Hero, Don't Kill The Demon King! Chapter 1: Lives Not Yet Thrown Away

Nanami Touko

Marina graciously took what was handed to her, "Thank you, Agni." I don't believe you should be stingy. She shook her head at the thought, she didn't need to eat as much as she thought. Enough to supplement. Taking a seat, she bit into a piece of jerky. Her expression shined for a brief minute, the nostalgia of having one of her favorite snacks from back home made her extremely happy. She knew it'd need to simmer down a bit before someone got on her case for her brief moment of serenity, and her faced turned into a more focused look, continuing to eat like she'd never eaten before. The bread tasted pretty good too.

The girl took her time just watching and listening to everyone talk to one-another. It was something she needed to be doing. Despite everything, I am leading this group. I need to start acting more like it, and that's exactly what she did. One quick note was Xalrei's entrance to the group. She wanted to greet the dragonewt, but she knew better than that (Agni not helping much either). Marina felt it'd take a long time for Xalrei to warm up to her, but she prayed it'd be sooner than anticipated.

Then Marina listened to the conversation between Agni and Lavinia. A muscular, fit Lavinia was practically what Marina imagined of the vampire. She was glad someone else seemed just as happy about food as she was; it wasn't as embarrassing as she thought. Marina clung to points the two made to each other,

It's just endearing. Human.

None of me is human.

Almost without thinking, Marina suddenly interjected, "I think the opposite. There's just as much human about you than there would be demon about humans. We all live, think, laugh, all that stuff," She took another bite from her bread, looking away briefly, then looking back after swallowing, "Demons may have their unique quirks, but humans have theirs too. Sorry, that might not mean much from me. That's just my observation," and she returned to eating.

Edited by Silver Gallade

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Well IIIIIII think that Lavinia's superb physique is a charm point." Nessraya chimed in, flopping against the vampire's back, the stronger demon more than capable of supporting her meager weight. Still lightly humming to herself, tail swinging about in the air, Nessraya buried her face in Lavinia's shoulder nonchalantly, wings hovering her far enough off the ground to maintain such a feat despite the difference in height.

"Of course, she's very shy, which you wouldn't expect. Would you believe, looking at us two, that she's more scared of me than I of her? At least, if she isn't, she puts on a marvelous show."

Xalrei was clearly bothered by Agni's greeting. Good, that had been the intention. "It's common courtesy to greet your fellow squadmates in the morning, nothing else. Enjoy your food." With an 'I didn't do anything' intonation to his voice, Agni explained himself and let the dragoness go if she so wished. To him, it was merely the satisfaction of challenging her temper with something that wasn't even unpolite, technically.

"Your body was once human despite your turning, Lavinia. I wouldn't say none." He'd go further, but it seemed Marina had taken over on that point... took it somewhere he wasn't sure about, but Marina did sympathize with monsters more than himself. "So underneath that armor you're truly built. Interesting." Even Nessraya had sneaked and chimed in, at some point. "Stregth has its charms. There are some men that fancy their wives as dainty trophies back at the kingdom --I couldn't disagree more--." That Lavinia was supposedly scared of Ness was amusing to Agni, though not beyond his understanding. "My, have you done something to her, Nessraya?"

So that was his game, huh? Well, she wasn't going to play along this time. "I'd say it's a bit early for you to be calling yourself that, don't you think?" She wanted to say more, to escalate it much further, but that would just playing into his smug little hands. Between Nessraya and Asami she'd had enough of that for one morning. "Anyway, thank you, I will." In its own way, it was satisfying to not give Agni the rise he'd wanted.

Xalrei raised an eyebrow at Marina's impromptu ideal spouting, pausing mid-bite of her bread. Even with Marina being a bit of a special case, hearing those words from a human wasn't something Xalrei thought would happen in the span of her lifetime given the current situation. Problem was that, as far as she was concerned, it was limited to Marina. It was people like Mr. Snoble over there who needed to think and say that for any real change to happen.

