since the "Member Feedback" section of the forum is apparently locked out of posting(at least to me), i decided to open a topic here. feel free to move it if necessary.

Β 

anyway, i've noticed that there's some characters missing from the Awakening list(and not only from that one), such as Emmeryn, Priam, Aversa, etc.

i wanted to ask: wouldΒ it be possible to have a full list of characters badges available, be them fromΒ Awakening and/or other titles from the FE franchiseΒ eventually?

@JyosuaΒ @VincentASMΒ i'd like toΒ know if it's something doable or not, becauseΒ if it requires specific sizes and types of files, i'm willing to give a hand for those about Awakening, just for the sake of having something new once in a while.

3 hours ago, Fenreir said:

since the "Member Feedback" section of the forum is apparently locked out of posting(at least to me), i

well that wasn't supposed to happen. fixed that up.

Β 

i won't speak with perfect authority here since the badge system vastly predates me, but the general ideas are:

1: site storage - every badge has to be permanently stored serverside. a little .png like that doesn't seem like much, but fire emblem's got, what, five million characters about now, and that space is also being jockeyed for by server theme images, user avatars, anything you add as a post attachment, etc. etc. and we do pay cash dollars for that storage!

2: implementation - the images have to be cut to very specific dimensions that, bluntly, don't work for all characters' OAs, particularly with the post-processing that comes from adding the frame and text to the image. add to that that some characters don't even have good quality OA available, and some have multiple, and the idea of approaching completion (particularly as new games release) becomes a really low priority - or, actually, impossible, as some characters are reserved for staff badges per tradition.

combined: if it's infeasible to ever approach completion, and having more badges that single digit members will actually use takes time and money, the solution is to have a curated list of reasonably popular characters as the badge selection list.

so if it's nominally popular characters then why is laura in the list, ike

that's because we had a voting contest to add new badges back when i was just a member and i did a massive vote corruption and got a bunch of people to vote for laura as a favor to me and like four people use the badge site-wide and i think vincent still hates me for it 😎

Β 

anyway the higher-ups can correct me if any of this is wrong but this is my understanding

8 hours ago, Integrity said:

i won't speak with perfect authority here since the badge system vastly predates me, but the general ideas are:

1: site storage - every badge has to be permanently stored serverside. a little .png like that doesn't seem like much, but fire emblem's got, what, five million characters about now, and that space is also being jockeyed for by server theme images, user avatars, anything you add as a post attachment, etc. etc. and we do pay cash dollars for that storage!

2: implementation - the images have to be cut to very specific dimensions that, bluntly, don't work for all characters' OAs, particularly with the post-processing that comes from adding the frame and text to the image. add to that that some characters don't even have good quality OA available, and some have multiple, and the idea of approaching completion (particularly as new games release) becomes a really low priority - or, actually, impossible, as some characters are reserved for staff badges per tradition.

combined: if it's infeasible to ever approach completion, and having more badges that single digit members will actually use takes time and money, the solution is to have a curated list of reasonably popular characters as the badge selection list.

i see. well, if that's the case, then i understand why there's mostly main characters and not all secondary ones.

8 hours ago, Integrity said:

that's because we had a voting contest to add new badges back when i was just a member and i did a massive vote corruption and got a bunch of people to vote for laura as a favor to me and like four people use the badge site-wide and i think vincent still hates me for it 😎

would it be possible to check wich badges are used the most? because if there's badges that never gets used, we could remove themΒ in order to give their spot to new ones.

thinking about it, we could eventually make forum events about badges once in a while, either polls or even something similar to Voting GauntletsΒ from Heroes for each FE title in terms of characters popularity(of course, always if there's enough space available and the will to do it).

i'll just leave the idea here for now.Β in any case, thanks for your time.

Edited by Fenreir