin-flip chance to use his Sleep Staff. This kind of AI setting is present in a number of enemies throughout the game e.g. Tina in Ch 12x, the Ch 14 boss, the Dark Mages in Ch 23, etc.

3 hours ago, Gaia093 said:

All in all, a well spent use of Warp, and I'm glad I got another one of these on 12x.

you should probably save the Sleep staff especially if you'll decide to take the East route once you reach chapter 15. in the next chapters, only the Sleep staff will allow you to obtain the rare Sleep swords from enemy units, and also recruit a new enemy unit.

27 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

you should probably save the Sleep staff especially if you'll decide to take the East route once you reach chapter 15. in the next chapters, only the Sleep staff will allow you to obtain the rare Sleep swords from enemy units, and also recruit a new enemy unit.

There is also the Thief Staff.
Probably the better option, I'd say. Makes it easier to use it to obtain even more Sleep Swords.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

There is also the Thief Staff.
Probably the better option, I'd say. Makes it easier to use it to obtain even more Sleep Swords.

it depends: the Sleep staff can be used by anybody as long as they have the right rank for it.

the Thief staff should be an exclusive item for Tina, but i could be wrong. i never used it so far, so i can't say for sure if it's available for other units too.

the traditional way would be: sleep an enemy unit » capture him » take his Sleep sword » trade it to another sword user with an high enough rank for it » use it to sleep and capture other enemy units » rinse and repeat.

otherwise, he could just use both Sleep/Thief staffs in order to get the Sleep swords with less risks involved. Safy and/or Nanna should have a good rank in staffs by that point, if they were trained enough.

Edited by Fenreir

The Thief Staff is exclusive for Tina, yeah. I wish it weren't but it's not that much of a limitation anyway (some level-ups plus Pure Water/Ensorcel should let me steal just about anything).

And sure, I'm saving up the Sleep Staff for whenever I need it most, only used it once so far for capturing Trude on 12x before he fled (since I recruited Parn on turn 1). I'm the kind who ends up at the last boss with all sorts of great tools left unused because "hey, who knows when I will really need it".

I can tell you that you will need it when more enemies with Sleep or other nasty statuses show up. Statuses are permanent while Restore Staffs are limited and have few charges. So it's best to shut down enemies with status staffs using your own status staffs.

Edited by BrightBow