"You know why I'm afraid of you, Nessraya. Now off. Don't get too close to me." Lavinia nudged the succubus away, taking steps away from all of them. Marina's words were... Naive. She was, so it made sense, but that didn't make them any more pleasant to hear. "Your thoughts are appreciated, Marina, Agni, but... It is not that simple. Will not be that simple for quite a long time, so... Focus, on what's ahead of you, instead of what's 'human', about me. Please." She made her way towards a tent, beginning to dismantle it, getting it ready for carrying. They would likely make it to Narvi within the day, but if they didn't, she didn't want those with less constitution being caught out in the cold of the night.

"Try to finish what you're eating, everyone! We move out, soon."

Asami could only sigh... "You really pushed her buttons good there~" No further hints, why give out relationship help for free? They could figure out Lavinia for themselves, or suffer trying.

The walk was long, but at the least not difficult. Trails were aplenty across the plains of Vaia, making walking easy on the feet, no brush or tall grass to deal with. It did put them out in the open, but with Lavinia on constant watch, and Asami's ears to pick up anything, they were moderately safe. Travel lasted several hours, the sun beating down on the group, though the country was windy, a comfortable combination at least. With Narvi coming up after one more pathway, according to the map the vampire carried, they would be able to rest their weary feet soon... But not soon enough.

"Lavinia," Asami quickly spoke, tone serious and without humor. "There's a quarrel up ahead... Sounds like bandits, but, it might be deserters, as well. We should be careful." Her shuriken had already slipped into her hand, ready to engage at a moment's notice, if it became necessary.

"A fight, is it... In broad daylight no less, their target must be carrying some rather precious cargo. To arms, everyone!" Lavinia brandished her bow, setting down the tent she was carrying. They were this close to Narvi, they could come back for their tents once the fighting was finished.

"Wh-- we're fighting!? We can go around! Avoid them!" Asami scoffed, huffing and whining.

"And turn my back on the people of this country? Why are we out here in the first place? Come now, Asami, you should know better..." Despite the sun harming her, Lavinia was off first, the fox groaning behind her.

"Fine! Hhhh, everyone, come on, then! Earn your keep or, some nonsense..."

The sight they came upon was a bit... Odd. Bandits, yes, but monsters and humans, seemingly working together. They surrounded a rather impressive looking wagon, pulled by Nightmares!? Lavinia was awestruck for a moment, whoever owned this wagon must have been important, wealthy, or both. The bandits numbered some fifteen... Maybe twenty men, in total. An impressive number, but nothing that would stop her, at least. "Surrender your weapons and stand down, vermin!"

"Huh-- What!? Wh... Where did you all, how-- Ahh! Boss! Booooooooss!" One of the men on the edge of battle was spooked nearly senseless by the sudden group, running away towards the one that seemed to be in charge. The others near him noticed Marina and her entourage, readying their weapons.

"As if it would be that easy..." Lavinia nocked an arrow, preparing herself to put some fools down.

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

It was a damn shame the rifle seated beside her, leaning back against the front of the wagon, was inoperable. Jade couldn't help but regret that fact with disappointment. While its primary purpose was deterrence, and usually just being seen was enough in that regard, if she'd been able to fire a shot off into the air that would have helped run off this odd mix of brigands that had set upon her, slowly closing the distance, circling around and surrounding her as she'd rolled up to the fork in the road. Maybe she could still achieve the same affect with a smaller sidearm? Producing her pistol, the dead woman decided to test the idea.

Grimacing as she squeezed the trigger, the report ringing out loud near her ears, and the acrid curl of smoke from the barrel being a far less pleasant cousin to the issue her pipe would produce, Jade yelled out a few words to accompany the gesture. "I expect you've mistaken me for some easy mark. Dispense with this tomfoolery at once, and let me pass unmolested."

