Prediction/Theory: School Phase will be 3 Years

I'm not seeing where Lysithea's profile confirms she's a first year, merely that the child prodigy is the youngest in her class (because, in case I wasn't clear, she's a child prodigy).

Most of the front end (School phase) is new ground and a new way to manage an FE game working with the setting, and about long enough to get to know/like all 24 characters spread between the three houses. With paralogues and school antics to help you interact with all the players before the 'real plot' (for lack of a subtler phrasing) begins. Meaning the more plot heavy war phase being longer is a more reasonable place to 'add to' the plot. Although we don't know how long the game is, but it is more reasonable for the War Phase to be 24-36 chapters than the school phase, just on accounts of narrative momentum.

But this all seems to be based on pattern reading and wants, not actual statements of the game itself. And pattern reading is fun, but hardly definitive, there are too many variables in play right now.

8 hours ago, HTakara82 said:

The only way that the academy will only take place in a single year is if the school itself is only a year. Which is entirely impossible, but at the same time... how can you train military officers and world leaders in a single year?

There are armies in the world where the officiers academy lasts for as few as 3-4 months, so a year it's really not that little. Consider also that the students are 18-20 years old so they must already have some form of education (and the fact that Lysithea was admitted because she's a prodigy tells us that there are requirements to join this place).

8 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

"This year", but we also haven't seen any older students.

I think this is the most definite proof. Although had they wanted to include more years this would have been a hurdle and therefore they may have thought of an excuse. It would be weird having all or most of the older students be generic NPCs. Also, even if the school opened this year for the first time, you'd have to include younger students during the second year as well. Though you could probably come up with an excuse there as well.

That said I'd actually like the academy phase to be fairly long. I just like playing slow and taking my time as long as the management is fun enough. I don't want to have that deadline feeling close from the very beginning. A year in game (or even three if that happens to be the case) won't actually last that long for real.

I wonder if the weather will change with the seasons by the way.

2 hours ago, timon said:

There are armies in the world where the officiers academy lasts for as few as 3-4 months, so a year it's really not that little. Consider also that the students are 18-20 years old so they must already have some form of education (and the fact that Lysithea was admitted because she's a prodigy tells us that there are requirements to join this place).

Like West Point? oh wait that's 4 to 8 years... uh... is it like some 3rd world country in Africa or South America? you'll need to give a real life example and not just throw out something like this without backing it up. 

Didn't they specifically say that recruiting students from other houses is very hard/near impossible? That suggests that there is a 'time limit' for the school phase and I think three years (at least 36 battles!!!) is plenty of time to recruit many if not all of the students. Also, with the nature of Fire Emblem games, I don't think they'll make the school phase too laid back in which you can take your time and slowly explore all the possibilities (this is to make sure the game can still be challenging post time skip, prevent players from being burned out before the main plot and to also apply some pressure to your role as a teacher). I'm assuming you get to explore your role as a teacher for a few months and to develop a plan. After that, you will really have to allocate resources properly to achieve whatever your goals are before the time skip. 

@HTakara82

Here is the video where the school phase is stated to last a "full school year." They mention it around the 37 second mark.

Also Japanese schools start in April, not March, and they typically follow a three semester schedule, not two.

Lastly, West Point Military Academy is a university, not an Officer's Academy. It lasts 4 years because its graduates receive 4 year degrees upon graduation in addition to officer training as an elective. US officer training at the Officer Candidate School lasts only 12 weeks.

EDIT: Sorry if this comes across as curt; I just wanted to point a few things out.

Edited by Landjager

51 minutes ago, Landjager said:

@HTakara82

Here is the video where the school phase is stated to last a "full school year." They mention it around the 37 second mark.

Also Japanese schools start in April, not March, and they typically follow a three semester schedule, not two.

Lastly, West Point Military Academy is a university, not an Officer's Academy. It lasts 4 years because its graduates receive 4 year degrees upon graduation in addition to officer training as an elective. US officer training at the Officer Candidate School lasts only 12 weeks.

EDIT: Sorry if this comes across as curt; I just wanted to point a few things out.

US also has direct commission for specialized officers such as medical, nursing, JAG, chaplain,

which their BOLC only lasts 6 weeks since they are not expect to participate direct combat.

5 hours ago, HTakara82 said:

Like West Point? oh wait that's 4 to 8 years... uh... is it like some 3rd world country in Africa or South America? you'll need to give a real life example and not just throw out something like this without backing it up. 

