New Pokemon Masters Details!

Anacybele

We got some new info on the game today and it's looking great! 😄

First there's this anime-style trailer that doesn't show off gamplay, but is still cool nonetheless and gives us an idea on the story. We meet and recruit trainers and try to build the best trainer team! Each trainer comes with one Pokemon, like Brock with Onix or Cynthia with Garchomp.

There's this too, an extension of the above video.

There's also this article that goes more into detail on the details.

https://nintendosoup.com/pokemon-masters-to-launch-summer-2019-more-gameplay-details-shared/

It doesn't seem to be a gacha like some people thought, it looks like we only recruit trainers to our team through the story. But there are in-app purchases, so I do wonder what that will be for!

Edited by Anacybele

Talk about a surprise!

It looks great. They remembered Kris! We haven't seen her since Crystal! I thought she was doomed to live on through Pokemon Adventures but nope! She's here and I couldn't be happier!

As someone who loves the actual human characters more than the Pokemon, seeing so many characters from all the generations is just ticking all the right boxes!

Red, Blue, Silver, Kris, Steven, Barry...ahhh, some of my absolute favourites!

It seems that some trainers are gonna be paired up for a reason - we see Norman and Brendan together as a father-son tag team, which is really nice.

I'll definitely be downloading this, it looks really good!

Yeah, I see several of my favorites too, including Cynthia, Rosa, and Barry!

Only certain characters will be available at launch, but more will be added over time, of course.

I’ve been a strong believer in this game since it was announced, and that hasn’t changed after the trailer. A lot of my favorites such as Silver, Hilbert, Hilda, Whitney, Skyla, Lusamine, and Steven are already in from the start, so that’s a huge plus (still gotta wait for Morty, Mallow, and Ethan tho). This game looks great and I’ll definitely be playing it once it launches.

I will note that it’s probably a gacha unless explicitly noted otherwise since being able to recruit other trainers through the story is probably just a F2P friendly way of adding to your team as opposed to simply relying on your resources from the get go (phew). Also keep in mind that DeNa (a developer for this game) is responsible for many of Nintendo’s mobile games, almost all of which have a gacha mechanic. Hell, even the new Mario Kart will have gacha mechanics... for some reason. If it truly isn’t, then I’ll be curious to see how it tries to make a profit here.

Edited by Silverly

So there's no confirmation it's a gacha yet.

The fact DeNA's involved means I still expect it to be, but we'll see.

Other than that, it's about as you'd expect for a crossover that's just "We're doing this, we're making things happen". And that's fine, so long as the characters are fine. We've getten positive signs so far, but we'll see how much that holds up whenever it comes out.

Hot take: Pokemon Masters is looking better than SwSh imo.

Masters is looking really good, gameplay-wise [well from the little that we were shown] and graphically, especially for a mobile game so there's some genuine excitement there for me. They're definitely gonna be implementing some form of in-app purchases though so we're just gonna have to wait and see the full extent of that.

Otherwise I'm hype for Red, Blue, Cynthia and the rest of the trainers throughout all the generations

Edited by ShadowEFX

24 minutes ago, Dayni said:

So there's no confirmation it's a gacha yet.

There is. You're not gachaing for the trainers on your team. You get them through the story.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

There is. You're not gachaing for the trainers on your team. You get them through the story.

I didn't see any explicit mention of this in the video or in the article. It does say free to start, with in app purchases.

So it could have trainers unlocked as you progress in game and a gacha element. I'm saying I've not seen a mention, which I'm not happy to be saying. If it is confirmed, where?

57 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I didn't see any explicit mention of this in the video or in the article. It does say free to start, with in app purchases.

So it could have trainers unlocked as you progress in game and a gacha element. I'm saying I've not seen a mention, which I'm not happy to be saying. If it is confirmed, where?

Uh, it says right in the video and article that you meet trainers on your journey and they join you that way.

During the game, players will explore Pasio and befriend various Trainers on the island, forming teams with them

This is a quote right from the article. This implies that we recruit the trainers as we're exploring the island. The video implied the same too, showing how they meet Eirika and recruit her after she's defeated.

Edited by Anacybele

There are characters in gacha games that can be recruited via the story.  For instance, Fjorm and Eir in FEH.  Just the fact we can get characters via plot does not rule out the possibility of this being a gacha.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, it says right in the video and article that you meet trainers on your journey and they join you that way.