This really was a queer situation though, the zombie couldn't help but muse. She wasn't loaded up with anything especially valuable, a fact that any reputable bandit crew casing out merchants would surely have known. Jade had driven into Vaia loaded up with arms and armor, intending to make a killing unloading to a needy populace defending themselves from an invasion, but unfortunately she had been unable to get ahead of the "hero's" forces. Having found out this news in Tepel, she'd begun selling stock piecemeal to settlements along the way--nobody wanted to deal in the bulk she'd brought, but every place could use a little. While she still ended up taking a bit of a loss, it wasn't near as bad as it could have been. What was bad was that now there was no real cohesive theme to the cargo she'd picked up, also piecemeal, to replace what she'd sold. Right now the merchant was honestly carrying a little bit of everything: flax, wheat, horseshoes, nails, soap, lye, cinnamon(!), candles, beeswax, etc. And the few weapons Jade hadn't managed to part with yet, as the case would have it. The "cursed sword" she'd picked up on a lark, disbelieving the superstition its peddler had tried to surround it with, was, of course, one of the ones that remained. Bad sales tactic that, actually. While it's fine to add some flair and mystery, pique someone's curiosity, you don't pour it on as thick as he had. Why, it was almost as if he believed it was actually dangerous. Whatever, though, she got it for a song, so... worth!

No, though, this had to be some sort of spontaneous ambush, which was worse all around. Unlike when dealing with professional highwaymen, one couldn't usually cut a deal with these spur-of-the-moment types. It always boiled down to a fight. Jade remembered to breathe in so that she could sigh with exasperation. She'd probably spend the next week stitching herself together after this.

--Surrender your weapons and stand down, vermin!

Cocking her head in confusion, Jade turned to the unexpected sound of... who exactly, and why?

Calling out to the new arrivals, "You're not with them, then I take it?" An exercise in stating the obvious, but, as good a place to start as any. "Don't you mind when I think about pulling up a little closer, then, borrowing your support. Careful of my girls though," Jade leaned forward and patted one of the nightmares. "You wouldn't like them when they're angry. Which... they're probably gonna be, given the situation."

Edited by Balcerzak

"Not in the slightest!" Lavinia couldn't quite make out their temporary ally, the sun too strong for her eyes. "Make your way over and we'll steer clear of the beasts. Fools this lot, thinking they can attack so brazenly in broad dayl--"

A gunshot rang out in response to the wagon driver's, Lavinia flinching. A tall and hulking lizardman had approached, gunman at his side, scowling down the group approaching, and the unfortunate merchant. "You are some easy mark. Think a little pistol's gonna scare us off? You're fucked if you think that's enough!" With a howl into surrounding the area, small groups of bandits began to appear through the nearby trees, coming over small hills, coming into view. "Gut them all! Take their goods! Save the women! Ithraxl's gonna throw us all a feast for this!" The bandits cheered, save for one, as they got their weapons ready, and began to take place.

"Charming... In the name of Demon King Thesephine, your lot will be put down!" Lavinia wasn't one to be intimidated by cheap words, glancing at Marina. "Your job starts now, Hero. Let's see if you can manage it."

Player Phase/Turn 1!

TlKTFFy.png

Stats!

Marina fell silent with Lavinia's reaction to what she said. And Asami's very comment, You really pushed her buttons. She wasn't sure if that was meant to directly to her or Agni, or if it was to both, but it made her feel bad if she did offend or hurt Lavinia in some way. She wanted to press her point, but the vampire did have a point. It wasn't time to be worrying about little things like that, Unfortunately, I'm still going to... What bothered her was Lavinia's 'someone'. If that has anything to do with the conversation or if it didn't. Time could only tell, when Marina would have an answer to that, or several other things going through her head as they go forward.

Quickly finishing her food, she savored the last bit of what she had left, and stood, wiping off crumbs and other sort. Hopefully if this world was anything like hers, birds could scavenge those bits for themselves. "Right, gotta get myself to work too." And Marina headed off to start packing things as well...