Uhm, you come off a bit rude tbh, considering this whole discussion is based on a theory (which is already a bit wrong seen as it has been said that it's 12 months...).

Anyway as other users have already pointed out, you're mixing up universities and officer schools. The former is a complete (usually heavy on law and history) degree with added military training, at the end of the course you not only become an officer, but you get a degree in military science/political science/something like that depending on the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_candidate_school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_academy

The setting in Three Houses definitely suggests that it's officer training, not a complete university.

PS: also even if we were talking about military colleges, I wouldn't take WestPoint as the prime example considering it's the academy of the most militarized state in the world. In Italy for example it's just 2 years and France is something similar IIRC.

I doubt they have modeled the academy in Three Houses after any 21th century military school in any country, so it's probably quite pointless to argue about the length of the education in those (it seems to vary a lot anyway, so everything would remain possible even if that was the case).

I think we'll just have to wait and see.

26 minutes ago, timon said:

PS: also even if we were talking about military colleges, I wouldn't take WestPoint as the prime example considering it's the academy of the most militarized state in the world. In Italy for example it's just 2 years and France is something similar IIRC.

I wouldn't say US is the most militarized country out there. Countries like South Korea or Israel are easily far more militarized as they prepare for total war at any time, with many fortifications dotting their countryside, and a number of EU states just reactivate conscription recently.

But I agree with @Siskan, there is really no point using 21st Century western military to judge how a Fire Emblem game would run.

1 hour ago, timon said:

Uhm, you come off a bit rude tbh, considering this whole discussion is based on a theory (which is already a bit wrong seen as it has been said that it's 12 months...).

Anyway as other users have already pointed out, you're mixing up universities and officer schools. The former is a complete (usually heavy on law and history) degree with added military training, at the end of the course you not only become an officer, but you get a degree in military science/political science/something like that depending on the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Officer_candidate_school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_academy

The setting in Three Houses definitely suggests that it's officer training, not a complete university.

I know, I'm a bit of a dick tbqh

But in any case, it's not just military training, it's also to prepare them for the roles of being world leaders. The point is, the academy is extremely important in the world's society. Making it equivalent to training for a plumbing license is pretty laughable.

I don't know what your experience is with Japanese media such as anime and other games that have a school like setting, but they tend to borrow their own school system into whatever setting they're in. I've yet to see an exception. Even this game starts in the spring, which is when Japanese schools starts the school year, as oppose to the west which starts in the fall. It's not too far-fetch to lend the possibility of them going with their standard 3 year schooling system. 

1 minute ago, HTakara82 said:

I don't know what your experience is with Japanese media such as anime and other games that have a school like setting, but they tend to borrow their own school system into whatever setting they're in. I've yet to see an exception. Even this game starts in the spring, which is when Japanese schools starts the school year, as oppose to the west which starts in the fall. It's not too far-fetch to lend the possibility of them going with their standard 3 year schooling system. 

Well it's been proven that they're not going to have a 3 year schooling system by the video, so the question is sorta moot at this point.

Just now, HTakara82 said:

I don't know what your experience is with Japanese media such as anime and other games that have a school like setting, but they tend to borrow their own school system into whatever setting they're in. I've yet to see an exception.

you'll need to give a real example and not just throw out something like this without backing it up

5 hours ago, Landjager said:

@HTakara82

Game Spot =/= official, they're just saying whatever based on their hands on at e3. If this was an accepted fact, every site would have reported this as such. But its just some unknown chick who played the demo. 

Spring is spring, and my example is just that, an example. You're taking it too literally.

Same thing Academy and University is synonyms 

Academy - A place to study

University - An institution of learning

28 minutes ago, PurpleHairedMage said:

you'll need to give a real example and not just throw out something like this without backing it up

oh look, someone trying to be a smart ass, but too bad it's so easy to make you look stupid

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/23/School

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

My thoughts are the school phase will be 12 months. Some paralogues expire around February. Assuming April is the first month then that'll be around 10 months in. I assume towards the end of the school phase things get pretty crazy like the black beasts breaking into walls at what looked to be on school grounds. That's why I believe the school phase will not be three years on top of what Gamespot and the tree house demonstration stated. Feel free to come back and laugh at me if I'm wrong.

Edited by kerwinbm11

It's 1 year (12 chapters, 1 chapter per month). This has been posted many times before already.

also lol @ people trying to use real life school schedules to justify a calendar in a FANTASY game.

Edited by bufkus