This is a quote right from the article. This implies that we recruit the trainers as we're exploring the island. The video implied the same too, showing how they meet Eirika and recruit her after she's defeated.

Which I didn't disagree with. I was trying to confirm the absence of a gacha element, which we haven't gotten yet.

I would rather not have to see topics like "Argh fuck couldn't get OG Brendan!" or "I got all the Kalos friends from the banner at once!"

25 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

There are characters in gacha games that can be recruited via the story.  For instance, Fjorm and Eir in FEH.  Just the fact we can get characters via plot does not rule out the possibility of this being a gacha.

Yeah, but in initial trailers of Heroes, we saw the gacha at work. The trailer narrator was trying to get Lon'qu. We've not seen any such thing in any of the trailers for Pokemon Masters so far, so I think if we were going to have to pull for trainers in a gacha the same way we pull characters in Heroes, we'd have known by now.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but in initial trailers of Heroes, we saw the gacha at work. The trailer was trying to get Lon'qu. We've not seen any such thing in any of the trailers for Pokemon Masters so far, so I think if we were going to have to pull for trainers in a gacha the same way we pull characters in Heroes, we'd have known by now.

It just feels like this is really obviously a "gacha game scenario" to me.  Part of the appeal of a gacha is the collectathon, which seems quite emphasized here.  So while there's a possibility it's not a gacha, I'm not going to assume it isn't until we're told directly "this is not a gacha" or the game releases with no gacha.    

Heroes was also fully announced about a week away from release, while this seems to be a few months out.  So there's still plenty of time to explain a gacha mechanic if one exists.  

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

It just feels like this is really obviously a "gacha game scenario" to me.  Part of the appeal of a gacha is the collectathon, which seems quite emphasized here.  So while there's a possibility it's not a gacha, I'm not going to assume it isn't until we're told directly "this is not a gacha" or the game releases with no gacha.    

Heroes was also fully announced about a week away from release, while this seems to be a few months out.  So there's still plenty of time to explain a gacha mechanic if one exists.  

The release for Masters is planned for this summer, so it could be as soon as one month, actually. But who knows, honestly.

Looks interesting so far. I might try it out assuming I have room on my phone for it. I'm always happy to see Red (who got an amazing new look in this game) and Blue but once again it seems Green/Leaf went missing. Hopefully she is also in the game and is revealed later on since it looks like Red and Blue are going to be CPU teammates and it would make sense if their third member was Green/Leaf.

57 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Aside from the possibility of there being a trainer gacha they haven't mentioned yet, it's also possible that you'd be able to get every trainer for free through story and events, but then they have an equipment gacha that can alter a trainer's abilities or Pokemon, a la FF Dissidia mobile.

So just because the trainers might not be obtained through gacha doesn't mean there won't be a gacha.

1 hour ago, NSSKG151 said:

Looks interesting so far. I might try it out assuming I have room on my phone for it. I'm always happy to see Red (who got an amazing new look in this game) and Blue but once again it seems Green/Leaf went missing. Hopefully she is also in the game and is revealed later on since it looks like Red and Blue are going to be CPU teammates and it would make sense if their third member was Green/Leaf.

I mean, if they remembered Kris, and we also remember that Leaf appeared in Let's Go, I don't see why they'd forget her.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I mean, if they remembered Kris, and we also remember that Leaf appeared in Let's Go, I don't see why they'd forget her.

I know, all I was trying to say was it would have been cool to see her standing side by side with Red and Blue in the trailer. Instead I get to play the speculation game of whether she is going to be in the game at launch or if she will be coming later down the line since I don't think every single character is going to be in the game at launch.

42 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I know, all I was trying to say was it would have been cool to see her standing side by side with Red and Blue in the trailer. Instead I get to play the speculation game of whether she is going to be in the game at launch or if she will be coming later down the line since I don't think every single character is going to be in the game at launch.

It states that not everyone will be there at launch. There's a list of who will be available at launch and Leaf isn't there, unfortunately. But it says more will be added down the line.

If it is a gacha game then they released it too late to make money off the obligatory swimsuit and bride banners.

Not interested in...whatever this game might end up being. I guess the trainer special moves are cool because it's basically more Z Moves for anybody bummed at them not returning in sword and shield.