The march to the next town was long, but thankfully Marina was well-rested and fed... something even her own crusade couldn't do at times. Upon hearing Asami speak to Lavinia, Marina gripped her sword's hilt. She had to be ready to fight, regardless of her feelings. Moving into position, she prepared herself for the worst. Now, she wasn't going to sit and hide behind someone else. This was her mission, and her fight to win.

Marina deploys on 4,22

Marina's sword was in hand, and she took a deep breath. She could see the wagon in the distance, and she prepared to move in and assist, when suddenly, a loud bang echoed across the road. Was that... a gun? She supposed then, this person was more capable than she anticipated. Regardless, it was still a lot for one person to handle.

Soon enough, she was quickly irritated, possibly even angry with the words the bandits used for what they planned. She thought about what that meant for her. If they planned such horrible methods... would it be time to truly bare Myrithali? Swallow the guilt and use it to achieve victory and protect her comrades? She didn't know yet. Maybe...

Your job starts now, Hero, broke her out of her thoughts, and she nodded at the comment by Lavinia, "I'll be fine, Miss Lavinia." She had to be confident in herself, especially in battle. If what she has learned is as accurate as it seemed, she can't keep relying on leaning on Lavinia for help. She had to fight for herself, if she wanted to survive, fix her mistakes, and find her way home...

Lastly, before making her move, she looked to Xalrei, who had point. A sudden fear hit her, but she pushed it away as best as she could. This being threatened her life, but for good reason. And now, the last battle had her fearing for the dragonewt's life. Marina gave one thing, in at least an attempt to let Xalrei know that she was concerned for her, "Please be careful." Hopefully Agni's own actions toward her didn't make it seem like Marina was trying to be condescending. The last thing she wanted was to cause more problems amongst the group.

She took a deep breath, and locked her eyes on a target. That brigand with the axe... a good way to start. "Miss Asami, I'll need a tiny bit of help, if you'd be so kind,"

Marina moves to 7,21

Edited by Silver Gallade

Caring for the newt? A nice showing, at least. Whether or not Xalrei would reciprocate or brush her off again, that was up to the dragon's own maturity. "Alright, then! You chose not to surrender, your life is forfeit!"

Lavinia to 7,20, attack Bandit #1!
Hit!
No Luna!
16 damage!
Lavinia gains +10 EXP, +1 bow WEXP!

"MIss Marina~ Don't prod her too much. You'll never get anywhere if you keep fussing! Also... Away you go again~"

Asami to 6,21, dance that hero!

She felt a sudden refreshment, and let out an exhale. Asami's power was quite something, "Thank you Miss Asami, Miss Lavinia." It's your turn, Hero, "I guess it's time for the 'Hero' to prove her worth," She let herself feel confident, feel strong. This was the time to do it. Pushing her fears and guilts to the side, "You're in our way! Move!" And she charged in to attack!

Marina moves to 8,20! She charges Brigand #1 with her Iron Sword!

Edited by Silver Gallade

Ptessing Lavinia's buttons wasn't necessarily Agni's intention. Regardless, while chatting was good and all, they had a mission to finish... and new horses to fetch.

Agni deploys at (6, 22)!

The road was kinder than expected, but still a slog. Agni was rather irritable from the mediocre sleep and continuous sun shining down on them. The feathered hat he'd earned as a captain helped against the rays, at least, but the heat did no favors over a long walk, not with an outfit like his.

There was some commotion on the road ahead of them, quickly adressed by Lavinia and Asami. Two gunshots in quick succession was not a nice way to start the morning at all, and these horses were absolutely monsters, which probably spoke of the lady's nature. Well, helping monsters again... The enemy group seemed to be... a motley crew? Hold up, that hadn't been a possibility in Agni's wildest dreams. There were monsters and humans here, in the middle of Vaia. Ransacking the dirts roads after a tense, bloody invasion, because of course.

"Vermin. I don't think I've been as disappointed as looking at these men." Agni sighed, tilting his hat slightly forward. "...Oh well."

Agni moves to (9, 21), stabs at Mage #2 with his dagger.

"Cute ambush, but two of you isn't nearly enough." Agni sliced at the man with his dagger, "I'd ask why you'd stoop so low, but a scoundrel doesn't deserve my concern!"

Agni swings, almost as hard as he can!
8 damage!
The mage calls down thunder!
Close!
Doublecast activates!
Ignis!
11 damage!
Agni gains +10 EXP, +2 hidden WEXP!

''What? Monster and man working together? Awfully progressive, are we?'' Gabriela tried to lighten the mood but it was clear that it would just fall on deaf ears. Readying for battle seemed to be the only real option in time like this. She didn't really feel like fighting, but there was no choice if she wanted to earn her keep, as Asami just yelled. Still, she stayed to the back. She wouldn't want to be a target of these savages.

Gabriela deploys at (3, 23)

------------------------------------------------------------

Gabriela had never seen lizardmen before, so she was a little intimidated by the sight of them. However, what surprised her more is that there were humans in the group. While she didn't have anything against them herself, she knew that a lot of them didn't get along and some even considered one another mortal enemies. But all the same, they had to be taken out, so Gabriela prepared her magic and looked for a suitable target. She saw Agni fighting a mage, but he didn't quite take him out. Gabriela was prepared to help. ''Don't worry, Agni. I got this.''

Gabriela moved to (7, 22) and cast her magic on Mage #2.

Edited by Michelaar

Jade to 6,15 fire Pistol at Myrmidon 1

As the wagon trundled closer to the group that had seemingly come to her rescue, Jade noticed its composition was nearly just as odd as that of the bandits waylaying her. What, three humans and five non? If it weren't for the obvious, and continued, animosity between the two, the merchant would have been worried that it was just a splinter cell, trying to earn her trust through aiding her escape, only to take advantage of her once out of sight and then regroup back with their friends. As it was, she was still a little uneasy. For now, anyway. Still, suspicions aside, her current move was abundantly clear. Trying to thin the herd and stay safe.

"Little pistol, huh..." she murmured under her breath. It was hard taking aim at the enemy with all the cover he'd placed himself in, but with a little luck, she'd make the bandit leader eat those words by way of picking off his subordinates, one by one.

They were back on the road again, properly marching this time. Despite everytihng that had happened somethings just never changed. It would almost be amusing if it wasn't so depressing. Last night she'd used Nessraya to run from such thoughts, but on the plains of Vaia there weren't nearly enough places for her mind to try and hide. She was almost thankful that they stumbled upon the admittedly progressive bandits if only for the distraction they gave were about to give her.

"Don't worry yourself over me." She answered MArina as she channeled her draconic magic, her arms and legs crackling with electricity as she forced it to manifest. "Just focus on what's in front of you for now. You're the one that needs to live." Despite her dismissive words, her tone suggested she wasn't entirely put off by the Hero worrying over her.

One of the bandits had positioned himself on a hill, but that wasn't enough, a well placed shot from his would-be victim catching him even with his cover. Her gun wasn't just for show, then. Good to know that she wasn't just a sitting duck. Still, she was probably a very attractive target with her wagon full of who knows what; it wouldn't do to wait for the swordman to leave his cover. 

Xalrei activates High Voltage, moves to 4,16, and lances the myrm.

Well, it seemed that it was time for a bit of intervention. Cleaning up the countryside was why they were here in the first place, so what a better time than now?

Ness to 5,17

Nessraya scoots!

Enemy Phase/Turn 1!

"Have at 'em, boys!"

Everyone moves!

The sword bearing deserter takes a heavy swing at Jade and her wagon!
She takes 9 damage!
A gunshot fires back!
It's wide!
He swings again!
Also wide!
Jade gains +1 gun WEXP!

A scaled woman with an axe dashed towards Jade's wagon, but instead of swinging into her, her horses, or the poor wooden frame, she stopped and stared up at the undead. "Hey! Hey lady! I'm, uh... I'm really not okay with all of this! Can I help you guys instead!?"

Having seen the friendly newt finish what she'd started, Jade pivoted in her driver's seat, angling her weapon south towards the most likely potential incoming. And sure enough, here came the first. Though, that didn't... quite seem like battle posture? Maybe it was the unusual weapon for her build, or maybe the merchant was just overthinking things, but luckily for the scaled oncomer, she didn't shoot before the latter had a chance to call out. And luckily for Jade, the other woman didn't seem keen on fighting. Blinking slowly, twice, Jade lowered her weapon, pointing it away, and deliberately replied. "This is the weirdest way I've seen anyone try to hitchhike, you realize that, right?"

"HItch-- What!? No! Urgh..." Confused and unsure how to respond to something like that in the middle of a battle, the half lizard had to freeze to think, shaking her head after a moment's befuddling. "M-My name's Taliyah! That, idiot over there is my uncle... He said we were gonna steal some stuff, not kill some people, so... I don't want any part of it! If I can help get them off of you guys, at least, then, well, I'd feel a lot better. Can I?"

Oh, is that what's going on? Nodding slowly, Jade felt like she understood. "If you think you can distract them, or turn them away somehow, I'm certainly not inclined to stop you. Can't speak for everyone, far as no killing goes, and sometimes accidents happen when defending yourself, but sure. No harm keeping the dead to a minimum." She shrugged a little. Girl was a touche naive, how young was she? Jade took another closer look. Can't say I really approve of her first plan of ripping me off neither, the merchant mused sourly, making a note to watch Taliyah very carefully.(edited)

"Really!?" A smile, a sigh, relief. "Okay! I can handle this... Probably... And hey! At least you're already dead, right? Don't need to add another body to the count." Taliyah sunk back some, trying to hide herself behind Jade's wagon... Before taking a small peek inside. "You sure got a lotta stuff, lady!"

"Oi, careful back there," Jade called out, ignoring both the urchin's questionable comments. At least outwardly. Of course I've got a lot of goods, wouldn't make any money if I didn't. Being so quickly picked out as one of undead stung a little too, but this was Vaia so it was likely the girl had seen her share of zombies and the like. And well, was only so much proper hygiene could do, after all. The sunken eyes that looked like she hadn't slept in weeks (she hadn't), and the overall unhealthy pallor would certainly be enough telltale signs for anyone with experience, even if there were no visibly gaping wounds, open sores, or rotting odor. Craning her neck in a vain attempt to follow the little rascal before the angle got to be too great, she called out after her. "I'll be moving again soon, not too safe to stay put for long 'n all. Don't want you getting hurt when I do. If you're getting in, climb on, if you're heading back to uncle, go ahead and do that."

"I can keep myself safe! Thanks for worrying, lady." Despite the innocent look on her face, her tail had already slid its way into Jade's wagon, rummaging around for anything to grab. "Let's send these losers packing!"

Taliyah recruited!

"Oi, what!? Traitor!"

"Eek!"

Myrm #2 swings at Taliyah!
Sick dodge!
She heaves her axe back at him!
10 damage!
Another!
But it's wide!
Taliyah gains +11 EXP, +3 axe WEXP!

Player Phase/Turn 2!

E3AaQVg.png

Stats!

To think humans were working with monsters... speaking of monsters, Agni was sure he recognized some of them --their uniforms, at least--. It was a shame, that some groups lacked this much discipline once the war reached its first stalemate. "Enjoying your post? I've thought Vaia had the sense to instill discipline in their soldiers." Agni's scowl towards the deserters held no reservations. "You won't last."

Agni equips the flux spelltomes and moves among the trees at (10,19).

Edited by Xinnidy

A turncoat, was it? Well, that would make things just the slightest bit easier, at the very least. Seeing another deserter close in, Nessraya snarled slightly... they would get theirs.

"You will regret the day you left Vaia in her time of need and turned to banditry, traitor. Burn."

Nessraya to 6,16 and FIRE Deserter 1